• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Incidentally, are you planning to place, for instance, a type of cavalry with Gunpowder, in terms of localization and combat 'value'?

3. Aesthetic issue: I don't like them. :p From the eye of a Japanese, I can't tell you where they come from. Their faces just have typical characteristic of "Asians by the Western view" (eyes, hairstyles etc.), but I can't say whether they are Japanese, Korean or Chinese.

Ha, I know what you mean. You reminded me of this little ol' test: -

Last edited by a moderator:
While Ukiyoe was a later style (17 and 18th century), I would see historical portraits of daimyos. :)

I have asked CrackdToothGrinto draw Japanese (Eastasian) portraits and sent some pictures, but got no response until today. Maybe he is busy on his project.

Actually, I'm busy at work. This is the busiest part of my year, but I would be happy to help. I've already gathered all the research material. The only thing that I need is time.

There are three problems.
1. Legal issue: I am not sure about the copy right issue as you mentioned.
2. Technical issue: portraits of Sengoku are smaller than these of CK2. If I adjust (enlarge) them, the quality of portraits will be bad.
3. Aesthetic issue: I don't like them. :p From the eye of a Japanese, I can't tell you where they come from. Their faces just have typical characteristic of "Asians by the Western view" (eyes, hairstyles etc.), but I can't say whether they are Japanese, Korean or Chinese.

What about sengoku sprites?

Incidentally, are you planning to place, for instance, a type of cavalry with Gunpowder, in terms of localization and combat 'value'?

Renaming or adjusting units for the Sengoku jidai is the next task after the first beta version, and one of the most important things to be changed, since they affect the buildings in this mod too.
There are some possiblities, but I dont think we need currently cavalry with gunpowder like one in Koei. The impact of that unit is doubtable in the real battle. Instad of this, I would add variety for footsoldiers (Ashigaru),

Ha, I know what you mean. You reminded me of this little ol' test:

I have heard that many European artists can draw each of these countries differently, but they cant recognize or point out how different they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'm busy at work. This is the busiest part of my year, but I would be happy to help. I've already gathered all the research material. The only thing that I need is time.

Good to hear that. I was afraid that my pictures were useless or bad quality. There is no big demand on Asian faces, so I will wait for years and years.

What about sengoku sprites?

I dont know wether they can fit in CK2. Even if so, I would avoid to use them in the sight of Copy Right.

Hey if you need help in Japanese, or historical studies I can help. I have some minors in Japanese studies including art and history. Anyways your choice for title a king sized such as Daidaimyo never existed and is grammatically wrong (You can't slap words together when daimyo already means holder of large land). Daimyo still works for a king sized title since originally daimyo was seen as superior than the shugo. Here is my recommendation for title names
Feudal
King = Daimyo
Duke = Shugo
Count = Shugodai
Baron = Tono or Jito

Republics
King = Daijō-daijin
Duke = Bugyō
Count = Myoshu
Mayor = Sonchou

Theocracies
King = Hijiri (literally means saint)
Count = Soroku
Can't think the rest top of my head
Sources: The Cambridge History of Japan

Last edited:
Good to hear that. I was afraid that my pictures were useless or bad quality. There is no big demand on Asian faces, so I will wait for years and years.

Whenever I get the chance to work on them, I'll try my best. Sadly, they may be generic 'Asian' faces, since I'm not to keen on distinguishing the differences. I barely got over the average score in that test linked above. (Side note: I apparently am very good at distinguishing Koreans)

Whenever I get the chance to work on them, I'll try my best. Sadly, they may be generic 'Asian' faces, since I'm not to keen on distinguishing the differences. I barely got over the average score in that test linked above. (Side note: I apparently am very good at distinguishing Koreans)

Don't worry, most Asians I've shown the test to have scored around average, including the Taiwanese and Japanese part of my family. People look more alike that we think. Many Arabs or Berbers would fit quite well in Greece or Spain looks-wise, and a few English would be right at home in Iran or the Levant.

I want to contribute to this mod HARD. I've recently been reading up on Sengoku law, taxation, and land tenures so this subject is heavy on my mind and I'd really like to dive in on units, tactics, buildings, decisions, crown laws, technologies, and pretty much anything else. I'm glad to see you're so far along with the map, clans and cultures because those were the biggest obstacles keeping me from starting a project like this myself.

Hey if you need help in Japanese, or historical studies I can help. I have some minors in Japanese studies including art and history. Anyways your choice for title a king sized such as Daidaimyo never existed and is grammatically wrong (You can't slap words together when daimyo already means holder of large land). Daimyo still works for a king sized title since originally daimyo was seen as superior than the shugo. Here is my recommendation for title names
Feudal
King = Daimyo
Duke = Shugo
Count = Shugodai
Baron = Tono or Jito

Republics
King = Daijō-daijin
Duke = Bugyō
Count = Myoshu
Mayor = Sonchou

Theocracies
Count = Soroku

A few things- lords controlling just a kuni were usually considered Daimyo, and based on the size of the kingdoms Chatnoir has laid out, very few clans would have ever approached daimyo status by these standards. In the actual period, there were maybe 60 clans that could claim status as daimyo, but under that naming scheme we'd probably only see a handful of daimyo in each game. We really ought to reserve daimyo for kuni-level titles and come up with something different for kingdoms (maybe something related to Oda Nobunaga's Tenka Fubu).

Also, regarding myoshu- these were generally smaller landowners and they were quite numerous, so they'd be a good fit for baronies. I don't know of an appropriate term for kori-sized peasant landowners, but I think something above myoshu would be necessary. For the religious titles, I don't have the expertise to comment.

Sadly, they may be generic 'Asian' faces, since I'm not to keen on distinguishing the differences. I barely got over the average score in that test linked above.

It is no problem and it should be, since Umbra Spherae will be appreciated with your face pack. It is better that you generalize Asian faces for multiple countries.

Feudal
King = Daimyo
Duke = Shugo
Count = Shugodai
Baron = Tono or Jito

Republics
King = Daijō-daijin
Duke = Bugyō
Count = Myoshu
Mayor = Sonchou

Theocracies
Count = Soroku

Thanks for the suggestion! I think they come from different periods and different categories (f.e. Daijo Daijin was the highest title at the Imperial Court, and Myoshu was representative of villages), but some of them seem to be useful for terms in this mod.

Thanks for listening to me! Anyways was reading up on more titles since admittedly I looked up those titles with the good old google and a quick skim through my textbooks. For feudal baronies I believe tono is the best choice for this mod since the title Jitō was abolished by the time of Hideoyoshi. If you want titles for republics I checked through my books for more titles that can be applied for this mod.

These titles are nameshi, shōya, sonchou, bugyō, daikan, and koribugyō. It should be noted nameshi and shōya are both village leveled titles but those are titles in different dialects. Bugyō should still be applicable to count and duke titles. Daikan and koribugyō is good for duke and possibly king but Daikan was an Edo era title. Monshu is also a title that could work theocracies such as the ikko-ikki but that title was reserved for monks who controlled a temple. But since the Ikko ikki never completely ruled entire provinces and where a loose confederation it should be applicable to this mod.

These titles are nameshi, shōya, sonchou, bugyō, daikan, and koribugyō. It should be noted nameshi and shōya are both village leveled titles but those are titles in different dialects. Bugyō should still be applicable to count and duke titles. Daikan and koribugyō is good for duke and possibly king but Daikan was an Edo era title. Monshu is also a title that could work theocracies such as the ikko-ikki but that title was reserved for monks who controlled a temple. But since the Ikko ikki never completely ruled entire provinces and where a loose confederation it should be applicable to this mod.

The problem is, Nanushi, Shoya etc. were leader of peasants, and CK2 doesn't have the representative of this social class.

Well Republics and Knight Orders are good options especially if you are going make the Ikko-Ikki playable. Republics are definitely good idea if you include in later bookmarks after European intervention. Nagasaki was for example was at one point controlled by Jesuits and the city in the Edo period were controlled by a rotation of Bafuku appointed governor so that's the best system we have at this moment. Of course we are getting ahead ourselves here, we have to see what the new DLC can offer this mod.

Oh here is the source of all my information just in case you need help.
http://www.history.univ.kiev.ua/dow... Japan/Cambridge History of Japan. Vol. 4.pdf

Ikko-Ikki will be in game, but they will be just as Calif in CK2 vanilla. Surely their domain in Kaga was called as the land governed by peasants, but the province in 1534 was under the strong control of Honganji in Osaka. Shonyo and Kennyo succeeded to establish a centralized structure of the Ikko sect.

As for republics, we will add Sakai and Hakata at first. The contact with Western isn't the plan for the first beta, but it should be included too.