• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MyMap was developed by, basically, a rogue HC member (me), a great mapmaker without an agenda beyond making great maps (the illustrious XieC) a complete AGCEEP outsider (Agung pasha) and our merry band of madmen and contributors.

Early on I had to make the decision of either:
a: Going with the consensus-driven approach of the AGCEEP, and finish MyMap sometime in 2009 or
b: Completely going off and doing my own thing, consensus be damned.

I never asked the AGCEEP to accept MyMap, and I don't blame them for not accepting it. It did sort of mark the crossroads for us, which is kind of ironic since I was one of the two people who put AGCEEP together in the first place, but then again it's kind of in character since I was the one who enabled the AGC to get off the ground marking the initial break with the EEP.

Basically speaking, MyMap was how the MyMap guys wanted it. The same way WATK is how Kasperus wanted it. The AGCEEP guys, a lot of them REALLY didn't want it the way me OR Kasperus did it. They wanted it the way THEY wanted it.

The thing is, I had been modding here long enough to know that, doing things the correct, community driven, peer reviewed way takes 5x as long as it does just doing it the way you think it should be done. Making a new map is a HUGE undertaking, and I wanted to finish sometime that year. So I just up and did it.

AGCEEP will be roughly were MyMap was in 2005 in about a year and a half or so, by my math. It's harder to do, the way they are doing it, so there's no sense criticizing them.

By the way, I inherited my title around the time this thread started, due to the "horrible things I was doing to the map, the community, and their national pride".

MattyG said:
If releasing a fully-integrated AGCEEP on MyMap is so easy, then just do it yourself.

It's pretty easy, but it takes huge amount of time. :)

Mad King James said:
In honor of the sixth year since the Great Second Modding Schism of 2002, I have changed my long-past outdated signature.
Luckily, I held off writing new events for the new map. :rofl:

Mad King James said:
MyMap was developed by, basically, a rogue HC member (me), a great mapmaker without an agenda beyond making great maps (the illustrious XieC) a complete AGCEEP outsider (Agung pasha) and our merry band of madmen and contributors.

a: Going with the consensus-driven approach of the AGCEEP, and finish MyMap sometime in 2009 or

I never asked the AGCEEP to accept MyMap, and I don't blame them for not accepting it. It did sort of mark the crossroads for us, which is kind of ironic since I was one of the two people who put AGCEEP together in the first place, but then again it's kind of in character since I was the one who enabled the AGC to get off the ground marking the initial break with the EEP.

Basically speaking, MyMap was how the MyMap guys wanted it. The same way WATK is how Kasperus wanted it. The AGCEEP guys, a lot of them REALLY didn't want it the way me OR Kasperus did it. They wanted it the way THEY wanted it.

The thing is, I had been modding here long enough to know that, doing things the correct, community driven, peer reviewed way takes 5x as long as it does just doing it the way you think it should be done. Making a new map is a HUGE undertaking, and I wanted to finish sometime that year. So I just up and did it.

AGCEEP will be roughly were MyMap was in 2005 in about a year and a half or so, by my math. It's harder to do, the way they are doing it, so there's no sense criticizing them.

By the way, I inherited my title around the time this thread started, due to the "horrible things I was doing to the map, the community, and their national pride".

welp mymap is totally sweet thanks for putting it together bro ^_^

Attention this is a Family oriented board, Foul language is not acceptable.

Govern yourselves accordingly.

I have to agree with the above angry poster. Its just silly how we have waited 3 years since the "HC decided it was too proud to use mymap".

I just to joke and come post a "bi yearly" inquiery as to the state of the new map. Now its just sad and stoped being funny a year ago.

The Mymap people created a map and a very fun game that we all enjoyed for a good long time.

The "HC map" people have given us nothing but frustration and wasted seconds checking for updates over the YEARS.

I can totally understand the angry of some of the fans, I know I am pretty disgusted by the lack of progress, THREE YEARS after a couple players produced the mymap AGCEEP mod that we all enjoyed in its time.

Making a new map is a monumental task, you guys don't even realize how big, it's BIG. Hundreds of hours big.

Not everyone is as crazy as Kasperus or me.

Nicophorus said:
I just to joke and come post a "bi yearly" inquiery as to the state of the new map. Now its just sad and stoped being funny a year ago.
This is not like there was no progress on other parts of AGCEEP.

Mad King James said:
Making a new map is a monumental task, you guys don't even realize how big, it's BIG. Hundreds of hours big.

Not everyone is as crazy as Kasperus or me.

If you and Kasperus could do it three YEARS ago.. then a whole "high council" should of at least had a version out oh say....... TWO YEARS LATER , at the latest.

So basically, when the "high council" voted to not use your map, they basically stabbed all the fans in the back. Because by that choice they decided a new map for AGCEEP will never be made (three years = never.. MMORPGS are made in LESS then three years for gods sake).

People/fans have died and are in their graves (litterally, i'm sure) in the time the "high council" have wasted since rejecting the mymap.

Waiting over three years to develop something akin to what 2 people made already years ago... is a crime.

Nicophorus said:
Waiting over three years to develop something akin to what 2 people made already years ago... is a crime.

Can we tone down the hyperbole?

Also you realize that the "whole high council" hasn't been drawing the map, no?

All that said, I'm sure your most recent comments will work wonders at accelerating the process. :)

Nicophorus said:
I have to agree with the above angry poster. Its just silly how we have waited 3 years since the "HC decided it was too proud to use mymap".

The Mymap people created a map and a very fun game that we all enjoyed for a good long time.

The "HC map" people have given us nothing but frustration and wasted seconds checking for updates over the YEARS.

I can totally understand the angry of some of the fans, I know I am pretty disgusted by the lack of progress, THREE YEARS after a couple players produced the mymap AGCEEP mod that we all enjoyed in its time.

These modders are doing all this work in their spare time, for no profit. You frankly aren't entitled to jack shit.

Hive said:
These modders are doing all this work in their spare time, for no profit. You frankly aren't entitled to jack shit.
I have long offered to write a check. :p

Mad King James said:

Wait, is the AGCEEP map actually a consensus-driven effort? From my understanding it's being undertaken privately and under Garbon's own hands alone. In fact, I thought the reason it was being done that way was to speed everything up. Some clarification on that would be very welcome, because I think a lot of the frustration is not only because it hasn't been released yet, but that it feels like there's absolutely nothing we can do, or that there's nothing the HC will let us do. Thanks for the rough estimate for when we should be expecting a release though, that's relatively easing for me. :)

And on that note!

Garbon said:
All that said, I'm sure your most recent comments will work wonders at accelerating the process.
Sarcasm aside, is there anything we can do to help accelerate the process? :)

well,
1. Garbon is not paid for what he's doing... or any other modder for that matter
2. there're now 3 different maps with AGCEEP on them, albeit different versions, so you can't really complain. Not to mention A4K or WatKABAoI for greater variety.
3. someone could update MyMap version of AGCEEP to recent release with no problem, but it would take some time... I don't see any volunteers, so why are you whinning about new map not released yet?
4. if you're tired of waiting then do something yourself :rolleyes: like new map :D
5. if the fanbase extincted before new map arrival who would care? :p
6. I was tired of waiting long time ago and I actually did something about it (like porting AGCEEP onto Watk map all by myself). Now I have the comfort of not caring if the map is ever released. :)