Note: The 'Will Not Fight Against Religious Brethren' modifier goes both ways.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I dread the day this modifier lets some big Catholic use Cleansing of Heresy on my Orthodox/Protestant country to break all my alliances.
I can already see it: Austria getting to kill me for free because France and Poland won't defend me...

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I dread the day this modifier lets some big Catholic use Cleansing of Heresy on my Orthodox/Protestant country to break all my alliances.
I can already see it: Austria getting to kill me for free because France and Poland won't defend me...
You can always suck up to ottos in this case... :p

People report that the modifier only apply to war declaration. After that it goes away, meaning that most nations will agree to join the war once it starts.
This is different. I'm talking about scenario where as knights, I declare on a Sunni nation guaranteed or allied to Christian. I see a -1000 on DoW, but they still join after.

This is bugged. If the -1000 were true, we'd see the alliance broken (declined CTA). Instead, we observe no broken alliance and joining on defensive CTA.

No 3rd party wars or other shenanigans, just typical DoW scenario.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Didn't even know this had changed.

Sounds like a nice addition though (at least if they fix the bug so it works correctly). Religious is one of my favourite idea groups already, being able to avoid dealing witch certain horror alliances (eg. you're Poland and want to kill the Ottos but they allied France and there's no way you could take them both on at the same time) sounds great!

Reactions:
This is different. I'm talking about scenario where as knights, I declare on a Sunni nation guaranteed or allied to Christian. I see a -1000 on DoW, but they still join after.

This is bugged. If the -1000 were true, we'd see the alliance broken (declined CTA). Instead, we observe no broken alliance and joining on defensive CTA.

No 3rd party wars or other shenanigans, just typical DoW scenario.
I imagine it is working similar to when declaring a war against someone when already at war with their ally, ie the ally doesn't get any CTA directly on the war declaration, and the alliance therefore doesn't break. Once that blockage is resolved (ie the other war is over) a separate CTA can be sent.

I don't know what the intended functionality is here, but the way it is working now surely cannot be it. Displaying -1000 double misleads the player. Firstly to thinking the alliance will break, second to thinking the target's ally will not join the war when in fact they just join one day later in most cases.

Reactions:
I'm pretty sure that intention was NOT to break alliances of defender, and this -1000 is displayed by mistake.
That would be my guess as well (on average, UI bugs are more common than mechanical, though both happen). Though it would make the assertion that religious was nerfed accurate, since it is strictly worse than earlier patches that way.

973944.jpg

• 4Haha
Reactions: