• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FreeSoc

Kayser-i-Fun
58 Badges
Oct 2, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
Here's a potential set of Northumbrian NIs; hopefully it's not too obscure a tag to warrant them. :p

Traditions
+1% Attrition for Enemies
10% Cavalry Combat Ability

Ideas
Secure Percy Rule: +1 Yearly Legitimacy
This land has been ruled by the Percy family for centuries, and they have become synonymous with it. Our ruling family shall be a backbone of this independent kingdom.
The Memory of Northumbrian Hegemony: -15% Core-Creation Cost
Before the creation of England, Northumbria was an independent kingdom which, in the 7th century, achieved overlordship of England's north. It is up to us to do justice to our ancestors and restore their hegemony.
Cradle of British Christianity: +2% Missionary Strength, +2 Tolerance of the True Faith
Although not the first place in Britain to be converted to Christianity, the kingdom of Northumbria was where it most firmly took root. Saints made their homes here, and the monastery at Lindisfarne was a major early Christian centre.
A Land of Castles: +30% Fort Defence
Northumberland has the greatest concentration of castles anywhere in the British Isles. Refortified and updated, they will protect us from our enemies.
Lindisfarne Gospels: +1 Yearly Prestige
As well as being a religious centre, the monastery at Lindisfarne was renowned for its production of high-quality manuscripts like the Lindisfarne Gospels. Let this legacy inspire us to further cultural achievements in the future!
Taking Coals to Newcastle: +10% Goods Produced Nationally
As the industrial era dawns, it has become clear that Northumberland is home to large coal deposits. More efficient mining practices and the development of the great port at Newcastle will allow us to exploit this to the full.
The Literary and Philosophical Society: -10% Idea Cost
As well as our strong religious roots, the region is also starting to see a rise in innovation. The Literary and Philosophical Society is a centre of this, and we hope that it will provide us with many innovations in the future.

Ambition
+25% Naval Forcelimit

----------------------------------

I think that a strong religious NI is justified because, firstly, Northumbria was, AFAIK, a significant "early adopter" of Catholicism, as well as a monastic centre and home of various religious figures; three of the most famous Northumbrians are the Venerable Bede and SS. Oswald and Cuthbert, after all. Secondly, it was AFAIK a bastion of Catholicism during the Reformation, which found particular expression in the Rising of the North, hence the true faith tolerance.

I also feel like a strong Fort Defence NI is justified because, even though it is a bonus nearly comparable to France's, Northumbria as a kingdom contained most of Hadrian's Wall, while Northumberland as a county is home to more castles than anywhere else in England.

Finally, would it be possible to have an event of some sort so that Northumberland automatically gains a ruler from the Percy dynasty upon being released/becoming independent, if it does so before 1670? I'm normally not really in favour of railroading dynasties through event, but the Percy family was the ruling family of the Earldom in 1444, had been for a century and remained so for centuries afterwards too. It would also make the first NI make more sense, which it wouldn't if the first ruler of the Northumbrian tag is Henry fitzRandom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think a *bump* may be warranted...

I like this set for Northumberland although it is a bit strong. I don't know very much about Northumberland but it seems that your ideas are historically justified.

I like this set for Northumberland although it is a bit strong. I don't know very much about Northumberland but it seems that your ideas are historically justified.

It is pretty strong, I'd agree, but I justified it to myself by not including morale, discipline, land forcelimits, land maintenance or leader improvements to offset that somewhat.

(Also, the fact that Northumberland would be quite a grim starting position unless you manage to get at least Denmark/Sweden/Hansa and Castile on-side to overcome the Royal Navy means that you won't exactly see AI Northumberland blob all over the place.)

(Also also, I'm all ears for a better/more fitting Ambition; I chose Naval Forcelimit because a) Northumberland has a lot of coast and, if we include all of Northumbria, some major ports and b) because it seemed not-too-OP as well as relevant.)

I like the ideas, with the possible exception of the Newcastle one, due to my family being from Sunderland (Newcastle's rival, for all who don't know.)

As a Geordie born and bred, I can only stand up for my native city :p

If I will create a mod replacing all generic ideas with better ones, there will be a chance of some of them appearing in a patch? :p

If you make idea sets and post them here there's certainly a possibility they'll be added (as others have been in the past). We don't usually go through the various mods on the forums looking for new sets though and while the long term goal is to have NIs for everyone it's better to add a few good sets at a time than to have overly big groups IMO (but sometimes groups make sense too of course).
If a set posted isn't added however it's not necessarily because it's considered "bad", it might just as well be that there are other plans already :)

So to sum it up, suggest away if you want to :)

If you make idea sets and post them here there's certainly a possibility they'll be added (as others have been in the past). We don't usually go through the various mods on the forums looking for new sets though and while the long term goal is to have NIs for everyone it's better to add a few good sets at a time than to have overly big groups IMO (but sometimes groups make sense too of course).
If a set posted isn't added however it's not necessarily because it's considered "bad", it might just as well be that there are other plans already :)

So to sum it up, suggest away if you want to :)
Mazovian ideas next patch: confirmed.

I'll definitely post them here.

no problem