• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jeankazuhiza

Captain
83 Badges
Sep 28, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
Well, since we're all in the mood of waiting for CK3. I want to play a final CK2 game before i make the jump.

The idea is to play a Norse and settle in other region. (and possibly convert to another religion)

Where i should settle?

Settle in North Africa, convert to Shia.

Become a permanently-unreformed viking MR in the Indian Ocean.

• Start as tribal.
  • Conquer your way to Socotra, making sure that you never rise above duke-tier.
  • Pillage Socotra to the ground (which converts it to Norse Germanic). (*)
  • Build a tribal holding.
  • Give every other title to non-dynasts (so that you can't go back).
  • Raid a lot, to gain the necessary gold and prestige to max out your tribal holding.
  • Raid some more, so that you can afford to buy a load more upgrades after you convert to MR.
  • Become a MR:
    • Save.
    • Pause.
    • Convert to Sunni or Miaphysite or something (eg. via concubine).
    • Take the decision to become a MR.
    • Convert back to Germanic (eg. via capital religion).
    • Unpause.
  • If any of the auto-generated patrician families are not Germanic, murder every male member of their familiy. Their replacements should be Germanic.

(*) Pillaging counties to the ground as tribal requires some care, because you can't click "pillage" if there's only one holding in the county. (And that initial "pillage" click can destroy a holding, so it's very easy to get into the situation where a county contains nothing but a temple, at which point you are no longer able to get the free culture/religious conversion.)
  • Ensure that you personally own all of the holdings in the county.
  • Ensure that the county contains at least 2 holdings, one of which must contain at least 3 buildings.
    • Eg. Fortifications 3, or Castle walls + fortifications 2, etc.
    • If the county doesn't fulfil these requirements then you will need to build the holdings/buildings so that you can later pillage them.
  • Pause.
  • Click "pillage" on every holding apart from the 2 mentioned above.
  • Click "pillage" on the holding with at least 3 buildings.
  • Click "pillage" on the final holding.
  • Unpause.
  • Wait for the pillaging process to complete.
  • Enjoy the instant culture conversion!

Last edited:
You could always invade France/Brittany, culture convert to Norman as a result of a Norse culture owning Frankish, Occitan, or Breton land (you get to keep cheap ships as a culture bonus!), convert to Catholic, then be the leading parrticipant in a Crusade on Egypt/Jerusalem and eventually take the decision to form Outremer.

You even get a bloodline as a result!

EDIT: If you don't convert to Catholic til after 900 AD and conquer Provence, Toulouse, or Paris, you can spawn the Crusades early, then convert, and lead the Crusade yourself!

I mean, the obvious if you've never done them are Indo Norse or Norse East.
I still need to complete my personal non-achievement "Ivar the Bönless" run: Starting as Ivar the Boneless, reform the Bön religion. Indo-Norse and Norse East fit quite well with that.

You could always invade France/Brittany, culture convert to Norman as a result of a Norse culture owning Frankish, Occitan, or Breton land (you get to keep cheap ships as a culture bonus!), convert to Catholic, then be the leading parrticipant in a Crusade on Egypt/Jerusalem and eventually take the decision to form Outremer.

You even get a bloodline as a result!

EDIT: If you don't convert to Catholic til after 900 AD and conquer Provence, Toulouse, or Paris, you can spawn the Crusades early, then convert, and lead the Crusade yourself!
I like this

Hi! I just started to play ck2 : )
Trying out Norse and reading some tips - is below a rational summary of much of the strategical adivice found on different posts?

Norse strategy

1st gen - breed many children to get your dynasty growing, perhaps unite bloodlines, raid rich counties, build your capital, max retinues, take one duchy + a few counties to split for other heirs in elective gavelkind

2nd gen - do the same + get good trait kids as your you heirs, build your own duchy

3rd or 4th gen - when you have a good and young ruler - reform norse faith, change inheritance law, conquer much of Scandianvia, create one kingdom, then Scandinavian empire - before creating other kingdoms

- Wolf Warriors society seems great for a norse warrior ruler - eventually he can’t die on battle, will get artifacts from sieges, and will win every duel

Yes- that's basically a decent run down.

As Norse you can be much more ambitious on 1st or 2nd generation.

Wolf Warriors is great.

Ideally what you want is a young ruler- preferably taking over at age 12 right after having inducted your son into Wolf Warriors so you are starting at 12 and in the society.

Then you can grind to Empire Scandinavia + 5K prestige, forge a bloodline, finish the Wolf warrior bloodline, and reform the faith all in a single character.

I'm going for Norse East currently myself from the count of Meath start in 837-- you start in Western Europe, and as a single county count vassal of Ivan, but as a member of House Yngling- you can declare Harold Fairhair your heir and get to Norway pretty quickly!

I’ve just finished a seven centuries run there for the achievement. Started as a Finish count and was 1% warscore away from uniting the Indian subcontinent under Norse Germanic rule before the game ended and I don’t think that I’ll ever get over it....

Anyway, time to restart as Ivar.

I'm going for Norse East currently myself from the count of Meath start in 837-- you start in Western Europe, and as a single county count vassal of Ivan, but as a member of House Yngling- you can declare Harold Fairhair your heir and get to Norway pretty quickly!
Olaf the White is a great start, and yeah, the way many Vikings are related to each other makes for some interesting inheritances.

My best norse game was when i started as Sigurd Ring and conquered land until i got to conquer Lanka, i got a lot of achievements on that run

I have done this a few times. I like remaining norse for the raiding bonuses as you can keep raiding even if you convert to christianity. Because of that I don't like going to any areas where being norse will cause a culture change such as brittany.

Taking the kingdom or even just the island of sicily is fun. Sicily itself is a great demesne as Its a great holding with 6 counties in one dutchy and all of them are coastal. Plus you really make italy and byz angry so it can be fun (and difficult) as they constantly will be attacking you.

Tunis, Egypt, Antioch, Morocco / tangiers are other un areas to settle.

At one point I wanted to capture Alexandria (as a converted christian viking) and turn it into a crusader state but the Crusade kept ending too quickly. Was very frustrating but still on my list of things to do.

I might even try it in my current game in a hundred years or so. Right now I have The Scandinavian Empire (earliest start date and playing as my second ruler). I think I'll take rome for a bit to trigger crusades. Then convert to Christianity and give back to pope. Then I will try to take land in a crusade and eventually try to lose my Scandinavian lands or most of them at least have a Scandinavian Empire located in egypt only. That might be fun. That's usually how I play come up with some objective and fail at trying to do it.

Last edited:
Currently doing a game as the Ulfings from Charlemagne start date. Migrated into Cornwall where I set up a custom Kingdom and adopted Norman culture after it spawned. Then I forged a bloodline and picked up a warrior lodge bloodline and the raider one, before preparing an invasion of Sicily against the Byzantines. Set myself up in Palermo and converted to Catholic. With that I could adopt Feudalism. Now an added benefit of Palermo is that it has 3 legalism in tech which means after 10 years I could adopt Primo secession law. I have been playing with the Normans Can Raid mod, but in hindsight I really didn't need it considering the wealth of Sicily. I then intend to go crusading setting up my relatives as in kingdoms and supporting them. My final ultimate goal is to become the Latin Empire and rule dejure Byzantium with maximum power via viceroys and no council power.