• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The lack of a stable "crown demesne" appears to have truly scuppered you.

It has been a grand tale. I am interested to see what happens in the patch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My personal demesne changes more or less entirely each reign, so that quickly became untenable...:( At best I keep 1 or 2 counties, more often I lose it all and gain whatever my heir has. Besides, I don’t have the money. The constant warring means I am almost always in the negative. It’s a bad spiral. I started building monetary buildings early on, but I just lost all the gain each time a ruler died.

That is the main issue, i think. You need core lands that are much better developed and built up to be successful. More levies, more gold, more everything.

Reactions:
The lack of a stable "crown demesne" appears to have truly scuppered you.

It has been a grand tale. I am interested to see what happens in the patch.
That is the main issue, i think. You need core lands that are much better developed and built up to be successful. More levies, more gold, more everything.
I forced myself to play more today. By getting some good allies and letting them win my wars for me, I got a lot of gold and built up a big men at arms reserve. My economy is going slightly in the negative now, but it's something. However, and this really bugs me: I''ve got primogeniture law, and instituted it, but all my kingdoms and my empire still adheres to Scandinavian Elective? Anyone knows how I can fix it?

EDIT: No matter, I found a button called "remove law"! :D

Reactions:
You know what? Bugs and difficulities be damned, I will try to finish this. At least as long as I come before 1.1 may or may not ruin the save. The help I got from allies and the promises of primo made me more optimistic about the story again. Sorry to be so fickle. :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Scandinavia will stand strong against all comers, be they Germans or French or the very Clausewitz Engine itself.

Reactions:
Scandinavia will stand strong against all comers, be they Germans or French or the very Clausewitz Engine itself.
Quite! I actually played something like 60 years today in about 2ish hours! And most of it was actually uberfun. I think I need to complain more on the forums. :)

Reactions:
Chapter XV - Emperor Eirik I (1266-1271) (First reign)
Emperor Eirik I (1266-1271)

(First reign)

0fbn2hN.png

The first reign of Emperor Eirik I was short and violent.

Family

Emperor Eirik I was married to a Norwegian noblewoman named Freja. Together they got two children, none of which would inherit the throne.

Eirik

Svanhild

His reign

Emperor Eirik I’s short reigned started badly. Having inherited a war for the very Emperorship that was at the time at a stalemate, going slowly in his favor, he would soon see a complete reversal. By 1268 AD, the war was slowly getting lost.

In 1268 AD two new wars were added to the poor Emperor’s list, as the duke of Berry declared de dure war for the counties in the duchu of Northern Isles that Scandinavia controlled, and then right after the duke of Augsburg declared a holy war for the duchy of Nitra. They would both be lost within two years.

And then, on January 19th, 1271 AD, the war for Scandinavia was over. The original claimant lay dead on the battlefield, but his son Helge of Africa pressed on and finally forced Eirik I to the negotiation table. It would a total surrender of the title of Emperor, but the new Emperor failed to claim the various kingdoms of his foe, thus making Eirik his most formidable vassal by far. This would bite him in the behind soon.

4d1FFnB.png

Aftermath

The first reign of Emperor Eirik I would meet an abrupt end. He was not finished fighting though, plotting his return.

• 1Love
Reactions:
The map at this point is beyond help. Time to say goodbye and put it down I think.

So, Scandinavia got one civil war done without resolving any of the issues that led to it. Wonderfuly chaotic madness ensues.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If you can get a good martial emperor, I think it’s time to “conquer thy neighbors,“ and form some allied empires ruled by members of your dynasty. Time for Viking Germany, Viking Kiev, Viking Britain. Then watch your family’s prestige shoot through the roof. Just don’t try to do them all at once.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The map at this point is beyond help. Time to say goodbye and put it down I think.

So, Scandinavia got one civil war done without resolving any of the issues that led to it. Wonderfuly chaotic madness ensues.
Ummmm, yeah. The bordergore is massive. But I feel it's better than it was?
If you can get a good martial emperor, I think it’s time to “conquer thy neighbors,“ and form some allied empires ruled by members of your dynasty. Time for Viking Germany, Viking Kiev, Viking Britain. Then watch your family’s prestige shoot through the roof. Just don’t try to do them all at once.
Right now I have more than enough keeping my country from falling apart, and have a somewhat sound economy. Later on I'm even going slightly negative each month at peace, which is a struggle, but needed as I require good troops in case of further attacks.

Reactions:
Helge of Africa, dethroning Eirik. At least, the Norwegian influence is... admirable.
Hope vassaldom treats Eirik well.

Reactions:
Right now I have more than enough keeping my country from falling apart, and have a somewhat sound economy. Later on I'm even going slightly negative each month at peace, which is a struggle, but needed as I require good troops in case of further attacks.

The best defense is a good offense. :D

Reactions:
Helge of Africa, dethroning Eirik. At least, the Norwegian influence is... admirable.
Hope vassaldom treats Eirik well.
The Ynglings are getting around. I'm getting warnings about inbreeding when suggesting marriages to the byzantines and german kingdoms by this point.

By the way, I always play as the top liege in this game, so I changed to Helge when he won. For as long as that will last. :p
The best defense is a good offense. :D
Not when your defense is the size and quality of a trampled ant colony. ;)

Ouch - a particularly nasty civil war, laying to seeds for the next one

Ouch - a particularly nasty civil war, laying to seeds for the next one
The next ruler is actually quite interesting in his own right, even though he reigned for a short amount of time. :)

Chapter XVI - Emperor Helge III (1271-1272)
Emperor Helge III (1271-1272)

56axHdJ.png

The reign of Emperor Helge III would prove to be a mere footnote in the history of Norgesveldet.

Family

Emperor Helge III was married to a woman named Ana, of which little is known. Together they sired four children up to when his reign ended:

Aurengarde

Hélie

Benoît

Aldebert

His reign

Emperor Helge III’s reign was short, less than a complete year. His ascension came as a result of his father’s ambition, and it is much that points to his continuation of the war for the throne to be out of loyalty to his father’s memory rather than his own ambition.

To his many problems as a ruler, came three points. One, his predecessor owned four kingdoms in his own right and outright controlled well over half the Empire directly or indirectly. Two, Helge III was of French culture. Three, Helge III was a Muwalladi Muslim.

As such, when the previous Emperor Eirik I sent emissionaries claiming his right for the throne, or renewed civil war, and it was clear almost every powerful vassal in the Empire supported him, Helge III backed down. He would continue to reign as king of Africa.

pq4bknx.png

Aftermath

Emperor Helge III was a mere footnote in the history of Norgesveldet. His lasting legacy is being a peculiar character; a French Muslim in an otherwise Norse-Norwegian Christian heritage. In modern-day Norway, where diversity has seen Muslim immigration over the last decades, he is a cherished symbol among the multiculturalists and minorities.

• 1Like
Reactions:
At least out before you got crusaded!
Though a muslim ruler would have made things even more chaotic :D

To his many problems as a ruler, came three points. One, his predecessor owned four kingdoms in his own right and outright controlled well over half the Empire directly or indirectly. Two, Helge III was of French culture. Three, Helge III was a Muwalladi Muslim.

Ha, ha, ha! These twists are one of the most memorable things with CK. Brilliantly described, made me laugh!

Hope you manage to sort out the bugs/issues. But thanks for a fun read.

"Alt for Norge" :cool:

The sort of madness one can expect from such a huge far-flung empire at this point. Curious how easy it is to have a realm with so many different religions and cultures. Makes conversions a bit harder, both in game and for euiv

As you say an interesting footnote.