• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jacobweller

Second Lieutenant
67 Badges
Jul 12, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
kingdomofnetherlands.gif

Noobs in Orange - A Noobish Netherlands AAR

Hello! Welcome to my first AAR, as the Netherlands. I do not actually own Victoria 2, so my good friend, @kaydesmith will be playing the game, sending me screenshots, so I can write the AAR.
This thread will probably go a bit inactive will low amounts of updates when school picks up. but until then, they should be at least 1 a week.

GOALS:
Achieve Great Power status - COMPLETE!
Annex Belgium - COMPLETE!
Annex Luxembourg - COMPLETE!
Gain colonies in the Scramble for Africa - ONGOING
Be the leading power in South East Asia - ONGOING
I will probably add more as we go along in time.

Last edited:
Rightio people, I am the gameplayer here. Please try your best to bear with me as I attempt to stumble my way through Victoria 2, with all DLC and the Pop Demand Mod. The first update should be up soon if Jacob wants to write it.

CHAPTER 1​
plJKjuzTj

Glorious Leader Willem gazed at the map of his clay. Orange would suit Europe. It is a very flattering colour. His Foreign Advisor was gabbling on about it, but Willem could only hear so much. "To our south we have our weak neighbours in Belgium, and our underlings in Luxembourg. Nearby powers include Prussia, France, and Great Britain, so we need to be very careful about whom we annoy."
pnEyYOANj

"Much more impressive is our main colony in Indonesia. The area is full of uncivilised nations, who are ripe for imperialistic gains. Apart from the Spanish Phillipines, Britain in Australia, and Portugal's occasional province, we are the sole nation in the region. We stand a good chance at taking the majority of the region." Willem liked the idea of that. Spreading Orange Imperialism across the world. Or maybe it is Tangerine. Tangerine Imperialism? Willem could not decide. He dismissed his Foreign Advisor for the moment, only to have him replaced by his Science Advisor.
plXGQqAmj

"Sir, this is our tech so far."
"Where are the nukes?"
"The what?"
"The NUKES! The big bombs that make a mushroom cloud! The big kaboom!"
"Willem, did you take your medication today?"
"Of course I did! I want NUKES!"
"Will you settle for muzzle-loaded rifles?'
"FINE! NOW GET OUT OF HERE!"
pnyk5LZzj

Willem, in his infinite wisdom, orchestrated a change in government to suit his nukey, war-filled plans. Whatever they are. Maybe the voices in his head will tell us something. But probably not.
pnWG6SWej

Willem also decided to offer the United Kingdom protection in the form of an Alliance. At least, that is how he thinks it works.
plL2GiIGj

A strong economy is essential for any budding warmonger, with the Netherlands being no exception. Because more money means more guns, and more guns means more orange/tangerine. Or something like that.
pmZ6r0kMj

Apparently the Dutch Royal Family loves Denmark.
pltSNrvKj

The Dutch Republic declares war on Siak, a primitive nation on the island of Sumatra.
poGnJHt0j

A decisive battle wipes out the entire enemy army of 6000, with only 61 casualties for the Netherlands.
pnUaAaBQj

Siak eventually accepts their orangey fate.
plKiIrTcj

With his bloodlust not satisfied by the sacrifice of a small Indonesian nation, Glorious Leader declares war on the even smaller, more irrelevant nation of Bali. Which is not full of Australian tourists. Yet.
pnW3l2CSj

The Prussian government offered an alliance in the spring of 1837. Which was naturally accepted.
plu3Uk3Oj

On the same day that the government accepted the alliance with Prussia, they issued an official declaration of war against Belgium, citing "Restoration of Order" as the Casus Belli.
poI21G4Ej

After the British side with the Belgians, the Prussians, eager to impress their new ally, join the Netherlands. This will be a close fight.
pms38zxSj

After a rather short siege, the Dutch control Brussels, which opens the front up even further. As you can see, the Belgians occupy Middelburg, and the Prussians occupy Spa.
pn8gyTe8j

Just as things were going so well, while the army was on the other side of the planet, rebels rise up in Java. Apparently they are unhappy with being a forgotten oppressed minority. Not sure why.
plp3Dmu0j

As if one was not bad enough. Now there are Liberals running rampant around the East Indies, as well as the motherland. Rebels, rebels everywhere. (Fun Fact: Kayde considered restarting here)
poTFh5z2j

The main rebel doomstack in all it's glory, currently rampaging it's way across the mother country.
pmu1f4TSj

In light of all this, the government, and Willem, believe now is the time to give the unwashed masses some rights. But it is too little, much too late.
pmadkrnuj

First the Javanese enforce their demands, with the Dutch losing a large chunk of the East Indies.
plu4qecpj

A bit of good news, with one war finished. Thats nice, I guess.
pmZD2HRYj

With Belgium having no say in their annexation, the British agree to the peace treaty. Now, to focus on the rebel hordes. Filthy liberals.
pnNsZ0Opj

Oops. What I meant to say was, I for one welcome our new liberal overlords. The Liberals let Willem live on, but with next to no power. He will now be known as "Slightly Less Glorious Leader".
pod9R3olj

The Spanish offer an alliance in 1838. The new government accept.
poWyY5EOj

The revolution had inherited quite the deficit, after 3 wars, and 2 revolutions. They set about trying to remedy the situation, with reasonable success. (see below)
poxAZKdGj

pmUtRWVyj

In 1840, the government host the Grand Exhibition, to show that the Netherlands can into relevance.
pl68mHnkj

The same year, they host a National Conference for the budding scientists of the Dutch Republic.

END
That is the first chapter! Any advice is appreciated!

Reactions:
That was.... really nice actually. Really well written. And yes, those damned rebellions almost made me consider restarting, but what's an AAR without it's failures? I'll get right back into noobing ASAP.

Edit: I am lightly chuckling to myself as I read this. Jacob I love you.

reconquer South Africa (Subbed)

cpm4001 - thanks mate
guillec87- Zuid-Afrika may be a hard target, but we will try!
ImperatorGuigui- We'll see what happens. I have no real plans for who I'm putting in power, but anarcho liberals and commies would kill our Glorious King!

Nice work with the Dutch so far. One of my favorite nations to play in EUIV, Vic 2, even HoI. Can't wait to see you go forward from here.

Cheers!

CHAPTER 2
plpOvzdaj

The Liberal government order an election, with the Conservatives taking power. Makes sense.
pmVogX74j

After a rather lengthy period of peace, Tangerine Imperialism is re-engaged, this time in Siam. Stupid elephants.
Around this time, Willem I believes that he has made the Netherlands great again, and as such pops his clogs. His son, Willem II, will be known as Slightly Less Great Leader Jr.
poJW0P8zj

The great scientists of Orangeland work out how to trick people into willingly paying more tax.
pouRI5lYj

They also decide to research Medicine for the extra supply limit. Helpful in the jungles of South East Asia.
poSuzAXxj

The Dutch Army successfully siege Bangkok, the capital of Siam. A great triumph in the eyes of Slightly Less Glorious Leader.
po9OCuOUj

The Dutch Army beat the inferior Siamese Army. I wonder if they used cats, or twins.
plSNxNYej

In the hopes of speeding up the war, the government ask the Spanish to join. They, of course, accept.
pny2P9ZKj

The Dutch Fleet, under the lead of Admiral de Houtman, do battle with the boats of Siam.
poVuqEZMj

Shown here is the victory against Siam, and the decision by the regime to open penal colonies.
plzlJkDNj

Siam is now a protectorate of the Tangerine Empire, which should be lead by Donald Trump.
pnSHRa0Hj

Not happy with just owning South East Asia, the government declare war on Oyo, beginning what many will come to call the 'Scramble for Africa'
pmSJNlSnj

An Expeditionary Force of over 20,000 men do battle with the Oyoan army in Ife.
pntTHMkIj

Naturally, we win.
pnuRpLDCj

After the capital is occupied, the army moves to take the port.
pnblsnSIj

Slightly Less Glorious Leader would be proud. But not too proud. They are not as good as nukes.
pocCt685j

After doing what they could in Oyo, the army moves south to beat the living daylights out of more Africans in need of tangerineness.
pmKCIDL1j

With medicine finished, scientists receive a message from above stating they should build a train. Scientists are baffled as they try to explain this.
plvcPGEej

One of Oyo's allies are annexed. Good.
pnFSVqYNj

And another one bites the dust.
pnoh0XhZj

Apparently bafflement is good, as scientists discover Anesthesia, and Pharmaceuticals.
pnsYKQZ1j

Finally, Oyo embraces the beautiful colour of Tangerine.
pm3TdYpxj

With the election over, the conservatives remain in power. And this ends the Second Chapter! Please, give me advice! I have no clue what I am doing.

keep those Colinialist war up!

CHAPTER 3​
plwFW4mFj

We start the chapter with a gained CB against Benin, to force them to accept our protection.
plWBoyHHj

We immediately press this, by declaring war. Really, they deserved it. They were guilty of the heinous crime of not being orange.
poAEt0w4j

We are officially a Great Power, and we have trains, which is good. I like trains.
pnNnEhEbj

The government mandate that scientists will find Military Plans, or else. Very scary indeed.
plzVOVJgj

The Army with a Nation offer us an alliance. We accept, in order to extend our orangy protection over them.
pngZCHy7j

Calabar accept their annexation. Good for them.
pmpPY4dYj

A crisis occurs over the return of Thessalia to Greece. It is of no importance to us. Just like us, the rest of the lesser great powers decide that Greece and Turkey aren't worth their hard earned pounds.
pnBiqLb5j

Those yellow giants in Spain ask us for protection.
plWVhPO1j

We gain influence over those backward people in Ethiopia. Yay, I guess.
pnkSgPpFj

We discover Military Plans, to help us in our future wars. Forwards, armies of Orange!
pmhhJ7trj

They now start research on Late Classical Theory.
plp4R0JCj

We annex Dahomey and Benin. Great.
pnw7vh7Uj

Glorious Leader Jr. goes on a whistle stop tour of the country, to raise morale among the commoners
plTon3Brj

After the tour, Willem Jr. declares war on Sokoto.
plEmi45Qj

Spain also declares war on Sokoto. They are so dead.
plUepuGMj

Those stinky baguettes do what they do best. -Surrender- Fall to revolution. Scrubs.
plnMOBXZj

We beat the Sokotan? Sokotoan? Either way, we won a massive battle.
plqLtOh1j

With the discovery of Late Classical Theory, they research Army Professionalism. After all, you cannot spread Tangerines without a civilised army.
poQs3ZyZj

Apparently the filthy commoners want to vote. Can't see why.
pneFvsnYj

The government decide to make the voting system proportional. Good for them.
pnaxMBOcj

Somehow, the Liberals win the election. Damn it.
plVuSewBj

Liberal supporters rejoice over it.
pnwFV6kYj

Apparently, the First Minister is Albert Einstein.
pnFe7i3jj

Finally, we end with an update on the war progress. We are winning, of course.

I like trains too! and it seems Einstein foud his way through a wormhole

Nice strategic alliance with Spain, and getting a far leg up for the Scramble for Africa. Ah, you're showing why the Dutch are just so fun to play with. :)

CHAPTER 3​
We start this chapter with some good news and some bad news.
pmaRNcbIj

The war against Sokoto was won, and WIllem II dies of shock. He will be remembered as that guy who won a war against some Africans.
pnG8aveXj

We accept the offer, and our name looks bigger, which, of course, is the aim of this game.
pnh9XSC8j

The parliament officially outlaw Slavery. Yay, I guess.
pmMzo2vij

Scientists now devote their existence to researching 'Private Bank Money Bill Printing', which Willem III seemed to think the state needed.
pou8WwkOj

Upon realising how boring peace is, Willem invaded Sulawesi, deciding they would look great on a Dutch tourism campaign.
pokYMPnEj

The Sulawesan? Sulawesian? army was defeated quite soundly in Bone.
pn7Fs0Imj

A crisis emerges over Polish independence from Russia. Not that we care. As long as they don't make it to space.
plSL02ZPj

Austria and the Two Sicilies support Poland, while France supports Russia.
ponKj0gUj

Unable to settle it peacefully, the two sides go to war.
pmzTLa8hj

Spain comes to the rescue in Sulawesi, where our army is outnumbered.
poMvoHYxj

Kalimantan surrenders, and we gain a province.
pmoGJ5T5j

Sulu surrenders, and we gain another province. So much surrendering, they are almost French.
posGEq5Ej

Someone else surrenders (@kaydesmith cannot remember who. Thanks, Kayde.)
plMcVMqtj

The progress of the crisis war. The Eastern Front is a patchwork of Austrian occupation, and Russian occupation. Meanwhile, France takes the opportunity to wreck the Austrian Homeland. Great job France.
pmRuSMQxj

Research begins on Ideological Thought.
pnPLXFS2j

Sulawesi is successfully annexed!
poTM8UBVj

Not content with Nigeria, Willem decides to expand further into the Congo.
pmGN3fp3j

A small army is stomped out with casualties of almost 9:1, favouring us, of course.
plDVcUQOj

The Conservative Party returns triumphantly back to power.
pndhr21Qj

Our First Minister is almost as inbred as Charles II von Habsburg. Just look at those stats.
poPHhg5lj

Loango is annexed under the great Tangerine.
pmJc4JU6j

The Invasion of Kongo commences, under the name of 'Operation Enduring Tangerines'
poYPSq1oj

We defeat a Kongolese army.
pmj59SAqj

They surrender, with us taking North Angola. Now we have 2 colonies, separate from each other by an uncivilised nation. Can't wait for that truce timer to expire.
poT29jxjj

We gain the province of Mbanza. It sounded like we were getting a lot more when we asked for it.
pnNk9Y9Cj

We host a Lavish Exhibition. Sounds fun!
pl2oi9uTj

Also hosted is the National Conference, which sounds, and is, pretty boring. You can tell which one I am going to!
pnMHeKEyj

We rename our Colonial African Fleet to what Google Translate tells me is African Fleet.
pnpubmXvj

Our European Fleet is now called exactly that.
poWv1VOVj

Same goes for the Indonesian Fleet.
END

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is the end of that update, it seems that Willem III is quite the warmonger. I will ask @kaydesmith for a world map to post.

a map of the Dutch Empire pleaseeeee! :D

Any Paradox Timeline world looks good painted Orange no matter the centuries! :)