nonsensical border gore addressed with new patch?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's part of the DLC IIRC. And it shouldn't be in a Flavour Pack, but here we are one DLC in and locking core features behind DLC is already happening.
Many people called it that the CK3 DLCs would essentially just be rehashes of the CK2 ones. Seems they were correct. The content list for Northern Lords reads like a copy-paste of the Old Gods DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's part of the DLC IIRC. And it shouldn't be in a Flavour Pack, but here we are one DLC in and locking core features behind DLC is already happening.

It's the Paradox way, so I'm not surprised at all. Paradox basically makes games that are pretty large and wide, but very shallow. This leaves a largely blank canvas that they can paint with DLC's. Add to that, that PDX always (as in all their games from 2010) has used the method where their DLC's change the base game, and not just parts of certain cultures etc. It's honestly a poor model, and it must be exceptionally hard to determine what experience your players are referring to when they talk about the game - some might have DLC A, F and K, another has B, E and K and then some don't even have any while some have them all. It's massively different experiences.

Lastly, I find the games to lack a lot of content. Releasing DLC's are fine, but I'd rather have the Devs actually work to flesh out the game for all players, and not just those buy the DLC's.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Many people called it that the CK3 DLCs would essentially just be rehashes of the CK2 ones. Seems they were correct. The content list for Northern Lords reads like a copy-paste of the Old Gods DLC.
I don't see how it is a rehash. They improved on CK2 features, sure, but it is hardly the same content.

Reactions:
No, CK3 reads like a rehash of the old gods DLC. Because CK3 already had 90 percent of the old gods features.

Reactions:
I love how it's possible on the forums now to just mark posts as "I disagree" without actually saying why you disagree with anything, very productive for discussions

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I was skeptical of the new adventurer system, but it does seem to be a bit of an improvement over the previous tendency of Norse realms to pick up exclaves everywhere. Unfortunately, that was only one small facet of the problem. AI realms are still torn to shreds by constant peasant revolts and independence factions, and the trend towards splintering is still much stronger than the trend towards unification. In the observer game I ran with the new patch, Europe was disintegrated within 100 years, and no country had any real coherence. The AI was just constantly on the brink of crisis and getting torn about by more rebels.

Reactions:
So, what should be in DLC?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, what do you think should be in DLCs then? Pure cosmetics? Personally I am happy that the DLCs contain real content. I wouldn't be interested in purely cosmetic DLCs. I buy the DLCs because they contain actual mechanics and game content. :)

I took a look at the Wiki page for TOG and these seem to have been the main features it introduced:

Playable pagans
Zoroastrianism (playable)
867 start date
Leader-led revolts
Adventurers
Raiding
Reforming pagan faiths
New tech system

Except for adventurers, every single one of those features is part of base CK3 without requiring the Northern Lords DLC. And adventurers was the least important of these features IMO, though YMMV.

And the feature which was discussed in this exchange, the Varangian conquest CB, does not exist in CK2, with or without TOG.

I don't get how you can see Northern Lords as a close copy of TOG when most of TOG was already part of base CK3.

Reactions:
So, what should be in DLC?

For flavor packs? Music, costumes, units, whatever. Mostly cosmetic stuff. Maybe some flavor-specific event chains.

Expansions? Paradox already messed up by making the entire world playable and flavorless, so now when they charge for an expansion it doesn't unlock the region/religion/whatever as The Old Gods and Swords of Islam did, but now adds otherwise kinda-necessary features. Anyway, expansions should flesh out a mechanic for the base game such as the College of Cardinals influencing how the Pope is chosen or a playable government form for the Byzantines as an example.

Look at how other games do this: if I'm playing Battle Brothers and I want to be able to fight the northern Barbarians, I need to buy the DLC. If I'm playing Total Warhammer and want to play as Ikit Claw, I need to buy the DLC that includes him. I don't know why Paradox struggles so much with this (is it intentional?), but they do.

Bottom line is that a fix for Sweden blobbing everywhere shouldn't be in a Flavor Pack.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Paradox already messed up by making the entire world playable and flavorless, so now when they charge for an expansion it doesn't unlock the region/religion/whatever as The Old Gods and Swords of Islam did, but now adds otherwise kinda-necessary features.

I... utterly and completely fail to see how having everything playable from the start can be anything but a good thing.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I... utterly and completely fail to see how having everything playable from the start can be anything but a good thing.

Because everything is similarly bland and playing in India feels the same as France. Would've been better to get basics right (like Holy Wars and Crusades which still do not work properly), then unlock other regions with all their mechanics through expansions. It would be easier to develop too since they'd be able to focus on something and decide where they want to go with it and how they want it to work, not worry so much about shoehorning the thing into the placeholder frankensystems they've created for themselves.

Reactions:
I don't think varingians would be a core feature if it wasn't for it's effect on the AI.

For a player it's honestly just a CB with some flavour events and it'll automatically release your lands back home which you can manually do in vanilla.

For the AI though I 100% agree. These Virangian realms are really a huge step up.

I think it would be acceptable if the AI had access to the CB even if players don't

I don't know how you do cultural content without retreading over the same historical cultural facts.

I'm just not sure what else they could have done? Would it have made sense to make a norse DLC without blots and runestones? The veringian stuff is all new. Duels and winter weather are just fundamental to the gameplay I don't know how they could make them anymore different. Neither of which are from the old gods DLC for ck2 but latter ones.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't know why Paradox struggles so much with this (is it intentional?), but they do.
You can play anyone in the base game is Paradox's thing, and with the exception of CK1+2, it has been since EU2.

Because everything is similarly bland and playing in India feels the same as France. Would've been better to get basics right (like Holy Wars and Crusades which still do not work properly), then unlock other regions with all their mechanics through expansions. It would be easier to develop too since they'd be able to focus on something and decide where they want to go with it and how they want it to work, not worry so much about shoehorning the thing into the placeholder frankensystems they've created for themselves.

But like, what's the difference between what you're proposing, and the exact same thing but with everyone playable in vanilla?

This has gone way off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.