Nobody expects the Spanish expedition!: Part III - Revelling in sunk costs*

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While the whole AI being able to conduct transoceanic wars thing is great. I am kinda worried that in two of three beta AAR France has taken New York.

Hey Avindian, this might've been mentioned but when you release a Dominion does it get your primary culture?

non-historical dynamic dominions get the dominant culture in the area, if its too small it gets yours. yours is always added as accepted

I hope the next expansion will cover that. That and submarines ;-)

I remember Podcat saying that he would only want to do submarines in victoria III as with the current world market the transportation of goods is not represented. Currently subs would have no shipping to sink and thus would be a half arsed inclusion.

Paradox icon bump! Sweet AAR!

I'm glad you're pleased! :)

Great AAR! And I love the changes to the naval system.

Can you roughly estimate how many battleships/dreadnoughts can the UK support? Also did the Ledger receive any improvements, so you can actually see how many units of each type you have? :)

Well, in this current game (which is an earlier build, mind) the UK has about 1700 support points, which would be enough for 34 battleships if that was all they built. I know they've messed with the numbers some, but that'll give you a rough idea. Sadly, the ledger has, at least at present, gotten no love.

What does 'political considerations' refer to? Just the fear in Prussia and Austria of an independent Poland?

It is a series of under the hood modifiers gathered from all things AI. Basically the same stuff as what humans think when they are to decide whom to support and whom to strike down (to have pretty and clean borders in my case ;-)) - though AI has it abstracted into 0s and 1s, computed and then added into this number.

Exactly.

I like how the crisis of New York went. Any way this could help making things like the Triple Intervention in the 1st Sino-Japanese War happen? Japan conquered Port Arthur from China and demanded it in the peace negotiations. But three European countires (Russia, France and Germany) made a ruckus about it and in the final peace settlement Japan didn't get Port Arthur. Russia would annex that place in the folowing years and 10 years later Japan would go to war against Russia for it. So, in some way, we could see a balance of powers acutally try to happen.

Wikipedia has this:

Although Japan had achieved what it had set out to accomplish, namely to end Chinese influence over Korea, Japan reluctantly had been forced to relinquish the Liaodong Peninsula, (Port Arthur), in exchange for an increased financial indemnity. The European powers (Russia especially), while having no objection to the other clauses of the treaty, did feel that Japan should not gain Port Arthur, for they had their own ambitions in that part of the world. Russia persuaded Germany and France to join her in applying diplomatic pressure on the Japanese, resulting in the Triple Intervention of 23 April 1895.

If somebody besides Japan had cores on Port Arthur, this is entirely possible.

So Great Wars are no longer a mod? Does it work the same way?

Anyways, very informative AAR, and I can't wait for the release!

Added to AHD (which was noted later on.)

I am loving these AARs.

One thing though: Soviet Union? Communist Prussia? Waaait a minute - I've never seen either one in my AHD games, let alone both. Are these revolutions more likely to happen in HoD? I would welcome that!

Edit: Also, how is Prussia not yet NGF in the 1880s? Either something weird but awesome is going on in your AAR game or balance has been changed for the better.

Revolutions are more probable, that much is certain. NGF probably didn't form because of the revolution, I'm thinking.

Wait the soviet union actually formed? Slanderous lies!

It's in the pictures, as they say. :D

They were added in AHD, which is one of the system requirements for HoD...

Exactly.

Monarchs backing a soviet union!? Traitors to their right to rule! Blasphemers!

EDIT:

Now, if only there was a way to back rebels, or counter rebels, such as the white army in russia... ;)

A good idea for another expansion!

Hey Avindian, this might've been mentioned but when you release a Dominion does it get your primary culture?

Podcat answered you, I think.

I remember Podcat saying that he would only want to do submarines in victoria III as with the current world market the transportation of goods is not represented. Currently subs would have no shipping to sink and thus would be a half arsed inclusion.

Not just that, but you'd need detection mechanics as well, otherwise subs aren't much good.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments!

Many thanks, Avindian.

Very, very informative and detailed, like all other parts. :)

Regarding AI invasions: Could you see if the AI rebuilt transport ships etc. again after they had been sunk in a previous war?

I only ask because in my recent games the AI actually never rebuilt lost transport-fleets and therefor future invasions ceased.

Two question: One, I heard that Colonial points are based on your ships, so do they scale with the ships supply cost, so as to avoid issues like 16 man-o-wars providing more points an 1 battleship?

Two, how does the adjacency thing work for releasing dominions. For example, would you release just Sulawesi in the Dutch east indies as dominion, or is the whole state?

About naval supplies, how do you increase them? Naval bases and tech only or is there something more? Larger naval bases give you more supplies right? Does it make any difference if I build a naval base in a state or a colony, in a core or in a non core? Thanks!

Many thanks, Avindian.

Very, very informative and detailed, like all other parts. :)

Regarding AI invasions: Could you see if the AI rebuilt transport ships etc. again after they had been sunk in a previous war?

I only ask because in my recent games the AI actually never rebuilt lost transport-fleets and therefor future invasions ceased.

I can tell you the AI builds much larger transport fleets -- at one point in this AAR, the UK had 50 clipper transports! :eek: As far as rebuilding, I'm not sure.

Two question: One, I heard that Colonial points are based on your ships, so do they scale with the ships supply cost, so as to avoid issues like 16 man-o-wars providing more points an 1 battleship?

Two, how does the adjacency thing work for releasing dominions. For example, would you release just Sulawesi in the Dutch east indies as dominion, or is the whole state?

1. Yes, it scales with supply weight.
2. I believe it will try to go to the state level, if possible, but I'm not certain.

About naval supplies, how do you increase them? Naval bases and tech only or is there something more? Larger naval bases give you more supplies right? Does it make any difference if I build a naval base in a state or a colony, in a core or in a non core? Thanks!

Naval bases and techs are the way to increase it. To increase overall naval supplies, where you site the base doesn't matter, but in terms of where you can build ships, it matters a great deal.

I hope it gets added, historically it's more or less how Britain got ahold of Cyprus.

Me too!

Nice AAR. Do battleships get a new sprite, and just to make sure.... did you say that cruisers now have the ability to carry passengers, i.e. soldiers. (you mentioned weight)

Nice AAR. Do battleships get a new sprite, and just to make sure.... did you say that cruisers now have the ability to carry passengers, i.e. soldiers. (you mentioned weight)

Supply weight; only transports carry soldiers. I'm not sure if battleships get a new sprite or not, I don't normally pay attention to such things. :)

Thanks to everyone else for commenting! And yes, SCY0, you should definitely try AHD without mods.