• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick question. Why does Sierra Leone have British as the primary culture? Are all dominions just using a British placeholder for now and the dynamic cultures or whatever just haven't been implemented yet?

This, definitely this. Why British?

Nice to see commanding dominion units is indeed a choice. I always hated the massive wars where you had to check on Africa to win, even though the actual important fighting was in Europe anyway.

This, definitely this. Why British?

I explained this on last AAR. Hes using an old build where they had british culture. You cant really start over with each new beta build for an AAR or you will never finish it.

Second question: can I colonize inland provinces which are connected to a dominion of mine?
That might be useful to counter the above effect, take a few provinces -> release, take a few more, release again, albeit it might be difficult to balance.

yes, you can do that

I explained this on last AAR. Hes using an old build where they had british culture. You cant really start over with each new beta build for an AAR or you will never finish it.

Thanks, found it:

I'm not sure how the cultures are determined; in my game at least, the new dominion didn't inherit my primary and secondary cultures.
It does now though :) Its based on largest 2 pop cultures in the area (assumign they are big enough), but it adds the masters cultures as well to accepted

In addition to that, do we know prior to release what the primary culture and accepted cultures will be? Or is it sort of a surprise. I'm asking because some of the larger land masses will be a bit hard to guestimate with.

In addition to that, do we know prior to release what the primary culture and accepted cultures will be? Or is it sort of a surprise. I'm asking because some of the larger land masses will be a bit hard to guestimate with.

That's a good question actually. Primary culture will be the local tribal majority, the peoples who will be in charge of the government of that dominion (so it's playable as a country). Other significant tribes, as well as master country's culture will be treated as accepted, to make sure they don't get discriminated against. British culture for everyone, the way it's shown in Avi's screenshots was just a placeholder and is a thing of the past now.

For example, here's an (exclusive!) pic of a dynamic Austrian dominion in Somalia:

hmNDJ84.jpg

That's a good question actually. Primary culture will be the local tribal majority, the peoples who will be in charge of the government of that dominion (so it's playable as a country). Other significant tribes, as well as master country's culture will be treated as accepted, to make sure they don't get discriminated against. British culture for everyone, the way it's shown in Avi's screenshots was just a placeholder and is a thing of the past now.

For example, here's an (exclusive!) pic of a dynamic Austrian dominion in Somalia:

hmNDJ84.jpg

I understand that, but before releasing them will we know who the majority is or will we have to guess? The reason I ask is because, if these dominions are areas of contiguous lands, they will be made out of large numbers of states at times resulting in a fairly vague knowledge of which groups actually have a majority before the release of the dominion. I'm wondering if it says on the tooltip before release what culture will be the primary one.

You hold them as colonies before you release them. So you can check the POPs who live there, through the population screen or culture map mode. It's typically very easy to predict who gets control of the government where. You could as well go to the map of Africa in AHD, check the cultures for regional majorities and predict who will get what in HOD.

I understand that, but before releasing them will we know who the majority is or will we have to guess? The reason I ask is because, if these dominions are areas of contiguous lands, they will be made out of large numbers of states at times resulting in a fairly vague knowledge of which groups actually have a majority before the release of the dominion. I'm wondering if it says on the tooltip before release what culture will be the primary one.

Why does it really matter? Would it have that much of an effect on your choice to release them?

Why does it really matter? Would it have that much of an effect on your choice to release them?

Yes. I won't go into detail, but I feel better about giving up territories if the people of the country I am playing are still the primary ones in charge. Sort of how the Brits did with most of their dominions in real life.

Yes. I won't go into detail, but I feel better about giving up territories if the people of the country I am playing are still the primary ones in charge. Sort of how the Brits did with most of their dominions in real life.

The British would never let the Zulus in charge of South Africa, which is why I think it's so strange that the natives become the primary culture of a released dominion.

The British would never let the Zulus in charge of South Africa, which is why I think it's so strange that the natives become the primary culture of a released dominion.

I hope it's moddable. It is fairly unrealistic. I can't think of any dominion the UK, or anyone else for that matter, willingly released that went on to be governed by people outside of the enfranchised colonialists.

You can always save, release and see the result (and load if you dont like it)

I hope it's moddable. It is fairly unrealistic. I can't think of any dominion the UK, or anyone else for that matter, willingly released that went on to be governed by people outside of the enfranchised colonialists.

Honestly, this "largest culture is the primary culture of the released dominion" thing only really makes sense in the case of Canada, which has Anglo-Canadian pops. Everywhere else (except Australia and new Zealand, I suppose), you'd get ahistorical dominions that have the natives in charge. If you released South Africa as a dominion right off the bat, you'd get a native run nation, which just makes no sense within the historical context of the game.

The one thing I do not like is that the AI is given all contiguous territory.

I hate that. I should be able to tell them what they get, not play the system so that I can release a dominion, then colonize, then release, etc.

That's probably the one thing I do not like so far.

Honestly, this "largest culture is the primary culture of the released dominion" thing only really makes sense in the case of Canada, which has Anglo-Canadian pops. Everywhere else (except Australia and new Zealand, I suppose), you'd get ahistorical dominions that have the natives in charge. If you released South Africa as a dominion right off the bat, you'd get a native run nation, which just makes no sense within the historical context of the game.

I just remembered this: because the nations of Canada, South Africa and Australia already exist in the game, they already have a defined culture, and are not affected by this new feature. The problem only arrises when you liberate dynamically generated dominions. While we won't see South Africa run by the zulus, the xhosa or the khoisan, an animist Senegal led by african minor is a possibility... a terrible, terrible possibility.

Because I don't think it's plausible that the europeans would be selfish enough to abdicate of the white man's burden. No. The white man alone must carry that burden into the heart of darkness. The natives must be spared! Their innocence can not be spoiled by the hardships of self governance. We must guide them. They must learn to speak the language of civilization, they must abandon their childish beliefs and be redeemed by the word of Our Lord, and we must bring them civilization whatever the costs. It is our duty. This noble and difficult task can only be carried by us, for if let to themselves they would quickly descend into the savagery they came from.

I'm sorry, I don't want to derail the thread any further, this is a great AAR, but please Podcat reconsider your decisions and do the right thing ;)