• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(87046)

Second Lieutenant
Nov 10, 2007
There's No Such Thing As A Free Sudetenland!

The title implies all: A Czechoslovakian AAR. Normal/Agressive. The plan is - obviously - not to give in to the German demands for Sudetenland and fight them instead. In time, the Czechs might even become a new world power...

Chapter 1 - The Road To Freedom Cannot Be Achieved Alone

Eduard Benes still remembered it. The proclamation of an independent Czechoslovakia, free from the faltering Austria-Hungary, and free from any dictatorial or monarchic oppression. Free market and democracy were the norm today... Czechoslovakia was a shining beacon of light amongst increasingly dictatorial policies by their neighbours.

Neighbours, which would all be eager to take Czech ground for themselves, if the young democracy would be careless. And one neighbour above all the others.

Der Führer. Benes had always disliked Hitler, and his blathering about a greater Germany. Although Germany's hands should be bound by the treaty of Versailles, Hitler had already started rearming the country and would - possibly - bring Europe on the brink of yet another Great War. Although the first Great War brought his country independence, he feared another war would not be in his favor.

But now, a man had come to Prague. Benes had personally invited him there. This man wielded considerable power himselves, and had friends which wielded even more power.

Getting on his good side would be important, for that would ensure an industrially more powerful Czechoslovakian state... a state, which if need be, could stand up to hostile neighbours.

The man's name was Anthony Eden.

Let's see you win this one :D it's very much possible but you'll need all your army and if Hungary back stabs you soon enough it's game over, friend :D I'd try to ally them and generally appeal to their good side.

If I win, it's great.
If I lose, I know why the Czechs surrendered without a fight. ;)

ThePhysicist said:
If I win, it's great.
If I lose, I know why the Czechs surrendered without a fight. ;)
Good luck.

Why do I have a feeling that the Germans will back down after you say no..... :cool:

Save before that! Or in case that happens and don't have any recent save, be an a§§ and declare the AAR ended :p

They actually do that? :eek:
If that happens, it's save & reload... and from then on, I know Hitler's a REAL wimp. :p

Or you can re-fire the event.

Or you can go authoritarian (one move to authoritarian plus the two election events should do it, if not add one more or a move to right wing - if you own Armageddon you don't need to waste your sliders on this at all) and declare on Germany yourself.

Or you can go for world conquest. Which of course you can do AFTER you pwn Germany anyway.

Oh, the possibilities :D

Rotten Venetic said:
Or you can go for world conquest. Which of course you can do AFTER you pwn Germany anyway.

Oh, the possibilities :D
:rofl:

linque said:
Go for the World
Which you can do after you pwn germany :p

Chapter 2 - State of the Nation

After Eden had been convinced of the Czech strength, the Brits were quick to let the Czechs join the Allies. The first deal with the Brits would be concluded soon after that - they would get the official Skoda-designed Light Tank Blueprints and a small "monetary boost" in return for the blueprints for Machine Tools and a Census Tabulating Machine. Further blueprints were expected from the Brits soon. Research in these departments was already being conducted, most importantly the Skoda factories working on more efficient machinery. The deal had now been closed for over a month, but they still reaped the benefit in the R&D department.

czechaar1qc7.jpg

Eduard Benes's thoughts drifted back towards the meeting with the military chiefs. The War Council. Benes hated these meetings... he had no intent at all to prepare for a war - let alone to fight one. Yet there had been urgency in the voice of Marshal Krejci when he requested his presence at the hurried meeting of the military. Seemed to be an emergency...There they sat, the men who led the country's defense. General Jan "One Eye" Syrovy, a man with not only military but also political ambitions. Marshal Ludvik Krejci, chief of the army. Chief of Staff Frantisek Machnik. And - oddly enough - Antonin Hasal and Emil Janouska, two military leaders which held... err... ceremonial positions. Though Janouska would maybe get his way with a possible Czechoslovakia Air Force, Hasal's presence did not contribute anything. That's the kind of thing you faced when you were admiral in a landlocked country.

"Well, let's keep this short. The Germans are remobilizing their army. We need to act or we will one day be crushed beneath them." spoke Krejci. "Fortunately, not only have we got one of the more powerful armies in this part of Europe, we have also got more tanks than the rest of the Allies put together.

wegotpanzersandyoudontfo6.jpg

"We know you are not in favor of us going to war, Eduard. But we do fear that the Germans will bring it to us. The only option is to make a sizeable military. And because we will be short on men to join us in the war - we need to consider other ways of building a military. We need to invest a large portion of research into getting an air force. It's the only way to overcome our manpower shortage."

"Is there no peaceful solution to the problems?" Benes asked.

The answer came from Syrovy. "I think a preemptive strike against neighbours friendly to Germany is not only an option, I think it is the only way. We would gain resources otherwise committed to feeding a Nazi regime. And we would gain more land... in time, maybe even enough to make Antonin Hasal's position more than just a ceremonial one."

Benes left the room. This meeting had only shown one thing... that dreams of "peace in our time" would possibly be going down the drain quicker than expected.

Chapter 3 - So Much For Democracy

PRAGUE - June 11, 1936

A messenger came to inform the Czech leaders. "Sir, we have just recounted the votes, and the people are clear in their vote. They have elected Jan Syrovy as the new president of Czechoslovakia."

Everybody in the room gasped. Nobody had even expected a military leader to want to take part in the election, let alone win it.
Benes broke the silence. "But... how? Do they want war and suffering over peace and prosperity? Do they really think Syrovy will lead the nation to a series of victory? Do they think Syrovy will listen to what they want, let alone allow them to speak out what they want? Are they afraid of Germany?"

Former Prime Minister Milan Hodza answered: "I think it is just that. After the Germans have remilitarized the Rhineland, they start feeling that the Germans will be conducting war soon. Or Hitler's eternal speeching about "Grossdeutschland", to which he would like to add our outer regions. It is not your fault, Eduard. If anyone is to take the blame for your loss of the election, it's that maniac in Germany. If they would feel like they would live in peace, you'd be re-elected. After all, it is probably best to have a general at the country's helm in war."

The door of the council hall swung open, and Jan Syrovy walked in, a smug look set upon his face. Once more, Benes was the first to talk.

"I suppose I'll have to congratulate you on your victory, is it not? It seems the people favor a dictator after all."

"And they are right about that. No more living in fear of our neighbours, as we will build our own forces to a height that will match theirs. Who cares about having a say in matters if we are crushed into dirt by the Germans, the Austrians, or even the Hungarians? Eduard, think of it - there is no reason to try and keep peace if the rest of the world is at war."

The former and the new president lowered their voices, so that nobody in the room understood a clear word of what they were saying.

"Switzerland managed to keep out, didn't they? Why should we not be able to keep out of war?"
"Because I already declared it."

"... WHAT?"

The council room looked up. Syrovy sought a quick way to diplomatically talk himself out of it.

"As I have already informed several leaders of our military, we have been planning preemptive strikes against countries who are likely to end up going to war with us. With these strikes, not only will we secure that they will not strike against us, but we will be able to expand our own base as well. It is a necessity, but we will end up stronger because of it. Think of it as an opportunity. Now if you'll excuse me, I am needed at the front."

With these words, Syrovy walked towards the door. Benes called out after him "This is not a preemptive strike, this is a goddamn war of agression! Who are we going to war against?"

Syrovy smiled as he looked back at Benes, still staring at him in disbelief of the words he had just heard.
"Hungary. Now if you'll excuse me..."

attackxl9.jpg

You're in the Allies after Syrovy took contol???

BTW nice storytelling.

Chapter 4 - A War Of Four Days

An excerpt from "History of the Interbellum - Smaller Conflicts":

"Many people in what was then Hungary still refuse to speak about the Czecho-Hungarian War, or will greatly exaggerate the Hungarian resistance - such as the desperate defense of Budapest, and the Battle of Debrecen. The shameful defeat and surrender by Miklós Horthy is still too painful to speak of - a war which Hungary lost in four days.

It is remarked that the war would not have started if not for the paranoia of Jan Syrovy. Syrovy - who surprisingly defeated his opponent and predecessor Eduard Benes in the Czechoslovakian presidential election of 1936 -advocated early action against nations who would try to press their claims on his country and resort to force if necessary. Despite protests of Hungarian officials, including no other than Hungarian minister of Foreign Affairs Kálmán Kánya, who claimed "We have no intention to press our claims on Presov!" Syrovy declared war on Hungary the 11th of June 1936, the same day he was elected as both President and Prime Minister of Czechoslovakia. The Czechs acted with international backing of Britain and France, who did not participate in any war efforts, but welcomed the opportunity of having Miklós Horthy's fascist regime being overthrown.

Why the Italians came back on their promise to aid the Hungarians in case of foreign agression is still subject to debate. At this moment, the consensus is that the Italians would join in a war they could not win and backed out of it to save their own hides. With the UK dominant in the Mediterranean, France on their western border, and Czechoslovakia ready to plow through Austria towards Italy if need be, they would be subjected to attack from three sides, as well as losing the link to the colonial forces to the Royal Navy. A war with the Allies would lead to a quick demise of Italy, which probably caused them to back down."

BRATISLAVA - June 11, 1936

The arrival of President and Prime Minister of Czechoslovakia, and General of the Czechoslovakian Army Jan Syrovy was eagerly awaited at the front. While General Vojcechovsky kept the temporary command, nobody was to move before the President gave the order. As Syrovy arrived, Vojcechovsky informed him of the current situation.
"Sir, your panzers are ready. I'm not sure if the Hungarians are afraid to move or that they're still not up-to-date with the situation. Maybe they're preparing a feint."

Syrovy answered "Bother. The attack is to commence as soon as possible. The infantry is suppose to give cover while I and Lt.General Kutlvasr will drive our two panzer divisions straight into Budapest. After that, the infantry will if need be give cover in Budapest while we drive on and take Pecs. Likely their most heavy defense line is at Budapest, so if we manage to break through thier defenses taking Pecs directly after Budapest should not pose a problem."

"Meanwhile, the troops under Field Marshal Krejci will start the attack on Debrecen at exactly the same time as we will. Like it is here, speed will be important. Therefore, another panzer division under Mj.General Fassati will rush ahead and take Debrecen as soon as is reasonably possible. If we manage to seize Budapest, Pecs and Debrecen, Hungary will be stripped of its major cities and industrial centers and will likely capitulate. It is not our objective to destroy the whole Hungarian Army, it is to control their vital point as soon as is reasonably possible. Any more questions?"

"No sir, I can't think of anything."
"Then go, the attack will commence in 10 minutes!"

The plan was - reasonably flawless - executed.
The initial offense:
invasion1ef7.jpg

The capture of Budapest:
invasion2dd2.jpg

Flawless victory, and only in 4 days!
invasion3gm4.jpg

Except for one little thing...
invasiona1yo5.jpg

The Czechs might just have succeeded in starting World War II early. I'll have to rewrite Interbellum History.

Crush3r: Yes, I'm still in the Allies. There are more PA governments on the Allied side.