• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also why not make it a universal system, where trucks and half-track chassis can also be designed?
They would have different armor and design options, and no access to direct fire armament.

I mean amphibious capability, easy maintenance, radios, machine guns, engine, armor type (if any) are real questions for trucks and mechanized

Reactions:
Getting in behind enemy lines and cutting the major supply lines will indeed be possible. And combat on that province will damage it. So the longer you hold out while they fight to dislodge you, will impact future throughput more and more.
Thank you for reply.
Though this is not quite what I meant. What I meant was - if I land a paratroop unit behind enemy line on an enemy railroad - will I be able to destroy the railroad (do the scorched earth command), so that not only is the flow of supplies interrupted while the unit is there, but the railroad has to be repaired/rebuilt after enemy recaptures the province.

But we definitley need a designer for aircraft too!
I agree, but design for 'planes is a lot more complex and trade-offy than for tanks; you need to balance range, weight, drag, power, aerodynamics/streamlining, weapon power, reliability, speed and protection - and increasing more or less any of those will decrease others (except maybe weight...).

For the benefit of any devs reading, there is a new roleplaying game out about pilots and dogfighting; it has a 'plane design system that seems to deal with anything from the dawn of flight to the early jet age, with a neat web-based 'plane designer here that is worth looking at. The game is called "Flying Circus"; the basic game is set in a fantasy setting, but it has a historical mode, too.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you for reply.
Though this is not quite what I meant. What I meant was - if I land a paratroop unit behind enemy line on an enemy railroad - will I be able to destroy the railroad (do the scorched earth command), so that not only is the flow of supplies interrupted while the unit is there, but the railroad has to be repaired/rebuilt after enemy recaptures the province.
As I understand it from the diaries so far, the simple act of capturing a state will disrupt the railways there, requiring some measure of repair (and the enemy capturing the state back would have the same result). I guess adding scorched earth would do more, but if you expect your advance to connect with the paras, I guess that might not be a great plan...

• 2Like
Reactions:
As I understand it from the diaries so far, the simple act of capturing a state will disrupt the railways there, requiring some measure of repair (and the enemy capturing the state back would have the same result). I guess adding scorched earth would do more, but if you expect your advance to connect with the paras, I guess that might not be a great plan...
Even if I connect with the paras - that depends where my supply is coming from.
I was thinking about situations like Japan airdropping on and sabotaging Burma railroad or Germany landing paras on Moscow-Murmansk railroad. In both cases units will most probably be lost, but if they can cause significant enough disruption of supplies - the effect may be strategically significant.

What is the ship meta?
My info might not be completely correct because I don't play MP, but I've read a lot about it in the forums because I like ships. So it should be at least 90% correct. The surface ship meta is occasionally being discussed on the forum.

DDs with just a single gun (cheapest one), no AA and no torps, so they are cheap and you can produce a lot of them. There's no focus fire in HoI4 so having more ships spreads the damage better and you lose fewer ships. Good engine so they are harder to hit, effectively increasing their health. A handful of them (a third or a quarter) should have a decent torpedo launcher, adding torpedos to all of your DDs is not cost-efficient. Their main purpose is to be a meat shield for your capital ships.

Hybrid cruisers with a single CA battery (cheapest one) and as many CL / secondary batteries (so guns with light attack) as possible. CL guns cost more steel when going to the 1940 tech, so you want to use the 1936 ones unless you have the steel to spare. Biggest engine, no AA and no armor. Armor just makes them more expensive and easier to hit (lowers their speed and increases their visiblity = hit profile) and doesn't protect against capital ship guns anyway. Because they count as capital ships, they get a +40% boost to accuracy when fully screened, so you effectively have godmode CLs that can't be targeted by other screens, can dodge capital ship attacks pretty well and deal a crap ton of light attack, shredding the enemy screen. Once those are gone, your torpedo DDs will annihilate the enemy capital ships.

BBs are too expensive and the starting BBs are usually too weak and slow, but if you know that the enemy will bomb your ships you can retrofit a few of your starting BBs to have as much AA as possible (stack all the AA and dual-purpose secondary guns you can get). AA is only good on a ship if it gets attacked (the passive damage reduction for the overall fleet is too small to justify putting AA on your other ships and making them more expensive) and because BBs have a very high priority to be targeted by planes, your retrofitted BBs will attract most of the attention and shred the enemy planes because of their high AA values.

CVs are also too expensive, but if your country has some of them already built at the start of the game, you can use them - as long as you aren't in range of land-based enemy planes.

The strategy is to have a single, huge navy. If you micro your fleet (moving them manually to force encounters or join naval battles of your ally), set them to always engage (guarantees that your fleet will enter an ongoing battle on its sea tile) and never repair (you will manually send them to port when necessary).
The meta doctrine is Trade Interdiction: The left branch gives buffs to speed (harder to hit) and visibility (also harder to hit), and survivability is the most important stat for a ship. It also just requires a few tech levels to research in order to get your buffs.
The meta designer is Raiding Fleet (again, lower visibility and speed, making your ships much more survivable) and if your country doesn't have that, Coastal Fleet (it debuffs your ships but also makes them a lot cheaper, which is more important because quantity > quality). If your country has neither (e.g. Italy), you're at quite a disadvantage.

Edit: If someone disagrees because I said something wrong, feel free to correct me. But if you disagree because you don't like this meta, I didn't come up with it and I don't like it either. But this is how meta works.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Hello everyone! We know you are all excited to get your hands on No Step Back, and the big day is fast approaching (November 23rd for those who might have missed it)! To tide you over a little and help get you up to date on the new mechanics, we produced a series of short Tutorials that will be coming out this week. The first two are already live, and I will add in the links to the new videos on this post when they come out. Enjoy!

Hello, I have a question about Railways ( Can you delete a railways if you don't like? Or to destroy that line between stations? ).

Will the Ship Designer be updated with similar functionality to the Tank Designer, such that we could press a button for an AI generated balanced design if we're in a hurry or are at a loss, as well as to auto-update with any new research?

Reactions:
Another question - has the AI been updated so that it will stop moving forces from one side of the front line to the other [which may be hundreds of miles away] since then it always ends up moving forces from the other end to replace what it just ordered to move there. I notice that without constant micro [very difficult on long fronts] my units spend more time being passed back and forth from one end of the line to the other and little time in actual combat. Even better would be for the AI to update movement orders when the front line moves so units are not moving to positions that are now behind the front.

So there are about a few various questions popping up in here, and rather than answer them all individually I think the better thing to do is just tell you guys that before launch our outgoing Game Director, Dan, and our incoming Game Director, Peter, will be having a casual stream playing No Step Back where they will take your questions.

• 6Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
Great work on the video tutorials, a top initiative and a very good way of helping people learn the game :) Am really looking forward to NSB - have been intentionally starving myself of HoI4 and might have started a week or two sooner than sensible, so very keen for Nov 23 to come around :)

Reactions:
I was enjoying watching the Finns and Soviets fight it out in the Weather tutorial video, until I realized that there isn't a Finland focus tree in this update.

I hope that the Nordic countries update comes soon after NSB, so we can have a proper Russo-Finnish War in the game.

Reactions:
I like the Weather improvements but...yeah man, no one is going to micro their hundreds of units constantly for weather conditions. You either add macro controls for how your units behave in weather or it will just remain a random/pointless/underutilized mechanic.

It's also somewhat misleading to talk about the Finnish-Soviet Winter War attrition when the game doesn't have manpower attrition at all. Only equipment suffers attrition. Which has always been very strange.

Reactions:
I like the Weather improvements but...yeah man, no one is going to micro their hundreds of units constantly for weather conditions. You either add macro controls for how your units behave in weather or it will just remain a random/pointless/underutilized mechanic.

It's also somewhat misleading to talk about the Finnish-Soviet Winter War attrition when the game doesn't have manpower attrition at all. Only equipment suffers attrition. Which has always been very strange.
I dont think it is pointless. You will not check it with hundreds of units, but you will check it before critical attacks like beginning of war, landings, coordinated strike, encirclements. And when you will play as minor and you have time for heavy microing