• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Iferius

Captain
60 Badges
Apr 21, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • PDXCON 2018 "The Baron"
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
I've installed EU4 on my new pc, but it's completely mute. I tried using a different audio output device in the win11 sound mixer, but that didn't work. Chrome and CK3 work just fine, so the issue seems to be EU4 itself. Any ideas?

Run the game up then alt-tab out to the desktop. Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar , open volume mixer. Scroll across until you see the game - check it is not muted or set at a really low level.

If that is not the problem,
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

I got to volume mixer with my debugging skills, that's not the problem. I even tried sending audio output to the monitor speakers through volume mixer with the same mute result...

Here are the requested files.

Attachments

• DXDIAG results.txt
    81,3 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    972 bytes · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    334 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    2,4 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    7 KB · Views: 0
In that dxdiag the sound is set to:
Luidsprekers (UMC404HD 192k)
which I think are plugged into a USB port. I see no installed driver for the monitor speakers, the other two options there are:
Digitale audio (HDMI) (High Definition Audio Device)
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek(R) Audio)
In general that last one would be the best choice, it's presumably the built-in sound hardware in the computer's system board. Can you try that channel as your sound output please?

The UMC404HD is an audio interface connected to my main speakers
The HDMI digital audio sends audio to the monitor speakers
There are no speakers connected to the desktop analog outputs (Realtek), but I'll grab some headphones and try.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The result: when I change my windows sound output first before starting EU4, I can get audio from the second and third outputs. When I change the sound output to the UMC404HD while the program is running, EU4 crashed. I tried the same thing again, and things are getting even weirder: I had sound from my left speaker only, and then EU4 crashed a minute later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things have gotten weirder and worse now:
1678371235823.png

I've reinstalled the game, with no change to this strange result.

-------------------------------------

I've reinstalled the drivers of the audio interface, and now the EU4 sound output works now. It's still working with a broken map though...

------------------------------------

The new issue seems to have been a mod issue - it wasn't supposed to be in my 'initial playset' anyway. The game works fine now :) Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Hard to see why the sound setup would affect the map.

You could try deleting everything in the Documents/Paradox Interactive/EU4 folders except any valued save games.

I've reinstalled the game, with no change to this strange result.
This looks like an outdated mod. Have a look at the playsets section of the launcher. It might have automatically activated an old mod after your reinstall.

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It was an outdated mod! I don't know why it got activated in my initial playset the first time around, but after reinstalling it was obviously active and I just didn't check. Thanks for the help :)