• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bcjames423

Recruit
4 Badges
Jul 6, 2022
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
Hi. Been playing the game for seven months and having a blast until 48 hours ago. The latest save for my ironman mode game was not available. Playing on a Mac through steam. Figured it was a glitch, so no worries. Went and replayed the 3 hours I lost and didn't think much about it, until the same thing happened again. When I hit 'resume' in the stellaris menu in Steam, I get a brand new game that I haven't seen before. When I go back to the game I want to play, The last save file is from 48 hours ago, and even when I play the the game and exit, nothing saves. Checked the save files folder, nothing new there. I don't know if this is an issue with the game, Steam, or both, but if I can't save the progress made in my empire, not much of a point in playing. Please help. Thanks.

When you start a new Ironman game you are asked to choose to save it locally or to the cloud. Which one did you choose?

And whichever one, do you have the same problem if you start a new test galaxy that way?

Localos aves are held here:
Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/save games/

Cloud saves are visible here:

Do you see the missing files in either place?

By the link provided, my last cloud save was over a month ago, so they are stored locally.

When I hit resume in steam, it automatically starts a new game in ironman mode. No options provided.

When I close out the new game, look at my last save for the game I want to play, the date has not changed. Last save has been 07.04 for the last three days. When I play the game and then close it, the save does not update.

-Hard drive still has plenty of space.

Here is the error log file:

[20:29:12][trigger_impl.cpp:1190]: Script Error: Invalid context switch [planet] from H! H!
Rmilitary_ship|1 -class! [starbase], file: common/starbase_modules/00_orbital_ring_modules.txt line: 376, Scope:
type=starbase
id=4294967295
random={ 0 3991148998 }
random_allowed=no

[20:33:17][virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1202]: Could not open file: , error: not a file
[20:33:17][save_game_task.cpp:322]: Failed to write save file File exception: Exception in: /Users/jenkins/workspace/augustus/augustus/clausewitz/pdx_core/virtualfilesystem.cpp, line: 368. Description: Could not open file:
[20:33:17][leader_location.cpp:366]: Calling random inside forbidden area!position: "/Users/jenkins/workspace/augustus/augustus/augustus/source/leader_location.cpp:366"

When I hit resume in steam, it automatically starts a new game in ironman mode. No options provided.
That makes no sense at all - the purpose of resume is to continue an existing game of course!

[20:33:17][virtualfilesystem_physfs.cpp:1202]: Could not open file: , error: not a file
[20:33:17][save_game_task.cpp:322]: Failed to write save file
That really looks like a file system problem, or an antivirus app getting in the way. Which one do you use? Stellaris.exe needs to be in all its exceptions lists.

Update:
-Checked antivirus, no file path problems.
-Archived old stellaris saves to reduce folder size.
-Tested resume with a non-ironman game. Worked just fine.
-Reopened old ironman game. Played two years. Exited. No new save.
-Created new ironman game. No issues saving. No issues with resume.

Bottom line, I guess I am going to write the other game off. Just really weird. Thanks for the help.

Which AV do you use? Some need extra steps.

I thought that the last entry would have ended things, but just keeps getting weirder. Here is a screen capture of the save file for the non-ironman game I want to play:
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 5.15.33 PM.png

As you can see - there is a save from the non-ironman game at 1304 today. Date on the game is 2278.

>>>When I go to through the Stellaris launcher, hit 'play', and go to the menu for my games, the last save that appears in the menu in the Stellaris GUI is the 2228 save.

Makes 0 sense.

Sorry, I missed that you were on a Mac - usually running with no antivirus.

But I think that screenshot shows you have your MacOS Documents folder stored on iCloud rather than your local hard disk, is that right? Because that complicates matters. Did you actually want that to be the case?

After some more digging, I think I have found the culprit.

I went to "Apple Symbol" > 'About this Mac' > Storage > Manage > 'Store in cloud'
Apple's HD management system was automatically uploading files from the Stellaris save folder to icloud. To get to the file, i had to go to Finder then:
-Shift-⌘-G to bring up the 'go to' function
-Then enter ~/Library/ into the bar
-Then enter Stellaris in the top right search bar
-Go to Save files
-Next to the game you are trying to play if there is this symbol -
1657415900033.png

next to the file folder, then the HD management software is loading files to the cloud.
-If you click on the symbol before you load Stellaris, all the saves will be there and you can continue playing. If you do not do this, the save you need may be in icloud and not able to be loaded.

>>If you resume an ironman game overtop of the save, I don't know if the game will accept a new ironman save or not.

***What I can't figure out is a way to make icloud and apple stop messing around with the save folder. The right click options, or the menu options in the HD management function are not tailorable as far as I can tell. If anyone knows how to fix this, I would be much appreciative.

Thanks AndrewT for your patience and help!