• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King_kovu

First Lieutenant
24 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
So, I know I said this would be kept up to date and I'd fix any issues that came up with it and all that but I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back on that.

First of all, with the latest patch, the core of this mod is rendered moot as Paradox have lifted the majority of requirements for player created titles to my understanding.

Secondly, I don't have the time nor the energy to be fiddling with this anymore as I managed to get myself an actual job.

Long story short, I'm going to leave this here as is just in case anyone wants it for whatever reason or if someone wants to use my (bad) coding
for something new. Thank you all who've enjoyed playing with this.

Current Version: 1.11 with choice of modules, uploaded 1st of October 2013

If anyone's interested in Multiplayer, send me a message, i'd like to see what the games like in multiplayer. If you have Evolve (which I just downloaded), find King_Kovu and add me or whatever you do on Evolve

Download Links:

Compatibility:
NR is compatible with all DLCs and 1.111 patch

It should not require any DLC but obviously the LoR related changes will not be available for those without LoR.

I do not know what Mods it is compatible with but I'd assume most overhaul mods are not compatible.

Not Compatible for CK2+ but there is a hybrid mod available above, though it is out of date

NR will only work correctly in English, I apologize.
What the previous version does (v1.10):
Includes Ancient Religions, a mod created by Superskierpat and Jon Severinsson. Though only the religions themselves, no flavour no nothing

Changes Defines to remove age penalties on traits in Ruler Designer (a genius is a genius regardless of age)

Removes all Culture requirements from creating Kingdoms and Empires, including the Christian Requirement to create the Roman Empire.

Changes Byzantine to Eastern Roman Empire

The WRE/HRE has been almost entirely revamped. Now the vanilla HRE is Germania, this is due to the new title. I have added a e_WRE to the game, as you may be aware and that is used in place of the e_hre. It exists as a solely titular being that grants the holder access to the LOR goodies. It begins in 867 in the hands of the King of italy (that's right) and in 1066 in the hands of the Emperorer of Germania...formally the HRE. The old name changing events are still in place, though now applying to the new title of the WRE, changing it to HRE or Carolingian Empire if you hit the criteria. Germania(e_hre) cannot mend the schism or restore the Roman empire, only the holder of the WRE/HRE (e_wre)or ERE may do that.

Makes the Restoration of the Roman Empire achievable by either the holder of the ERE or the WRE(regardless of what name it has at the time). You can also mend the great schism as either WRE or ERE, even if you're not Christian. I feel that if you unite the 'schism' under any one religion then technically it's still mending the schism as both East and West would share a religion (theoretically) and I feel the HRE should be able to try to restore the Roman Empire.

Events relating to restoring the Roman Empire or Mending the Schism should no longer be specifically written for an Orthodox ERE ruler. Any mention of Pentrachys has been replaced by 'holy sites', orthodoxy with 'Our faith' and any mention of Byzantine or 'East Roman' has been removed and replaced with Roman or something similar. (if you are not a christian when mending the Schism then just think of it in the way that they are still Holy sites to the people of the empire, so by collecting them you are proving that your faith is stronger than theirs)

I cannot promise that the Events to change the name of the WRE are well written but they serve their purpose.

Adds Titular North Sea Empire

Titular Duchy of the Isles becomes a fully fledged titular Kingdom

The Titular kingdom of the isles belongs to Gudrod Crovan in 1066.

Makes mending the great schism as Miaphysite, Catholic, Orthodox or a christian heresy cause that to become the one 'Accepted' Christian faith with the other's becoming heresys.

The Vanilla conversion event that fires off to the AI when having mended the Schism now fires for the following religions: Miaphysite, Catholic, Orthodox, Norse Reformed, Finnish Reformed, Druidic Reformed, Gaelic Pagan Reformed, Slavic Reformed, Baltic Reformed, West African reformed, Zoroastrian, Hellenic, Tengri Reformed, Sunni, Shiite and all Heresys, excluding none reformed pagans.

The Karling dynasty has been renamed the Carolingian Dynasty. Why? Because I can, that's why, shush!

Whenever a new empire in the west is formed, aka, Scandinavia, france, italy, britain or spain, then they gain a claim on the e_wre title but NOT the de jure empire that the holder also holds so long as you meet the criteria. The e_wre is set to a ridiculously high dignity making the AI make it their primary. It's only job is to denote the 'recognized' successor of the Western Roman state and grants you the LOR goodies but nothing else really. The criteria needed to gain the claim when you found an empire are convoluted but basically, if it's after 1066 then you should be fine, if it's not, well then, you have to be worthy! You must have a high enough learning for you to actually care about holding the e_wre(or be a scholar), or you must be a Karling (they naturally will know about it and want it) or be a culture who would naturally have an interest...again, not all the cultures I wanted to put in have been put in YET as I thought I had more time. This is meant to work as a power struggle dynamic

Romano-british culture for RD and a few culture specific localizations for said culture.

Changes a bunch of names.

Name Changes:
England; Bretland(Welsh + Breton), Daneland(Norse + Danish)
Britannia; Scottish Empire, Saxon Empire, Brythonia (Breton, Welsh + Irish), Bretríki (norse)
Hispania; Vandalia (All Scandinavian), Al-Andalus (All Arabic)
Wales; Cymru (all celtic)
Scandinavia; Øksriket (Norse, not finnish...it's entirely made up but I've seen a lot of mentions that Scandinavia didn't fit for the native peoples choice as it's too latin...), Suur-Suomi (finnish)
Wendish; Baltic Empire (Russian and 'Baltic' cultures such as Lithuanian)
Arabian Empire; Egyptian Empire (Egyptian), Outremer (European as a whole)
Wessex; Dumnonia (Breton + Welsh)
ERE; Rum (All Arabic...the titular Sultanate of Rum has not been removed)
Pomerania; Prussia(German+Prussian cultures)
HRE; Western Roman Empire, HRE(Catholic only), Carolingian Empire(the Karlings)
Constantinople; Istanbul (Arabic)
A bunch of Celtic localizations for English counties/baronies and occassional duchies.

I think that's all of them so far...I think...I cannot promise

Changelog for V 1.11...aka, What's new:
Scandinavia; Kalmar Union (Norwegian, Danish and Swedish)

WOOOOO!!!!!! Ancient Religion flavour is back!!!!....get excited....

I have finished fiddling around with features to do with the WRE, I think...if you find anything, tell me.

I think that's actually it....pretty small update really, mostly just cleaning up the mess in the last update

ABOUT THE MODULIZATION
So, I asked for suggestions on where else to go with this mod and the only suggestion was to break it into Modules and that's exactly what I've done. It's not fancy as I didn't take any chances with moving things that might mess up the 'Core' mod file so the e_wre title is still in the core mod but it's no longer got it's history files that attach it to someone.

Basically, all this does is separate whole files. So the Landed Titles file is part of the Core module as that is what removes the requirements so every change i've made to the Landed Titles is also included so basically, this isn't a perfect modulization but it's the best I can do without risks....

So 'No Requirements' is the core mod, then included are NRAR, NRWRE and NR shattered world. NRAR is my version of the Ancient religions mod, which belongs to Superskier and his contributors, i've just edited it to fit with my vision for this mod. NRWRE contains the history file and the events that pertain to the way I messed with the NRWRE.

And finally NR Shattered World...remember that little failed attempt to combine CK2+ with this as a compatibility thing? Well, it wasn't a total bust, I made this...mostly for my own entertainment and just didn't mention it but I put it in there as a nice little add on...since there's no requirements, the shattered world gives you total freedom. I doubt anyone will have too much interest in it but it should entertain a few people so count it as a thank you for enjoying my work and, for those of you who did, contributing. This may or may not work since the major patch but if it doesn't and there's enough interest (aka one person who takes the effort to mention it) I will fix it.

THIS IS WHAT I'M COUNTING AS THE 'COMPLETED' VERSION OF THIS MOD AND THERE WILL BE NO FUTURE UPLOADS TILL THE NEXT PATCH THAT RENDERS IT INCOMPATIBLE...unless someone finds a major bug or I get enough ideas to justify updating. Thank you for downloading, playing and, hopefully, enjoying.

Help Wanted (message me if interested):
Recommendations for other culture, religion or Dynasty specific names.

Recommendations for Titular titles.

Someone who can and will translate it to one of the other languages.

Someone who is willing to put in the time to make the Hybrid with CK2+ to work properly...most of the issue is graphical and I have no ideas on how to work with the graphics because...well..i'm terrible at anything like that.

BETA TESTERS

Author Notes:
If you wish to steal this to use in your mod then go right ahead, just credit me and either post here or message me so I know and can admire my handiwork and tell people that this is included in your mod. Not too much to ask, is it?

If you find any bugs or problems, please inform me, unless I have listed them above, such as anything involving the wording of the LoR specific events.

This mod began life as a simple thing that was designed to simply remove the often ludicrous requirements to form De Jure empires and add in some new names so that it would seem more plausible. For example, should the Norse form Britain they're not going to give it the Roman name now are they? It has, since that simple idea, grown in ambition and scheme. I have now set my mind to creating a 'freedom' mod that will allow the player to do what they want without having to resort to using the console that would break immersion. Want to mend the Great Schism between West and East and bring the entirity of 'Christendom' under the Norse Faith? I say, go for it! And that is now what this mod is becoming about. Giving the player more freedom. If you don't want to do that kind of thing then you don't have to but you'll still enjoy the freedom of being able to form the Arabian empire as a Saxon if you so wish. I will be constantly adding to this mod and building it so long as people remain interested in it so if you have an idea no matter how silly, send it me and I will decide if it goes in or not.

Last edited:
I have updated this mod with new features...I'm not sure if I'm meant to 'bump' or double post like this but as a small number of people had downloaded the old version I wanted to let them see that there is a new version as I doubt they'd be able to find it to recheck...

If a mod has an issue with this, you can delete this post...

I hadn't even thought of it, I will add it in for the next update, which will be whenever I feel there's a significant number of changes to deserve a new update.

(I have now added it to my personal version of the mod and it will be uploaded with the next version)

Last edited:
The thread title kinda misled me, I thought it's about nicknames, I though "welp yet another nickname thread" :)
This is very interesting, testing it for some time now, will try to post any bugs I've found tomorrow.

I am especially fond of the changes to ruler designer.

You'll want to re-do the mend the schism decision for Catholics as soon as possible; right now, its vanilla, so that's fairly shot. I think what you need to do is copy it entirely, then switch "catholic" and "orthodox" whenever they appear, and finally set it so that only one appears for each religion. Don't need to adjust the localization yet, but having the majority of my restored RE suddenly become Orthodox while my own religion becomes a heresy is a bit of a damper. Not entirely, of course, given that by the time I got there I had ridiculous retinue levels so it didn't hurt too much, but still.

The thread title kinda misled me, I thought it's about nicknames, I though "welp yet another nickname thread" :)
This is very interesting, testing it for some time now, will try to post any bugs I've found tomorrow.

I am especially fond of the changes to ruler designer.

Yeah, I couldn't decide what to call it so I just went with the initial idea behind the mod which was to remove the insane Requirements from Empires.

The Ruler designer thing was just a 'this really annoys me...' and I'd already edited it for my own files so I just threw it in :p

You'll want to re-do the mend the schism decision for Catholics as soon as possible; right now, its vanilla, so that's fairly shot. I think what you need to do is copy it entirely, then switch "catholic" and "orthodox" whenever they appear, and finally set it so that only one appears for each religion. Don't need to adjust the localization yet, but having the majority of my restored RE suddenly become Orthodox while my own religion becomes a heresy is a bit of a damper. Not entirely, of course, given that by the time I got there I had ridiculous retinue levels so it didn't hurt too much, but still.

Ah...did not predict that happening....I'll have a go at working out how to fix that but I only just got my head around events but I will try.

Edit: Okay, I've got a temporary fix till someone who actually understands events etc helps me out. I've removed the conversion and the Catholicism becoming a heresy. It effectively makes mending the schism moot as it doesn't really do anything except give you the nickname of the 'The Saint' and give you piety...that's about it...so yeah...temporary fix.

I will upload it tomorrow morning :)

Last edited:
Ah...did not predict that happening....I'll have a go at working out how to fix that but I only just got my head around events but I will try.

Edit: Okay, I've got a temporary fix till someone who actually understands events etc helps me out. I've removed the conversion and the Catholicism becoming a heresy. It effectively makes mending the schism moot as it doesn't really do anything except give you the nickname of the 'The Saint' and give you piety...that's about it...so yeah...temporary fix.

For the Catholics mending the great schism, you could make the event the other way around, i.e. everyone converts to Catholicism, and the Orthodoxy becomes a heresy.
Not sure if that's that easy to do, though...

For the Catholics mending the great schism, you could make the event the other way around, i.e. everyone converts to Catholicism, and the Orthodoxy becomes a heresy.
Not sure if that's that easy to do, though...

It's not terribly difficult. A bit of work, but there's no difficulty in just going through the event itself. Its just a matter of copying it so you have one catholic and one orthodox, then switching every instance of the word "catholic" with "orthodox" and vice versa. Do the same for the conversion event and the Great Schism decision. It should solve everything. I'd do it myself, but I couldn't actually test at the moment, and probably not for a while at least.

It's not terribly difficult. A bit of work, but there's no difficulty in just going through the event itself. Its just a matter of copying it so you have one catholic and one orthodox, then switching every instance of the word "catholic" with "orthodox" and vice versa. Do the same for the conversion event and the Great Schism decision. It should solve everything. I'd do it myself, but I couldn't actually test at the moment, and probably not for a while at least.

do you mean have seperate events set up for each religion?....I could probably have the "Mend the Great Schism" decision have only the one instance but the event that it fires I could add in religion specific 'Options' for that event that only pop up if you have the religion that then set off different but almost identical event trees geared towards each religion that have their option in...I may look into doing that this evening and see how complex it'd be but it wouldn't be added for some time as I'd want to do it for more than just Catholic and Orthodox as I know a few people look at doing the whole Legacy rome shebang with different religions and I'm personally interesting in doing it as a Hellenic Pagan.

Last edited:
Now that I think of it, the mechanic could also be used to create the possibility of mending the muslim schism between Sunni and Shia Islam.

Okay, so I lied earlier. I couldn't help but have a tinker and I think I've got it set up so that if the following religions mend the schism then the other christian faiths become their heresy (this only applies to catholic, Orthodox and miaphysite) and the conversion event should fire for their vassals or however CK2 works that.

Currently:
Orthodox - Tested
Catholic - Tested
Miaphysite - Tested
Hellenic_Pagan - Tested
Sunni
Shia
zoroastrian
Norse_pagan_reformed - Tested
Tengri_pagan_reformed
baltic_pagan_reformed
finnish_pagan_reformed
slavic_pagan_reformed
west_african_pagan_reformed
lollard - Tested

Will be added in the near future (in this order):
Any Christian/muslim/zoroastrian Heresy's that are requested....though with these, they will get the same thing as none Christian religions, they will not become the none-heresy while the others become heresys but they will fire the conversion event....mostly because I don't know if the coding will allow me to set a religion that's already coded to have a parent become the parent of others...

These edits have NOT been added to the downloadable version as they have not been tested. If you want to test them for me then shoot me a message and I will upload the latest file and give you the link for you to play with but till I know if this works I will not be releasing it mainstream.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm going to assume that the events are firing for all religions correctly as they're firing for all of those tested and I'm not going to test every single religion.

I'm not going to upload the update just yet though since I've been updating it practically ever two days or so since it went live so I want to let it settle for a while, and hopefully add even more things to the update to make it truly awesome. As always, Ideas are welcome.

I don't think I did....

Okay, thanks. I use a lot of edits on a personal one, including a free-RD thing (though, if you haven't already, you'll want to change son, daughter, and married costs to 1; the game won't accept the character if he has any of those marked but is still 16. It ups the minimum age, not just the starting age), and wanted to know if there was anything I needed to transfer over.

Last edited:
Ye probably knew this, but doesn't appear to be completely compatible with CK2+. The game runs without crashing (or seemed to, didn't actually test the schism-mending mechanic but it ran fine for a few years in testing just on its own) but most of west Africa and a province from central Italy have gone gone black. I'm not massively familiar with the guts of CK2 but the lack of crashing seems to indicate compatibility can't be more than a few tweaks to the affected counties away. :) A patch would be nice if/when ye've the time, rather liking the idea here.

Okay, thanks. I use a lot of edits on a personal one, including a free-RD thing (though, if you haven't already, you'll want to change son, daughter, and married costs to 1; the game won't accept the character if he has any of those marked but is still 16. It ups the minimum age, not just the starting age), and wanted to know if there was anything I needed to transfer over.

Yeah, I noticed that and dismissed it but I've fixed it for the next update

Ye probably knew this, but doesn't appear to be completely compatible with CK2+. The game runs without crashing (or seemed to, didn't actually test the schism-mending mechanic but it ran fine for a few years in testing just on its own) but most of west Africa and a province from central Italy have gone gone black. I'm not massively familiar with the guts of CK2 but the lack of crashing seems to indicate compatibility can't be more than a few tweaks to the affected counties away. :) A patch would be nice if/when ye've the time, rather liking the idea here.

I'm going to see what I can do but CK2 is a big mod and I can't promise there won't be quite a few things we clash on as I know for a fact Wiz has made changes to the LoR stuff.

Edit: Yeah, i've just looked at the ck2+ files and I don't even have the slightest idea how to even begin to make them compatible without removing a bunch of stuff from mine or his....and in the case of removing stuff from mine then it's basically my whole mod...as for a patch, I have no idea how to make such a thing....I'm not very well versed in the coding and I've just been learning as I made this.

I've sent Wiz a message asking for advice but I get a feeling there's no way to do it without making radical changes to his files as his is the bigger mod and making the changes to my files would basically render my mod moot.

Last edited: