• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kovax

Field Marshal
10 Badges
May 13, 2003
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Currently playing Dai Viet (circa 1570) in a pure vanilla game (DW with final "beta" patch), and I'm having a great deal of difficulty in maintaining Prestige (in order to inherit Wu, currently in a Personal Union). I receive 0 Prestige from claiming provinces during peace settlements, even though the peace screen shows several points for claiming each province (as displayed between their war score and Infamy costs, but NOT reflected by the totals below). Forcing the renunciation of cores or cancellation of treaties only gains a maximum of 1 Prestige point, and other war goals don't seem to raise it much or at all.

Basically, I took 2 provinces from a rival (one of them my core) with a Reconquest CB, spun off a one-province vassal from them, forced the removal of 3 core claims, made them break an alliance, and took 25 ducats, and my Prestige only went up by 1.3 points or something along those lines. This has been going on all game. Gains from battles seem normal, and I gained Prestige normally from colonizing a province (that takes a while with only 0.1 colonists per year from a coastal CoT), but winning wars gains next to nothing, other than Infamy.

I had switched to Imperial Government a few decades ago, and that made no difference. I don't seem to get the "Imperialism" CB that Western countries seem to get with it, and (understandably) don't have the Holy War or Crusade options of the Catholic countries. Then I Westernized (other than the Military reform, which is pending as soon as the "Resisting Western Influences" effect expires), and am still not getting the Prestige or war goals that I had in previous Western campaigns. Is this all due to Buddhism, are these only available to European countries, or is there some other requirement that I'm not aware of?

[ No rush for an answer, I just managed to complete the military reforms, so now I've got Asia pretty much to myself, unless Castille declares war on me from its colonies in Africa. I'm waiting to inherit Wu (13 provinces defected from MIng, locked in a PU with Dai Viet for the past half a century), while Ming imploded a century ago, lost "Kingdom of Heaven", and has never recovered from the endless revolts and annual bankruptcies. They're the next target, still fielding Asiatic spearmen at Land tech 4 in 1590, while I'm at tech 19 with Maurician Infantry. I think this campaign has already reached the "clubbing baby seals" stage.

The EU3 wiki is misleading about Prestige. The base decay rate is 5%, not 5 points, but it appears to round UP to the nearest 0.1 point of decay each month, so you can't stop it from decaying unless you have at least +5% in modifiers. That works differently than military Tradition, where a bonus and the decay percentage will cause Tradition to cancel out at some value, such as 20, so it will drift up or down toward that level. ]

[ Took another province in a war using a "Liberate" religious wargoal, only got 0.8 points of Prestige for it, but at least it was more than 0, and added another 1 point for making them cancel an alliance. Still no clue why Dai Nam gets massively reduced or 0 Prestige gains for taking provinces. ]

Last edited:
I think Imperialism CB works only as a Republican Dictatorship. I think I became an empire once as Netherlands and I don't remember that CB available, and I'm sure it isn't available for Muslim and Eastern (BYZ and Ottomans were my last campaigns).

Yes, sometimes the Prestige gain is pretty lame, but in this case seems especially low, I don't know the reason. I'll get a round as Tachibana and would like to Westernize asap.

Last edited:
The part that confuses me is that it clearly shows 1 or 2 points of Prestige for taking the province, right beside the war score cost and infamy cost to claim the province, but I don't actually GET that prestige in the totals below. The issue seems to occur regardless of war goal, but other war demands provide their listed prestige as normal; only the prestige for taking provinces seems to be wrong.

Maybe it's a Buddhist thing? It works normally while playing a Christian or Moslem country, although I haven't played a Moslem unciv yet, and in my current campaign, I've already put Dai Viet through the full Westernization process, so it's not strictly an "unciv" thing either.

Incidentally, Ming was resoundingly defeated and forced into a PU a little over 50 years after Wu, and I inherited all 30+ provinces of Ming after only around 20 years. Then a couple decades later (after taking Ceylon from Portugal, which required occupying their capital in Europe and several colonies in the new world) I took on Visayanagar(?), which had taken over the vast majority of India and significant swathes of land in the Middle East and Africa, and forced them into a PU as well. After well over 100 years in a Personal Union with Dai Viet, Wu (approximately 12 provinces) was finally inherited, and Visayanagar (another 30+ provinces) at the same time after less than a decade in a PU. I'm getting pretty close to abandoning the game for lack of challenge.

Last edited: