• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Probably commercial reasons. I just re-installed it last night. I had gotten it on humble bundle a while back and had installed it, but was daunted by the clan selection screen, lol. Having played a few hundred hours of CK2, it's much more understandable now. I love the theme and I'm looking forward to my campaign, even if it it's likely that I'll lose early since it's my first playthrough

I do wonder if the devs have theories on why it hasn't been as active.

I'm pretty sure Sengoku was basically a beta for CK2. They released it on it's own as a game, but it was pretty cheap IIRC and was never planned to be a block buster or even part of their regular game roster. That proved true and is why it only got middling support from the devs before they were pulled off for other projects.

Reactions:
I feel it's kind of a shame. The period is covered in EU4, though of course not in the detail that you could have in a dedicated game. There's a mod (though development seems to have stalled recently) for CK2 that looks pretty good. I wish Paradox makes a Sengoku 2 that really gets gritty while also distancing itself more from CK2 gameplay. Would be great if we could have a genuine challenger to Shogun 2 in terms of Warring States Era of Japan grand strategy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have been thinking about trying to build a mod for sengoku, particularly to add asymmetries between regions and maybe more unit types / resources / buildings?

I haven't played that much, but I feel is a very snowball game, all regions are the same (if improved to the same lvl), so whoever has more regions will almost for sure outscale you hard.

What I like the most about the game is that the politics are CK-like, but much simpler and easier to understand.

I'm just wondering if there are active modders working on this now?

Cheers,

Sengoku does have fairly mixed reviews on Steam and even at its modest price, I haven't gotten around to buying it even during sales. There's just no buzz surrounding it. Even the forum is a ghost town.

Given that I have CKII and EUIV (and also Shogun 2), it felt like Sengoku's shelf life would be low compared to other games Paradox had invested greater time in.

Sengoku does have fairly mixed reviews on Steam and even at its modest price, I haven't gotten around to buying it even during sales. There's just no buzz surrounding it. Even the forum is a ghost town.

Given that I have CKII and EUIV (and also Shogun 2), it felt like Sengoku's shelf life would be low compared to other games Paradox had invested greater time in.

I wont go to any great length to try to convince you that it's worth the purchase, but it is in fact one of my favourite strategy games ever, the artwork, menus and music are a brilliant fit, and yes, it is a simpler CK2, but it is a very charming game. For those who find CK2 too daunting, Sengoku is a great stepping stone to work your way in. I just love this game, and wish it got Linux support so I could play it on my coding laptop.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Because it didn't sell enough and didn't build a strong community. The same fate befell March of the Eagles. Post-launch support requires a stable income, but PDS decided that Sengoku would not bring it.

With that said, I do think that they should have given it an add-on or two. Sengoku had a lot of potential and there is a chance that later Sengoku's sales would rise if add-ons made it better.

Reactions:
I own Sengoku but since I mostly played EU4 before I was confused by this game alot.
However the Little I saw before crawling back into my safe space in EU4 was great and I will definitely Play it again once I got more understanding out of CK2

Reactions:
Any hope for updates on this game?

After 6 years? No, like March of the Eagles, this game has been discontinued due to low popularity.

I have been thinking about trying to build a mod for sengoku, particularly to add asymmetries between regions and maybe more unit types / resources / buildings?

I haven't played that much, but I feel is a very snowball game, all regions are the same (if improved to the same lvl), so whoever has more regions will almost for sure outscale you hard.

What I like the most about the game is that the politics are CK-like, but much simpler and easier to understand.

I'm just wondering if there are active modders working on this now?

Cheers,

I just wanted to say how much I agree. I am very interested in the period and I love CK-style games, but when I was playing Sengoku I always felt it was 100% snowball - whoever had more soldiers, won and gobbled up the enemy with no problem. Which is why I quit it. Installing it now, I'll see whether I still feel the same.

It was too shallow compared to the likes of CK II, which completely overshadowed it, and the release of Shogun 2 removed any prospect for attention to it.

It was released, and failed, months before CK2, so CK2 had nothing to do with its commercial failure.
Shogun 2 would be a more likely source of its troubles, that's true. Though other PDS games beat TW games in depth, Sengoku was actually much shallower than Shogun 2.

Hi , new user, (newbies are such a drag but we all wore diapers once). I heard on a YouTube vid that there was a manual for Sengoku. 94 pages they said. Is there such a beast? If so, how do I go about accessing it. And like comments here, have been disappointed to find the game pretty much unsupported. Still it looks great and reviews say its difficult but not as hard as others so maybe I have a snowballs chance of learning it and thence enjoying it. PS: I'm Aussie living and doing business in Thailand. Cheers all.

Hi , new user, (newbies are such a drag but we all wore diapers once). I heard on a YouTube vid that there was a manual for Sengoku. 94 pages they said. Is there such a beast? If so, how do I go about accessing it. And like comments here, have been disappointed to find the game pretty much unsupported. Still it looks great and reviews say its difficult but not as hard as others so maybe I have a snowballs chance of learning it and thence enjoying it. PS: I'm Aussie living and doing business in Thailand. Cheers all.
You can find it on the Steam store page http://store.steampowered.com/app/73210/Sengoku/
http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com...X8105US Sengoku_Onlinemanual.pdf?t=1447354688