• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, once ceasefire is made, it will either break by around May 1921 (or rather 1260 days from the date of revolution, whenever that is) or whenever Whites are nearly beaten, whichever happens first. In other words, Poland will give the Reds more than enough time to crush their internal opponents, but their patience is not infinite and if the Soviets are taking too long, the ceasefire will eventually end regardless of how the RCW is going.
That seems like a really good event. I'm impressed at how well you can get the general ebb and flow of the civil war just through some well designed events.

This concludes the "bad news" section of this update. More than Makhno's betrayal or anything else, that Polish-Soviet non-aggression pact (really let's just call it "let's divide up Ukraine among ourselves pact") has really been wrecking me.
That is really brutal, especially since every province you take from the Whites just lengthens your front with the Reds. I was pretty surprised how quickly the Whites collapsed after the non-aggression pact,but that's pretty historical, especially with Makhno cutting their supplies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
J0DINoU.png

Brief overview of some other fronts. In the north, the reds took Archangelsk and seem pretty well positioned to march all the way to Murmansk.

RKqnQE7.png

In the East, they have established a link with Central Asia and are inching closer to Omsk, the official seat of the Russian anti-Bolshevik government.

0BqB8dA.png

Southern Daghestan is apparently defended by a very colorful coalition of Denikin's opponents. There is Imam Gotinsky's personal regiment, there is a Bolshevik "Red Sharia" Division, the Chechen insurgents, Daghestani Sheikh Uzun-Haji who is primarily known for his impressive war crime record, and uhh.... Armenian Dashnak militia under control of Soviet Azerbaijan? Well then...

VbVsEns.png

Speaking of, a pro-Soviet Chechen regiment just took Kiev, nice. Meanwhile the White forces in Ukraine have completely and utterly collapsed.

bfI7KLp.png

Any one of my attempts to advance even a little bit forward is immediately met with an overwhelming Soviet counter-attack. It is around this point that I finally realize that the goals that I initially set out for this game are basically unachievable. But I still intend to survive in one form or another. Ukraine is not yet dead.

r8fTb81.png

Oh umm.. Hello, my old "friend". So nice to see you, again.

ybv5prq.png

August 29th, I'm forced to finally evacuate Mozyr. This was my stronghold from the very beginning of the war in 1917, which I've repeatedly made use of as a staging point for returning to central Ukraine.

ghQU4wm.png

I'm sitting in my bunker here, stalling for time and hoping that the alliance between my Western and Eastern enemies breaks apart, or maybe my scientists suddenly invent a super weapon, or some other miracle happens allowing me to somehow turn the tide. Waiting, and waiting, and no such miracle happens. Poland and Soviet Russia seem determined to force my surrender first, before returning to their usual squabbles with each other. In reality the trigger conditions for the Soviet-Polish ceasefire to end are actually pretty close, the Soviets only have a few more provinces to take from the Whites before the conditions should be met. Though I doubt that it would actually do me much good even if it was to happen at this point, but still, it would be interesting to see whether or not there is anything I can make of that.

lXX50bC.png

After a joint Polish-Soviet attack on Sarny, I'm forced to evacuate Sarny as well. Everything will be all right though, when Steiner attacks with his reserve troops, he will turn everything around and forever change the course of history.

B6q3leL.png

Looks like Nowy Sacz peacefully changed hands and is now Polish, seeing as the Whites have basically collapsed and Denikin was just replaced with Wrangel who is much more willing to accommodate Polish interests.

Meanwhile, Pilsudski launches a huge attack on Lutsk from three sides, and on Lviv as well. Oh boy. I have to abandon Rowne and nearly lose Tarnopol as well. So yeah, uhmm, where is that Steiner guy with his troops, he should have started his attack by now, right? What? He had no troops? You've got to be kidding me. Well, no matter. There is Wenck, I hear he is an excellent fellow. Right after he kicks the Poles all the way to Warsaw, he is going to come in with his army from Lutsk and together with the troops from Lviv they will deliver the Reds their final blow. You will see gentlemen, Wenck will come.

0Maujaa.png

Dear Supreme Ataman, no sir, Wenck will not come. Sir, there is no Wenck. Germany? No sir, you are the Supreme Ataman of Ukraine, sir. You are drunk, sir. The Capital of West Ukraine is under an overwhelming Soviet attack and our army is at the verge of total destruction. We must surrender now, sir.

IhL88Nt.png

And thus, it is done. I am no longer at war with Poland. Galicia still is though.

qwnf1Xe.png

p9ijAFx.jpg

*Insert Sad Petliura noises*

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
>That seems like a really good event. I'm impressed at how well you can get the general ebb and flow of the civil war just through some well designed events.

Thank you! Though of course, I think there is a lot of room for improvement there, even within the confines of the game, but at this point, yeah I couldn't think of anything better without breaking everything.

>I was pretty surprised how quickly the Whites collapsed after the non-aggression pact,but that's pretty historical, especially with Makhno cutting their supplies

It's still too slow actually, because the collapse of the White armies in real life was so incredibly rapid that it's basically impossible to properly model that in the game without introducing completely ridiculous events.

In late October 1919, South Russia was at its zenith, controlled a huge chunk of territory and Denikin's armies were rapidly advancing on to Moscow.
By late March 1920, Denikin lost EVERYTHING except the Crimean peninsula.

So over these 5 winter months, the Soviets not just stopped Denikin's advance but completely destroyed him, they ALSO conquered practically all of Siberia and Central Asia in the meantime. Understanding how that was possible is difficult enough, making it happen in the game... I mean I could just introduce deterministic events that break or destroy entire white armies for no specific reason, but that would just make it very unfun to play as them. Right now, even if the Reds win the war in the game, they typically take at least a year longer to do so than they did historically.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thank you! Though of course, I think there is a lot of room for improvement there, even within the confines of the game, but at this point, yeah I couldn't think of anything better without breaking everything.
As we're getting into the technicality of the game/mod, how do you actually prevent the many tags around from being annexed when they no longer control any VP's like Soviet Ukraine and you yourself just now? How do you even create a country like the Czechoslovak Legion that, as far as I had seen, owned no provinces? Speaking of Ukraine owning no provinces anymore, are you going to continue the AAR, I'd like to see this war fought out till the end, maybe a small bit of redemption for Ukraine...
0BqB8dA.png

Southern Daghestan is apparently defended by a very colorful coalition of Denikin's opponents. There is Imam Gotinsky's personal regiment, there is a Bolshevik "Red Sharia" Division, the Chechen insurgents, Daghestani Sheikh Uzun-Haji who is primarily known for his impressive war crime record, and uhh.... Armenian Dashnak militia under control of Soviet Azerbaijan? Well then...
A true one-struggle moment, if only Ukraine had been this united...
r8fTb81.png

Oh umm.. Hello, my old "friend". So nice to see you, again.
What you should have done is propose a ceasefire to the Soviets during which you can hang Makhno, together

• 3Like
Reactions:
As we're getting into the technicality of the game/mod, how do you actually prevent the many tags around from being annexed when they no longer control any VP's like Soviet Ukraine and you yourself just now?
Offmap provinces, that's the only way that I know of. Unfortunately, there is only a limited amount of those available in the game, around 10, so you can only get select countries to behave this way.
I really wish that the offmap vp command would force the same behavior, but alas it does not, making that command fairly useless.

Speaking of Ukraine owning no provinces anymore, are you going to continue the AAR, I'd like to see this war fought out till the end, maybe a small bit of redemption for Ukraine...
Haha don't worry I'm definitely planning to continue, this isn't the end just yet.

What you should have done is propose a ceasefire to the Soviets during which you can hang Makhno, together
Lol kind of doubt the Soviets would accept any ceasefire with me under these circumstances XD

downfall.png

General, if you were me, would you make peace with yourself?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Offmap provinces, that's the only way that I know of. Unfortunately, there is only a limited amount of those available in the game, around 10, so you can only get select countries to behave this way.
This almost makes it sound as if they are map dependent, but I'd wager it's hard-coded and thus unable to be changed
downfall.png

General, if you were me, would you make peace with yourself?
No, because those men next to you aren't actual generals, they're just playing dress up and you're hiding the last one in the closet over there

It's still too slow actually, because the collapse of the White armies in real life was so incredibly rapid that it's basically impossible to properly model that in the game without introducing completely ridiculous events.
That is a good point. I suspect it's because the war didn't really have coherent front lines, so when the Whites' best army got destroyed they collapsed. I don't know if you've ever tried it, but AGEOD's Revolution Under Siege really made that clear to me. HOI can't really model that style of warfare, but I think your mod has a satisfying war still.

Ny50TpH.png

Although i've surrendered to Poland, I'm still at war with the Soviets, so without the fear of a Polish attack on my rear.. Nothing is stopping me from deploying all my mobile reserves to Tarnopol to try to hold off the Soviet attack on it. Meanwhile, after nearly 2 years of resistance, Lviv is finally lost to Poland. Well, the treaty I've signed with Poland already accepted the loss of entire Galicia, this is just the practical realization of that treaty, so to speak.

ZfNFjbk.png

A rather unique situation takes place in Tarnopol. As you can see, it is under attack from both sides. The defense against both attacks is led by the same general, but the Soviet attack is resisted by 18 divisions while the Polish attack is resisted by only 5. This is because out of the 18 total Ukrainian divisions in Tarnopol, only 5 are UGA divisions and the rest are UPA, and the UPA is not at war with Poland so they are not participating in that battle. I've never seen something like that in the game before and i'm kind of surprised that it can handle it at all, even if just barely and with frequent glitches.

Either way, it is clear that Tarnopol will fall.

Mi0cash.png

And thus, it is time for us to part ways. I make sure to retreat the UPA army north into Poland, while UGA obviously cannot retreat into Poland so it retreats south to Staninslawow instead. Goodbye, my friends.

j5NJMXD.png

Despite my best efforts, Tarnopol is taken by the Soviets and the UGA/WUPR severed all ties with me so i no longer have control over them.

NPiybqK.png

WUPR turns into.... Soviet Galicia. "Soviet Galicia", you've got to be kidding me, what a bunch of losers. (Says Petliura while hanging out in Warsaw in his new capacity as a Polish vassal)
There is a temporary non-aggression pact between us but given that Soviet Galicia immeidately sends its entire army as expeditionary force to Soviet Russia, the non-aggression pact is essentially meaningless.

DRKWrW6.png

Meanwhile, I notice that first skirmishes started to take place between the Polish and Soviet armies. The ceasefire is finally over.

bzXMfXS.png

Together with the Polish units UPA launches an assault aimed at recovering Tarnopol. And among the Soviet defenders we run into... UGA. Or what used to be UGA anyway. So much for our "non-aggression pact".
It is my understanding that in reality not very many battles took place between the former UGA (renamed and restyled by the Soviets to "Red Ukrainian Galician Army") and the advancing Polish/UPA forces. The reason why is because the UGA was relatively decimated and was far from a fearsome force it once was, and the Soviets considered them both unreliable and relatively useless in battle, so they largely kept the former UGA away from the frontlines. Some former UGA units must have participated in combat though, and some even defected to join the advancing Polish side. Either way, the "Red Ukrainian Galician Army" didnt last very long as a Soviet ally either - the Soviets attempted to enforce iron discipline and ideological confirmity within the army, including persecution of priests and other "class enemies", which was of course met with resistance by the Galicians that ended in violent shootouts and ultimately dissolution of UGA by the Soviet government. Most of the officers were shot and the surviving Galicians were joined to other Red Ukrainian units. And that was the end of UGA's story.

obCRxbA.png

Russia makes peace with Finland and the Baltics. Poland will fight, although to be quite honest, I am not quite sure why. Rather, it is not so much that I am unsure why Poland would chose to fight, the timing is what's really weird to me, historically Poland chose to launch its offensive in April 1920. Sure, maybe Pilsudski was unhappy with the Polish eastern frontier at the time and wanted to try his luck at a better deal, or maybe he just felt that the Soviets were insincere in their peace offers and war was inevitable either way, but regardless of his reasons, why did he wait all the way until april 1920 to launch his offensive? At this point, all the Whites were already either crushed or nearly crushed and the civil war was effectively over, so of course once Poland attacked, the Soviets brought their full might to bear against them and the rest is history. As a result of Pilsudski's adventure, Poland barely survived as an independent state, and even then, the frontier they got as a result of the Peace of Riga was still worse than the one they would have probably gotten if they didn't fight at all. Before the offensive, Poland controlled Minsk, Polotsk, Mozyr, and many other places which it would end up losing, and Lenin expressed his willingness to recognize the existing borders before the offensive started. Now had Pilsudski launched his offensive at least a couple of months earlier... things might have gone differently.

But in this game, i seem to be doomed more or less to repeat the course of history, except with what seems to be roughly a half a year delay (October instead of April).

ebTscSF.png

Still the situation is a little better than it was historically when Poland launched its offensive. Northern Russia is on the verge of collapse, but not dead quite yet.

XETp9Nl.png

Not a whole lot is left of Southern Russia either.

sFFz7X4.png

A significant Soviet force is staring at Omsk in Siberia but hasn't launched an attack yet.

It is under these circumstances that we will try our luck at defeating the Soviets, although, to be quite honest, my hopes here aren't very high.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
obCRxbA.png

Russia makes peace with Finland and the Baltics. Poland will fight, although to be quite honest, I am not quite sure why. Rather, it is not so much that I am unsure why Poland would chose to fight, the timing is what's really weird to me, historically Poland chose to launch its offensive in April 1920. Sure, maybe Pilsudski was unhappy with the Polish eastern frontier at the time and wanted to try his luck at a better deal, or maybe he just felt that the Soviets were insincere in their peace offers and war was inevitable either way, but regardless of his reasons, why did he wait all the way until april 1920 to launch his offensive? At this point, all the Whites were already either crushed or nearly crushed and the civil war was effectively over, so of course once Poland attacked, the Soviets brought their full might to bear against them and the rest is history. As a result of Pilsudski's adventure, Poland barely survived as an independent state, and even then, the frontier they got as a result of the Peace of Riga was still worse than the one they would have probably gotten if they didn't fight at all. Before the offensive, Poland controlled Minsk, Polotsk, Mozyr, and many other places which it would end up losing, and Lenin expressed his willingness to recognize the existing borders before the offensive started. Now had Pilsudski launched his offensive at least a couple of months earlier... things might have gone differently.

But in this game, i seem to be doomed more or less to repeat the course of history, except with what seems to be roughly a half a year delay (October instead of April).
The Polish position is somewhat worse than it was IRL and the Red were solidly in Eastern Galicia before the resumption of hostilities here (looking at you Tarnopol). What are the conditions for Polish victory in this case? Also, how is the border between Poland and Lithuania going to be resolved, or is this something to be reserved for the post Polish-Soviet war settlement?

>I don't know if you've ever tried it, but AGEOD's Revolution Under Siege really made that clear to me. HOI can't really model that style of warfare, but I think your mod has a satisfying war still.

No haven't tried it, but yeah HOI style warfare is pretty limited - nothing ever really gets destroyed unless specifically encircled.

>This almost makes it sound as if they are map dependent, but I'd wager it's hard-coded and thus unable to be changed

Yeah the amount of offmap provinces in DH is hardcoded and cannot be changed as far as i know, I think I once tried to see what will happen if I add more, and it didn't go well. So I can only pick which countries to assign them to.

>Also, how is the border between Poland and Lithuania going to be resolved, or is this something to be reserved for the post Polish-Soviet war settlement?

Hehe it was supposed to be resolved already but then some unexpected crap happened with province changes left and right and it confused everything. Technically, in terms of province ownership, the border is already correct. However, Poland still controls certain Lithuanian provinces that it doesn't own. I don't have an event to force a resolution to that yet, although oftentimes things like that somehow resolve themselves over time. (i.e. game somehow realizes "wait you two aren't actually at war, so why do you control provinces that you don't own??" and transfers them back).

>What are the conditions for Polish victory in this case?

Well, that depends on what you define as victory i guess XD. Aside from the Peace of Riga, there is an event currently called "End of The Polish-Soviet war - Soviet defeat" which will grant Poland the frontiers of 1772. Will it grant me anything though? No not really lol. So either way i'm pretty screwed, though Poland with 1772 frontiers does look pretty sexy. But anyway, here are the conditions:

Code:
decision = {
        war = { country = POL }
        NOT = { non_aggression = { country = POL country = SOV } }
    }
    decision_trigger = {
    }
    trigger = {
        war = { country = POL }
        NOT = { non_aggression = { country = POL country = SOV } }
        OR = {
            AND = {
                dissent = 35
                region = { region = "Poland" country = -2 data = 1 value = 70 }
            }
            AND = {
                dissent = 25
                region = { region = "Poland" country = -2 data = 1 value = 80 }
                OR = {
                    region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 10 }
                    region = { region = "Western Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 10 }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 10 } }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Western Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 10 } }
                }
            }
            AND = {
                dissent = 20
                OR = {
                    region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 25 }
                    region = { region = "Western Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 25 }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 25 } }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Western Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 25 } }
                }
            }
            AND = {
                dissent = 15
                OR = {
                    region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 40 }
                    region = { region = "Western Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 40 }
                    region = { region = "Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 5 }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 40 } }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Western Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 40 } }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 5 } }
                }
            }
            AND = {
                dissent = 10
                OR = {
                    region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 50 }
                    region = { region = "Western Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 50 }
                    region = { region = "Russia" country = POL data = 1 value = 10 }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Southern Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 50 } }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Western Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 50 } }
                    AND = {    alliance = { country = POL country = UKR } region = { region = "Russia" country = UKR data = 1 value = 10 } }
                }
            }
        }
    }

action = {
        name = "We give up!"
    }

It's kind of similar to what I would have had to face if I was fighting the Soviets on my own. We either have to occupy huge chunks of western/southern russia, which isn't very realistic, or we have to exhaust the soviets until their dissent becomes unbearable, which is slightly more realistic but still not very likely given their military superiority.

This is what I'll get for "winning":
Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_in_1772.PNG

Actually to be more precise... In order to fully restore the 1772 frontiers, immediately after making peace with the Soviets, Poland will launch an invasion of Lithuania to reclaim it, which will also draw in Sweden as well, and essentially it will fight a war against the Baltic+Swedish alliance. If they win, they get the 1772 borders. If they lose, they lose all their gains basically.

Here's a screenshot from an alternative dimension where that war does not go well for the Poles and here is exhausted Poland trying to fight off the Swedish alliance and resurgent Ukraine after the Soviets bailed out of the war:
BQF6xbp.png

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Missed some updates but dang, I must also say, this is impressive; the amount of modding you made into this scenario is fantastic! The amount of detail is something that really caught my attention, you seem quite prepared on the Russian Civil War; that's amazing. :p

I got curious about what you mentioned, regarding offmap provinces, could you point me where I can find those? They sound pretty useful for some ongoing projects I have in mind, :p , you then use those offmap provinces to create the nations at revolt.txt as any other country?
Here's a screenshot from an alternative dimension where that war does not go well for the Poles and here is exhausted Poland trying to fight off the Swedish alliance and resurgent Ukraine after the Soviets bailed out of the war:
I'm curious, if this happened, you also had specific outcomes for Poland in mind? :p
Anyways, will try to hurry and catch up. :)
Nice work you have here ^^

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hehe it was supposed to be resolved already but then some unexpected crap happened with province changes left and right and it confused everything. Technically, in terms of province ownership, the border is already correct. However, Poland still controls certain Lithuanian provinces that it doesn't own. I don't have an event to force a resolution to that yet, although oftentimes things like that somehow resolve themselves over time. (i.e. game somehow realizes "wait you two aren't actually at war, so why do you control provinces that you don't own??" and transfers them back).
Oh yeah, I know that, the most famous example I can think of the the UoB invading German Morocco in Kaiserreich and then National France taking the provinces from the UoB whilst they are still owned by Germany. It's more that I also know that there were some shenannigans between Poland and Lithuania during the RCW over Vilnius, so maybe this was just WAD
Actually to be more precise... In order to fully restore the 1772 frontiers, immediately after making peace with the Soviets, Poland will launch an invasion of Lithuania to reclaim it, which will also draw in Sweden as well, and essentially it will fight a war against the Baltic+Swedish alliance. If they win, they get the 1772 borders. If they lose, they lose all their gains basically.
Ah, ok, but why is Sweden dragged into this war?

• 2Like
Reactions:
X2ehTKe.png

First, the offensive started with some stroke of luck. The Soviet army, for unclear reasons, had basically disappeared from the frontlines. I tried to investigate why that happened and from what I could tell, this has to do with the AI not being very well designed to deal with non-aggression pacts, to say the least. Basically, at the time when I surrendered to Poland and when Galicia surrendered to the Soviets, Poland still had a non-aggression pact with the Reds. As a consequence, for a brief moment at least, the Soviet AI concluded that it had no enemies and no threats at all in the west, and started the process of withdrawing all troops. The non-aggression pact ended in a few days but the Soviet troops were already in the process of withdrawal or redeployment. Now they appear to be urgently sending troops back to the front, but yeah, that was some bizarre AI behavior that I'm not sure how to fix. But hey you know what, I'll take it. My situation is bad enough that I need any help I can get. Let's just pretend that the Soviet high command made a strategic mistake - mistakes happen after all. They were fooled by the superior Polish intelligence to believe that Poland had no intention to attack now. And then bam! Something like that...

Btw, I got 2 free infantry divisions - 1 representing Ukrainian soldiers freed from the Polish POW camps, and one representing a UGA division that defected to me when UGA switched to Red. However, on the flip side, since I am now a puppet again, my dissent is shooting way up, as you can tell, apparently my soldiers are not all too eager to fight for Greater Poland (who knew!), and also due to me not having any territory to speak of there is an event that basically limits the size of the army that i can have, so I can't have more than 20 divisions total. If i go over, the game will start randomly disbanding some of my divisions for me and giving me even more additional problems to deal with, so in order to accommodate these two new Inf divisions that I got, i had to disband some garrison divisions in Lutsk. I still have 6 garrisons though, I'll try to pull them up to the frontline once i've actually freed some territory and have somewhat of a defensible frontier again.

Oh yeah and apparently the only Red units in Ukraine who are trying to stop my offensive towards Kiev are the Galicians, of course... *facepalm*
What a fratricidal war, truly. At least the Galicians are about as demoralized by their current state of affairs as my units are, so in terms of battle effectiveness, we are about even lol.

6pw8Ths.png

The Soviets lose some territory but are surprisingly quick in bringing their troops back to the frontline. Just as quickly as they disappeared, they suddenly reappear again and start blocking my advances.

1Zox032.png

In the north, the Poles took Polotsk but immediately ran into severe Soviet resistance and will probably lose it very soon.

DAWJWCU.png

The Soviets are moving in to reinforce Kiev but I have a chance to get there first. Come on guys, get it quick!

kcFNSVS.png

Kiev is mine again, yay! Surely everything will be all right now! *stares at the continues stream of Soviet reinforcements heading my way*
I've redeployed my garrison divisions to Korosten to guard that direction. The Poles, in the meantime, have made basically no progress in taking either Vinnitsa, or even worse, Luban, where a single Soviet division entrenched itself in the nasty marshes and delayed the Polish advance long enough that now Soviet reinforcements are pouring in and making its capture increasingly unlikely.

ZSJfU03.png

Oh great now there are 5 Soviet divisions in Luban, where on earth did they come from? I didn't even see them come in, they must have used strategic redeployment to get there. Well, that direction is toast. But maybe... Maybe I can still pull something off in the southern direction which still seems to be relatively weak all things considered and where I have a numeric advantage.

ueNXLWr.png

Soviets started a counter-attack in the north, at Polotsk and at Bobruisk (which Poles just recently captured as well).

4KICXuX.png

My numerical advantage apparently means very little given my horrible dissent levels plus frozen ground penalty, and the Soviets very quickly pulled up reinforcements and neutralized most of my numeric advantage anyway. When I started the attack there were 3 divisions defending, before long there were 5, then 7, then 9, and then the offensive had to be called off.

q1MbldJ.png

Seeing as I'm clearly incapable of accomplishing anything on my own, I try to help the Poles take Vinnitsa already which they've struggled with for the past few weeks. Despite a local breakthrough, ultimately that attack goes nowhere as well and the Soviets hold Vinnitsa.

Well, our offensive started around mid October, right? By December 1st, that is in just about a month and a half, it can be pretty safely said that our offensive "ran out of steam" as they would say. Honestly can't say I expected much else. Well, let's see how long we can at least hold on to these gains.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Missed some updates but dang, I must also say, this is impressive; the amount of modding you made into this scenario is fantastic! The amount of detail is something that really caught my attention, you seem quite prepared on the Russian Civil War; that's amazing.

Thank you! Though trust me, about 90% of the actual detail of the RCW is still missing, the war was insanely convoluted and complex. I just tried to capture the main parts that would make the game kind of fun to play as the main factions, in my opinion. Just to give you one example, in June 1919 there was supposed to be a pretty serious attempt at Petliura's life, organized supposedly by... Colonel Bolbochan, no less. I still don't even have that in the game and colonel Bolbochan is still happily leading my troops. XD

I'm curious, if this happened, you also had specific outcomes for Poland in mind?

It was part of that replay I was doing as Ukraine, trying to correct the mistakes that I've made in this AAR and secure a better future for the Ukrainian people. As you can tell, after a very long and exhausting struggle, I eventually got my way against both the Poles and the Soviets ;)

It's more that I also know that there were some shenannigans between Poland and Lithuania during the RCW over Vilnius, so maybe this was just WAD

Nah this is definitely not WAD... I mean if Poland were to win the war against the Soviets (it won't lol), then it will invade Lithuania and the problem will fix itself that way. But otherwise I'm not sure if the problem will eventually fix itself or not.

Ah, ok, but why is Sweden dragged into this war?

Honestly, since this is an alt-history path, i was kind of just having fun with it, although I don't think it's completely far-fetched either. After all, if Poland had the means and the will to really go all-in on the Lithuanian question and try to install a puppet government, who would try to stop them? It's unlikely that either the French or British would lift a finger to punish Poland, both of them were exhausted from WW1 and still had more than enough unsolved problems to deal with - Ireland, Balkans, Turkey, Middle East, Afghanistan, Africa, Russia of course, etc. I don't think they'd be eager to add Poland to their list of problems, least of all the French who were actually counting on a strong Poland as a counterweight to Germany. I wouldn't even be surprised if the French actually supported the Polish move and gave a green light to resurrect the Commonwealth, and the British certainly wouldn't act in opposition to France on this issue. So then, who would protect little Lithuania (and Latvia) from Polish domination? I think Sweden might have the means and the will to do just that. Sweden is Poland's traditional enemy, and I don't think it would look very kindly at all to Polish attempts to re-establish itself as the preeminent power in Central Europe and to dominate the Baltic space in particular (as it impacts the Swedish trade interests). In offering its protection to the Baltic states, Sweden may also see an opportunity to extend its own political and economic influence in the region as well, as you can imagine in case of quick victory, there would be plenty of financial and other types of benefits that Sweden could reap from its victory there. And unlike all the others, Sweden isn't exhausted from a 4-year total war and a myriad of ongoing global problems to deal with, so its hands are free.

But mostly it's just fun to imagine Sweden trying to repeat the Deluge or resurrect the Union of Kėdainiai. And I wouldn't want the Polish conquest of Lithuania in the game to be a walk in the park as it would be otherwise, that's just not fun, i want to give them a challenge.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
They sound pretty useful for some ongoing projects I have in mind, :p , you then use those offmap provinces to create the nations at revolt.txt as any other country?
Almost forgot about this question. You can find these guys mostly towards the bottom of the list in Province.csv file in map/Map_1. These are the main ones you can play around with:
Code:
2757;PROV2757;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2758;PROV2758;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2759;PROV2759;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2760;PROV2760;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2761;PROV2761;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2762;PROV2762;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2763;PROV2763;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2764;PROV2764;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2765;PROV2765;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2766;PROV2766;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2767;PROV2767;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2768;PROV2768;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2769;PROV2769;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;-1;-1;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X

But I found a few more earlier on in the list which aren't on the map either, so you can use those as well:
Code:
1012;PROV1012;Lake;Lake;;Temperate;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;0;0;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
1159;PROV1159;Lake;Lake;;Subarctic;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;0;0;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X
2464;PROV2464;Lake;Lake;;Mediterranean;Ocean;;;100;;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;;;;;;;;;;;0;0;-1;-1;;;;;;;;X

All you need to do is give them at least 1 vp, and assign them to a country of your choice. You can also give them specific "locations" on the map and even connections to existing map provinces through adj-defs.csv file. One other thing to keep in mind is that like with any province, regardless whether it's on the map or off the map, revolts can happen there. If a revolt happens and there is no defense against it, it will cancel out that 1 vp that is supposed to prevent the country from being annexed, and thus it will become annexable again. Something that I had to discover the hard way while playing the game lol.

Honestly, since this is an alt-history path, i was kind of just having fun with it, although I don't think it's completely far-fetched either. After all, if Poland had the means and the will to really go all-in on the Lithuanian question and try to install a puppet government, who would try to stop them? It's unlikely that either the French or British would lift a finger to punish Poland, both of them were exhausted from WW1 and still had more than enough unsolved problems to deal with - Ireland, Balkans, Turkey, Middle East, Afghanistan, Africa, Russia of course, etc. I don't think they'd be eager to add Poland to their list of problems, least of all the French who were actually counting on a strong Poland as a counterweight to Germany. I wouldn't even be surprised if the French actually supported the Polish move and gave a green light to resurrect the Commonwealth, and the British certainly wouldn't act in opposition to France on this issue.
Oh yeah, certainly, Poland would make the move on Lithuania if it was able to. And I also do agree that yes, France would be very much for a strong Polish state. Polish Lithuania (with included Memel) would give Poland a second route to the sea, making Danzig less vital for being Poland's one and only port to the rest of the world (Gdynia still needing to be constructed). Also, one must consider Soviet Russia as still a German pawn. It was Germany that sent the agitator Lenin back to Russia, and look where that got us! The 1920'ies had plenty of warm relations between Berlin and Moscow, making it that the western powers (especially France because Perfidious Albion could just again hide behind her navy) would be even more interested in a strong Poland.
So then, who would protect little Lithuania (and Latvia) from Polish domination? I think Sweden might have the means and the will to do just that. Sweden is Poland's traditional enemy, and I don't think it would look very kindly at all to Polish attempts to re-establish itself as the preeminent power in Central Europe and to dominate the Baltic space in particular (as it impacts the Swedish trade interests). In offering its protection to the Baltic states, Sweden may also see an opportunity to extend its own political and economic influence in the region as well, as you can imagine in case of quick victory, there would be plenty of financial and other types of benefits that Sweden could reap from its victory there. And unlike all the others, Sweden isn't exhausted from a 4-year total war and a myriad of ongoing global problems to deal with, so its hands are free.

But mostly it's just fun to imagine Sweden trying to repeat the Deluge or resurrect the Union of Kėdainiai. And I wouldn't want the Polish conquest of Lithuania in the game to be a walk in the park as it would be otherwise, that's just not fun, i want to give them a challenge.
Oh yeah, I kinda figured that immediately, that Swedish intervention is mostly there to parallel the Deluge (or any Swedish invasion of Poland really, the one of Charles XIII comes to mind too). And gameplay is also a very justified reason. I just don't quite know what kind of stake Sweden had in the Russian Civil War. I do know they supported Finland in the Winter War with equipment and volunteers, but not much more.
1Zox032.png

In the north, the Poles took Polotsk but immediately ran into severe Soviet resistance and will probably lose it very soon.
Whilst it's not present in later screenshots, why are you at war with Estonia right here? Also, do you have fow turned off, since you normally shouldn't be able to see enemy units as far away as Moscow

• 2Like
Reactions:
Oh yeah, I kinda figured that immediately, that Swedish intervention is mostly there to parallel the Deluge (or any Swedish invasion of Poland really, the one of Charles XIII comes to mind too).

96IK2fu.png

Can't help it, whenever I see Sweden do something like that, I immediately have "Lion From the North" start playing in my head. XD
Don't worry though most of the time Poland still ultimately wins, but they are pretty evenly matched which makes it an interesting contest to watch at least.

Whilst it's not present in later screenshots, why are you at war with Estonia right here?

You know, I have no idea. I haven't actually noticed it in the game at all, but now that you mention it, something weird must have happened at least briefly, would have to go through the game log to try to figure out the sequence of events. Luckily, didn't seem to actually cause any harm long term.

Also, do you have fow turned off, since you normally shouldn't be able to see enemy units as far away as Moscow

Yup I've been playing with nofog this entire time, i actually mentioned at the start too ;)
Oh also I will be playing with nofog because otherwise I won't be able to appreciate the full extent of the chaos happening around me.

Last edited:
Just a few questions. On the first page there seem to be Green Ukraine navy on the Baltic Sea? Why do they have navy? Why the hell are they half a world away?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just a few questions. On the first page there seem to be Green Ukraine navy on the Baltic Sea? Why do they have navy? Why the hell are they half a world away?
Lol, well, the reason why they have a navy at all (it's a tiny navy, couple of cruisers and destroyers i think) is because they've "inherited" it so to speak from the former Imperial Russian Pacific Fleet. The reason why the AI sent it half way across the world... Well you know, AI does what it does, sometimes it's best not to question it lol. Green Ukraine/Transbaikal is a puppet of Japan, and Japan is a member of the Allies, so Japan tends to send parts of its own fleet to Europe and bring their puppet fleets as well. I've seen worse problems - i've seen Transbaikal's troops sent as expeditionary forces to France of all places. Whereas there were actually Russian Expeditionary forces in France during most of the war, this is still not really the intended behavior but rather a bug i still need to fix.

96IK2fu.png

Can't help it, whenever I see Sweden do something like that, I immediately have "Lion From the North" start playing in my head. XD
Don't worry though most of the time Poland still ultimately wins, but they are pretty evenly matched which makes it an interesting contest to watch at least.
Well, this got me thinking at least, what kind of other alternative history content are you going to/is included? Something like the Baltische Landeswehr winning their revolt against the Latvian and Estonian nationalist governments and holding out against the dominant Russian power till they make peace? Or perhaps even joining forces with the White Movement to take St. Petersburg in return for recognition?
Lol, well, the reason why they have a navy at all (it's a tiny navy, couple of cruisers and destroyers i think) is because they've "inherited" it so to speak from the former Imperial Russian Pacific Fleet. The reason why the AI sent it half way across the world... Well you know, AI does what it does, sometimes it's best not to question it lol. Green Ukraine/Transbaikal is a puppet of Japan, and Japan is a member of the Allies, so Japan tends to send parts of its own fleet to Europe and bring their puppet fleets as well. I've seen worse problems - i've seen Transbaikal's troops sent as expeditionary forces to France of all places. Whereas there were actually Russian Expeditionary forces in France during most of the war, this is still not really the intended behavior but rather a bug i still need to fix.
Speaking of navy, I can't find the screenshot at the moment but I swear one had a ship from one of the White factions in the lakes between Estonia and Russia, did you add a connection with the Gulf of Bothnia?
Yup I've been playing with nofog this entire time, i actually mentioned at the start too ;)
derp o_O

• 1Like
Reactions: