• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well spotted.

But do you think anything would be particularly lost by replacing that phrase? If it simply said "God is the greatest", which is the English translation, would that fundamentally change the intent or distort the perception of history?
Yes. And the fact that something is being censored for political reasons is disgusting.
BTW, I'm I am a convinced anti-communist, I consider communism to be the greatest evil of the XX century, but I am not offended by the flag of the USSR, the portrait of Stalin and the focus "Great Purge" in HoI IV.
But they are related to communism much more than the slogan Deus Vult with neo-Nazism.

Ah, the US at it again. I'm for example NOT American and but from a country in which many people died because of the people antifa admires. Sorry to brake it to you but the world doesn't begin in california and end in florida but there are also continents called Europe, Africa or Asia were many people have suffered under regimes Americans never witnessed.
I never said America was the whole world. I just used that as an example because its easier to get sources. But btw, white supremacist terrorism is also a problem in Europe. And no one has died by direct or indirect cause of antifa

I love braincells of west who shill how Crussades were so bad yet defend the religion of peace that Islam is, making always excuses for Jihad left and right.

Whats next you will claim that Europeans were the big bad colonists and how white men need to be eradicated for it. YET FOR some reason Turks aka. ottomans were the biggest Colonists who conquered and colonized the most people by violence.

Whats next? blaming white people for slavery? YET FOR some reason in reality Arabs enslaved so many people left and right that the amount of slaves owned and traded by White people can't even be rounded up to 1% of whole world slavery.

Pathetic you self-hating westerners are, who rewrite history and facts to spread your progressive ideology of hate.
You do know that most of these battels are just the arab empire expanding its border

I am not nitpicking, HoI never mentioned the holocaust or any other major genocide and no one fucking cared.

This is like talking to a brick wall.

You're nitpicking by bringing up the fact that several of the things I called phrases are not actually phrases but instead words despite the fact that that is completely irrelevant to what we were discussing.

Hence "nitpicking". Otherwise known as being pedantic. Otherwise known as being incredibly obsessed with a minor detail not relevant to the discussion.

This is like talking to a brick wall.

You're nitpicking by bringing up the fact that several of the things I called phrases are not actually phrases but instead words despite the fact that that is completely irrelevant to what we were discussing.

Hence "nitpicking". Otherwise known as being pedantic. Otherwise known as being incredibly obsessed with a minor detail not relevant to the discussion.
I am not obsesed with a minor detail, saying that those things were phrases was just a minor part of my argument. Most of it was about that HoI never mentioned the holocaust or any genocide and no one fucking cares.

If the phrase "God Wills It!" appears in the game, are people still going to be offended and screaming "censorship?"

If not, then what's the problem?

If so, then why is it the specific language and not the concept itself that you're so emotionally invested in?

You do know that most of these battels are just the arab empire expanding its border

You do know that most of these battles took place due to the Islamic concept of Jihad, dozens of Christians and Pagans aswell were forced to become muslim or die, and thanks to the Patriarch of Jerusalem, pay a tax so they can keep a head on their shoulders. This is war, this is Holy War.

You do know that most of these battles took place due to the Islamic concept of Jihad, dozens of Christians and Pagans aswell were forced to become muslim or die, and thanks to the Patriarch of Jerusalem, pay a tax so they can keep a head on their shoulders. This is war, this is Holy War.
The jyzia wasnt to keep their head on a shoulder, it existed because muslims also had to pay extra taxes called the zakat

There seem to be an awful lot of Crusades missing from that video.
I would think they would consider the Reconquista a crusade of sorts. But I'm guessing he is saying that all those battles were fought in the name of Jihad, whereas the 'crusades' were only those short bursts of invasion into the Levant. It's not genuine unless you limit the scope to Jihad vs Crusades.

It is awful indeed.

And seeing it as the biggest thread in reaction to CK 3 announcement, even bigger than the official sticky thread, makes me feel like this is a unfortunate but necessary decision. It definitively validates Paradox's decision as far as I am concerned.

I am certain nobody in Paradox is happy to be forced into this kind of Political&PR decisions.
Denying that politics are making their way into games is dishonest at best imo. That being said, and as I've written in a previous post, there were no direct quotes in the article from paradox and the writer of said article can basically write anything he or she wants.

If we take a second and assume the article is true for a moment, then your proposition doesn't make any sense, given that the decision is a political one and thus very much sollicits a political discussion.

And the first Crusade slaughtered thousands of Jews and Christians.

Again: the issue is not that Paradox isn't willing to deal with horrid subject matter.

The issue is what is happening right now. If ISIL was using CK2 memes in their propaganda then it might very well herald some changes on Paradox's part.

But that's not what's happening. Instead it's far right reactionaries who have co-opted CK2 imagery and repurposed it for their own repugnant ends. So that's where the change is.

I'd be fine with translations like
"God wills it !" (instead of deus vult)
and
"God is great !" (instead of allah u akbar)

Even if some flavor is lost.

But then it has to be consistent accross the entire game.

I love braincells of west who shill how Crussades were so bad yet defend the religion of peace that Islam is, making always excuses for Jihad left and right.

Whats next you will claim that Europeans were the big bad colonists and how white men need to be eradicated for it. YET FOR some reason Turks aka. ottomans were the biggest Colonists who conquered and colonized the most people by violence.

Whats next? blaming white people for slavery? YET FOR some reason in reality Arabs enslaved so many people left and right that the amount of slaves owned and traded by White people can't even be rounded up to 1% of whole world slavery.

Pathetic you self-hating westerners are, who rewrite history and facts to spread your progressive ideology of hate.

posting white nationalist propaganda as if it proves anything except that the reasoning for removing "deus vult" was valid

The practice of periodic raids by Bedouins against enemy tribes and settlements to collect spoils predates the revelations of the Quran.[citation needed] According to some scholars (such as James Turner Johnson), while Islamic leaders "instilled into the hearts of the warriors the belief" in jihad "holy war" and ghaza (raids), the "fundamental structure" of this bedouin warfare "remained, ... raiding to collect booty".[41] According to Jonathan Berkey, the Quran's statements in support of jihad may have originally been directed against Muhammad's local enemies, the pagans of Mecca or the Jews of Medina, but these same statements could be redirected once new enemies appeared.[42] According to another scholar (Majid Khadduri), it was the shift in focus to the conquest and spoils collecting of non-Bedouin unbelievers and away from traditional inter-bedouin tribal raids, that may have made it possible for Islam not only to expand but to avoid self-destruction.[43]

For the ones that, "respectfully disagree". The Rashidun, Umayyad, Abbasid Caliphates expanded due to the use of Jihad, the soldiers knew they fought a Holy War, even if the war was more or less politcal, same for the Crusades. The Arab Councillor didn't create claims for the territory they conquered, this is history, this is fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.