• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nogluten

᛫ᛁᚾᚹᛟᚲᛖᚱ᛫ᛟᚠ᛫ᚦᛟᚢᚷᚺᛏᛊ᛫
96 Badges
Apr 18, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
Apparently CK3 won't have any references to deus vult in the game, and it seems that they will also take a different approach to anything that could be considered 'politically sensitive' in the game. I understand why they're doing this and all, yet will they be doing such at the sacrifice of historical accuracy? I personally think that by removing things such as references to deus vult and other potentially politically sensitive content, they are going down a path that has the potential to go poorly. I think that having things such as deus vult could be fine, so long as it's clear what context it is. If they make it clear that it is in the context of a historical setting, then I think it's fine.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...is-happening-heres-ten-things-we-know-so-far/
6. There’s no “Deus Vult”.
In the years since CK2’s release, “Deus Vult” – an eleventh century crusader battlecry – has become a vile meme beloved of racists on the internet. I asked how Paradox’s community team felt about this, and was told emphatically that the words will not appear in Crusader Kings 3. That’s refreshing, but in a game set during a time of conflicts fetishised by modern fascists, it’s the tip of the iceberg. I’ll be writing more about how Paradox are handling the political sensitivities of making a game about the crusades, and how they’re handling the representation of non-European cultures, in the weeks to come.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not having a problem with this.

Reactions:
Right... it's the 12 year old trolls that ruin everything. Absolutely.

...that the words will not appear in Crusader Kings 3. That’s refreshing, but in a game set during a time of conflicts fetishised by modern fascists, it’s the tip of the iceberg.

Jesus christ, might as well call the game "Redacted Kings".

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm going to be honest, if this is true this pretty much guarantees that I won't buy the game. Not because of this particular content but what refusing to have the words represents.

It's a historical game. Well, technically. But because of what a small but vocal bunch of crazies say on the internet, a line heavily associated with the crusader era is being purged?

It implies that's going to be there standard policy for the game going forward. Mildly controversial? Throw it out.

What's next? No actual crusades? No actual indicators of violence? Everybody being happy and getting along and it's not a front for murder?

The game is going to be a bland mess and I want nothing to do with that.

This is a poor step from Paradox.

Honestly, even though it is a shame that they have to remove it, I think it is for the best. I personally have become to despise hearing it because it reminds me of the arseholes who genuinely believe the Crusades were great and that holy war is a good thing. Historical accuracy is one thing, but having something in your game that could potentially normalise vile behaviour is far worse.

I wonder what's worse.

Islamophobes and neo-nazis who in the modern world have to resort to come up with the dumbest memes to stay relevant with their repulsive ideology, or the idiotic pseudo-progressive word police that gives attention, enables and ultimately do what the alt-right was hoping to achieve.

Reactions:
By removing references to Deus Vult, officially done to "not offend people", you are effectively purging it from history and denying that it existed. Actions like this are by their very nature hypocritical.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think that censor historical flavor for the "politically correct" is a big mistake. I mean, you can kill a child but a medieval christian man can't say "Deus Vult" while going to murder muslims in a CRUSADE in CRUSADER KINGS?

Reactions:
To people who hate this decision, what does the word "Deus Vult" actively add to the game? How does it improve the game in any way?
This.

After this statement I'm not going to buy the game, and plenty of friends of mine have decided to avoid it altogether. Congrats for losing around a dozen customers PDX. So far.

Honestly, even though it is a shame that they have to remove it, I think it is for the best. I personally have become to despise hearing it because it reminds me of the arseholes who genuinely believe the Crusades were great and that holy war is a good thing. Historical accuracy is one thing, but having something in your game that could potentially normalise vile behaviour is far worse.

Might as well throw out the entirety of history then.

Hate to be the one to tell you this since apparently you somehow missed this, but history isn't nice. It's a fucked up mess where people died constantly for stupid reasons.

Deus Vult is tied into the very concept of crusading. Stripping out even just the words is stripping out a major part of history, and for what? Because it "Could potentially normalise vile behaviour"?

I hate to say this, because normally it's trolls that do but grow the fuck up.

If you start sanitising history because a small group of crazies take inspiration from it then you've not just let that small group of crazies win but you've also clearly never heard the "Those who forget history" phrase.

Nobody is going to "normalise" Deus Vult. Radical groups need to indoctrinate to get them to kill for the "will" of their God. A game having a historically accurate phrase in it isn't going to normalise anything at all.

To people who hate this decision, what does the word "Deus Vult" actively add to the game? How does it improve the game in any way?

I'd suggest you read history. Maybe you'll learn something.

"Our game not only allows you but encourages you to murder children to aggrandize your realm, gives you the option of impregnating your siblings, makes open the decision to brutally torture prisoners, and should the need arise consume the flesh of anyone who happens to be secluded with you in your court, but you'll be happy to know the words 'Deus Vult' won't appear ingame so as to offend your morality."

It's even funnier when you realize there was an expansion to the original CK named after this apparent nono word. What a joke.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.