• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's sad to see more and more topics with indications of the simulation being not just a little wierd but to be honest quite messed up. I still believe that this is a fantastic game and I will probably play it for a quite long time but it's a little surprising to me that wierd behaviors like this have made it to the final release version of the game. Hopefully we will see som changes in the next patches. :)

Yeah, there is a lot of bad stuff going on behind the pretty surface. I can forgive them for now though because they only had a team of 13 I believe, but with the huge success of the game I expect them to hire in some more people and deal with some of these quite fundamental problems. If not then I might less inclined to purchases the next game in the series.

Edit: I'd also like that add that I have plenty of parks and my commercial demand has always been high.

Okay, the parks and shopping mall are just working fine now. My workers in low commercial areas are just overqualified and I have to delete almost 30-40% of my commercial buildings when I leveled up from 2000 to 6000. Just tested it with 2 save games.

Edit: Building some offices works but the industrial demand is (still) too high.

Last edited:
Having the same issue, no commercial demand.. just residential and industrial/office. From what I'm reading here it's because I have parks everywhere ( to upgrade my housing ), that use the same 'leisure' resource as shops. I think the most simple solution would be to change the leisure thing for commercial, since you can't live off of parks alone :p Perhaps something like recreation for parks, and commercial demand or something for shops so we can get both. Perhaps add in another demand bar for this if need be, there's plenty of space in the UI :)

Just pointing out Hard Mode makes the problem worse since it does a flat out -20 on ALL demand.
Seeing as we can mod the demand numbers, I'm surprised there's no mod fix for this problem yet.

I was thinking a temporary solution until properly fixed might be simply to add 20 (or something similar) to the commercial demand.
I don't know how to recompile a mod even though I have the code open in Visual Studio lol

I'm playing Hard Mode only.

I had to delete 1/3 of my low commercial areas when I got more than 2000, 3000, ... 6000 Cims.

I didn't delete any park but my commercial demand increased immediately. Actually they got too educated to fill these jobs and the demand went zero for a long (long) time. Building some offices and high commercial instead of low commercial areas helped then. I got 7500 Cims atm and the demand is still okay now. (It wasn't before I had to delete all these leveled up low commercial buildings that offered too many jobs..)

Last edited:
There is no bug people. You cannot create large commercial districts without having the proper population. Look at my screenshots, I have a population of 20k and my demand for commercial is pretty high(50%?). Could I build a large commercial downtown if I wanted? Yes, but there needs to be the proper ratio of offices, commercial and industrial parks, along with residents to fill those jobs.

Zones
537215046E146D199066DD3866DA3E4DF1AD6449

Parks
CC35434908A3A8DFF11BC8206F0F006FFC9E0D7F

Traffic
459FD1692DE15F5D85777ECEC531B684362B1E13

Downtown/Commercial demand
0580279F47092DBDF3EBE3733845E38451AF6737

My computer isn't the best for visuals in this game because it's not really a gaming computer, but this proves that there's no bug. People need to learn to balance demands and not build a huge METROPOLIS right off the bat. Do you really think you're going to have huge skyscrapers, a bustling downtown and large commercial demand with a population of less than 50k? Expand slower and create low density for smaller houses and high density for your downtowns, but don't try and build a metropolis with only 6k population lol. You people are way too demanding of a company. CO/Paradox have created an amazing game that they'll be developing/evolving as time goes on, but don't demand a fix when you don't know how to build a city.

There is no bug people. You cannot create large commercial districts without having the proper population. Look at my screenshots, I have a population of 20k and my demand for commercial is pretty high(50%?). Could I build a large commercial downtown if I wanted? Yes, but there needs to be the proper ratio of offices, commercial and industrial parks, along with residents to fill those jobs.

My computer isn't the best for visuals in this game because it's not really a gaming computer, but this proves that there's no bug. People need to learn to balance demands and not build a huge METROPOLIS right off the bat. Do you really think you're going to have huge skyscrapers, a bustling downtown and large commercial demand with a population of less than 50k? Expand slower and create low density for smaller houses and high density for your downtowns, but don't try and build a metropolis with only 6k population lol. You people are way too demanding of a company. CO/Paradox have created an amazing game that they'll be developing/evolving as time goes on, but don't demand a fix when you don't know how to build a city.

You simply don't have enough parks for the bug to fully manifest. I have 45 parks (I just counted). I haven't needed commercial since under 6K pop and I have 30K pop now. You simply don't have enough parks to experience the bug fully. The bug only appears when you build a LOT of parks, hence why a lot of people aren't experiencing it. Add 20 parks to your city and see if the bug appears.

You simply don't have enough parks for the bug to fully manifest. I have 45 parks (I just counted). I haven't needed commercial since under 6K pop and I have 30K pop now. You simply don't have enough parks to experience the bug fully. The bug only appears when you build a LOT of parks, hence why a lot of people aren't experiencing it. Add 20 parks to your city and see if the bug appears.

Why would you ever need 45 parks? You only have a population of 30k. Do you have a park every other block? Trying to look at this from both sides.

Build more parks. I have a much higher population than you do, and a far smaller commercial area, yet have no commercial demand.

Why would you ever need 45 parks? You only have a population of 30k. Do you have a park every other block? Trying to look at this from both sides.

Are you questioning my design decisions? :glare:

And I have multiple parks on some blocks. My entire city is basically perfect as far as leisure (including industrial zones). You make so much money in this game, even in hard mode, so why not build a ton of parks?

You have more parks because they increase happiness and land value, which is important for upgrading the buildings and keeping crime down.

They really need to separate visitors into two groups, one for leisure (parks) and one for shopping (commercial).

This is exactly what I discovered as well. I agree it's a workaround and hopefully CO can fix it.

Thanks to Mithkabob, I think I discovered a workaround to this problem. I posted this in both the C:S subreddit and the C:S Steam forum, so hopefully this will help folks.

The Fix: create your own parks using the asset editor. Under park properties, there will be a Tourists option. Click that and change the numbers all to 0. I am not a programmer and I have no idea what this does, but I'm under the assumption that it changes the number of visitor spaces to 0.

After doing this, I went into a saved game. I deleted all my parks and watched as commercial demand rose. I then added my custom park and saw no change in commercial demand. There were tiny ripple effects each time I added a park, but that was true across both residential and industry too.

I added a total of 15 parks. I then added a large park with trees -- not custom made -- and watched as commercial demand dipped considerably. After adding a large plaza and a small playground, demand plunged into the abyss.

For now, it looks like a viable workaround until CO gets this sorted out. But remember, you MUST delete all game-created parks prior to or after adding your custom parks or this will not work.

I agree they would be a bit dodgy doing that! :) And why they chose to visit parks instead of the museums and stores, beats me unless they're cheapskates and travel on the cheap. Logic doesn't necessarily make sense here, but it is what it is and at least there's a workaround for now.

But a) tourists don't go to far off cities to visit kids playgrounds (unless they're a bit dodgy) and b) you don't usually have much to spend money on in a park! Was this a designed feature or an oversight?