• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know it doesn't make sense, but this is what's happening. The parks I created have no attraction to tourists. As soon as I removed a bunch of my original parks, geeze I place a gazillion on them, and replaced them with the modified assets, my commerical growth went through the roof.

We do need attractions such as the opera house and science center, but perhaps all of the other parks were taking the tourists away from these attractions which probably bring in revenue because the people are paying an admission fee. I don't know as I am not a developer and only another user like you trying to get stuff to work, which happens to be going quite well now for me.

Try it; make a park and modify the parameters so that no tourists go there and see what happens.

John

I think I misunderstood your statement. I entirely agree that the issue brought up here does exist. I've tried it myself. Thought you were talking in a different perspective.

wait wait wait...Parks end up dumpening the commercial demand?!

Yup. And I just noticed that my big attractions like the Mall of Moderation now has customers which it didn't before...

Is everyone getting this, and is there a total loss of C demand? It is strange because I have a large city of 50K with parks and still have seemingly adequate C demand.

We're well "on" this problem! :)

Remove some parks and watch..., or do as I mentioned above. Create a park or two without any tourist attraction value, you need to type in the zero (0) over the value of 50, save and place these parks, and watch what happens... At least with the no tourist parks, your residents will still be happy because the environment is still affected which is what we want.

John

We're well "on" this problem! :)

Remove some parks and watch..., or do as I mentioned above. Create a park or two without any tourist attraction value, you need to type in the zero (0) over the value of 50, save and place these parks, and watch what happens... At least with the no tourist parks, your residents will still be happy because the environment is still affected which is what we want.

John
You missed the point, I have parks and yet there's still demand.
I saw somewhere else that it could possibly be hard mode, anyone look into that?

Is everyone getting this, and is there a total loss of C demand? It is strange because I have a large city of 50K with parks and still have seemingly adequate C demand.

You can get past the problem by growing your city to the point where you have rail connections, high density residential, ships, and so on. But there's a long window of time (for me it was from 800 to 10,000 population) where you have zero commercial demand if you build parks and tons of commercial demand if you don't. Even when you're over the hump, you can generate MUCH more commercial demand by tearing your parks out.

And this is all on normal mode.

I had same commercial demand in 140k city as I had in a 25k one, about 2k "squares" total and that's it. I tried suggestion from this thread and bulldozed all parks (I had a LOT of those) and unique buildings. Demand for commerce went up quite fast, maybe in 9-10 months I already had 10k squares of commerce, in 1 more year closer to 15k. Then it slowly went up to 20k and that's where I reloaded save as I prefer high land value and happy people to commerce. At least I've unlocked last unique building that way...
But yeah, I hope it'll get fixed soon. I had to get rid of most of my industry and build offices instead, because they always complained about being unable to sell their good (no traffic issues mostly, at least not bad enough to cause that).

You missed the point, I have parks and yet there's still demand.
I saw somewhere else that it could possibly be hard mode, anyone look into that?

Hard mode has nothing to do with this. Numerous people have confirmed that the bug still exists in normal mode.

If you aren't experiencing the bug, you most likely simply haven't built enough parks. Try saving your game and trying building a ton more parks to see if your demand is affected.

Encountered this as well. Kind of game breaking as my entire downtown financial district is demolishing itself because I've put down too much beautification. I hope CO provide a rebalancing hotfix relatively soon.

I have this too. Not related to hard mode, since I play on normal.

It's quite simple really, amount of parks shouldn't affect commercial demand. There is absolutely no logic to that. What's next, lot of trees will stop demand for education? Lot of cemeteries will stop demand for fire safety? Don't try to reason it, and explain it as "game mechanic". If it's a bug it needs to changed. If it's a game mechanic it needs to be changed. Plain and simple.

Disappointed there's no official reaction or even a post that says they are aware... in Steam forums there is a thread with 215 messages about this game breaking bug. Parks should actually INCREASE the demand, parks increase land value and rich people move in, more money, more shopping, more commercial demand. Also if there's something that brings tourists, it should also make demand go up. Most tourists buy souvenirs and bunch of stuff, very rarely someone on a trip doesn't do any shopping.

Last edited:
Thanks to Mithkabob, I think I discovered a workaround to this problem. I posted this in both the C:S subreddit and the C:S Steam forum, so hopefully this will help folks.

The Fix: create your own parks using the asset editor. Under park properties, there will be a Tourists option. Click that and change the numbers all to 0. I am not a programmer and I have no idea what this does, but I'm under the assumption that it changes the number of visitor spaces to 0.

After doing this, I went into a saved game. I deleted all my parks and watched as commercial demand rose. I then added my custom park and saw no change in commercial demand. There were tiny ripple effects each time I added a park, but that was true across both residential and industry too.

I added a total of 15 parks. I then added a large park with trees -- not custom made -- and watched as commercial demand dipped considerably. After adding a large plaza and a small playground, demand plunged into the abyss.

For now, it looks like a viable workaround until CO gets this sorted out. But remember, you MUST delete all game-created parks prior to or after adding your custom parks or this will not work.

It doesn't but it does...

If the tourists, who like to spend a lot of money don't visit commercial spaces because they're visiting the parks instead,

But a) tourists don't go to far off cities to visit kids playgrounds (unless they're a bit dodgy) and b) you don't usually have much to spend money on in a park! Was this a designed feature or an oversight?

many people go shopping in a mall not only to buy things, but spend there free time in the mall (and of course buy things then). So there are two "demands" for C-zones: real shopping and spending free time.
as children and "grow-ups" also are people in the city and have free time, they spend it in parks to play (of course you cannot go shopping there, but spending your free time)

so if i see it from this point of view, parks are some kind of C-zones.

... allthough they should have not so much affect on the C-demand.

I deleted the big shopping mall and the commercial demands increased immediately. Got the same problem before. Now it works fine. Its just too big for small towns.

Okay, I had no parks in the city. Tried again and just deleting parks doesnt work. Deleting parks and the big mall works. I don't know if it's a bug or something. Would be nice to hear from CO what's going on..

Before:

After:

Last edited:
Deleting parks doesn't work for me. When I deleted all of my parks AND the big shopping mall the commercial demands increased immediately..

I'm testing it again. I deleted the big shopping mall and none of my parks. Then I deleted 1/3 of my commercial buildings (I had too many jobs here when I leveled up from 2000 to 6000 citizens) and the commercial demands increased immediately again. Yay.

Last edited:
Do commercial outlets have a capacity cap? If so, some tweaking of those could help to stop the mall getting a monopoly on shopping. Do we know whether these places have a radius, and therefore leave Cims outside the radius still wishing for closer shops? It's beginning to look like they don't mind at all how far they have to travel. The happiness/landvalue effect has a radius, but the Cims don't have a need in their area provided that need is fulfilled *anywhere* on the map. I don't think I'd want to go up to 18km for my nearest shop, not in some of the traffic conditions I have seen in this game. I'd be terrified of being dematerialised and suddenly finding myself back home with no memory.