• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My problem is the opposite, I seem to have a never ending demand for commercial zones, but I'm hesitant to zone as much as the game demands me to as I'm almost at a 1:2 ratio to residential zones and with only a 5 % unemployment rate. Further more, I'm lacking in low skill labour force, even though I'm trying to keep my education levels down by not building enough schools, so I'm not sure if there would be any people able to work at all the commercial areas the game wants me to build.

You swine! DAFUQ! I have no idea if this is a bug proper, a bug balancing, or some example/manifestation of a fiendish game mechanic now. lol

Maybe CO will share some mechanics in graphic - spoon fed - form with us... but maybe I don't want that, as a lot of the fun is working this stuff out... unless it is a bug of course.

I have to travel today, but on the way home tomorrow I'll pick up some booze and see how large I can get a city with two parks and no C demand. I can't wait :laugh:

I tried something new this time. I disabled all assets from the steam workshop. Loaded my save, which left black spaces where my workshop parking lots, parks, etc were, and demolished all my remaining parks. As everyone in this thread has noticed commercial picked up. And after losing about 20,000 population from everyone abandoning due to low property values and me bulldozing half the buildings in my city, my RCI demand leveled off. I was able to place parks and unique buildings while still having commercial demand although I did noticed they caused a decrease so I didn't go crazy as before. Not sure if that is a fix, but commercial buildings have sprouted throughout my city, where no buildings had grown for about 4 hours of previous game time.

Just to jump in but, I found the issue was when I had no commercial zoned mixed in my residential zones.

I had no commercial demand until I added a bus line which went through my residential area and stopped in my commercial district. Then the demand went through the roof

I went a little crazy zoning some commercial to make up for lost time and balance my districts out and commercial demand flat-lined. After reading your post, I updated my metro and bus routes to my new commercial zones. You're right there was an increase in commercial demand, an airport helped quite a bit later.

Wait you can turn off parks ?.. Can i turn off some and keep others active.. And still keep the land value high ?

You can actually turn off all of the ploppable buildings, much like in SimCity. The On/Off button is in the upper left hand corner of the dialog box, shaded blue.

Perhaps the commercial is there for leisure, and since parks and recreational facilities appeal to leisure, the demand is affected in some way?

Turning off the mall and the shopping monument doesn't effect my commercial demand. Only when I bulldoze it, it rises. Now I am having 4.300 citizens and could use 1 park with trees ti have at least some demand...

Turning on/off parks didn't influence demand for commercial, however strangely building an university increased the commercial demand. There is also some other issue with commercial its ratio to R & I is to low it seems right now you only need 15% commercial.

Should be more something like: R: 45%, C: 30%, I: 25%.
Making commercial double the current amount. A problem lays in that offices are not counted as Commercial and high-tech industry is missing in the game!!!

I have the same issue, will try to lower taxes later when I play this evening. Also there is high tech in this game, my industries have been upgrading, seems to be related to land value and education, I have a high ratio of university cims.

I am also having this issue. I have high industrial demand while all of my industrial area slowly abandoned because there is no enough commercial areas to sell their products.

So I think I have found the reason to why my problem has been to opposite to what many people describe here - too much commercial zone demand! I had a huge oil industry that found it difficult to export all its goods, which probably lead to commercial demand being pushed through the roof as there were not enough stores to sell all the stuff. I simply erased half of my oil industry and now the commercial demand has stabilised.

Instead of demolishing parks I turned them off and watched the commercial demand reach for the sky. This is a very intriguing bug.

Yeah, turning them off works, too, but of course their land is still occupied.

I've shelved this game until this bug is fixed. I want to be able to level up residential zones and still have commercial demand. I suppose I could build a city with lots of crappy housing, but that's not my style.

Disabling parks didnt work for me, then I disabled some services, that also didn't help. Any idea why I have 0 commercial demand while all of my Industry gets abandoned due to lack of commercial zone.

Pgv9D0r.jpg

Here you can see my closed parks in black, and land value in red.

Hmm. I was wrong about turning off parks. Others have said it might work and I assumed they were right. I just loaded a save and turned all mine off, though, and it did nothing. I had to bulldoze them to get commercial demand to appear.

I have noticed this as well. I took most of last night off playing but I am at close to 24k, I haven't had any commercial request since about 15k and I haven't built any crazy malls, a few high density and some low density. I do have parks, subway access to every commercial and industry area. It's just weird, but I am opening up a farming zone now (have forestry, mining and normal industry), so we will see how that goes. Industry is just as happy to export the goods, maybe I should delete the cargo train tracks out of the city.

Yes I got low demand for commercials after I removed parks. But I won't continue my game until we get hotfix because all of my R area will be abandoned due to low land value.

Anyway , it shows the issue is NOT related with land value. Since when I disabled I got 0 demand with 0 active park = lowest land value. But when I removed it they started to build buildings in commercial zone I created like 5 years ago.

Having the same issue. See screenshot below. While building my city from the start to about 4500 population (Daffodil Square and Pleasant Hills district), I kept adding a little bit of Commercial. I'd guess maybe 20%? I did not add more than what was demand for. But while my city kept growing, up to 12500 population now, there has been no Commercial demand at all. I didn't zone Commercial because there was no demand. But when I did try to do that, the zones stayed empty.

Look at the zone pie chart, this can't be right?! I tried de-zoning my existing commercial, but only when I had removed about half of it, the demand indicator was just barely visible. The Downtown district is almost all High Density Res, except for a couple of Office areas. Not a single Commercial zone. I definitely feel this is bugged somehow.

(Click for bigger version.)

My city grew to almost 25000, and I didn't get any Commercial demand the entire time. Tried turning off all parks and unique buildings, no effect. Tried removing all parks and after that Commercial demand increased to about 75% in maybe 1 or 2 ingame weeks. Removed unique buildings as well, and it increased a little bit more, to about 80% - 85%.

I lost almost 5000 people after removing all the parks, but I assume the that's just the effect of removing parks, and has no relation to the rising Commercial demand.

I hope we can get a dev to respond to this asap! :)

Had same issue, even accidentally started separate topic. I have not removed anything regarding parks but checked education level. My schools were educating only 70% of society eligible for education. So I bumped the primary school rate to be able to educate more than 100% (in theory). I have 5 primary schools and guess what - suddenly my demand for commercial is back. Maybe it was due to no available employees with only basic education level?

EDIT

Now I bumped it even more by hiring those brainy guys coming from universities and those who are level before in education. I opened offices and this has caused additional bump in commercial demand. My industry is not maximized in development so it needs more uneducated workers. They don't get paid a lot therefore can't afford commercial and prefer parks. But as soon I generated more population with higher education level and high income - seems to be back on track.

Still theory.

Last edited:
I am also having this issue. I have high industrial demand while all of my industrial area slowly abandoned because there is no enough commercial areas to sell their products.

build offices since that counts as Industry for some reason and that should help you out. What I think is happening is that you have too many educated workers and not enough Non educated. So you making a factory is not helping much. So make offices instead if you can and then see what happens, If you can build Resdential that will give you a influx of workers.

But i believe your problem is that it says industry,, But what they want is offices. Since if you add any more industry they cant sell anything :(

Yes I got low demand for commercials after I removed parks. But I won't continue my game until we get hotfix because all of my R area will be abandoned due to low land value.

Anyway , it shows the issue is NOT related with land value. Since when I disabled I got 0 demand with 0 active park = lowest land value. But when I removed it they started to build buildings in commercial zone I created like 5 years ago.

Just curious.. What is your unemployment ?. I do not think people realized that when you have a high unemployment.. it causes you to have no demand for anything else really. Build factories and slums and then see what happens,

I always have low demand for commercial.. But i just assume the factories are just exporting everything

Okay, so I was looking around in the files to see what is moddable in the game, and I came across the Commercial demand mechanics in the core game files.

Here is how it works (as far as I can tell):

There are two parts to the demand which can go from -50 to +50 and they are added together to make the bar, 0 being empty and 100 being full.

The first part is based on the ratio of the number of citizens to the number of commercial workers in an 8:1 ratio = 0 demand. The formula is set up where 10:1 citizens to commercial workers = +50 demand and 6:1 = -50 demand.

It looks like there is a mistake to me in the first formula where empty commercial worker space is removed because it lets you overbuild commercial past your demand some what because they don't really count against it until they get workers. (And level upgrading ignores demand, so it lets you go even further past.)

The second part of the formula is where parks and special buildings kill off all of your demand.

It is based on a ratio of the number of visitor spaces available (includes capacity of commerce selling goods, people visiting parks, and special buildings) to the number of visitor spaces unused. The ratio is 3:1 in this case, so if 75% of your visitor space is taken up, it = 0 added demand. At 6:1 ratio, it hits +50 (85.7%). At 2:1 ratio it hits -50 (66.66%).

I think tourists are supposed to help offset the impact of the parks and special buildings, but I can't seem to get anymore to come into my city so they don't help me out much.