• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah I was thinking I might be the only one having this problem or thought I might be doing something wrong . but frankly is it really a problem? I guess 15% to 20% commercial sounds ok (just my view)

Having the same issue. See screenshot below. While building my city from the start to about 4500 population (Daffodil Square and Pleasant Hills district), I kept adding a little bit of Commercial. I'd guess maybe 20%? I did not add more than what was demand for. But while my city kept growing, up to 12500 population now, there has been no Commercial demand at all. I didn't zone Commercial because there was no demand. But when I did try to do that, the zones stayed empty.

Look at the zone pie chart, this can't be right?! I tried de-zoning my existing commercial, but only when I had removed about half of it, the demand indicator was just barely visible. The Downtown district is almost all High Density Res, except for a couple of Office areas. Not a single Commercial zone. I definitely feel this is bugged somehow.

(Click for bigger version.)

I think the commercial may be throttled too high when it comes to demand. Add the low population and the commercial in Daffodil Hills and Pleasant Square would be sufficient enough.

I have the same problem and I'm suspecting the problem has to do with assets. First city I played I used 0 mods or assets from the workshop and commercial worked fine. For the second city I downloaded some buildings and junctions from workshop and I think that broke the game. Tomorrow I'm gonna try new city with 0 assets and see how it goes and i'm gonna report back here.

I think the theory that commercials leveling up causes this is correct. I haven't had to zone commercial for ages. Just kept growing slowly, and now occasionally a new one shows up. It starts leveling up immediately (due to good services and land value) and instantly drains the demand.
If you want large commercial districts, I think you have to just grow really big, or get a large amount of tourists.

can you guys try killing your parks, the more parks i kill, the more the commercial demand goes up almost instantly after a certain treshhold (at the start nothing happens because your demand is basically negative from all the parks you build when you are a nice mayor).

When you rebuild parks after this, demand goes back down.

Please try, im farily certain the parks suck inj commercial demand upon being build

I have 30K pop, and I haven't needed more commercial zones since 10K pop. And it's not like I overbuilt then either. Seems very strange.

please test delete all parks and watch commercial demand

Confirmed. My city was in a very stable state as far as demand. I demolished all parks and my commercial demand went through the roof - to demand to demand so high the blue bar was almost to the top. I think we have a confirmed bug.

EDIT: added my comments to your bug report thread.