• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DukofDeth

Lt. General
41 Badges
Nov 20, 2015
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
This popped up
20171227141549_1.jpg

Cute. Is it tied to anything in particular, or just something that came unexpectedly late?

You can see the causes for the event here:
https://hoi4.paradoxwikis.com/News_events_3#Yes.21_We_Have_No_Bananas
In short: As the UK, you must be at war with a Major, have Total Mobilization or War Economy, still control the Greater London Area, and it takes about 160 weeks before the event will fire, give or take a few for randomness.
It's mostly just something there for a little bit of a laugh/flavor, it seems.

Obviously it's about rationing, the UK went without bananas for the duration of the war, oranges were rationed and given only to children and pregnant women (different ration books for children and pregnant women), even apples which were grown in the UK were often sold one per customer. When bananas were brought to the UK again after the war, children (blue ration books) were allowed two (none for adults).

Is it weeks, or months. I looked in the Wiki, and it read months. In a way, that makes some sense, as I started by attacking France in 1938, and was fighting Brazil [by then, a mp] in 1950 - 12 to 13 years is 144 to 156 months. Though, I wasn't fighting one mp or another steadily for that long - there were some breaks in between

Is it weeks, or months. I looked in the Wiki, and it read months. In a way, that makes some sense, as I started by attacking France in 1938, and was fighting Brazil [by then, a mp] in 1950 - 12 to 13 years is 144 to 156 months. Though, I wasn't fighting one mp or another steadily for that long - there were some breaks in between
I misread it as weeks, as my tiny mammalian brain could not comprehend playing this game past 1945, and therefore could not conceive of a reality where you would play this game long enough for 160 months to pass. I guess others just have more tenacity than me.

The improvements that came with 1.3.3 really sped up the mid- to late game. Playing till 1948 or beyond is now feasable. I had to go to 1951 to finish off "One Empire", and that took most of the weekend to play through. I recall restarting Christmas afternoon. Prior to 1.3.3, playing till 1948+ took a week, and I persisted by letting the game run on its own [once I was not in any more wars] while I either binged on Netflix, or played another game on one of the consoles. It can still get tedious, but its so much more doable now.

No Bananas? Oh the humanity! :p

Bombing St. Paul's cathedral was bad enough, but now they've really gone and done it. Depriving the Brits of fresh bananas is a huge step across a line from which there's no coming back! True and utter sacrilege. ;)

As the poster above said no bananas (or lemons) were imported after rationing restrictions came into effect because shipping food was strictly directed towards making sure people had enough calories to stay alive and people could get the vitamins they needed from fruit and vegetables grown locally in the UK. The "no bananas" thing was a sort of primitive meme though, based on a 20s song called "Yes! We Have No Bananas", where shopkeepers would put up signs saying "Yes, we have no bananas" as a joke about people complaining about food shortages. It became such a part of the British cultural psyche that my parents know all the words to it even though they were born in 1950, well after the war had ended, but when rationing was still in force and bananas were still rare.

Obviously it's about rationing, the UK went without bananas for the duration of the war

My grandma's two sisters took two Yanks for boyfriends when they were stationed here awaiting the invasion of le France.

Those two didn't go 'bout bananas during the war if you know what I mean eh, wink wink, nudge nudge, eh?

Mars bars too.

They should get rid of that, it's a mockery of all who starved during the war.

It's right to remember that WW2 was not a game.

But, thankfully, nobody starved in Britain, which largely survived the war thanks to ITMA. I'd hope that the country can still laugh at its troubles.