• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on Thursday, February 25th 2021 At approximately 4PM CST / Friday, February 26th 2021 Midnight UTC. This downtime is estimated to last up to 2 hours.
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Paul_M

Major
32 Badges
Aug 30, 2004
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
One thing that I think will help make the battles last a more historic period of time is to stop ground combat at night. To use the "This is a Grand Strategy Game" arguement, while a few units in a division may undertake night combat for the most part night time was when units did things like sleep, resupply, move artillary around etc.

You should be able to start an attack at night (with the penalties that exist) but come the next night the battle on both sides should stop (each should recover some org etc assume they are in supply). Troops cannot fight (or for that matter march) 24 hours a day for days on end without becoming exhausted.

Obviously air and sea combat are not stopped but it would make a lot of sense to stop the ground combat.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose. If you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Rich Oliver

Colonel
On Probation
9 Badges
Nov 30, 2004
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Yes I agree something should definitely be done about it. I am not an expert on it, I would be interested to know when night attacks were used. But it surely seems logical that you attack at night or in the day which ever gives you best advantage, not both.