• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, I mercilessly removed this technology, as I find it absolutely meaningless.
Trying to implement Refueling mechanics as a "technology" is unsuccessful and very unrealistic.
Refueling allows you to increase the distance by a conditionally unlimited number of kilometers, not as any fixed bonus for all your ships.
It all depends on the number and speed of oil-tankers in your fleet and on how accurately you sent slow tankers in advance to the specified points of the path.
This mechanics cannot be implemented as any "technology". I think this "technology" was well-known in 1936 and don't need to be invented.

As for Fletcher's range - the theoretical range of the Fletcher at 60% speed (20 knots) would be around 4000-4500 km.
In practice, this will be even 500 km less - 3500-4000 km, or even less.
Crusing Range:
About 4800 nautical miles at 15 knots. With added tonage for wartime needs, actual range was likely less.

But since it will be 1942-tech destroyer, Fletcher will get its unrealistic 6000 km distance.
Relatively, we can assume that the invention of Fletcher in my Mod = the invention of refueling for this class of destroyers. :D
For gameplay reasons, I don't want the destroyer range increase to apply to all destroyers. This will motivate the player to research and build modern destroyers, only they will have an extremely-high range.
The tech in DHFull actually corresponds to you change the fuel at the qauntum level, giving it higher energy content, thus increasing the range ;)

Even though I don't play multiplayer, I will be following this.

You consistently find new ways to put round pegs in DH's square holes.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I hope its okay I ask again about North Africa?

What about the creation of a special Dessert Division. Only this type of division can move in North Africa and other places where the infrastructure is low. All other types of divisions trying to enter North Africa and the like, will get their movement factor reduced to zero.

Or a special Dessert Brigade / Water supply brigade, whatever it should be named. Only divisions with such a brigade attached can be able to move in the dessert.

I think we don't have any technical possibility to implement this in a way that would make this concept work good and be really playable.
It is not possible to create new terrain types and "border types" between provinces. :confused:
(damn, I need 1-2 terrain types more, so much!)
Also, it seems, there is no way to slow down units to zero by antibonuses (I heard that there is a "minimum" speed, which is impossible to slow down below).

I would rather create mountains who can filter through the "disconnected" provinces of the Caucasus. But this is also technically impossible. :confused:

Last edited:
I'm interested in the source of your not-so-boring lecture. Do you have a link at hand, per chance? In English, hopefully - if it's in Russian, then I'm helpless.
OMG !!!!!
Holy shit !!! :D
Right now, I got absolutley amazing resourse about american warships Speed/Range datas.
(there are some Hoi-4 modmakers, who are such madness like me, they right now gave me this :D )

I'm absolutely thrilled and I'm going to dive into this information for a couple of weeks!
Hell, this is exactly what I need to calculate maximally realistic distances and fuel consumption!

These beautiful curves get me crazy! :D
33711591.bmp

• 2Like
Reactions:
Sure! I carefully researched Wikipedia about each minister of the main 10-16 MP-countries and totally changed all the perks from random vanilla perks to much more realistic.
It was more than a thousand wikipedia pages and biographies, large countries have 200-300 (!) ministers and I had to search for each of them and study their biography.
Even Mongolian (!) leaders are historically replaced by years and have more or less correct historical perks, as far as possible.

In order for the ministers to be more historical, I had to create an additional 40 new minister's perks and totally rebalanced all existing perks. I also added several important ministers that were missing in vanilla.
Reading the descriptions of famous ministers is a separate funny entertainment in my Mod. ;)

Last edited:
Sure! I carefully researched Wikipedia about each minister of the main 10-16 MP-countries and totally changed all the perks from random vanilla perks to much more realistic.
It was more than a thousand wikipedia pages and biographies, large countries have 200-300 ministers and I had to search for each of them and study their biography.
Even Mongolian (!) leaders are historically replaced and have more or less correct historical perks, as far as possible.

In order for the ministers to be more historical, I had to create an additional 40 new minister's perks and totally rebalanced all existing perks. I also added several important ministers that were missing in vanilla.
Reading the descriptions of famous ministers is a separate funny entertainment in my Mod. ;)
Hi, Nick. Thank you for such a great MP mod.
What about if I only play it with single-player mode?
Looking forward to getting your feedback.

There is no problem playing the single.
This can be interesting if you play several games as the Majors, following the historical way - in the atmosphere of the most accurate WW2 scenery/decorations.

"Balanced for multiplayer" - it just means that since I don't play "SP" myself last 10 years (since I open Hoi-2 Multiplayer, I play SP only as test-runs before MP, and I like this kind of SP very much, even more than MP, lol, ahah :D ), I didn't balance AI against a human-player.
AI, as usual, is endlessly dumb and has no special boosts in my Mod, so in SP, playing as a major it will be a very easy walk for human-player.

If I would want to make a mode for an interesting complex single-player game, I would have to write a huge complex chain of events that would give to the enemy-AI, from the sky, tons of additional tanks, planes, ships, resources, supplies... and so every time when it's all lost below a certain minimum... and so on, and so on... but I have no interest in working on this now.
May be in future I'll make this super-hard SP-regime for USSR, with several difficulty levels, as one demo-SP-regime.

Therefore, now, SP will be an easy walk against a weak AI, but interesting in terms of immersion in the course of WW2 events, if you play for the majors.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
There is no problem playing the single.
This can be interesting if you play several games as the Majors, following the historical way - in the atmosphere of the most accurate WW2 scenery/decorations.

"Balanced for multiplayer" - it just means that since I don't play "SP" myself last 10 years (since I open Hoi-2 Multiplayer, I play SP only as test-runs before MP, and I like this kind of SP very much, even more than MP, lol, ahah :D ), I didn't balance AI against a human-player.
AI, as usual, is endlessly dumb and has no special boosts in my Mod, so in SP, playing as a major it will be a very easy walk for human-player.

If I would want to make a mode for an interesting complex single-player game, I would have to write a huge complex chain of events that would give to the enemy-AI, from the sky, tons of additional tanks, planes, ships, resources, supplies... and so every time when it's all lost below a certain minimum... and so on, and so on... but I have no interest in working on this now.
May be in future I'll make this super-hard SP-regime for USSR, with several difficulty levels, as one demo-SP-regime.

Therefore, now, SP will be an easy walk against a weak AI, but interesting in terms of immersion in the course of WW2 events, if you play for the majors.
Thanks for the feedback.
I will try the mod under SP mode.:)

• 2Like
Reactions:
More Naval Magic in next version of Mod will be!

###############################################################################
"Protection for Range" Exchange

Most of modern large ships of WW2 (cruisers and battleships) had the following feature - at "maximum" fuel load, their underwater protection decreased, at "normal fuel loading" (when voids remained in the underwater tanks), protection against underwater explosions (torpedoes and mines) increased.

from USN commanders reference table:
33943583.bmp
This can be really useful gameplay feature, so I implemented this in game.
33943807.bmp
How useful it can be to exchange temporarily -500 Range for +1 Sea Defense?
For the battles of cruisers, if the Attack of the enemy cruisers exceeds the Defense of your cruisers, +1 Defense means around -10% damage reduction, received by your cruisers.
Not much, but not so few. If you currently don't have a need for maximum Range, why not to increase the potential of your cruisers at 10%.

At the same time, player can return to the "maximum fuel load" of their cruisers at any time:
33943925.bmp
Also, such separate decision will be made for battleship hulls, where Sea Defence will increase by +2.

2. Reduced Firing Distance for battleships and battlecruisers! :D

Yes, this is what I missed all these 12 years of playing Hoi-2 MP!
I'm sad, I did not invent this much earlier, but late is better than never.

So, why to reduce the firing Distance of battleships and battlecruisers?
It's easy!
Just remind this classic old Hoi-question: "To build or not to build?" this two..:
33944061.bmp
I often had to abandon the completion of the Scharnhorsts, because in Hoi-2 mechanics they can not be effectively used together with the heavy cruisers available at the start, because of their higher Fire Distance.
Although it's always quite sadly to delete warships that already have construction progress. :confused:
Britain also has several battlecruisers that you may want to add to your heavy cruiser fleet, but this is inefficient also because of their higher Firing Distance.

Therefore, I created an additional, alternative type of Fire Control brigade, only for Germany and UK, which does not increase, but reduces Firing Distance!
33944215.bmp
At the same time, both types of "Fire Control" brigade are aviable to build!
They are absolutely equal, only instead of +2 Distance, alternative brigade give -2 Distance to Germany (the same Distance, as your 3 Pocket Battleships have )
Player can, very flexible, - to build, install, upgrade and swap any of these two brigades - standard or alternative - to his large ships.
This provides the player to use more flexible configuration of his fleets.
33944300.bmp
You may always disable these alternative brigades and even delete this decision (as all other "warships" decisions) permanently if you are not going to use it.
33944374.bmp
Of course it would be much easier to just add -4 Distances to the existing brigades (as Speed or Range) but there is no such command in the "event commands" file. :confused:
If someone knows the "secret" commands, how to change the values of the Distance and Shorebombardment parameters, I would be happy to know it.
But for now, I was forced to implement this mechanic in a more complex way, through additional types of brigades.

3. German/Italian Destroyers true Fuel/Range

Until now, I have limited myself to implementing accurate unique historical characteristics only for large ships - cruisers, battleships, aircraft carriers.
It was impossible to make an exact implementation of all possible destroyers having only 5-6 DD-levels.
After creating of many new naval brigades, now this mission became achievable and I engaged in the exact implementation of all destroyers of key countries.

After creating the "normal" USA/Jap/UK destroyers, I moved on to the destroyers of Germany and Italy.
It turned out that they are seriously different from "normal" ocean-class destroyers.
It turned out that the German and Italian destroyers had significantly worse fuel efficiency (2.6 Oil per day instead of 2) and, accordingly, significantly worse cruising Range (-2000 km!).

For countries experiencing a shortage of Oil, destroyers, consuming a lot of Oil is a really sad case. :confused:
The Range in the Mediterranean theater of operations is not so critical, but it would also be nice to increase it.
For comparison, the "normal" US/Japan/UK 1938-Destroyers have 4500 km Range, destroyers of Germany/Italy of the same 1938 have Range only 2500 km.

So I created an additional decision for Germany and Italy, that allows player to exchange Speed for Range and Fuel economy. (in addition to the Cruise-Control brigade).
Player will be able to reduce the Speed of all German and Italian destroyers from 35 to 28, which would make the speed equal to the speed of their slow main ships - old Italian battleships and German pocket battleships have 28 speed.
This significantly reduces Oil Consumption (from 2.6 to 1.6 Oil/day !) and increases Range (+800 km).
33945160.bmp
As you can see - both options for reducing the speed of destroyers are available (-14 or -7 knots), but you can activate only one of them, while some decision is activated, the alternative option is not available.
33945261.bmp
From the other features of the German and Italian destroyers, I can say that Italian destroyers turned out to be shit do not have any unique additional brigades, but, as compensation for the reduced Range they will have discount on their IC-cost and this is also good racial feature.
German destroyers also will not have any unique additional brigades, but Sea Attack and AA-attack of all new German destroyers will be increased by +2 without using brigades, which will allow to use all 4 available brigade-slots for other standard brigades.

4. Japanese torpedo cruisers

Just little cherry on the cake.
For the glory of Atmosphere, Historicity and Realism!

Just look at this crazy creation of the "dark Japanese genius".
You still haven't seen this in Hoi, or even in World of Warships.
But this will be in the next version of Nick's Mod!
33945540.bmp
In 1941, the Japanese rebuilt their two trash cruisers into "torpedo" cruisers, carrying 40 torpedo tubes instead of artillery. o_O
Since the Japanese in my Mod will have unique racial oxygen imba-torpedoes, these two cruisers, after rebuilding, will have more Sea Attack than their old trash artillery have.
These two cruisers will initially have two fake brigades with zero stats.
Player can either remove these brigades, if he doesn't want to convert the cruisers into "torpedo" cruisers.
Or Player can historically upgrade these two fake brigades into full-fledged Long-Lance Torpedo Brigades and get 2 exclusive historical "torpedo" cruisers, with the better Sea Attack.
Upgrading of two fake-brigades in process...
33945824.bmp

Upgrade completed... Sea Attack +4 more, Sea Defence -2 (oxygen imba-torpedoes had an increased risk of deadly explosion under been fired by enemy ships).
33945850.bmp

Wow! Suddenly, "pumpkin turns into a carriage" and we see 3 green oxygen imba-torpedoes instead of fake blue brigades!
70-level Naval Magic! :D:D

33945883.bmp

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
The World sensation!
The main Event of 2021!

Even more Realism&Historisity in Hoi from Grandpa Nick ! :)

The newest Mod Update!

50 SHADES OF NAVAL MAGIC
-------------------------------------------------
September 2021
Mod Version 5.40, check summ WULC (You need to get true WULC check-sum, before to play!)
Download LEGAL CENSORED Mod version 5.40 (press button "Скачать")
Unzip it to your Darkest Hour\Mods folder
Made in English and Russian languages.
-------------------------------------------------

################################################################################################################
################################################################################################################
Shortly, the main revolutionary changes:

- 6 new types of sea brigades !

- 7 main naval Powers (UK/USA/JAP/GER/ITA/FRA/SOV) got their true unical racial Destroyers with realistic characteristics!

- New realistic mechanics of flexible control of warships parameters. Player can now quickly exchange the Cruising Range for Speed (for Destroyers) or for SeaDefence (for cruisers and battleships)!

- German and British battlecruisers/battleships now can flexible reduce their firing distance down to their heavy cruisers firing distance. (useful feature for multiplayer naval tactics!)

- Player as UK have ability to combine 20 obsolete/trash British light cruisers into 10 more stronger/useful units of 2 trash cruisers in each. (may be useful feature for multiplayer)

- Total rechecking/fixing of all warships of the main 7 countries, with wide and flexible use of new brigades.

All game-parameters of warships:

- SeaAttack
- SeaDefence
- Hit Points (based on SeaDefence, this aspect is used only in my Mod, not in Hoi-2/DH!)
- Organization (based on armoring)
- AirAttack (AA guns of each warship are carefully calculated and roughly estimated by strength)
- AirDefence (based on AirAttack and armoring)
- Speed (by the way, do you know that all ships in all Hoi2-based games move on Map at 55% of their max speed? ;))
- Daily Fuel Consumption (so, it should be recalculated exactly for 55% of max speed, for each ship. Difficult work.)
- Cruising Range (this also requires smart approach and much calculations)
- Number of crew (yes, the only easy parameter to find and set :))
- Supplyconsumption (based on number of crew)

...are not taken from the sky, but carefully investigated, calculated and correctly setted for each warship!

Undoubtly, this is the most high-quality, deep and accurate implementation of warships ever made in all Hoi-2/3/4/5 series!
All warships got the most correct/realistic characteristics.
35684513.bmp
(Then there will be boring text, wich can be interesting only for crazy fans of WW2 warships.)

The main concepts of implementing the real characteristics of warships in Hoi-2 game-characteristics:

The SeaAttack parameter in my Mod based on:

- average weight of the main guns broadside per minute (for big BB guns 356mm and over, fire rate is taken as const = 1.5 per/min)
- APC armor penetration
- APC Bursting Charge
- APC Muzzle Velocity
- sometimes the deterioration of guns and excessive shell dispersion are also taken into account

Undoubtedly, the Hoi-4 has much more potential for impleminting these warships characteristics, because there are separate parameters for Armor Penetration, separate parameters for the main and auxiliary Guns, and separate parameter for underwater attack.
But I tried to take into account and fit all these aspects into the compressed Hoi-2 format - in a single parameter wich we have in Hoi-2 - SeaAttack.
And since Hoi-4 still have not such crasy warship-fanatic-modder as Me :p, my implementation of the warship characteristics at this moment, no doubt, is the most accurate, careful and realistic in all Hoi-2/3/4/5 Universe, even despite that it made at more simplified Hoi-2 platform.
(I wrote this passage for random Hoi-4 players, in case if they suddenly read this. ;) Yes, I specially bought Hoi-4 this spring to check and make sure that all Hoi-4 Mods claiming to have realistic warships, still contain tons of epic fails in warships characteristics. :p

######

Well, so, here is the brilliant Nick's Formula for the systemic calculation of the SeaAttack parameter for Hoi-2 warships mechanics :)

For Battleships (cruisers have a bit different formula):

SeaAttack = Broadside per Minute/450kg +- Armor Penetration Bonus +- Bursting Charge Bonus +- Muzzle Velocity Bonus

- Armor Penetration Bonus is +-1 SeaAttack for each 25mm of Armor Penetration difference from 305mm (of WW2 British Armor) Penetration at 20km distance (i.e. 305mm AP = 0 Bonus)

- Bursting Charge Bonus is +-1 SeaAttack for each 3kg of Bursting Charge difference from 15kg Bursting Charge. (i.e. 15kg = 0 Bonus, 18kg = +1 SeaAttack)

- Muzzle Velocity basically, it is already taken into account in the Armor Penetration parameter. But nevertheless, in the case of difference from the average typical speed of 760-790mps, I give +-1 bonus for measuring "accuracy"/'flatness" of the shells trajectory.

For example, let's use this formula to calculate the SeaAttack of Colorado battleship in my Mod:

(8 guns x 1.5 fire rate x 1016kg shell)/450kg + 3 SeaAttack AP Bonus (375mm/20km AP, according Okun tables) + 0 Bonus for Bursting Charge (15kg) + 0 Bonus for Muzzle Velocity (770mps) = 12200/450 + 3 = 27+ 3 = 30 SeaAttack.

However, I have approached Realism/Historicity so carefully in many nuances, that you first have to replace old worn-out guns before your Colorado gets her true WW2-SeaAttack value:
35714628.bmp
Why there are taken exactly these values of the coefficients in formula?
Because I had to choose such values for the formula coefficients of SeaAttack and SeaDefense, so that they would give a logical realistic result - If the ship's guns can actually penetrate the main belt of their opponent by 20 km, then the game parameters of the SeaAttack should be higher than the enemy's SeaDefense, since in the Hoi-2 game mechanics, exceeding the SeaAttack over the SeaDefense gives an additional damage.
And I managed to achieve that in 95% of cases this logic is not violated! Which was not easy, given that the Hoi-2 does not have a separate "Armor Penetration" parameter.

For example, the main opponents of the Colorado - Japanese battleships have 26 (Fuso/Ise) and 27 (Nagato) SeaDefence.
Thus, Colorado in the game can "penetrate" her Japanese opponents, as it should be in reality.
On the other hand, Pennsylvania has 25 SeaAttack and does not "penetrate" the Japanese from 20 km. Everything looks quite realistic.

The only rough violation of realism in the penetration are the British battlecruisers Repulse and Renown.
They have large guns with high penetration, but they have only 6 of them. Therefore, their SeaAttack is lower than the opponents SeaDefense, although in reality they should penetrate them. And these two exceptions cannot be made correct in Hoi-2 mechanics without separate Armor penetration parameter.
But in other cases, I achieved realism not only in the common damage of warships, but also in their armor penetration.

#########################################################################

Well, let's now look at the calculation of the SeaDefense parameter.

SeaDefence parameter in my Mod based on:

- the thickness of the main armor belt. ( 25mm of Armor roughtly = 2 SeaDefence, but not always and not linearly!)
- the angle of the main armored belt. (Angle cofficient = 1/Cos(BeltAngle' + 14') - 0.03)
- effect of shell's tip destruction in some armoring schemes
- angled armored deck (this armor thickness summed with main armor belt with 1.0 coefficient)
- internal anti-shatter bulkheads (their thickness is summed with 0.5-0.7 coefficient)
- the quality of the belt armor. (it is used very rough, because I really do not have deep knowledge and info in this aspect. Roughly speaking, the armor of all old battleships before 1930 building, as well as the armor of all Japanese battleships, is multiplied by 0.9 koefficient in my Mod. British WW2 armor from Okun tables is taken as "standard" with 1.0 koeff)

In general, the calculation of SeaDefence is not as linear as the SeaAttack parameter - after evaluating the approximate equivalent thickness of the side armor, the SeaDefence parameter can be slightly adjusted according to the SeaAttack parameters of the main opponents of this warship, for better realism/historicity.

The Cruising Range parameter is obtained as a result of deep and time-consuming research and calculation.

The final estimated Cruising Range has been reduced for all ships by about 25%, this simulates the fuel consumption for doing their combat missions!

- Cruising Range of Cruisers = Max Cruising Range x 0.75 koeff

- Cruising Range of Destroyers = Max Cruising Range (no redusing koeff!)

(In my Mod conceptiion, additional 25% of Fuel for combat missions Destroyers take from their Battleships or Carriers in the open sea! I.e. Cruising Range of Battleships and Carriers calculated for 0.5-0.8 tons of Fuel less!)

- Cruising Range of Battleships = Max Cruising Range with redused at 0.5-0.8 tons Fuel capasity x 0.75 koeff

- Cruising Range of Carriers = Max Cruising Range with redused at 0.5-0.8 tons Fuel capasity x 0.70 koeff

Summary.

Undoubtedly, warship's Gurus can argue with this my concepts, because the theme of warships and their in-game implementation in general is very complex, debatable, subjective and can have different points of view.
Of course, I am open to criticism and comments from warships Gurus/Experts who can find and point out my possible mistakes and misconceptions.

But the main thing is that I created a Concept for simplified Hoi-2 Platform that more or less correctly takes into account all these many parameters of warships and according to which all warships in my Mod are calculated and setted, so warships parameters are not taken randomly from the sky, as in the other 99% of Hoi-cases.

Other descriptions of new mechanics of controlling warships parameters and description of new sea-brigades can be found in previous development diaries.

I remind that my gang of 3-5 old experienced Hoi-2 multiplayer veterans is interested in finding the same team of 3-5 experienced Hoi-2/DH/AOD multiplayer veterans for an exciting joint Game!

Me and my guys don't play primitive casual MP games.
We play only serious big smart MP Games, with carefully pre-game preparation (testing countries), Team Strategy, high-quality Multiplayer Rules, and finally only at high-quality Multiplayer Mods.

If you are interested in such MP Games - contact me! :)
Our MP Discord:
https://discord.gg/sP7rHmg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Last division in the Soviet Union file causes a crash. When I try to load it gets 95% of the and then hangs.
I didn't quite understand what is going on. Can you please send me your save file, before the crash?

No save file. Game did not load. Entry for last Soviet division was incomplete.
Hmm... just for clarification - after installing the Mod, do you got WULC check-sum ?

Last edited:
Started iut as FER. No decisions. Where is you decisions file?
Well, You necessarily need to get true WULC check-sum, before to play, otherwise it will be a defective unplayable bullshit.
I wrote you in private chat what to do.

Last edited: