• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for this i gonna try right away Stalin level ;-)

One question: before start the game as USSR i should leave the default settings on normal/normal ?
Yes, normal/normal.

In any case, I hope to get some feedback here, even if your first several attempts at the Stalin level will fail miserably. ))) :)

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Hi ! First of all thank you for you mod !
I have a little question, why is flensburg (above kiel) connected to Malmo (sweden) ? It seems far away on the map, is that a mistake or is there a specific reason behind that? :)

Hi ! First of all thank you for you mod !
I have a little question, why is flensburg (above kiel) connected to Malmo (sweden) ? It seems far away on the map, is that a mistake or is there a specific reason behind that? :)
Wow! Wow! You're incredibly attentive, it's almost impossible to notice! How did you manage it? :D

Yes, undoubtedly this was done on purpose, for the reason that probably my mod is the only Hoi game where Denmark in 1940 can be not only annexed as it is usually done in Hoi games (and that is absolutely not historical), but it can be made as "not-in-war-puppet" of Germany, according to real WW2 history. (and that's also useful for Germany because of decreasing number of beaches to defend)

Since in multiplayer games it makes sense to annex Sweden playing as Germany, I made this connection, it simulates the possibility of German troops attacking as "from subordinated Denmark" across the strait, without Denmark entering the war. Because in Hoi2 mechanics, unfortunately, it is impossible to attack from the territory of a country from which you have the right of military access.

By the way, the situation is about the same with Bulgaria and Greece. Bulgaria by fact was a "non-belligerent" ally of Germany before 1943, so I made one cheat "banned connection" in Greece, through which land supplies can go through friendly Bulgaria.

Last edited:
I invite everyone to visit the new test of the special super difficult single-regime USSR vs AI Germany! :D
This time, a casual player who is not a pro in Hoi2/DH will try to defeat Germany on the first difficulty level "Pioneer", starting from... May 30, 1941 and having professionally developed USSR (according to secret Nick's meta build-up!:))
Even the first difficulty level "Pioneer" is much more difficult than basic AI!
An unexpected surprises and pitfalls await the player even at the very first level of difficulty!
So the enemy's forces are equal - a beginner against a Pioneer! It's going to be a hot, unpredictable fight! :D
Support our humankind guy in the fight against the cheating stone with your wise advice in the chat! (Stream will be in Russian, but the Streamer can react on your camments in English!)
----------------------
The stream will take place today, December 6 at 15.00 GMT !
----------------------
Subscribe to the Stream here:

I was looking at the map trying to understand why Norway has some provinces with movement blocked by ennemy fleet (which I assume is because the road in these province are close to the sea and it is impossible to use it if ennemy has naval superiority). I checked if it was the case somewhere else ^^
Now i checked the files and saw that bulgaria has something similar too :)

I use a mod which put terrain on political map so i can see your changes of terrain in game and I was a bit surprised to see Normandy (Falaise for instance) as plain when historically allies gad hard time in the "bocage normand" which was thick trees and bush between opens fields.

I really like your changes for terrain and some gameplay options too ! (very appreciated), I'm always impressed by the amount of work put in it.I hope to join a multiplayer someday, I'm sadly not really available these times

• 1Like
Reactions:
I use a mod which put terrain on political map so i can see your changes of terrain in game and I was a bit surprised to see Normandy (Falaise for instance) as plain when historically allies gad hard time in the "bocage normand" which was thick trees and bush between opens fields.

"So many veterans, U.S. soldiers who had to fight in that hedgerow country, have said, in so many words: “God almighty, yes, we knew there were hedgerows there. We had no idea there were sunken rows between those hedgerows, that the Germans had a massive trench system ready built for them."

That's a good note. It seems to me that there is not enough forest in this region to make this area as a true "forest".
After all, there are belt of trees in the picture of the "plains". This is the problem of Hoi2 that bare steppes and plains with forest belts are not divided into two types of terrain.

I usually look at Google maps and in my understanding of forests, this is such a density of forest, which is located, for example, north of Moscow or between Orleans and Bourges.
Yes, I know that in 80 years a lot of forests have been cut down and today there are many bare spaces on earth that used to be forests 80 years ago, I always keep this in mind.
What I see now on Google maps in Falaise is clearly not enough for the "forest", but may be you know there were more forest 80 years ago?

Hmm... I have alternative idea - what if to implement a hedge fences as a "land fortification", it seems more logical and correct. Interesting. Perhaps it is worth making land fortifications in Normandy, for example, of the 2-nd (or what) level, which will mean a hedge fences. In which provinces?

Last edited:
Not sure about how it was 80 years ago, i went to Falaise and it's true it doesn't look like true forest and the terrain seperation in DH is not as good as we could expect it to be when we want more depth for realism.

About fortifications idea it's a good one, i think Caen should have it. I know a few modifiers exists in misc.txt about fortifications and I think this could be used to point the difference between fortifications used to describe terrain and... real fortifications like for instance maginot lines which includes artillery positions, underground bunker (bonus should be higher logically). If I remember correctly there is a way to reduce org damage taken by your units when Fort is above X value. Maybe playing with that can help to not mix up too much natural fortifications and artificial ones.
Another idea could be the use of events to simulate attritions of the fighting in the bocage. If GER hold A province (Falaise for example) and allies B province (Caen) then unit in province A take 5%dmg (or more !) each 2 or X months.

Reactions:
Yeah, there are no problems... until June 1941. :D
It is not necessary to choose the Stalin level for the first attempt, the Stalin level is absolutely deadly. I recomment first try something simpler levels to find the strategy and tactics of victory.

----
By the way, I have started working on the same kind of SP challenge for playing as... Britain.
Strangely enough, this task seemed to me the most feasible. Although, of course, it is a much more difficult to realise than creating difficulty levels for the USSR.
Because there are many fronts and there is a war at sea. I have a lot of work and testing to try to anticipate and neutralize all possible player's abuses against AI. But it's very interesting.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
All went normal until august 1940. Then Germany declared war on me. I think this mess up some events. Because no event trigger untill Jan 41 where i could choice Stalin level. Also other events like "airplanes destroyed" was triggered in jan 41. While the war was already so 5 months underway.

Or is this normal? I didnt do anything abnormal which could trigger Germany to declare war on me so early.

All went normal until august 1940. Then Germany declared war on me. I think this mess up some events. Because no event trigger untill Jan 41 where i could choice Stalin level. Also other events like "airplanes destroyed" was triggered in jan 41. While the war was already so 5 months underway.

Or is this normal? I didnt do anything abnormal which could trigger Germany to declare war on me so early.
Damn. :( I am aware of this risk. It appears if AI Germany think that the USSR is too weak and the AI decides to take advantage of it. I also encountered the same problem once during my tests and therfore I tried to edit the AI files to prevent this.
I am upset that this has happened again, which means I have not been able to fully solve this problem.
Thanks for the feedback, I will need to think again about how to eliminate this risk.

I suggest you now download any last USSR's save as Germany in wich it is not yet terminated the peace treaty with the USSR and yet it is not war.
And throw all German divisions into redeployment away from the borders of the USSR, for example, on the borders of Yugoslavia and Greece, which Germany should logically to invide.
And without letting go of the pause, save this save as Germany. And then download this new save again as USSR.
I hope this will confuse Germany's intentions to attack the USSR and AI will do what it has to do - attack Yugoslavia/Greece.
At least in that my same case, that's how I solved this problem when Germany unexpectedly attacked me in 1940.

It may also be worth putting all Soviet divisions from the pool on the map closer to the border regions to scare the German AI, although I'm not sure if the AI knows how to account for divisions in the pool or not.
(In general, I know that AI Japan sometimes can attack the USSR if there are no Soviet divisions in the Far East and does not attack USSR if there are a certain number of divisions there. Perhaps this way it also works with German AI?)
Also a question - did you disband the Soviet infantry divisions in 1936?

If somebody of the modders alredy solved such a problem, I would be glad to hear what needs to be changed in the AI files so that AI Germany would not attack the USSR in 1940.

Because no event trigger untill Jan 41 where i could choice Stalin level. Also other events like "airplanes destroyed" was triggered in jan 41. While the war was already so 5 months underway.
By the way, this means that I have to make events be able to active not from 1941, but from 1940. Then at least the difficulty levels can be chosen even with an abnormally early German attack in 1940. For unknown reason it did not occur to me that these events might be needed before 1941. :D
Although I would still like to completely eliminate such a risk of early German attack.

Last edited:
I suggest you now download any last USSR's save as Germany in wich it is not yet terminated the peace treaty with the USSR and yet it is not war.
And throw all German divisions into redeployment away from the borders of the USSR, for example, on the borders of Yugoslavia and Greece, which Germany should logically to invide.
And without letting go of the pause, save this save as Germany. And then download this new save again as USSR.
I hope this will confuse Germany's intentions to attack the USSR and AI will do what it has to do - attack Yugoslavia/Greece.
At least in that my same case, that's how I solved this problem when Germany unexpectedly attacked me in 1940.
I did your suggestion and it works. Now on 2 juni 1941 Germany declares war on me and i could choice difficult level at the start. I choice Communist. Maybe Stalin level is too hard and im a bit afraid haha.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I choice Communist. Maybe Stalin level is too hard and im a bit afraid haha.
In fact, Сommunist level also is extremly difficult. :D
The first two levels are more suitable for the first attempt. You are extremely brave if you are trying the penultimate level at your first trying. :D

Picture says it all. Looks like the real thing in 41. Defending hard and lose lot of man.... Great mod :)
ussr.jpg

Picture says it all. Looks like the real thing in 41. Defending hard and lose lot of man.... Great mod :)
Looks like it's worth to begin with first two difficulty levels for the first attemps. Even the initial difficulty levels are quite hard.

If this ai is really good could it be used for other mods? Like all in one or edge of darkness? Do you have a similar strong soviet ai in store?
AI cannot be improved by soft-modding. AI still is just as dumb and hopeless as anywhere else.
The difficulty of the levels for the single-player regime in my Mod is achieved by AI Units boosting in power and in their number, player's Units nerfing, and by making many of special events that counter all the possible player's abuses and add additional AI boosting during the game progresses.
This is the only way to make the game against dumb AI really very difficult and interesting for the player and make him sweet.

Therefore, such way of AI boosting is not universal, it can be made only specifically for each specific mod and for each specific AI country.

As I wrote above, I am currently working on super-difficult levels for SP playing as Britain, it means, for really difficult SP game as some country, you need to make each time new unique events that will counter the player's abuses and boost the opponent's AI even for the same Mod.

Last edited: