• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
speaking of fisheries, I wonder how deep sea fishing will be represented, or if it will at all. economic exploitation of the high seas (i.e. those owned by no nation) has always been a source of conflict but high seas law establishing neutrality on the high seas, i.e. no attacks during war and free right to fish on high seas, has been accepted international custom for centuries and was really well defined in the 1800s.
however I'm not sure how they would actually portray your fleets fishing in the middle of the ocean since it seems economic exploitation only occurs in your own territory

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also, does the nerve of Paradox know no bounds!? They changed fishermen from farmers to labourers! Dumbing it down for the casuals as usual.
Well with trawlers they are kinda mining the sea for fish ore, and taking only the famous types of fish and throw the rest back as dead trashfish.
Once forshfarming takes over, im sure youll need farmers. So best not use fish until fishfarming is available. Around near the end..

So are 9 fish really worth 1 clipper? Labour? Hmm.. harder question. On one hand trawlers probly use less labor but the indiscriminate catchings require more cleaners, packers etc. Boy would artificial ice come useful here.. :p

speaking of fisheries, I wonder how deep sea fishing will be represented, or if it will at all. economic exploitation of the high seas (i.e. those owned by no nation) has always been a source of conflict but high seas law establishing neutrality on the high seas, i.e. no attacks during war and free right to fish on high seas, has been accepted international custom for centuries and was really well defined in the 1800s.
however I'm not sure how they would actually portray your fleets fishing in the middle of the ocean since it seems economic exploitation only occurs in your own territory
Or command brown & green fleets with a task to protect god-ordained holy sea borders. And shared waterbodies having more of a combined catchables. So whoever is the most dominant gets the biggest catch, maybe even ban neighbours entirely from fishing in shared waters. Not terribly unlike laws of the lion king jungle.. no space or mercy for the hyenas!

Anyways for a long time the national waters was something along the range of a nonrifled cannonball. Later rifling moved in, but still just about 5 miles. Which should stop aboslutely no one from enforcing MORE.

I’ll take a wild guess that your fishing boats will set sail from a port, and it will be ambiguous where exactly they go. In wartime, presumably an enemy fleet will shut them down. But maybe over-fishing will be in the game.

Or command brown & green fleets with a task to protect god-ordained holy sea borders. And shared waterbodies having more of a combined catchables. So whoever is the most dominant gets the biggest catch, maybe even ban neighbours entirely from fishing in shared waters. Not terribly unlike laws of the lion king jungle.. no space or mercy for the hyenas!

Anyways for a long time the national waters was something along the range of a nonrifled cannonball. Later rifling moved in, but still just about 5 miles. Which should stop aboslutely no one from enforcing MORE.
yeah, territorial waters weren't defined until the mid-1900s. so you could have stuff about that if Paradox wanted to get very granular
also there weren't solid rules on other waters such as between nations (for example, the Great Lakes) so it could be cool to have gunboats there if the U.S. and Canada fight. there are a lot of fun possibilities with international waters but again I'm not sure how in-depth Paradox will want to be! I doubt they will let us restrict nations from using our coastlines or something like that, though it would be some fun posturing

• 1Like
Reactions:
I bet within a week of release someone will have made an entire whale based economy and hunted more whales than there were on the planet.
I mean it's not too much of a stretch to roleplay North East United states as a full on whale economy. More votes to the Moby Dickists this election, please.