New Primitives Gameplay without completely new mechanics

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh I found it

I guess it was actually Tumbes, not Lima

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have a lot of suggestions for American religions.

The first thing is that there should not be any relations modifiers (positive or negative) nor any conversion of provinces between ANY pagan religions, nor should having a different pagan religion present in your empire contribute to negative religious unity. Proselytization and the entire concept of a defined "religion" does not exist in these traditions and is completely misplaced. Yes, people had vague ideas about the neighboring peoples having barbaric ways or whatever, but that does not apply when the religions we are using cover such huge chunks of the map. People in every province of the Aztec Empire thought the next province over were barbarians. Maybe we could add in an option to unlock conversion with religious ideas or some sort of reform path, but it definitely should not be the default.

Okay, with that out of the way, I can get down to individual religions. First, I advocate for making a few entirely new religions: Shamanism (to replace all the animist provinces in the Americas, separating them from Asia), Sacra/Sacraism (to cover everything in the US east of the Rocky Mountains, sacra being a term for religious symbol basically), and Chiminigagua (to cover Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela outside of the Llanos, potentially also Costa Rica and Panama - this would represent the civilizations of the Isthmo-Colombian area, especially the Muisca). If we ever add Taino nations (which we should, specifically the five chiefdoms of Hispaniola), we should also add Zemi/Zemism, or give them a slightly unique version of Chiminigagua.

Shamanism should get a straight forward system similar to Hinduism, where you pick a certain "spirit" that gives you distinct bonuses. In addition, Shamanist countries will get insane military bonuses for defensive battles in the terrain of their capitals. This is to buff the tribes like Chichimecs, Wayuu, Charrua, Guaranis etc. that were really a significant threat to early colonial societies. I mean, these people were just very in tune with their surrounding environment and were able to use it to their advantage to make it impenetrable to Europeans. If you don't believe me, look up the Chichimec War, or the Guaycuru, or the Guayuu. In addition, this mechanic will reflect nicely that native religions tend to focus attention on sacred places and sacred landscapes as living organisms, really the essence of animistic traditions.

Sacra will have a slider mechanic (really creative, yes I know) between communalism and centralism. Communalism increases slightly every year (due to the Green Corn ceremony) and raises autonomy. Centralism increases with prestige, power projection and low autonomy, and lowers autonomy, reduces coring cost, and increases the number of states available. This might sound a bit OP, and I mainly designed it with Mississippian polities in mind, as I hope that we could see them represented in the game eventually - they would start the game as small chiefdoms, but would have to weather first famines and then later pandemics introduced by Europeans, which would drastically throw the slider towards communalism. Once full communalism is reached, the chiefdom transforms into a tribe. The way to ensure survival of the Mississippian way of life is to build a strong empire. Another quirk is that advisors die when your ruler dies.

Chiminigagua (the name for the supreme god of the Muisca people) will also have a slider, that works a different way, between masculine and feminine (or Sue and Chia). Instead of trying to always concentrate on one side, you want to alternate for the best possible affect to be able to go through cycles of conquest and consolidation. You can perform ceremonies to go either way. Masculine helps you gain prestige and manpower, while feminine reduces coring cost, autonomy, and makes development cheaper. The most interesting part is that the Muisca Confederation was actually split into two rival states, Bacata and Hunza. Bacata was associated with the feminine moon cult and Hunza with the masculine sun cult. Thus, focusing attention on either side too long will increase the influence of that state in the confederation, and could either spell conflict or hegemony.

Zemi would be very similar to Chiminigagua with slightly different effects. Masculine reduces development cost and increases manpower and feminine has split effects: increased trade efficiency/range and naval movement speed during peace, and naval military bonuses during war. This would set any Taino state up for an interesting potential as a thalassocracy. Zemi religion also unlocks the ancestor worship ability, which gives a ruler a chance to increase their MP stats.

Then, for existing religions:
Please, please, please rename Nahuatl and Inti. Please. Nahuatl is a language, in fact it's the language of the Aztecs who make up a minority of the adherents of this religion. It was not even a sacred language or anything. It's the equivalent to calling Catholicism "Italiano". It's so misguided. As for Inti, Inti is one of the many gods of the Andean region. The Incas adopted him as their imperial god and tried to convert everyone else to him. So many other states had alternate gods. It's the equivalent to calling Hinduism "Vishnu".

The names I propose instead are Teotl and Huaca/Huacaism respectively, they are much more inclusive. Teotl is sort of the Mesoamerican concept of god, or rather the spiritual energy moving in all things. Notably Motecuzoma is said to have described the conquistadors as "teotl", by which some think he just meant mysterious or unexplainable but it was interpreted as god. Huacas are Andean spirits or idols, especially those that dwell in landscapes.

I also think that having separate Mayan and Nahuatl/Teotl as separate is not necessary, but I can kind of see it given the doom mechanic (which I actually think should stay). Personally I would just have doom apply to Central Mexican and Purepecha cultures, but it's not that important of a thing and I'm sure the developers like to have it separate for simplicity. But Huastecs should not be counted as Mayan.

For all three religions (Teotl, Mayan and Huacaism), there is something major in common. Choosing a deity to promote as the "imperial cult" and then converting other provinces to that cult, including provinces of any other religion, which retain their own religion, but also worship your deity. Ideally these could even keep track of deities in other religions (including Hinduism, potentially), so that it's easier to convert a province that already worships a sun god from another religion to your own sun god. You can then organize festivals for your deity at a cost of a month's tax income and the trade production of fine goods like silk, dyes, and precious metals, which then increases your "authority" based on how many provinces total in your country worship your deity (not a percentage like religious unity). Increasing your authority is how you access the benefits of your chosen deity. Huacaism has a couple of unique abilities accessed by spending authority, namely mit'a (free point of development in any province) and mitma (a very quick assimilation in culture and religion of any province of the same terrain as your capital). Still working on ideas for authority abilities for Mesoamericans to keep it balanced.

Huacaism also provides administrative benefits to provinces of the same terrain as your capital - easier conversion, lower autonomy, and reduced coring cost. However, for provinces of radically different terrain, the opposites are true. For instance, as the Incas, you would get major benefits to mountain provinces, but major minuses to, say, jungle, desert or glacial provinces. This would reflect both the tendancy of Andean peoples to focus on specific landscapes, and also the unique spread and administrative systems that their empires had.

Technically speaking, Shamanism applies more to the Finnish pagans (though they have their own religion, so maybe just use a different name than Shamanism). For some of the of North American (and maybe South American) native religions, maybe something similar to Tengri's mechanic of syncretism would be pretty useful and allow for alot of opportuities to mix and match.

I do like the name change ideas regarding Huacism and Teotl (Teotlism?) though trying to keep things relatively simple would be a good way to go. Imperial cult thing could work and it'd be interesting to see that. I cannot speak for the others though they do look quite nice!

As for proselytization, I could see the indigenous Americas having this as they get "westernized", albeit as a way of cultural assertation against the hostile invasive influences. So maybe the ability of conversion can be a choice of sorts. After all, religion is a part of culture and culture is a large part in politics, so we cannot ignore that. Granted, like I said, I am not that well aware.

I think the only religions that did not really have proselytization (and correct me if I'm wrong) was Zoroastrianism and SIkhism (which in all hinesty, both of them can use some more buffs and if we get rid of proselytization for them, we need to replace it with a mechanic that would achieve similar results of converting others. Maybe a high chance of people switching to the faith in your provinces?)

I think the only religions that did not really have proselytization (and correct me if I'm wrong) was Zoroastrianism and Sikhism (which in all hinesty, both of them can use some more buffs and if we get rid of proselytization for them, we need to replace it with a mechanic that would achieve similar results of converting others. Maybe a high chance of people switching to the faith in your provinces?)

Judaism, several small traditions in the Middle East that say they are Islamic but are really something else, Jainism, Hinduism (except for modern organizations like Hare Krishna). Zoroastrianism did proselytize, as it was the state religion of many Iranian empires, it spread to the Caucasus and even to China at one point. The idea that it doesn't is because most present day Zoroastrians belong to the Parsi community in India who don't. But they are only a section of the religion and do not represent it as a whole.

Pagan (or animist) religions, by and large, do not convert. It just doesn't apply to those cultures. Most of the time they have no concept of "religion" like we do, where religion is a distinct part of life separate from secular affairs, and is based on faith and belief. Instead, these are basically the general understandings of a given community of the environment around them as they have evolved over time. The idea that there is a "one and only true faith" is something that evolved really mostly just in the Middle East and spread to the rest of the world, it did not always exist. Other areas did not happen to innovate that idea.

Here's an analogy: you speak English. You like speaking English. It works well for you. You have experienced really amazing things through the medium of English, and you have used it to accomplish many things. Should everybody in the world speak English? Some will say yes, but most people will think the idea is ridiculous, because everybody in the world has a different way of experience and expression according to their language.

Mesoamerica and pre-columbian Andes are no exception here. The Aztec and Inca Empires made very real efforts to spread their deities as far as possible, but that was the extent of it. They did not attempt to modify their subject peoples' actual spiritual or belief systems (beyond trying to make people assimilate in general), because there was never any stipulation that the belief system was universal. As long as they adopted a particular god and a few rituals they were fine.

Shamanism should get a straight forward system similar to Hinduism, where you pick a certain "spirit" that gives you distinct bonuses. In addition, Shamanist countries will get insane military bonuses for defensive battles in the terrain of their capitals. This is to buff the tribes like Chichimecs, Wayuu, Charrua, Guaranis etc. that were really a significant threat to early colonial societies. I mean, these people were just very in tune with their surrounding environment and were able to use it to their advantage to make it impenetrable to Europeans. If you don't believe me, look up the Chichimec War, or the Guaycuru, or the Guayuu. In addition, this mechanic will reflect nicely that native religions tend to focus attention on sacred places and sacred landscapes as living organisms, really the essence of animistic traditions.
I understand the feeling that "Animism" should not be a world spanning religion. However, also other parts of the world had "shamans", so reserving the name for south-america would be moot. If you read my suggestion you will find, that I actually propose to give them a mechanic based on "spirits".
Sacra will have a slider mechanic (really creative, yes I know) between communalism and centralism. Communalism increases slightly every year (due to the Green Corn ceremony) and raises autonomy. Centralism increases with prestige, power projection and low autonomy, and lowers autonomy, reduces coring cost, and increases the number of states available. This might sound a bit OP, and I mainly designed it with Mississippian polities in mind, as I hope that we could see them represented in the game eventually - they would start the game as small chiefdoms, but would have to weather first famines and then later pandemics introduced by Europeans, which would drastically throw the slider towards communalism. Once full communalism is reached, the chiefdom transforms into a tribe. The way to ensure survival of the Mississippian way of life is to build a strong empire. Another quirk is that advisors die when your ruler dies.
I would love to give the mississippian and pueblo civilisations their own tech group, religion and religious reform path. In my proposal on an expanded technology ladder I already kind of put them in between the north-american tribes and the meso-american civilisation. I will have to think about this a bit more, though, since there is not much that we actually know about them. It seems european arrival had especially dire consequences for them as a few years after contact they were essentially gone from the map. If it was due to internal strive, a devastating flood or simply european deseases is not fuly understood. If you could hint me to more information on them, that would be very helpful.
Chiminigagua (the name for the supreme god of the Muisca people) will also have a slider, that works a different way, between masculine and feminine (or Sue and Chia). Instead of trying to always concentrate on one side, you want to alternate for the best possible affect to be able to go through cycles of conquest and consolidation. You can perform ceremonies to go either way. Masculine helps you gain prestige and manpower, while feminine reduces coring cost, autonomy, and makes development cheaper. The most interesting part is that the Muisca Confederation was actually split into two rival states, Bacata and Hunza. Bacata was associated with the feminine moon cult and Hunza with the masculine sun cult. Thus, focusing attention on either side too long will increase the influence of that state in the confederation, and could either spell conflict or hegemony.
Currently the Muisca are Inti and I kind of believe that would be fitting giving the new religious mechanics that I propose: They would have access to a sun god and a moon goddess, so there's that. Sure, these gods would have the quechua names but that's just names, maybe they could be changed according to culture?
Zemi would be very similar to Chiminigagua with slightly different effects. Masculine reduces development cost and increases manpower and feminine has split effects: increased trade efficiency/range and naval movement speed during peace, and naval military bonuses during war. This would set any Taino state up for an interesting potential as a thalassocracy. Zemi religion also unlocks the ancestor worship ability, which gives a ruler a chance to increase their MP stats.
I feel this would be covered by the Anismism mechanic that I propose.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is actually an excellent, excellent idea. You got it quite right that the current system is Eurocentric (the whole game is), in addition to being frankly uncreative and unenjoyable. In real life, there was nothing inherent beyond metal weapons/armor, horses and large ships that really separated Americans from Europeans at the time of contact. They certainly were not primitive and I cringe every time I see that one of the reforms for Mesoamericans and Andeans is "tribal expansion". If the point of the game is to allow a skillful player to "change history", there should absolutely be better ways to play as Mesoamericans or others.

Therefore I think "metal weaponry", "horses", and "navy" would be excellent institutions to add. They gave Europeans a distinct upper hand and completely revolutionized warfare in the continent. Horses also made the Plains tribes and the Guaycuru really formidable. I say "metal weaponry" and not "metallurgy" because metallurgy was already widespread throughout western South America and in parts of Mexico, and I do think navy is important to add, at least for Mesoamerica. Native peoples did make long journeys, but it doesn't seem like they have had any naval warfare or large trade fleets or anything. Mainly their ships were small scale rafts made for trading. South America is a bit more unclear, because apparently one of the Sapa Incas made it to either Rapa Nui or the Galapagos, and descriptions attest to "ships in the harbor" of present day Lima before the pandemics took hold.

These institutions would be fully embraced by the old world, and would start spreading anytime an old world state moves personnel to a province in the Americas. They would probably have to spread especially slowly.

Not sure about "agriculture" as an institution. Perhaps instead of this, we can just represent a difference between sedentary and nomadic peoples, although I don't even know if that's necessary. "Writing" is not necessary, I feel. Writing doesn't really determine how well an empire will be able to adminster and exert influence. It's not a cultural universal. Societies that lacked institutional writing found alternatives.

We still do need a way for tribes to become states proper, I think. But it shouldn't be through westernizing.
Having so many new "institutions" would take forever to embrace and/or lead to comical results re "dev-pushed" provinces. In my suggestions therefore I model most of theses as additional technologies (see "extended technology ladder"). I disagree on the usefulness/necessity of "writing" as an istitution, actually this is the only one new institution I would like to add. I think of is as an "writing and numeral system" and yes, well, this doesn't need to look or function like the systems adopted in Europe. E.g. the Inca used "Quipu", strings of knots, to account, register and some think also to record stories (however, the technology has been lost after european arrival). In my view that would also be a "writing and numeral system" (which I call "Script" for shortness sake). Skript in fact is something that is essintial for building an empire - think taxes, registring of inventory, legal code, history, astronomy, etc. etc. pp.

New Mississippean Tech Group & Two New Religions
I propose to add a new "Mississippean" technology group, which would encompass the tribes in southern North-America. The peoples of the Mississippi and the Colorado Plateau (e.g. the Pueblo) had a settled lifestyle, building cities and living of farming, predominantly maize/corn, differentianting them from the tribes further to the north. Hence I propose to let them start with tech level -3 (see my suggestion on an extended tech ladder). Their religions had some pointed similarities to the Aztecs/Mayans and would not generally fit the label "totemism". Alternatively, we could have two tech groups: an aridoamerican tech group (Rio Grande and California Regions) and a mississipian tech group (Mississippi and South-East Regions).

The mississipian culture and the "Southern Ceremonial Complex"

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_culture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Ceremonial_Complex
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Corn-Mother

I propose to add a new religion, followed by the tribes of the Mississippi: "Red Horn" (in reference to the Red Horn Mythic Cycle)

S.E.C.C. iconography portrayed the cosmos in three levels. The Above World or Overworld, was the home of the Thunderers, the Sun, Moon, and Morning Star or Red Horn / "He Who Wears Human Heads For Earrings" and represented Order and Stability. The Middle World was the Earth that humans live in. The Beneath World or Under World was a cold, dark place of Chaos that was home to the Underwater Panther and Corn Mother or "Old Woman Who Never Dies".

These three worlds were connected by an axis mundi, usually portrayed as a cedar tree or a striped pole reaching from the Under World to the Over World. Each of the three levels also was believed to have its own sub-levels. Deeply ingrained in the world view was the concept of duality and opposition. The beings of the Upper and Under realms were in constant opposition to each other. Ritual and ceremony were the means by which these powerful forces could be accessed and harnessed.

1590260189475.png

(proposed symbol of the Red Horn religion)

It would employ the reformed "fervor" mechanic with three fervent foci:

• Bird Man - representing the upper world: +2.5% discipline, -10% stability cost
1590261341459.png

• Horned Serpent/Underwater Panter - representing the under world: +7.5% moral of armies, +5 settlers
1590261313806.png

• Corn Mother - representing the human world: +10% tax, -0.1 devastation
[no picture yet]

The Pueblo civilisation and "Kachina"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puebloans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kachina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Grandmother
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopi_mythology
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/CS/CSFourCreations.html

In Native communities of the Southwest's belief system, the archetypal deities appear as visionary beings who bring blessings and receive love. A vast collection of religious stories explore the relationships among people and nature, including plants and animals. Spider Grandmother and kachina spirits figure prominently in some myths. The Pueblos' belief system is based in dualism. Their creation story recounts the emergence of the people from underwater. The kachina concept has three different aspects: the supernatural being, the kachina dancers, and kachina dolls. The most important Hopi kachinas are known as wuya. In Hopi, the term wuya often refers to the spiritual beings themselves (said to be connected with the Fifth World, Taalawsohu), the dolls, or the people who dress as kachinas for ceremonial dances. These are all understood to embody all aspects of the same belief system.

1590266647636.png

(proposed symbol of the Kachina religion)

This religion uses the hindu gods mechanic:
  • Taiowa / Tawa - sun spirit and creator: -10% stability cost, -2 unrest
  • Sotuknang - newpew of Taiowa, tasked with creating the world : -5% development cost, +10 Settlers
  • Spider Grandmother - messenger, helps humans: +10% production efficiency, -0.2 devastation
  • Masauwu (Skeleton man) - Spirit of Death, Earth God, door keeper to the Fifth World, and the Keeper of Fire: -10% shock damage received, +5% morale
  • Pahana (lost white brother): -10% institution embracement cost, +10% institution spread
These gods would be represented by kachina pictures most appropriate to them:
1590267528629.png

Proposed reform path for the "Mississippean Technology group"

Their religious reform path would center around expanding (preferably by colonisation) to e.g. 7 procinces. Then when they reform they would loose all provinces bar their capital province. If theres a foreign core, this nation will be released. If there's no foreign core, the province will return to being "uncolonized". Their capital province gets 50% devastation. This needs to be repeated 5 times to fully "reform religion".

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Having so many new "institutions" would take forever to embrace and/or lead to comical results re "dev-pushed" provinces. In my suggestions therefore I model most of theses as additional technologies (see "extended technology ladder").
The thing is that your proposal of limiting admin point acquisition will probably produce weird effects in being behind, and will still force any serious native game to be dependent on bordering Europeans to reform their religion and acquire horses/cavalry/cannons/ships. Perhaps because these three institutions are such a unique case, we can make them especially cheap or even free to embrace.

And while I'm on this, I'm open to your idea about them being available just whenever you border a province with them, but there are two problems - 1, that isn't historical (plains tribes of Indians adopted horses because horses escaped from colonists elsewhere and eventually spread, and ships spread through bodies of water not through land) or good for gameplay (if you have to let yourself get bordered by a European power, even if you do adopt this stuff it's going to be hard to progress from there) - 2, not sure that the devs will be willing to write up this new mechanic. Frankly it would be simpler to just frame these things as institutions, and it will also represent the spread through provinces, allowing native countries to adopt them a bit before Europeans start bordering them.

I disagree on the usefulness/necessity of "writing" as an istitution, actually this is the only one new institution I would like to add. I think of is as an "writing and numeral system" and yes, well, this doesn't need to look or function like the systems adopted in Europe. E.g. the Inca used "Quipu", strings of knots, to account, register and some think also to record stories (however, the technology has been lost after european arrival). In my view that would also be a "writing and numeral system" (which I call "Script" for shortness sake). Skript in fact is something that is essintial for building an empire - think taxes, registring of inventory, legal code, history, astronomy, etc. etc.
Yes, quipu was their equivalent to writing. Communication/records system will naturally arise if there is a need, and it's a rather abstract need. Horses, iron weapons and ships are not abstract. They are a very cut and dry strong advantage. In fact if you think about it, writing as we know it is a pretty distinctly Eurasian thing, not a universal. I agree that writing/equivalents bring advantages, but I think it's very hard to justify choosing specific areas that don't have it, whereas others are quite easy. It's very hard to say "yes, this society has a developed system of symbolic communication, but this one next to them doesn't".

PLUS, probably the most important of all, as an institution you're saying that it can't ever be invented more than once, it has to spread all over the world from one point. That works well enough for all the current institutions, but if we agree that this potential institution represents writing and all its equivalents, which is basically just any state/civilization's capacity to deal effectively with administrative challenges, that becomes a problem. Because civilizations develop that by themselves, it doesn't come from somewhere else. I think it is already covered under advancing in admin tech and even in reforming.

I also don't really agree with the "Classical Civilization" institution, I don't think there's really any reason for it to be there.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I propose to add a new "Mississippean" technology group, which would encompass the tribes in southern North-America. The peoples of the Mississippi and the Colorado Plateau (e.g. the Pueblo) had a settled lifestyle, building cities and living of farming, predominantly maize/corn, differentiating them from the tribes further to the north. Their religions had some pointed similarities to the Aztecs/Mayans and would not generally fit the label "totemism".
Good idea, we should add the tech groups and religions for Puebloan and Mississippian peoples, because they had really cool cultures that don't get showcased. Lots of other spots around the Americas, including Amazonia, Colombia, Costa Rica, and the Caribbean also have this, but these guys are well known because their territory now lies within the US lol.

One thing though - the new Mississippian religion should apply to all peoples of the eastern US, not just the southern portions that were still considered "Mississippian" at that time. The northern half had abandoned their urban centers and priesthood and switched to a more "tribal" lifestyle, and the northernmost and easternmost peoples had never been included in the Mississippi system at all, but their religious systems and mythologies are actually generally "the same" (in fact it's a spectrum, but it's certainly justifiable to call them all one religion. Look at that Southeastern Ceremonial Complex wiki page and see the section about the two versions of the underworld deities, and you'll see that they're present among a plethora of peoples more to the north of the Mississippians, in fact the two versions don't have any geographical basis, it's all intermixed throughout the whole region. Your proposed mechanics just concern the deities, not the priesthood or anything, and are in fact the very deities I'm talking about.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The thing is that your proposal of limiting admin point acquisition will probably produce weird effects in being behind, and will still force any serious native game to be dependent on bordering Europeans to reform their religion and acquire horses/cavalry/cannons/ships. Perhaps because these three institutions are such a unique case, we can make them especially cheap or even free to embrace.
I really made two distinct suggestions here: one on the first page (limiting monarch points, maybe new institution "classical civilisation", a bunch of triggered modifiers for ships etc.) and one on the second page (because I see the limitations of the first approach, this is about extending the tech ladder to -5 and introducing an institution "script", a triggered modifier for horses - this is my preferred approach).

Look up this threadmark or go to the first page - threadmarks - reader mode, this will omly display all post marked as a threadmark.
And while I'm on this, I'm open to your idea about them being available just whenever you border a province with them, but there are two problems - 1, that isn't historical (plains tribes of Indians adopted horses because horses escaped from colonists elsewhere and eventually spread, and ships spread through bodies of water not through land) or good for gameplay (if you have to let yourself get bordered by a European power, even if you do adopt this stuff it's going to be hard to progress from there) - 2, not sure that the devs will be willing to write up this new mechanic. Frankly it would be simpler to just frame these things as institutions, and it will also represent the spread through provinces, allowing native countries to adopt them a bit before Europeans start bordering them.
page 1 suggestion: safe "horses" these do not depend on neighbouring a european, an alternative way of triggering them would be through owning and developping provinces with specific trade goods.

page 2 suggestion: this goes only for horses, the rest ist modelled via an extended tech ladder.
Yes, quipu was their equivalent to writing. Communication/records system will naturally arise if there is a need, and it's a rather abstract need. Horses, iron weapons and ships are not abstract. They are a very cut and dry strong advantage. In fact if you think about it, writing as we know it is a pretty distinctly Eurasian thing, not a universal. I agree that writing/equivalents bring advantages, but I think it's very hard to justify choosing specific areas that don't have it, whereas others are quite easy. It's very hard to say "yes, this society has a developed system of symbolic communication, but this one next to them doesn't".
There's a whole body of science concerning the world's writing systems. Writing indeed probably was invented in different places in parallel, and one can classify writing systems in "more useful" and "less useful" with regards to expressing thought, being easily intellegible and easy to learn, e.g. if you have 2000 pictures and you do your writing on perishable animal skin that might be less usefull for communication than having 30 characters and using paper. Just for example.
PLUS, probably the most important of all, as an institution you're saying that it can't ever be invented more than once, it has to spread all over the world from one point. That works well enough for all the current institutions, but if we agree that this potential institution represents writing and all its equivalents, which is basically just any state/civilization's capacity to deal effectively with administrative challenges, that becomes a problem. Because civilizations develop that by themselves, it doesn't come from somewhere else. I think it is already covered under advancing in admin tech and even in reforming.
Well, but that's where developing institution comes in. It exactly doesn't mean imho that you wait for an institution to come from somewhere else, but that you develop that institution all by yourself according to your own designs. So a Mayan developing the institution "Script" wouldn't mean that he learns it from the europeans, but that he actually invents and institutionalizes his own version of it, though functionally equivalent.
I also don't really agree with the "Classical Civilization" institution, I don't think there's really any reason for it to be there.
Fine, it's just a catch-all thing of my page-1 suggestion, I much prefer my page-2 suggestion.

Last edited:
Good idea, we should add the tech groups and religions for Puebloan and Mississippian peoples, because they had really cool cultures that don't get showcased. Lots of other spots around the Americas, including Amazonia, Colombia, Costa Rica, and the Caribbean also have this, but these guys are well known because their territory now lies within the US lol.
Well, yes, I also believe there could be done more to represent them. However, if (at least according to available information) they are very similar to existing relegions (or suggestions for existing religions) and/or concern only single tags, then it might be best to put them into that group.
One thing though - the new Mississippian religion should apply to all peoples of the eastern US, not just the southern portions that were still considered "Mississippian" at that time. The northern half had abandoned their urban centers and priesthood and switched to a more "tribal" lifestyle, and the northernmost and easternmost peoples had never been included in the Mississippi system at all, but their religious systems and mythologies are actually generally "the same" (in fact it's a spectrum, but it's certainly justifiable to call them all one religion. Look at that Southeastern Ceremonial Complex wiki page and see the section about the two versions of the underworld deities, and you'll see that they're present among a plethora of peoples more to the north of the Mississippians, in fact the two versions don't have any geographical basis, it's all intermixed throughout the whole region. Your proposed mechanics just concern the deities, not the priesthood or anything, and are in fact the very deities I'm talking about.
Agreed. In the end there meeds to be a decision on the borders between these new proposed religions and the existing totemism. There need to be historical and gameplay concerns balanced against each other.

Concerning the mechanic, on page-2 I also suggest to give american (unreformed) religions new religious interactions: perform blood sacrifice, perform pilgrimage, assimilate foreign gods. I still toy with the idea to make these more religion specific, though, and e.g. exchange the " assimilate foreign gods" to "maize ceremony" or sth. Let's see.

Slightly reworked the totemism mechanic: changed from a "hindu gods" approach (dependend on ruler) to an "orthodoxy" approach. The Orthodoxy mechanic can better reflect that the totem resides at the level of the tribe and is not something a ruler would normally pick at will. It also comes with "patriarch authority" (which would need to be renamed to e.g. "shaman power" in the context of totemism), so some modifiers can be added here to incetivice a player not to change the totem of his tribe. I propose that at 100 shaman power we get +1 diplomatic reputation and -25% migration cooldown, so a tribe at full shaman power can better do what a tribe is supposed to do. Dip rep will help with building federations and migration cooldown will help in harvesting monarch power to get beyond the tech and institution penalties a totemist tribe would invariably face.

By the way, if anyone would contend that my proposal for a south-american animist reform path could yield ahistorical results, because there have never been any advanced civilizations in the Amazon, then I would like to point to this short article about the discovery of an ancient civilisation in the south-western Brasilian jungle:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-ancient-population-satellite-computer-model/

The catch is:
  • Forget small nomadic tribes and pristine jungle: the southern Amazon was likely covered in a network of large villages and ceremonial centers before Columbus
  • The distribution of the potential sites suggests an interconnected, advanced series of fortified villages spanning over 1,100 miles that flourished between 1200 and 1500 A.D.
  • So what happened to the rain forest-dwelling people? De Souza says they died out after the European conquest of the region. Disease and genocide wiped out entire villages, and many others abandoned agriculture altogether

The Oceanian Natives (Polynesians, Micronesians, Melanesians) & New Religion "Tapu"
WiP

Setup

With the extended technology ladder I have taken the freedom to represent early ships (rafts) at tech level -2. With this in, I dont't see any reason to not include the natives of Oceania in game, so I do advocate for their inclusion. They would:
  • have a unique Oceanian technology group (btw there should also be one for South-east Asia)
  • start at tech level -2 (i.e. slightly better than the proposed nations of the new Mississippean tech group) and not have the proposed institution "Script"
  • their gameplay should center around forming a united oceanic empire that overcomes their greatest historical weakness: their fragmentation, long distances to trade and limited local ressources
1590353840728.png

Source

As they are not represented at all at the moment, there would need to be made quite a few new tags for them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesia

Reform Path

The aim would be to create a thalassocracy according to south-east asian (maritime) Mandala standards (broadly modelled on the Tui Tonga Empire). It would use the tributary system. However, oceanian states would have a unique CB that let's them declare war on each other, the war goal would be blockading each other and in the peace treaty the winner would be able to make the looser his tributary. When we have a yet to be defined number of tributaries (dependend on available tags), say 5, then they could "reform religion". They need to do this 5 times, after each time they would loose their tributaries. First time they'd loose 5, 2nd time they'd loose only 4, 3rd time only 3 etc.

However, they would have a unique disaster "Ressource Depletion". It ticks up for every development point above 20 + current admin technology, i.e. at admin tech -5 it would start at 15. Development would be capital development - dev in non-capital provinces - subject development incl. tributaries (=2*capital dev - total dev - subject dev). It would tick down for each point of positive stability and for each active merchant. If the disaster hits, events start to trigger regarding the loss of forest and wood for ship-making (much more costly ships), depletion of soil (devastation), and internal turmoil (increased unrest). Disaster progress is reset if the country manages to move its capital to another province (representing a shift in ressource management) or the basic conditions are no longer met (sorry, Easter Island).

New Religion "Tapu"

Tapu
or tabu is a polynesian traditional concept denoting something holy or sacred, with "spiritual restriction" or "implied prohibition"; it involves rules and prohibitions (in other words it's a religion). This religion would be based on the polynesion mythology, which is best known from Maori culture. In this mythology, the premodrdial Father Sky and Mother Earth (Rangi and Papa) laid tightly, their children in between them in the dark. The children (the polynesian Gods) want to push them apart and so starts the struggle... (see link)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynesian_narrative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapu_(Polynesian_culture)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Māori_religion#Traditional_Māori_religion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Māori_deities

1590736662697.png

Rangi and Papa would be the symbol of this religion

The religion would have a meter representing the separation of Rangi and Papa, for flavour's sake call it "Mana". It starts full (say at 100) and would delcline to 0 over time while at peace. While at war, however, it would fill up. At 100 it would give 10% infantry combat ability and +1 diplomatic reputation, at 0 it would give +10% tax efficiency and -20% stability cost.

It would also have access to a Hindu God system, where the Gods (atua) represent the children of Rangi and Papa:
  • Haumia and Rongo: the gods of cultivated and uncultivated food - give +10% production effieciency, -5% development cost
  • Tane: the god of the woods - gives -10% stability cost, -5% shock damage received
  • Tagaroa: the god of the sea - give +10% galley combat ability, +10% sailor recovery
  • Tawhire: the god of wild winds and storms - gives +10% morale, +10% manpower recovery
  • Tu: the god of war and hunting - gives +5% discipline, -0.2 war exhaustion
In addition selecting a god would also have an effect on the "mana" meter:
  • Haumia and Rongo: +10 mana
  • Tane: +20 mana (for succeeding in separating Rangi and Papa)
  • Tagaroa: +10 mana
  • Tawhire: -10 mana (for being angry at his brothers for separating Rangi and Papa)
  • Tu: -10 mana (for fighting his brothers, for capturing and eating the children of his brothers)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Extended Technology Ladder & Institution "Script"
Extended Technology Ladder

The idea is to model native "backwardness" by extending the technology ladder downwards and creating a new institution "Script". First, we extend the technology ladder down to -5 and attribute technologies to this. Generally, the north and south american tech group would start at level -5 (with the exeption as detailed beneath), the mesoamerican and andean tech group at level -1. Before they would need to invest 3*5*500 = 7500 monarch points in native ideas, now they need to invest at least 3*6*600*200% =21600 (at 100% institution penalty) to reach tech level +1, which is quite much. The mesoamericans would need to invest 3*2*600*200% = 7200 to reach tech 1. Therefore,
  • the natives in Mississippi, Rio Grande and California should start at tech level -3, which would be historically quite accurate looking at Pueblo or Cahokia. This way all natives in the north-american tech group will get a "neighbour bonus" tech discount. I.e. the southern nations would only need to invest 3*4*600*200% = 14400 and the northeners approx. 3*6*600*200%*90% = 19440. However, there would likely at least be 3 institutions to embrace before possible european contact (script, feudalism, renaissance), so the institution penalty could go up to 150%.
  • each religious reform should give monarch points, e.g. 500 of each monarch power type for a sum of 3*500*5 = 7500. Additionally, this should be scaled by the current institution penalty, e.g with a flat 100% institution penalty the monarch points gained would be doubled from 7500 to 15000 (maybe, to prevent abuse, this should probably best be capped at 100%).
  • there could be some events for the north and south americans about trade contact to the mesoamericans and andeans, respectively, giving some temporary tech discount.
  • should the mesoamericans/andeans manage to embrace an institution, they could of course "share knowledge"

We introduce the war canoo as an early ship unit.
1590871006880.png

1590871023411.png

1590871044458.png

1590870794820.png
We add 1 new buildings "custom house" (replaces "market place"), adopt 2 buildings "earthwork" and "defensive wall" from the eliminated "native buildings" (new building category: "city defense") and move 2 buildings earlier in the tech ladder ("market place" and "temple").

-5 farming & domestication
  • can develop provinces
  • allows tribal despotism
  • allows tribal federation
-4 irrigation
  • +5% production efficiency (instead reduce "workshop" to +40% production efficiency from +50%)
-3 three-sisters fields
  • +5% production efficiency (instead reduce "workshop" to +40% production efficiency from +50%)
  • allows tribal democracy
  • allows tribal kingdom
-2 monumental architecture
  • can now build temples (+40% local tax) [instead tech 3 unlocks "crownland interactions" for estates]
-1 legal code
  • may fabricate claim
  • +x% governing capacity [reduce the base value by x, accordingly]
0 indirect rule
  • can now vassalize other countries
1 monastic schools
  • -5% development cost [base cost needs to be increased, though)
2 feudal monarchy
  • can now designate march
3 medieval administration
  • unlocks "crownland interactions" for estates
  • +2% production efficiency
4 permanent ambassies
  • may support rebels
etc.
-5 cermemonial fire pit
  • can now hire advisors
-4 trail networks
  • can place merchants
  • +80 trade range
  • +1 merchant [reduce base merchants by 1]
-3 storehouse and calendar
  • can now reduce war exhaustion
-2 early ships
  • +2 morale of navies
  • allows "trading raft" [new light ship type prior to the barque with 1 trade power, 2 ship hull, 1 cannon and 10 speed)
  • allows "war canoo" (new galley ship type prior to the proper galley with 2 ship hull, 2 cannon, and 8 speed)
-1 money
  • can now take loans (at +5% interest)
  • can now build marketplace (+30% local trade power) [instead tech level 4 allows building a "custom house" with +60% local trade power]
0 the galley
  • +20 colonial range
  • allows galley
1 trade networks
  • +20 trade range
  • +10 settler increase
  • -0.5% interest on loans (also -0.5% at tech level 5 "basic financial instruments")
2 the barque
  • +100 trade range
  • +40 colonial range
  • maybe: can move ships onto open ocean (before that ships can only be moved in coastal waters)
  • allows barque
  • allows cog
3 the early carrack
  • (no changes)
  • maybe: can create trade companies
4 custom house
  • can now build custom house (+60% local trade power)
  • +10 trade range
etc.
-5 clan warfare
  • +1.0 morale of armies
-4 earthworks
  • can now build earthwork (+25% local defensiveness)
-3 military hierarchy
  • can recruit land leaders (generals)
-2 armor & trumpets
  • +0.5 morale of armies
  • can now build "defensive wall": +1 fort level, -0.5 ducats [maybe: no zone of control? So they are strictly inferior to a castle.]
-1 metal working
  • +0.20 infantry shock
0 pre-medieval military
  • +0.25 infantry fire
  • +0.80 cavalry shock
  • +0.50 morale of armies
1 medieval military
  • can now build castles
  • +0.10 infantry shock
  • +0.10 infantry fire
2 eastern swarm
  • 0.20 infantry shock
  • +0.20 cavalry shock
  • +5 combat width
etc.

New Institution "Script"

The institution "Script" would encompass the concept of a "writing and numeral system". A writing system is a method of visually representing verbal communication. While both writing and speech are useful in conveying messages, writing differs in also being a reliable form of information storage and transfer. Writing systems require shared understanding between writers and readers of the meaning behind the sets of characters that make up a script. A numeral system is a writing system for expressing numbers; that is, a mathematical notation for representing numbers of a given set, using digits or other symbols in a consistent manner.

1590566447252.png

Mayan writing with numerals​

Presence in the capital of each country in the following technology groups:
  • Mesoamerican technology group: 70% presence. Both Nahuatl and Mayan had writing and numerical systems. However, some argue that it was only "proto-writing" and of course, in the game-context this doesn't neccessarily mean that the institution of "script" was already broadly adopted.
  • Andean technology group: 50% presence. The Quipu is primarily understood as a counting system used throughout the Andes, but it may also have served as a writing system. However, it seems that if it was indeed used as a writing system, this may have been less elaborate than their Mesoamerican counterparts.
  • North- and South-American technology group: 0% presence. Although natives may have used Wampum belts as a means of recording history, it was no elaborate writing or numerical system.
For gameplay reasons however, it might be better to have the mesoamericans and andeans start with "script" already embraced. I propose to decrease base institution spread by -10% and then as a bonus for embracing this institution one gets +10% institution spread, so there's a sense of progression.

Also on a related note, I suggest to create a new modifier which is set on technology group level:
  • can_build_cavalry = yes/no
For the american technology groups this would be set to "no", for all other tech groups to "yes". As horses, camels or elephants are not native to the Americas and there was no equivalent, horses (and thus cavalry) should still be dependent on European arrival. The modifier would trigger if country borders a country which belongs to a technology group which has the modifier can_built_ cavalry. Once this condition is fullfilled the can_build_cavalry is set to "yes" for the entire technology group the country belongs to.

Last edited:
The Mesoamercian & Andean Religions
Generally each of the mesoamerican religions would get a mechanic borrowed from Hindu with 5 gods (although in reality they had more gods than that).

INTI

Inti nation get a proper religious mechanic similar to Hindu Gods. A Inti ruler can pick from the 5 Creator Gods.
  • Inti - the sun god, source of warmth and light and a protector of the people. The Inca Emperors were believed to be the lineal descendants of the sun god
+0.5 Yearly legitimacy, +0.5 Yearly devotion​
-20% stability cost​

upload_2020-4-18_20-46-27.jpeg
  • Illapa: the name of this god means thunder and controls things like weather, rain, and lightning
+10% Morale of armies​
upload_2020-4-18_20-48-18.jpeg
  • Pachamama: The name of this god translates to Earth Mother and is known as a female among the Inca society. The Inca saw her as a protector of their crops/fields and a god of fertility to help their crops grow
+10% Manpower recovery speed​
+10 settlers​
images
  • Mamaquilla (Kilyamama): The name of this god in the Inca language can be translated into Mother Moon. All of the Inca society recognized this deity as female who was also seen as a silver disk with a face in the middle. She was the wife of the deity Inti and was also in control of calendars
−10% Core creation cost​
upload_2020-4-18_20-50-35.jpeg
  • Viracocha (aka Con-Tiki): the great creator deity. Viracocha was one of the most important deities in the Inca pantheon and seen as the creator of all things, or the substance from which all things are created, and intimately associated with the sea. Viracocha created the universe, sun, moon, and stars, time (by commanding the sun to move over the sky) and civilization itself. He wept when he saw the plight of the creatures he had created.
-10% development cost​
Viracocha.jpg

NAHUATL

• Tezcatlipoca, god of providence, the darkness and the invisible, lord of the night, ruler of the North.
+20% spy network construction
220px-Tezcatlipoca_3.jpg
  • Xipe-Totec, god of force, lord of the seasons and rebirth, ruler of the East.
−0.05 Monthly war exhaustion​
+10% manpower recovery speed​
250px-Xipe_Totec_1.jpg
  • Quetzalcoatl, god of the life, the light and wisdom, lord of the winds and the day, ruler of the West.
−20% Stability cost modifier​
220px-Quetzalcoatl_magliabechiano.jpg
+10% infantry combat ability​
220px-Huitzilopochtli_telleriano.jpg
  • Tlaloc: As supreme god of the rain, Tlaloc is also a god of earthly fertility and of water. He was widely worshipped as a beneficent giver of life and sustenance.
-10% development cost​
300px-Tlaloc,_God_of_the_Rain,_Thunder,_Earthquakes;_Codex_Borgia.jpg

MAYA

• Chaac: Chief rain god; deity of water, fertility, rain, and storms, also with mountain associations
+15% fort defense​
220px-Maya_God_Chaac.jpg
  • Kukulkan (Yucatec Maya) / Q'uq'umatz (K'iche' Maya): mayan equivalent to Quetzalcoatl (Aztec), plumed Serpent; god of wind, priests, merchants, and the link between the earth and the sky
-10% stability cost​
+10% trade efficiency​
170px-YaxchilanDivineSerpent.jpg
  • Kʼawiil: Some similarities with Tezcatlipoca (Aztec), but also connected with lightning and agriculture, and exhibits serpentine features
+10% production efficiency​
250px-God_K_K%27awiil.jpg
  • Itzamna: creator deity thought to reside in the sky, often associated with the "tonsured maize god" and the hero twins.
-10% development cost​
220px-God_D_Itzamna.jpg

• Ixchel: the goddess of Birth and Medicine
+10 settlers​
Ixchel_Dresden.jpg

Last edited:
The Totemism Religion & a new Reform Path
THE TOTEMIST RELIGION

Totemists get a proper religious mechanic similar to Orthodoxy. It comes with the concept of "shaman power", at 100 shaman power the tribe receives +1 diplomatic reputation and -25% migration cooldown.
1590607018725.png

A Totemist tribe can pick from a couple of Totems. These are more numerous than for the mesoamerican and andean religions, however there's also a downside to them: a Totemist nation would have +50 relations with all other totemist nations that have picked the same totem, they would have -10 relations with all other totemist nations that have picked a different totem. When attacking another nation with the same totem, a country will lose -1 stability and gain +1 war exhaustion (similar to royal marriage).
  • Totem of the Buffalo: symbolizes the sacred, life, great strength, abundance and gratitude
-10% stability cost​
buffalosymbol.jpg
  • Totem of the Bear: symbolizes courage, physical strength and leadership
+10% shock damage dealt​
bearsymbol.png
  • Totem of the Wolf: symbolizes direction and leadership and embodies both protection and destruction
+5% morale of armies, +10% movement speed​
wolf.jpg
  • Totem of the Eagle: symbolizes the divine spirit, creation and freedom
+1 diplomatic reputation, +0.5 yearly prestige​
eaglesymbol.jpg
  • Totem of the Fox: symbolizes anticipation, observation and stealth
+10% spy network construction, +10% spy defense​
fox.jpg
  • Totem of the Hare: represents caution, fertility, rebirth, and safety in numbers
rabbit.jpg
  • Totem of the Beaver: symbolizes resourcefulness determination and a strong-will
-10% construction cost​
beaver-symbol-1.jpg
  • Totem of the Bee: an emblem of abundance, persistence, industry
+10% production efficiency​
BEE_stencil.jpg
  • Totem of the Raven: represents Creation & Knowledge - Bringer of the Light
-10% institution adoption cost, +10% institution spread​
raven.png

New North American Reform Path

It's peculiar how the north americans can "reform government" via "native ideas", while the other primitives need to "reform religion". Add to this that with Dharma we have a dedicated "Government Reform" mechanic. I never thought that native ideas were particularly interesting or compelling mechanic, so I would be happy, if the north americans got their own "reform religion" mechanic. This would require some rework of the native advancements from Conquest of Paradise DLC. This could be done using the religious suggestion for totemism. The aim for reforming religion then would be to become harmonious with the Great Spirit (a universal spiritual force, Supreme Being or God). By knowing his various faces (totems) the tribe can transcend these - and "reform religion".

A tribe can pass a reform if it manages to ensure that within one of the north american regions its own totem is dominant. "Dominant" here means that the tribe itself or another tribe with the same totem own all (colonized) development in the region, but at least xyz development (say 50, so in regions with less tribes present you need to develop/colonize). This means that
  1. either it conquers all other tribes in the region or
  2. it forces the other tribes to adopt its totem
  3. it develops/colonizes
This is valid for one totem only once, i.e. if tribe x manages to make its totem of the bear dominant in its home region, then it enacts the first of five religious reforms and gets to choose a new totem for itself (before "reforming religion" the totem would be tied to the tribe, not to the ruler). It cannot chose the totem it already had. All foreign cores would be release and new nations with the old totem be created. That means tribe x now needs to either start from scratch against a bunch of tribes that have good relations among each other (same totem). Or it migrates to another region, where there may be more tribes that already have its current totem (therefore the player may choose his new totem wisely).

400px-North_American_regions.png

There will also be a new CB "Totem war", which for 100% warscore enforce one's totem onto the adversary. It may be even a good move to loose such a war, if one wants to gain access to a new totem that seems better positioned to pass reforms.

Some of the "native ideas" would be transitioned to proper tribal government reforms (Dharma-like).

Last edited:
The Animist Religion & new Reform Path
THE ANIMIST RELIGION

This would require some rework of the native advancements from Conquest of Paradise DLC. Animists get a proper religious mechanic similar to Protestants. A Animist ruler can pick three from a couple of Spirits. These are more numerous than for the mesoamerican and andean religions, however they can only be changed with a cost of "worship". "Worship" is the religious ressource and is aquired through staying at peace (it doesn't matter who declares war) and modified by religious unity.

There are some generally available spirits (earth, water, fire, air and ancestral spirits) and there are spirits whose availablity depends on the terrain the nation owns (the rest). E.g. if a nation owns two provinces, one farmland and one woods, then it can pick from the first five spirits + the deer spirit and the bear spirit. More spirits become available the more provinces with different terrain the nation owns.

• earth spirit: represents the woods and the mountains
-10% stability cost​

• water spirit: represents the rivers and seas (aka Sea God)
+5% production efficiency​

• fire spirit: represents the sun, the stove and generally warmth

• air spirit: represents the wind and the clouds (aka Sky God)
+5% trade efficiency​

• spirit of our ancestor
+0.5 yearly legitimacy​
  • jaguar spirit - available if owns jungle in the americas
+2.5% discipline​

• leopard spirit - avaialbe if owns jungle in asia
+5% infantry combat ability​

• crocodile spirit - available if owns jungle in oceania
+5% morale​

• bear spirit - available if owns mountain, hills
+10% shock damage dealt​

• hawk spirit - available if owns highlands, farmland, grassland
+1 diplomatic reputation​

• snake spirit - available if owns desert, savanna, drylands
+10% spy network construction​

• dolphin spirit - available if owns coastline, coastal desert
-5% institution embracement cost, +10% institution spread​

• deer spirit - available if owns forest, woods
+5% tax efficiency​

• horse spirit - available if owns steppe
-10% cavalry cost​

• seal spirit - available if owns clacial
+10% galley combat ability​

• turtle spirit - available if owns marsh
+10 settlers​
New South American Reform Path

tbd, but the idea is the following: South americans will likely be the first to encounter europeans, so their reform path should be a bit more straith-forward. The animist nation needs to develop 5 provinces representing 5 different "spirits" (see animism religion mechanic) up to 10 development. For each they can pass a religious reform and when done 5 times, they can reform society. This can be done by either
  • migrating to a new province and developping it or
  • forcing another tribe to migrate away so one gets a good province
  • coquering a new province which already has sufficient development

Last edited: