New megastructure - Megafarm

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Archael90

Field Marshal
18 Badges
Nov 30, 2017
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Majesty 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
We already have megastructure for minerals, and energy, yet we still lack megastructure for food, so maybe make this one?
Megastructure with 5 stages, each one adds 1 megafarm operator jobs with unlimitted* housing (*or with some high limitsand thus allow for storing livestock pops unlimitted/with some high limits) - with no ability to grow pops here nor migrate, but allow us to manually resettle any pop despite of politics.
Each megafarm operator produces 300 food
(-150 synth/machine empires)
(+100 catalitic processing empires)
(+50 hive mind empires)
All pop traits have effect here as in normal jobs, but with neutral stability, amenities and crime.

Reactions:
Maybe a fully automated one, but having pops seems silly on a megastructure (even more with the proposed yields / no crime /happiness thing)
For livestock there is already one.
Ecumenopolise, with full housing districts, fortresses and martial law.

• 5Haha
Reactions:
i'm sure we could come up with a better name. Aeroponics Research Centre?

Ehh... You do that and you remove the need for planets all together. Empires should feel the need to colonize actual planets even in late game. If you are doing a void dweller playthrough you should have to Import food.

Reactions:
Ehh... You do that and you remove the need for planets all together. Empires should feel the need to colonize actual planets even in late game. If you are doing a void dweller playthrough you should have to Import food.
i think it's fair enough to have a megastructure just for food as OP points out, cos we have them for energy and minerals

but no, i wouldn't want it to be in any way like a planet.

Reactions:
Apart from RP and flavour, what's the point of a food megastructure? I don't play vanilla for long so I really don't know if it's relevant, maybe for the catalytic civic?

If you like mods thise megastructure already exist in Gigastructures, the Yggdrasil Orchard, wich seed a gas giant with aerial algae for massive food output and some research

Reactions:
i think it's fair enough to have a megastructure just for food as OP points out, cos we have them for energy and minerals

but no, i wouldn't want it to be in any way like a planet.
The main reason to put there pops is to make some use of their traits and allowing to create huge livestock farm. But to not making this a planet pops will not migrate here nor grow, and only 1 worker per stage would be allowed here.

• 1Like
Reactions:
IDK I will die on this hill. I never liked the whole matter decompressor megastructure idea anyway.

Yeah, I know that Stellaris isn't about realism, but really, they couldn't find some more believable idea for massive minerals extraction that taking it from a black hole? Idk, strip mining entiere planets, star lifting...

Reactions:
The main reason to put there pops is to make some use of their traits and allowing to create huge livestock farm. But to not making this a planet pops will not migrate here nor grow, and only 1 worker per stage would be allowed here.
populating it entirely with, um, livestock might be an interesting idea

We already have megastructure for minerals, and energy, yet we still lack megastructure for food, so maybe make this one?
Megastructure with 5 stages, each one adds 1 megafarm operator jobs with unlimitted* housing (*or with some high limitsand thus allow for storing livestock pops unlimitted/with some high limits) - with no ability to grow pops here nor migrate, but allow us to manually resettle any pop despite of politics.
(+50 hive mind empires)
All pop traits have effect here as in normal jobs, but with neutral stability, amenities and crime.
Megafarm is just a ringworld with agricultural districts.

Yeah, I know that Stellaris isn't about realism, but really, they couldn't find some more believable idea for massive minerals extraction that taking it from a black hole? Idk, strip mining entiere planets, star lifting...
Why? A black hole is a metric fishton of matter compressed, if you could mine it somehow it would be very rich in resources so I don't find it unbelievable in a scifi setting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
We already have megastructure for minerals, and energy, yet we still lack megastructure for food,
Ringworlds already fill this niche nicely. One dedicated RW sector with only farms gives you 102 farmers. If that's not enough, add hydroponic farms. With stacked bonuses you can obtain 2.5-3K food output from just 1 such sector - easily on par with Matter Decompressor.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can't you (still) get higher EC/mineral output via minmaxed Mining/gen worlds than from Dysons or matter decompressors? Its probably hard for a (vanilla-balanced*) farm megastructure to beat the output of ecu-livestock cheese or just a well maxed agriworld.

Even with catalytic converters it's pretty hard to hit food deficits if you plan out at least one agriworld early.

Though I'm not opposed to it, without some regularly used tier two food resource (Drugs, luxury/complex-drone food, clone-biomass, a robot bio-reactor traits (swap EC upkeep for food on droids), etc), I'm not sure a farm MS would really be needed.

* I'm somewhat surprised we've not seen rare megastructure +output techs (or one-time 'upgrade' special-projects for them) added yet [+20% Dyson sphere output etc].

• 1Like
Reactions:
Only for Genetic Ascended empires, a special project to birth the largest, most food giving creature the Galaxy has ever seen!:

MEGACOW!

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Can't you (still) get higher EC/mineral output via minmaxed Mining/gen worlds than from Dysons or matter decompressors?
Not even close. You rarely get more than 30 miners or technicians on any one world, and you can't get more than about 30 minrals or 40 energy per worker.

In comparison, a full Dyson Sphere gives you 4000 energy, and a Matter Decompressor 2000 minerals. With the appropriate edicts, it's 33% more. You can do the math yourself.
Hmm, how about enslaving Tiyanki as livestock?

• 1Like
Reactions:

I actually like the idea of the empire transforming from a single planet to multiple planet with pops eventually to a space based industry which needs less pops, sort of what Gigastructures mod already does where pops become less important as you build more and more megastructures.

I don't think it would fit the design of Stellaris 1 but maybe something for Stellaris 2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
(+50 hive mind empires)

or you could just install gigastructure mod

Reactions:
(+50 hive mind empires)
I'm not against the idea, even though one specialized planet, especially one with an agricultural buff produces a ton of food. But I am curious as to why synth/machine empires would get a penalty. Machines could work 24/7 with no need for breaks, just the occasional maintenance, which would require fewer pops to do the same amount of work since there would be no need for shift work.

With food being so easy to over produce I still think this would be the last mega structure I'd build. Only building it after all the other ones I wanted were done, naval capacity maxed out (or beyond if economy allows for it), and with a good amount of reserve alloys in the "bank". In short, by the time I ever got around to building a "mega farm", I wouldn't need it. Like I said, not against the idea, just don't know that I'd personally use it.

Reactions:
I'm not against the idea, even though one specialized planet, especially one with an agricultural buff produces a ton of food. But I am curious as to why synth/machine empires would get a penalty. Machines could work 24/7 with no need for breaks, just the occasional maintenance, which would require fewer pops to do the same amount of work since there would be no need for shift work.

With food being so easy to over produce I still think this would be the last mega structure I'd build. Only building it after all the other ones I wanted were done, naval capacity maxed out (or beyond if economy allows for it), and with a good amount of reserve alloys in the "bank". In short, by the time I ever got around to building a "mega farm", I wouldn't need it. Like I said, not against the idea, just don't know that I'd personally use it.
Machines do not need food, so they would benefit from it selling 100% of it, and thus has much more income than empires that actually use food. This is why machines has to have penalties, its only balance reason.
Im happy you are so good at this game, but most things in the game are made for casual players, and such players can struggle with food even in early end game, especially if there is very little planets to settle, and existing ones does not provide lot of agricultural districts. It would be situational or for rp, but for sure it would fill megastructures that currently provide 2 of 3 basic resources.

Reactions: