• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mad King James

Buzzkill Extraordinaire
66 Badges
Jan 18, 2002
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
Map Working: A work in progress

europe.png

Comments on France, Iberia or the lowlands?

I think Zeeland is too small to be selected. Once you figure in a port?, manu, army sprite and city graphic, it'll be mighty crowded.

Other than that, very impressive.

You could give a bit of Nord Brabant to Zeeland for icon considerations. Get rid of IJssel - doesn't make sense. Better to have a province for Utrecht.

It does look really good MKJ, but I'm wondering about the wisdom of adding large numbers of provinces to Europe. Not only for gameplay reasons, but the pure fact that it will be hell to update the province.csv correctly in one go, not to mention all the events.

Also, you're kinda bypassing the AGCEEP system here, but I'll leave it to the HC to defend that process :)

Zeeland (while histrorically correct) is too small for gameplay purposes and should get some of Nord-Brabant's space. Also, Normandie has been spelled "Normabdie," which is either a typo or some spelling I'm unaware of.

zacharym87 said:
Zeeland (while histrorically correct) is too small for gameplay purposes and should get some of Nord-Brabant's space. Also, Normandie has been spelled "Normabdie," which is either a typo or some spelling I'm unaware of.

lol oops :p

The selectable area for Zeeland will be playable I assure you ;)

At first look, it looks beautiful.

At second look, I've got a few questions/comments.
- Nord-Brabant's borders are too flat. It reminds me of an American state, rather than a naturally occurring border.
- I also am not fond of the name "Nord-Brabant". Anything more elegant you can name it?
- Unlike the other posters, I'm not too concerned about the clickability of coastal provinces, which can extend to the sea. But what about the following, which are inland *and* tiny? Artois, Hainaut, Liege, Nivernais, Lyonnais, Bourbonnais, Foix?
- I also find the Nice/Provence border unappealingly flat.
- the north 'corner' of Dauphine is unpleasant. It seems like two of the provinces should cross to meet each other, rather than meeting an unnatural corner; it shouldn't take unnaturally long to go *both* ways.
- Isn't Champagne unnecessarily large? It's nearly twice as big as any other French province.

Don't get me wrong, though, it looks pretty good. These are just some minor concerns.

why only two provinces for britanny ?

Brittany could keep 3 provinces :

eastern third : Haute-Bretagne
west-southern third : Rohan
west-northern third : Penthievre

with the Vilaine river between Haute-Bretagne and Rohan
ftp://kerloic.is-a-geek.org/bretagne.png

Last edited:
MKJ, please don't listen to those naysayers (;)), you are creating a masterpiece there :) Now show me your map of Germany :D
A bit of redistributing of space might be required for the profane sake of playability (for example it might be better if the quite tiny province of Lyonnais would take a bit of space from Dauphiné, although it would be "wrong").
This map would allow for lots of cool things that we always wanted to do but could not because of map restrictions; just think of being able to have:
- a Béarn that is able to survive (it would have two provinces with this map)
- real events for the succession struggle in Bar and Lorraine after 1430
- substantially strengthened Netherlands and Burgundy
- Nevers, which was a candidate in about 50 percent of Europe's contested inheritances, as an independent state
- juicy new bishoprics of Utrecht (which would own Ijssel) and Liege
- a representation of the conflict over Nice, which pretty much all its neighbours tried to conquer at some time

Just a few minor spelling corrections:
- Poitou, not Poiteau
- either Roussillon or Rosselló (which I like better, since there is not much of a reason to use the French instead of the Catalan name in 1419), not Rousillon
- Rouergue, not Rouerge
- Franche-Comté is a bit more common than Franche-Compté (though the latter is afaik not entirely wrong)
-Orléans and Dauphiné should have their accents (unless this is not doable)

Last edited:
I think too 3 provinces is better for Brittanny with the cutting of Kerloic.
There are more representative of border could be exist at the gold time of the brittany.

Very impressive job for this map, thank you ... ;)

Norrefeldt said:
I plan to merge this thread with the thread for Iberia, calling it "New map: Iberia, France & Lowlands". Anyone against?
you could instead rename this one France & Lowlands :)

WiSK said:
Get rid of IJssel - doesn't make sense. Better to have a province for Utrecht.
(Over-)Ijssel would be a province for Utrecht, since the area was owned by the bishops. An Utrecht province would be much harder to fit in than an Ijssel province I think.

Should be Alentejo instead of Alantejo and Badajoz instead of Badajos.

Beiras and Porto could be subdivided in 2 provinces each (Beira interior and Beira litoral) and Porto into Minho/Porto(NW) and Trás-os-Montes(NE).

Should be Poitou instead of Poiteau and Franche-Comté instead of Franche-Compté.