• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuterium Oxide

Distribution Manager
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Jan 13, 2014
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
And now for some launcher updates. We're up to 2021.2 and it's mostly a fix version:

Changes
  • Upgrade to Electron 11.1.1

Fixes
  • Attempt at fixing the sometimes occurring duplicate feed content
  • Text overflow in the sidebar for longer messages should now work as intended
  • Translation corrections for mod error messages
  • Playsets section should not disappear when you have no mods (and consequently no playsets)
  • Re-instated missing task bar icon on Windows
  • Fixed missing "New mods added" notification
So, that's that. Also, we are keeping an eye on the anti-virus problems, so if they pop back with this version please tell us about it!

/D2O

Reactions:
  • Playsets section should not disappear when you have no mods (and consequently no playsets)

So this didn't seem to work initially, and I got the following error:

Code:
VError: Container for game id: gameId not found
    at getGameContainer (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.2.2-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3542124)
    at Object.initializeNewsFeedFilters [as @IPC_PRIMARY/INITIALIZE_NEWS_FEED_FILTERS] (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.2.2-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3826932)
    at IpcServer.onMessage (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.2.2-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3447652)
    at IpcMainImpl.emit (events.js:315:20)
    at Object.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:157:8980)
    at Object.emit (events.js:315:20)

Turning off Beta launcher versions and then clicking Mods fixed the problem somehow.

Reactions:
How do I make my mod able to be played? For some reason, it says it isn't on the disk, but it is. This just happened and it wasn't like this before the update.
Please try the following:

- unsubscribe from all mods
- delete the folder Documents/paradox/HOI4/mod/
- delete the file Documents/paradox/HOI4/mods_registry.json
- delete the file Documents/paradox/HOI4/launcher-v2.sqlite

Add hoi4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list. You should add steam.exe and C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/paradox launcher.exe to that list.

- subscribe to a few mods
- run the game up and see if those mods are now available to you.

I hope that does it for you!

Please try the following:

- unsubscribe from all mods
- delete the folder Documents/paradox/HOI4/mod/
- delete the file Documents/paradox/HOI4/mods_registry.json
- delete the file Documents/paradox/HOI4/launcher-v2.sqlite

Add hoi4.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list. You should add steam.exe and C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/paradox launcher.exe to that list.

- subscribe to a few mods
- run the game up and see if those mods are now available to you.

I hope that does it for you!
I forgot to tell you that it is Imperator Rome's launcher, but I thought all the launchers were the same

I forgot to tell you that it is Imperator Rome's launcher, but I thought all the launchers were the same
Just substitute that game for HOI4 in those instructions, it should fix that problem.

Would I have to remake my mod that i spent months remaking?
Absolutely not! I'm sure you have multiple backups of your mod, both on your local backup disk, in your local git repository and probably mirrored to some online git repo such as Github. If you don't, I would urge you to at least have a backup elsewhere on your drive should things go sideways.

How weird. I was having this issue yesterday, and so was so many others in the discord then I just checked and it was fine. I did nothing yet it fixed itself. Why did I have this issue yesterday but then it resolved overnight?

How weird. I was having this issue yesterday, and so was so many others in the discord then I just checked and it was fine. I did nothing yet it fixed itself. Why did I have this issue yesterday but then it resolved overnight?
As we didn't release anything new, something likely changed on your side - If several people have installations that followed the same behaviour, might I ask you to attempt to discern what might have been the cause? Maybe a certain brand of anti-virus program?

Please:

1. When a new playset is created - autoenable it. If mods are added to a playset or a playset has been tampered with, autoenable it.
2. Remove this blank space in favor of ... mod names

1616655197311.png

3. This button is wrong. New players think they are enabling a mod (such as conversions, people who never dealt with mods otherwise). It should be "PUBLISH A MOD"
1616655300381.png

4. New players (again talking of people who never dealt with mods before) which desire to simply enable the mod they have, and don't know what playsets are, intuitively go into "All installed mods" and seeing no "enable mod" button go to mod tools and then things go bad. Add "ADD MOD TO PLAYSET" button here:

1616655428458.png

5. Rename "MOD TOOLS" To "PUBLISH MODS"
6. Reloading mods /rebuilding cache should in fact redownload mods and fix mods broken by user tampering. It should also verify ugc file is present on disk and points to the correct place (fixing the current issue where it's not created at all if there is another mod of the same name either locally or subscribed from another source like pdxmods)

7. Add a button "Play with this playset" here:

1616655789395.png

8. Adding mods to playset still blocks the last one with buttons and can't be scrolled further down:
1616656069541.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Please:

1. When a new playset is created - autoenable it. If mods are added to a playset or a playset has been tampered with, autoenable it.
2. Remove this blank space in favor of ... mod names
3. This button is wrong. New players think they are enabling a mod (such as conversions, people who never dealt with mods otherwise). It should be "PUBLISH A MOD"
4. New players (again talking of people who never dealt with mods before) which desire to simply enable the mod they have, and don't know what playsets are, intuitively go into "All installed mods" and seeing no "enable mod" button go to mod tools and then things go bad. Add "ADD MOD TO PLAYSET" button here:
5. Rename "MOD TOOLS" To "PUBLISH MODS"
6. Reloading mods /rebuilding cache should in fact redownload mods and fix mods broken by user tampering. It should also verify ugc file is present on disk and points to the correct place (fixing the current issue where it's not created at all if there is another mod of the same name either locally or subscribed from another source like pdxmods)
7. Add a button "Play with this playset" here:
8. Adding mods to playset still blocks the last one with buttons and can't be scrolled further down:

Thanks for the feedback!
  1. We'll take it under advisement, especially the "creation" bit
  2. It'll be fixed but didn't make it into the 2021.3 beta unfortunately
  3. We'll have a look at the copy here. Not sure it'll work miracles, but some improvements might be had
  4. We'll take it under advisement
  5. For some games, that button does in fact open their mod tooling
  6. Re-downloading mods is something we could conceptually do for PDX Mods derived installations, but there is no readily available means to do so though the steam client. Some bug fixes around .mod-file recreation are incoming in the 2021.3 beta
  7. Affirmative!
  8. Duly noted and bug report filed

• 3Like
Reactions:
Massive improvement in the last update! I'd go so far as to say its functional now. You have finally resolved the longstanding issue with the constant "an error has occurred" messages and failure to load.

However a probably related issue has popped up. When adding mods to a playset it will give this error message. Despite claiming it can't even access the document folder it DOES actually succeed in adding the mod to the playset, it will be there on the next load. This is still a vast improvement over the earlier, basically non-functional versions.

In addtion to the excellent suggestions above, could you add a button that opens the mod files' location? Maybe under mod tools as this is perhaps too niche for the main menu. This is a very handy feature i've become accustomed to with the third party launcher.

Attachments

• newissue.PNG
    newissue.PNG
    83,7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hi, my PDX Launcher claims to be version 1.0-beta-63. This doesn't seem to match with the version numbers stated in this thread at all. How do I update it? Thanks in advance!

edit: grammar

Last edited:
Hi, my PDX Launcher claims to be version 1.0-beta-63. This doesn't seem to match with the version numbers stated in this thread at all. How do I update it? Thanks in advance!
There are two launchers. The one which you can get from https://play.paradoxplaza.com/ has version 1.0-beta-63 and can be used to download and install a few of the newer paradox games. And there is the launcher v2 which you get if you start a game from steam or the microsoft store or the other launcher. This second launcher can be used to select mods and dlcs and has the version 2021.2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, technically that launcher v1 ought to be termed a client not a launcher. But my one-man campaign for that change is not having a lot of effect :)

Reactions:
There are two launchers. The one which you can get from https://play.paradoxplaza.com/ has version 1.0-beta-63 and can be used to download and install a few of the newer paradox games. And there is the launcher v2 which you get if you start a game from steam or the microsoft store or the other launcher. This second launcher can be used to select mods and dlcs and has the version 2021.2.
Oh drat, then I've misunderstood - thanks for the explanation!

Okay, so while eu4 had been fine, when I tried to play HoI4 I ran into trouble with the launcher. I followed the steps here, but launching the game didn't reinstall the deleted files. I did eventually find that I could reinstall the files by running launcher-installer-macos in eu4, which seems to work, except it gave me an old version of the launcher.

Running HoI4 again prompted me to relaunch the launcher. Doing so generated the following error:
Code:
Uncaught Exception:
    at getGameContainer (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3542141)
    at Object.initializeNewsFeedFilters [as @IPC_PRIMARY/INITIALIZE_NEWS_FEED_FILTERS] (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3826949)
    at IpcServer.onMessage (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3447669)

Afterwards the launcher seemed to see playsets, but not mods. Restarting the launcher eventually got me the following errors in HoI4:

Code:
Uncaught Exception:
    at getGameContainer (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3814560)
    at Object.initializeNewsFeedFilters [as @IPC_PRIMARY/INITIALIZE_NEWS_FEED_FILTERS] (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:4098735)
    at IpcServer.onMessage (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3719526)
Code:
Uncaught Exception:
    at getGameContainer (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3814560)
    at Object.mod_getDefaultModsPlatform [as @IPC_PRIMARY/GET_DEFAULT_MODS_PLATFORM] (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:4115484)
    at IpcServer.onMessage (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3719526)
    at Object.showErrorBox (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:49:5547)
    at electron/js2c/browser_init.js:185:1107
Code:
Uncaught Exception:
    at Object.initializeNewsFeedFilters [as @IPC_PRIMARY/INITIALIZE_NEWS_FEED_FILTERS] (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:4098735)
Code:
Uncaught Exception:
    at Object.mod_getDefaultModsPlatform [as @IPC_PRIMARY/GET_DEFAULT_MODS_PLATFORM] (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2--openbeta--2021.3-rc/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:4115484)
    at Object.showErrorBox (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:49:5547)
    at electron/js2c/browser_init.js:185:1107
Code:
Uncaught Exception:
    at getGameContainer (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3542141)
    at Object.initializeNewsFeedFilters [as @IPC_PRIMARY/INITIALIZE_NEWS_FEED_FILTERS] (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3826949)
    at IpcServer.onMessage (/Users/sean/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2021.2/Paradox Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/dist/main/main.js:2:3447669)
Stellaris and EU4 were back to a seemingly current launcher with no apparent problems. After turning on the Beta Launcher, then turning off Beta launcher versions and then clicking Mods the problem somehow disappeared in HoI4.

o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.