New Launcher for Hearts of Iron IV on the 13th of November

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Further Troubleshooting:

If you have problems with the list of mods in the launcher or with Steam re-downloading your mods, you should try each of the following steps until the problems are resolved:
  1. Launch the game and run to the main menu. It will cleanup some old data that the new launcher has difficulty with. Exit the game and launch a second time, and mods should appear correctly in the launcher this time.

Before running the game, mods in the launcher on first run should look like this:
    new-launcher-mods-first-run.png
    After running to the main menu, exiting, and launching again, mods should look like this:
    new-launcher-mods-second-run.png
  2. Check if there is a Steam Workshop content download for HoI4 pending - if there is then start the download.
  3. Restart Steam - this often works!
  4. Restart your PC - the good old off and on again fix works more than you might think...
If none of the above works then you can try:
  1. Go to Steam and unsubscribe to the mod that isn’t being reacquired.
  2. Resubscribe to the mod - Steam should then reacquire it.
Alternatively, if all of the mods that you use are subscribed through Steam, or if you are careful to backup any local mods, you can try the following:
  1. Delete the folder "...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron IV\mod"
  2. Delete the file ...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron IV\mods_registry.json", if it exists
  3. Launch the game, and the mods folder will be rebuilt from your subscriptions.
If after trying all of the above you still can’t get mods to work then please submit a ticket here: support.paradoxplaza.com or visit our Technical Support Forum

If you are downloading your mods from the forum rather than through Steam then the old method of copying the mod directly into the "...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron IV\mod" will still work as before. As noted in the very first step above, you may need to run the game once, exit, and relaunch in order to get the mod to show up in the new launcher, if the mod has not been updated according to instructions in the next post.

If the launcher fails to start or you cannot use it for any other reason, you can always run the game directly (particularly useful to some Mac and Linux users)

We are aware of some Linux and Mac users experiencing issues with the new launcher, and we're looking into that. It does work on our test machines however, so hopefully it won't be an issue. But if it is, please follow these instructions.
To do this, right-click on "Hearts of Iron IV" in your Steam library, go to "Properties", switch to the "LOCAL FILES" tab and click "BROWSE LOCAL FILES...". This will take you to the folder where HoI4 is installed. Double click "hoi4.exe" (Windows), "hoi4" (Linux) or "hoi4.app" (macOS) and the game will start without using the launcher.
The default settings enable all DLCs you own. If you want to disable specific DLCs or enable Mods without using the launcher you will have to edit the file "dlc_load.json", usually located in "C:\Users\your_username\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron IV" (Windows), "~/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron IV" (Linux) or "~/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Hearts of Iron IV" (macOS).
To disable DLCs, add them to the "disabled_dlcs" list, to enable mods add them to the "enabled_mods" list.

"dlc_load.json" Example:
{
"disabled_dlcs":["dlc/dlc013_sabaton/dlc013.dlc","dlc/dlc019_sabaton_vol2/dlc019.dlc"],
"enabled_mods":["mod/ugc_1521695605.mod"]
}

Last edited by a moderator:
Instructions for Modders

Current mods will keep working with 1.8.0. They will show the usual warning that the supported version does not match the current game version, but users should be able to enable them, and we do no anticipate any breaking changes from the game update. Mods uploaded with the new launcher will show up in the 1.7.1 launcher but will not work (Clicking on them has no effect).

Creating mods
  1. Open the launcher
  2. Got to "Mods"
  3. Click on "MOD TOOLS"
  4. Fill in all details (Note that "Version" specifies the mod version not "supported_version", that needs to be put into the descriptor manually)
  5. Click "CREATE MOD"
  6. The launcher will create the folder and two descriptors: "ModName.mod" in "mod/" and "descriptor.mod" inside the mod folder. "ModName.mod" is local only and will not be uploaded. What will be uploaded is "descriptor.mod" and any files inside the created folder. This is also what will be downloaded when subscribing (Plus the launcher-created descriptor, see "Good to know")
  7. This means that "ModName.mod" is just for convenience, anything that should end up at subscribers should be put into "descriptor.mod", that includes "supported_version", "tags", etc.
  8. After manually editing "ModName.mod" or "descriptor.mod" , it is advisable to delete the "mods_registry.json" file in the "Hearts of Iron IV" user profile folder, to force the launcher to notice the changes. This is a temporary requirement, and an update to the launcher will fix this issue within the next few weeks.
Uploading mods
  1. Open the launcher
  2. Got to "Mods"
  3. Click on "MOD TOOLS"
  4. Go to "Upload a mod" tab
  5. Select the mod you want to upload. All mods will be shown here, uploading any other than your own will fail with a credential error.
  6. Select "Steam Workshop" below "Upload to", "Paradox Mods" currently does not work for HoI4
  7. Enter a description and upload
  8. Set the mod public in its Steam Workshop page
Updating mods
Currently most mods have one mod descriptor, usually ModName.mod. This is now split in two: ModName.mod which needs to have the name entry and a path or archive entry; and descriptor.mod inside the mod folder, which also needs the name and has everything else.

Updating them means creating this descriptor.mod and copying most things from ModName.mod into that. So essentially: Keep name and path or archive in your current ModName.mod and move everything else into descriptor.mod inside the mod folder.
  • If you have an issue with creating the descriptor file you should note that you can simply copy the content of the .mod file into the descriptor - this should not cause an issue.
  • Remember that the descriptor.mod file should be inside the mod folder.
  • If you get a credential error when attempting to upload a mod make sure you have something in the description section - you can simply put your current description from the workshop here. If your workshop description is to long for this then update the mod with anything in the description box and then add your full description later.
  • Remember to select "Steam Workshop" in the "Upload a mod" tab, since "Paradox Mods" is not currently supported.
Important!
The "ModName.mod: file MUST NOT be saved with a byte order mark (BOM) if it is saved in UTF-8 format. Either save it as UTF-8 without a BOM, or save it with ANSI or ASCII text encoding if the file does not include any non-English characters. To save without the BOM:

On Windows 10
  1. Use Notepad to open the file "...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron IV\mod\ModName.mod"
  2. Select File -> Save As...
  3. Do not change the file name, but in the Encoding drop-down box next to the Save button, choose UTF-8, instead of UTF-8 (with BOM)
  4. Press the Save button and say yes to overwrite the existing file.
  5. Launch the game.
On Other Operating Systems
  1. Use your text editor of choice to save the file "...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron IV\mod\ModName.mod" without the byte order mark.
  2. Notepad++ is a good option for older versions of Windows, for which the built-in Notepad is not able to save UTF-8 files without the byte order mark. Open the "ModName.mod" file in Notepad++, expand the Encoding menu, select "Encode in UTF-8", and save the file.
Good to know:
Up through version 1.7.1, mod zips show up in "C:/Users/user/Paradox Interactive/Hearts or Iron IV/mod" after subscribing. This works slightly different now starting with 1.8.0. Mod zips (Now named *.bin) will now stay in the Steam downloads folder (Something like "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\236850\217416366", but users should not have to care about this, it is handled by Steam exclusively and shouldn't be touched) and the "mod" folder will just contain "ugc_1234567.mod" files ("descriptors") that reference these downloaded files. The old way of copying mods into that folder will still work however.

If you have questions or want to discuss these changes with the modding community, please do so in the Modding subform here!

We are presenting you with a new startup menu (or launcher some call it) for Hearts of Iron IV. The reason for doing this is to create a base on which we can continue to develop features and enrich your experience in many ways.

Important! The first time you start Hearts of Iron IV after this update, all mods will be disabled. Steam Workshop mods will show an error about something looking wrong with the downloaded files. Any local mods not associated with Steam will not appear in the list at all. Boot up the game completely, exit and start again, and then all your mods should appear as normal, both Steam Workshop mods and local mods.

Screenshot_2.jpg

This is what the new launcher will look like

I had some problems with EU4. I had to reinstall windows (clean installation) and problem solved. That windows version brought a lot of problems.

I had no problems with Stellaris

We hope that this one will work out more smoothly at the start. It's unfortunate that we had to include the step of starting it twice the first time for the mods to appear. But hopefully once that step has been done, it should be at least as good as the previous launcher.

This new platform will allow for us to implement more useful features going forward. The old one had limitations.

is it some launcher fetish among all big companies or (more) a plague? :eek:

now I have steam, origin, gog, ubi-something, battle.net.... here comes epic store thingy and rockstar (failed) launcher too... and pdx caught the virus too..... this is madness!! :(

Man, I have to wonder if this couldn't wait for the next expansion.
It's a quite a hassle to deal with the stuff a patch breaks sometimes, but usually we have all ne new content to make the blow more than worth it.

It's quite understandable that you are less than enthused with these news. The launch of our previous launchers was not very good. I really hope we've managed to get around most issues this time around.

We'll start by getting the basic functionality down first and start adding new stuff after that. I hope to be able to share new and improved funcitonality with you soon.

@BjornB

honestly, i've been thinkIng about it for a year or two now but could you add a feature in the settings where you can change the main menu background to any previous background/loading screen.

i mean im no programer but it seems like an easy addition (maybe im wrong)

but i could see that as a nice cosmetic quality of life thing y'know.

(plz respond so i can be pleasantly suprised or slightly depressed)

Look, I'll be honest. The only functionalities I actually use is:

Toggling mods on or off
Occasionally clickling on dev diary announcement
Launching the game

I do not want more. I do not need more. I am annoyed that you feel the need to introduce 'enhancements' which as far I can tell are utterly useless in term of what I want from the launcher, as everything I want the launcher to do is already being performed to my satisfaction.

One of my favorite mods just received a huge update yesterday afternoon. I'd be very displeased if this update prevents me from playing it. Is it possible to roll back to 1.7.1 until this issue with mods is solved, in case I have an issue when this downloads?

@BjornB

honestly, i've been thinkIng about it for a year or two now but could you add a feature in the settings where you can change the main menu background to any previous background/loading screen.

i mean im no programer but it seems like an easy addition (maybe im wrong)

but i could see that as a nice cosmetic quality of life thing y'know.

(plz respond so i can be pleasantly suprised or slightly depressed)

This is actually a very good idea, should be quite simple and its one of those little things that put a smile on my face.

Look, I'll be honest. The only functionalities I actually use is:

Toggling mods on or off
Occasionally clickling on dev diary announcement
Launching the game

I do not want more. I do not need more. I am annoyed that you feel the need to introduce 'enhancements' which as far I can tell are utterly useless in term of what I want from the launcher, as everything I want the launcher to do is already being performed to my satisfaction.

once upon a time main menu in game served such purposes :cool:

is it some launcher fetish among all big companies or (more) a plague? :eek:

now I have steam, origin, gog, ubi-something, battle.net.... here comes epic store thingy and rockstar (failed) launcher too... and pdx caught the virus too..... this is madness!! :(

Game launchers have been more or less standard for ages, and online shop clients are a different thing.