New launch option to skip launcher

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MatRopert

HoI4 Tech Lead
Paradox Staff
4 Badges
May 11, 2018
mropert.github.io
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Battle for Bosporus
Greetings!

We have been receiving reports of the Paradox Launcher being a bit on slow side to pop-up/start in some cases (especially when you have a large mod collection).
While the launcher team is looking at a long-term solution, we have decided to offer a quick solution for HoI.
If you launch HoI on Steam now you should be greeted by the following:

Launch.PNG

The first option will start the Paradox Launcher as usual, allowing you to change language, graphic settings, manage mods and the like, while the second will immediately run HoI4 with the last settings used.
This launch option is also available on beta branches where the Paradox Launcher is present (from 1.8 onwards).

That's it. See you tomorrow for the big release!

• 56Like
  • 22Love
Reactions:
Noice.

Yet I can already almost see some people inevitably complaining that they are asked by Steam every single time what they want to launch, Haha. You know, people being people and whatnot.

• 16Haha
Reactions:
Noice.

Yet I can already almost see some people inevitably complaining that they are asked by Steam every single time what they want to launch, Haha. You know, people being people and whatnot.
You can skip that by right clicking on steam tray icon and selecting HoI.
That is of course if HoI is one of your last 5 played games on Steam. But it is right? Riiiiight?

• 24Like
  • 10Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
“Receiving reports”
“A bit on the slow side”

how about:
Completely broken
Hasn’t worked properly in years
Forces people to spend hours deleting files to get the game to work because the launcher has the power to break the entire game for some reason
Everyone agrees it’s a disaster
Takes forever to load

• 7Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
This is a great addition. I think what this does was already possible with launch commands, but most people don't use those.

Of course, the real fix would be to revert to the old launcher... ;)

• 12Like
Reactions:
It's not only about mods. I do not play with any mod yet the launcher needs around 2 minutes to verify all DLCs I have (I own all which have been released so far).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does HOI4 still load mods only alphabetically? How come for example the EU4 and Stellaris launchers let you change load order and are functionally the same, but it is impossible in HOI4?

• 2Like
Reactions:
“Receiving reports”
“A bit on the slow side”

how about:
Completely broken
Hasn’t worked properly in years
Forces people to spend hours deleting files to get the game to work because the launcher has the power to break the entire game for some reason
Everyone agrees it’s a disaster
Takes forever to load

Well not everyone, because i so far never had any issues with the launcher. (Apart from launcher-updates sometimes being endless but i could just click on 'play anyway').

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well not everyone, because i so far never had any issues with the launcher. (Apart from launcher-updates sometimes being endless but i could just click on 'play anyway').
I guess not, but its the most common complaint other than peace conferences I've heard. And every one of my friends who has the game has complained at one time or another about it.

Reactions:
This pop-up does not appear for me:

No HoI4 Popup.gif

I am using the latest Steam client on Linux. I have not been offered an HoI4 download today - is this part of the Barbarossa patch??

Reactions:
This pop-up does not appear for me:

I am using the latest Steam client on Linux. I have not been offered an HoI4 download today - is this part of the Barbarossa patch??
There shouldn't be any download, launch options changes do not show up in updates. You might need to restart Steam to get them updated though.

Reactions:
There shouldn't be any download, launch options changes do not show up in updates. You might need to restart Steam to get them updated though.
Thank you for the quick reply. I restarted my PC to make certain that I was definitely starting a fresh instance of Steam, and I still don't see the pop-up. I get the launcher every time.

Thank you for the quick reply. I restarted my PC to make certain that I was definitely starting a fresh instance of Steam, and I still don't see the pop-up. I get the launcher every time.
I have done the same as you and have the same situation, whether i click on the 'play' like your gif, or double click hoi4 from the left hand side, it stills goes to the launcher with no options to skip.

I do not get this:

1637680164839.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
Greetings!

We have been receiving reports of the Paradox Launcher being a bit on slow side to pop-up/start in some cases (especially when you have a large mod collection).
While the launcher team is looking at a long-term solution, we have decided to offer a quick solution for HoI.
If you launch HoI on Steam now you should be greeted by the following:

View attachment 776168

The first option will start the Paradox Launcher as usual, allowing you to change language, graphic settings, manage mods and the like, while the second will immediately run HoI4 with the last settings used.
This launch option is also available on beta branches where the Paradox Launcher is present (from 1.8 onwards).

That's it. See you tomorrow for the big release!
are there plans for this to come to other games? I haven't played EU4 in months because my launcher broke and apparently the only fix is deleting and unsubscribing from all your mods

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have done the same as you and have the same situation, whether i click on the 'play' like your gif, or double click hoi4 from the left hand side, it stills goes to the launcher with no options to skip.
I have updated settings again today, is that working now?

Reactions:
I have updated settings again today, is that working now?
I'm afraid not. Steam was closed so I opened it and clicking 'play' still goes to the launcher.

Is there any information I could give that may assist?