• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Justin Kase

Lt. General
44 Badges
Feb 28, 2018
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Island Bound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Will refrain from comment given my opinion of Paradox.

Just hope they retain their independence and ability to publish via other non-Paradox, non-Steam outlets.

hummm it's a partnership? not an ownership. They do games, Paradox publishes them. Don't see where or how they were bought out?.

I hope you're right and fear you're wrong.

That's a dealbreaker for me. If I can get future BattelTech games only from Paradox or Steam then I'm not getting them.

Same here.

They were purchased. https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...to-acquire-seattle-based-harebrained-schemes/
I honestly know little to nothing about Paradox so I don't really know if this is good or bad. Though the fact they are losing their total independence they have had till now makes me a touch concerned. Even if the plan is hands off for now, the future might change that, and they will have to have at least some approval from above I'd expect for things going forward. They may be independent, but they aren't 100% free to do as they please since as the owner, Paradox will have a veto. Not that I'd expect HBS to do anything that needed vetoing, but the principle stands.

Will refrain from comment given my opinion of Paradox.

Just hope they retain their independence and ability to publish via other non-Paradox, non-Steam outlets.
From Paradox's FAQ on the matter:

"What will this mean for Paradox and HBS?
Harebrained Schemes will continue to operate with its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation. HBS and Paradox have a shared vision for where to take narrative rich tactical games. Of course each title will be greenlit via Paradox's publishing process. HBS will continue to have the freedom to creative direct our games and build our player experiences.

In their new role as a division of Paradox Interactive, Harebrained Schemes will gain access to an expert publisher with a strong reputation and a global audience. Paradox will handle finances, marketing, PR, and distribution, and leave the development to HBS. Paradox is bringing HBS on board because they like what the studio is doing, so nobody wants to change that. Fans of Harebrained Schemes can continue to count on the community involvement and visibility that the studio has always provided."

Whether or not you trust Paradox's words on the matter is up to you, I suppose. But I trust HBS, so I'm going to reserve judgement.

Quick Recap: HBS is now partnered with Paradox, but will remain independent and autonomous. Also plans to make more BattleTech.

And, according from the article on RockPaperShotgun, Kickstarter Backers will get Stellaris too (probably only the base version).

Actually, it's also in the sticked announcement:

As a token to welcome all fans of Harebrained Schemes to the Paradox family, Paradox will give a complimentary copy of Stellaris, the sci-fi grand strategy game from Paradox Development Studio, to every player who backed BATTLETECH on Kickstarter. For further details on this new arrangement, Wester and Weisman will appear on a live-streamed presentation and Q&A session in the near future on the Paradox Interactive Twitch channel, found at https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...re-seattle-based-harebrained-schemes.1103663/

To each his own, but if someone decides not to back a studio making good games of a franchise they love because they're published by Paradox...they're hurting themselves as much as others who love the same games.

Said that I have a personal boykott against Ubisoft and anything EA related (I won't even mention some other stuff like Gaijin or anything russian related when it comes to the air simulation genre, something I'm going to stay well clear for...forever) so at least I do understand where they come from. I've never had bad experiences with Paradox, however. Some of them weren't really positive, mind you ,but negative to the point of hating them, far from it. In fact they're the publishers of most games I like.

But as I said, I do understand where some people come from. I just don't think Paradox is so bad as to go that far.

From Paradox's FAQ on the matter:

"What will this mean for Paradox and HBS?
Harebrained Schemes will continue to operate with its own internal management and creative teams, designing and developing the games that have earned them their outstanding reputation. HBS and Paradox have a shared vision for where to take narrative rich tactical games. Of course each title will be greenlit via Paradox's publishing process. HBS will continue to have the freedom to creative direct our games and build our player experiences.

In their new role as a division of Paradox Interactive, Harebrained Schemes will gain access to an expert publisher with a strong reputation and a global audience. Paradox will handle finances, marketing, PR, and distribution, and leave the development to HBS. Paradox is bringing HBS on board because they like what the studio is doing, so nobody wants to change that. Fans of Harebrained Schemes can continue to count on the community involvement and visibility that the studio has always provided."

Whether or not you trust Paradox's words on the matter is up to you, I suppose. But I trust HBS, so I'm going to reserve judgement.

Mmmmm... PR speak.

Still doesn't answer anything important, such as whether the game and patches and new content will still be available via GOG or a similar, non-Steam outlet.

Congratulations to Harebrained Schemes! I'm glad that you will have some additional help and financial stability when it comes to creating more games and content down the road. Paradox is VERY lucky to have your talents as part of their family. I hope the move is fruitful for both you, and subsequently for the fans. After all, who doesn't want more BattleTech :).

To each his own, but if someone decides not to back a studio making good games of a franchise they love because they're published by Paradox...they're hurting themselves as much as others who love the same games.

Said that I have a personal boykott against Ubisoft and anything EA related, so at least I do understand where they come from. I've never had bad experiences with Paradox, however. Some of them weren't really positive, mind you ,but negative to the point of hating them, far from it. In fact they're the publishers of most games I like.

But as I said, I do understand where some people come from. I just don't think Paradox is so bad as to go that far.

I ditched Bioware/EA because of Origin.

I ditched Paradox because of Steam (and their aggressive reaction to any negative commentary about the move).

This and the Witcher series are the only games I've purchased in years, because I could get them without a useless bloatware/spyware "install manager".