New Idea Groups: Part 6 - Colonial Special! (Chile, La Plata, Peru)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

exaenae

Corporal
24 Badges
Jan 29, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Chile
Traditions - Infantry Combat Ability: +10% / Yearly Navy Tradition: +1
1) Government Junta of Chile - Yearly Republican Tradition: +0.5
The First Government Junta was an organ established to rule Chile following the deposition and imprisonment of King Ferdinand VII. This was the first step in the Chilean struggle for independence.​
2) Andean Defenses - Fort Maintenance: -20%
Our position in the Andes is an excellent one, at least regarding defense. Establishing forts and outposts in the Andes to improve defensiveness.​
3) Encourage Traders - Trade Efficiency: +10%
In order to improve the income of our country, we must encourage traders and merchants to move here by providing them with benefits.​
4) Andean Mines - Goods Produced Modifier: +20%
Due to our country being dominated by mountainous terrain, we are in a great position to exploit our mines and found new ones.​
5) Where the Land Ends - Trade Steering: +20%
Our positioning in South America means we can control a good amount of trade flowing from the Pacific to the Atlantic and vice-versa.​
6) Government Funded Shipbuilders - Shipbuilding Time: -15%
Our coastline is very long. As such, our navy is as important, or even more important than our army. By funding shipbuilders from our own pockets, we can make sure ships get made when we need them to.​
7) Found the Primera Escuadra Nacional - Heavy Ship Combat Ability: +20%
Create Chile's First National Fleet to protect our great nation, and the Academy for Young Midshipmen to ensure the ship's sailors are the best possible.​
Ambition - National Manpower Modifier: +20%

La Plata
Traditions - Land Force Limit Modifier: +30% / Settler Chance: +10%
1) River of Silver - Global Trade Power: +10%
Río de la Plata is one of the most important rivers in South America. Our most populated cities are located around it, its many species of fish provide food for our citizens, and even our country is named after it.​
2) Cerro de Potosí - National Tax Modifier: +25%
Our country's in control of Cerro de Potosí, one of, if not the largest silver mine in the world. We can exploit this rich hill for all it's worth and make a fortune doing it.​
3) Found National Mint - Yearly Inflation Reduction: +0.10
By founding a national mint, we can make sure all of the silver we mine is properly turned into currency, as well as administer the creation of new coins.​
4) Mercantilist Policies - Provincial Trade Power Modifier: +10%
The restrictions imposed on us by the Spanish regarding trade were high. Later rulers sought to allow commerce to flow through La Plata, but we never quite got what we wanted. Now that we are independent, we can trade however we want and introduce a new set of policies to help that.​
5) High Court of Buenos Aires - National Unrest: -1
Composing of two audiencias, the Real Audiencia de Buenos Aires resided in Buenos Aires, governing over the territories of Rio de la Plata. By reinstating this high court and appointing our best officials to run it, we can ensure justice for our citizens.​
6) Commerce Consulate of Buenos Aires - Merchants: +1 / Trade Efficiency: +10%
The Consulate of Commerce of Buenos Aires was one of the most important institutions in Rio de la Plata. Built on the request of local merchants, it functioned as a commercial court and as a society of economic development. Largely a guild of merchants, the Commerce Consulate was subject to the Spanish Crown. Now that we have gained independence, we can take control of this institution, and turn ourselves into a global trading power.​
7) Ensure Competent Administration - Yearly Republican Tradition: +0.5
Governors would often bribe their way to rulership of Rio de la Plata. We say, no more! In this new independent country, we will put our rulers under immense scrutiny to ensure they are completely capable of running our country.​
Ambition - Province Warscore Cost: -10%

Peru
Traditions - National Manpower Modifier: +10% / Reinforce Speed: +20%
1) Iglesia de la Companía de Jesus - Missionary Strength: +1%
The construction of the Church of the Society of Jesus was started in 1576 by the Jesuits. Being built over an underground chapel, it is considered one of the best examples of colonial baroque architecture in the Americas.​
2) Royal Commentaries of Peru - National Unrest: -1
Written by Garcilaso de la Vega, 'Comentarios Reales de los Incas' was his most well-known work. The Commentary had two volumes: the first about Inca life, and the second about the Spanish conquest of the Inca empire. Later on, Charles III of Spain banned the book, but now that we are independent we should continue circulating it. It'll educate people about our history and make everyone's mutual hatred for our previous colonial overlord even stronger.​
3) Battle Ready Shipwrights - Global Ship Repair: +10%
We should employ our country's finest shipwrights to work for the state. This way, if our fleet suffers a crushing defeat at the hands of our enemies, the ships can be repaired and ready to go much quicker than before.​
4) Mountain Forts - Fort Defense: +20%
Our glorious republic is dominated by mountainous terrain of the Andes. By building cities and fortifications in the mountains we can ensure our country remains protected.​
5) Naval Investiture - Heavy Ship Cost: -10% / Light Ship Cost: -10%
Our navy isn't quite as glorious as it should be. Being surrounded by nations with great armadas, we should put a much larger focus on our navy than we are doing currently.​
6) Mixed Culture - Prestige Decay: -1%
Built on the ground of many ancient civilizations, Peru has a varied culture. We should cherish this fact, and even promote our country as the bastion of acceptance.​
7) Fund Merchant Travels - Trade Range: +50% / Trade Steering: +5%
Other countries have their merchants act on a largely local scale. By encouraging our merchants to explore new lands and funding their travels, we can reach lands further away than our competitors and turn ourselves into a trading superpower.​
Ambition - Yearly Navy Tradition Decay: -2%

---

There we go, colonial nations getting a bit more flavour. I've missed a few (such as Haiti, Louisiana and a few others) but they may get done later.

Next time, nations won't be grouped as nice, because I've ran out of regions to group them into. I'll also start doing two per part so I have time for school.
Anyways, next time: Estonia and Karelia.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
When is the decolonization of South America - there is no land to colonize.
Even in the later starts where La Plata actually exists (which is way towards the end of the game) there is colonizable land. It's hard to imagine the Americas will be completely full by the time La Plata manages to gain independence, if at all.

Still "Settler Chance" is useless at this phase of the game.
Not really. The inners of Brazil by this point isn't colonized. The Southern Tip isn't colonized till later. There's plenty of room for expansion until it gets filled up. Then just go to Asia.

La Plata
Traditions
- Land Force Limit Modifier: +30% / Settler Chance: +10%
Río de la Plata is one of the most important rivers in South America. Our most populated cities are located around it, its many species of fish provide food for our citizens, and even our country is named after it.​
2) Cerro de Potosí - National Tax Modifier: +25%
Our country's in control of Cerro de Potosí, one of, if not the largest silver mine in the world. We can exploit this rich hill for all it's worth and make a fortune doing it.​
3) Found National Mint - Yearly Inflation Reduction: +0.10
By founding a national mint, we can make sure all of the silver we mine is properly turned into currency, as well as administer the creation of new coins.​
4) Mercantilist Policies - Provincial Trade Power Modifier: +10%
The restrictions imposed on us by the Spanish regarding trade were high. Later rulers sought to allow commerce to flow through La Plata, but we never quite got what we wanted. Now that we are independent, we can trade however we want and introduce a new set of policies to help that.​
5) High Court of Buenos Aires - National Unrest: -1
Composing of two audiencias, the Real Audiencia de Buenos Aires resided in Buenos Aires, governing over the territories of Rio de la Plata. By reinstating this high court and appointing our best officials to run it, we can ensure justice for our citizens.​
6) Commerce Consulate of Buenos Aires - Merchants: +1 / Trade Efficiency: +10%
The Consulate of Commerce of Buenos Aires was one of the most important institutions in Rio de la Plata. Built on the request of local merchants, it functioned as a commercial court and as a society of economic development. Largely a guild of merchants, the Commerce Consulate was subject to the Spanish Crown. Now that we have gained independence, we can take control of this institution, and turn ourselves into a global trading power.​
7) Ensure Competent Administration - Yearly Republican Tradition: +0.5
Governors would often bribe their way to rulership of Rio de la Plata. We say, no more! In this new independent country, we will put our rulers under immense scrutiny to ensure they are completely capable of running our country.​
Ambition - Province Warscore Cost: -10%
As someone from Argentina, I think those ideas don't reflect the country well enough, I'd suggest something like this, switched around, nerfed or strenghtened as needed:
La Plata
Traditions - Land Force Limit Modifier: +15% / Settler Chance: +10% Nerfed it because I buffed the rest of the set.
Río de la Plata is one of the most important rivers in South America. Our most populated cities are located around it, its many species of fish provide food for our citizens, and even our country is named after it. This is fine too.
2) Cross the Los Andes Mountains - Land Leader Manuever: +1
To be free from our colonial overlord, we must take their stronghold in Peru. And to do that we need to cross the Andes. Explanation: While it was important when the territory belonged to Spain, the Alto Perú region (modern-day Bolivia), where the Potosí is located, fell under Peru's sphere of influence quickly during and after the war of independence. So I feel it would be more appropriate to have a reference to one of the most iconic parts of Argentine history.
3) Primera Junta - Yearly Republican Tradition: +0.5
We, the people of La Plata should rule ourselves now that we are independent. The viceroy shall be replaced by an assembly formed by our best and brightest. Explanation: an inflation-reduction idea is practically anathema to Argentina, so I had to put something different, and decided to reference the first government in the country that had local rulers instead of Spaniards.
4) A New Flag For a New Nation - Yearly Prestige: +1
We can't keep using the symbols of our former overlord. We must create a new flag, with the colors of the sky and the sun, to represent the dawn of a glorious nation. Explanation: I had to have a reference to the Argentine flag, and this idea was kind of fluff.
5) Hear Mortals, The Sacred Cry - Monthly war exhaustion: -0.05
Our great new national anthem shall inspire the troops to keep on fighting for the nation, and not surrender against those who may want to take over the nation. Explanation: The name is the first line of the national anthem which I felt I had to reference. The original idea also seemed a bit of fluff.
6) Commerce Consulate of Buenos Aires - Trade Efficiency: +10%
The Consulate of Commerce of Buenos Aires was one of the most important institutions in Rio de la Plata. Built on the request of local merchants, it functioned as a commercial court and as a society of economic development. Largely a guild of merchants, the Commerce Consulate was subject to the Spanish Crown. Now that we have gained independence, we can take control of this institution, and turn ourselves into a global trading power. Nerfed by removing the merchant since the rest of the set was buffed.
7) Jujuy Exodus - Attrition for Enemies: +1
Since the enemy is strong in the north, we must abandon it, but we shall not let them profit from our lands. Explanation: I had already made a different RT idea, so I changed it for something else, and this was a relatively interesting event. Besides, measures against corruption are also anathema to the Argentine government.
Ambition - Time to fabricate claims: -20% Explanation: What's a reference to Argentine ambitions without a reference to the Falklands?

Reactions:
As someone from Argentina, I think those ideas don't reflect the country well enough, I'd suggest something like this, switched around, nerfed or strenghtened as needed
Those are good. Obviously I don't know much about their history because I'm not from there, but I tried.
You could bet I could make Croatian ideas better than the current ones.

Reactions: