• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

exaenae

Corporal
24 Badges
Jan 29, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Funj
Traditions - Recruitment Time: -10% / Land Maintenance Modifier: -10%
1) Educated Merchants - Diplomatic Technology Cost: -10%

The capital, Sennar, became prosperous through trade, hosting representatives from all over the Middle East and Africa. Our merchants travel the world and are exposed to many different cultures. They don't only bring goods from their travels, they also bring knowledge.
2) Sennar Syncretism - Religious Unity: +25%
In 1523 the monarchy officially converted to Islam, though many elements of Coptic beliefs remained. While Islam was officially the state religion, most citizens followed a syncretic faith.
3) Heavy Cavalry - Cavalry Combat Ability: +20%
The armies of Funj rely mostly on heavy cavalry, horsemen armoured with chainmail while their horses were covered in thick quilts and copper headgear.
4) Monarch-Controlled Caravans - Caravan Power: +15%
In the Sultanate of Funj, all caravans were controlled by the monarch, as was the country's gold supply that functioned as the state's main currency.
5) Noble Cavalry - Cavalry Cost: -10%
The Sultanate's standing army was composed of a great mass of infantry troops, with regiments mostly drawn from peasantry. But while the cavalry was less present, it was only drawn from the nobility, to ensure the finest trained horses and the best riders.
6) Professional Standing Armies - Discipline: +5% / Fort Defense: +5%
Funj had the largest standing army in East Africa until the 1810s. These men were garrisoned in castles and forts throughout the sultanate. The country's heavy reliance on a standing army meant their armies were usually smaller, but highly effective against the less organized armies of their enemies.
7) State-Administered Currency - Yearly Inflation Reduction: +0.10
By having the state take direct control of the issuing of new currency, as well as running scrupulous checks to assure the people in charge of the mints are competent. This way we will have no problems with inflation.
Ambition - Tolerance of Heathens: +2

Kaffa
Traditions - Yearly Inflation Reduction: +0.10 / Advisor Cost: -15%
1) Kefficho Language - Hostile Core-Creation Cost on Us: +25%

Despite their differences, everyone in our nation speaks the same language. This reinforces our sense of nationalism and makes it harder for foreign rulers to be accepted by our citizens.
2) Manjo, Manne and Qemmo - Stability Cost Modifier: -10%
Our nation, like many others, is separated into classes. Some of the most important groups in our kingdom are the Manjo (hunters), the Manne (leatherworkers), and the Qemmo (blacksmiths). By giving them what they want and granting them a certain level of autonomy, we can ensure stability in the country.
3) Fertile Lands - National Manpower Modifier: +15%
The mountainous lands of Kaffa are quite fertile, capable of up to three harvests a year, ensuring there is always enough food for our citizens.
4) Diplomats and Spies - National Spy Defense: +20%
Our diplomats, while quite skilled, could serve an even better purpose: defending our own lands from attacks by foreign spies as well as infiltrating enemy administration and learning their secrets.
5) Found Coptic Churches - Missionaries: +1
In order to spread the true faith far and wide, we must first found churches in many of our cities in an attempt to convert the heathens.
6) Manjo Guards - Mercenary Maintenance: -25% / Available Mercenaries: +50%
Hunters, or manjo, are considered an important part of our society. They have their own king, appointed directly by the king of Kaffa, and are given the duties of guarding the royal compounds and the gates of the kingdom.
7) Reform the Kaffa Caste System - National Tax Modifier: +10%
Our society is separated into various classes with various amounts of wealth to their names. While we cannot take from the rich and give to the poor, we can reform the caste system to ensure everyone is better off, especially the state.
Ambition - Land Attrition: -10%

Morocco
Traditions - Hostile Core-Creation Cost on Us: +50% / National Manpower Modifier: +10%
1) Berber Cavalry - Cavalry Cost: -10% / Cavalry Combat Ability: +10%

We are a Berber country, and the Berber cavalry is some of the finest cavalry in the Muslim world. We must exploit this for our benefit.
2) Legacy of Ibn Battuta - Can hire explorers and conquistadors / Yearly Prestige: +1
Ibn Battuta was a Moroccan explorer that covered North Africa, Arabia and the majority of Asia. His legacy still remains with us.
3) Found Madrassas - Technology Cost: -10%
Madrassas are the basis of education in Muslim countries. If we found new ones and fund old ones, the whole country can benefit.
4) Barbary Pirates - Galley Combat Ability: +25%
The Barbary pirates were pirates and privateers who operated from North Africa. By recruiting these experienced sailors into our navies, our navy can be a truly frightening sight to behold.
5) Jihad - Missionary Strength: +2%
Jihad is our religious duty to maintain and spread the Muslim faith. We should strive for this goal and spread our faith for the glory of Allah.
6) Protect the Trans-Saharan Trade Route - Provincial Trade Power Modifier: +15%
The Trans-Saharan trade route is one of the most important sources of income for the Sultanate of Morocco. We should improve and protect this important route and reap the benefits.
7) Imperial Maghreb - Morale of Armies: +15% (bumped down from +20%)
The early Moroccan dynasties created an idea of an Imperial Maghreb, encompassing all of the lands of the Maghreb under a single Berber aegis. We should strive to accomplish this idea.
Ambition - Galley Cost: -20%

---

I figured I'd post some more of these. If I'm posting these too often just let me know and I'll tone it down, but I have quite a few ideas already made that I'd like to post, but I don't want to post it all in one thread because it'd be too much.

I went for a bit of a different approach with these, with every country having a unique thing about it, but the bonuses are generally scaled by how historically important the countries were.

Next up: Iraq, Lebanon, Yemen

Last edited:
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I think that the 3rd funj idea should be nerfed to a reasonable 15%. You are putting heavy cavalry at the same level as the hordes'

EDIT: AND ELAN FOR MORROCO! Please nerf that.

Otherwise, good suggestions :)

I think that the 3rd funj idea should be nerfed to a reasonable 15%. You are putting heavy cavalry at the same level as the hordes'

EDIT: AND ELAN FOR MORROCO! Please nerf that.

Otherwise, good suggestions :)

I think I'll leave Funj's third idea as it is, because their armies compared to some other African states were quite well trained. Morocco should probably be nerfed though.

Please no more buff to Morocco's galley combat ability, as unlike Tlemcen and Tunisia, the country borders Atlantic Ocean, where galleys have combat penalty rather than advantages.

I think ibn buttata should be an event, Just as portugal and spain have that event for christopher colombus. In-stead there should be something else in place for that. As for galley combat ability, It should be naval forcelimits increase?

I think ibn buttata should be an event, Just as portugal and spain have that event for christopher colombus. In-stead there should be something else in place for that. As for galley combat ability, It should be naval forcelimits increase?

Given that Ibn Battuta existed before the game's timeline, an event wouldn't make much sense. As for the Galley Combat Ability, I'll consider changing it.

Reactions:
I would rather have a fort defence modifier for Kaffa instead of hostile core creation.

I think that Ibn Battuta should be Recriutment of Explorers etc. and Colonist +1 because Yearly Prestige doesn't make sense with recruiting. The colonist pairs well and even though it's the same thing with Norway, it makes sense.
My other point is that the description should be changed to talk about how since we've heard of the New World, we should explore and establish some of these new lands as ours.

Reactions:
I think that Ibn Battuta should be Recriutment of Explorers etc. and Colonist +1 because Yearly Prestige doesn't make sense with recruiting. The colonist pairs well and even though it's the same thing with Norway, it makes sense.
My other point is that the description should be changed to talk about how since we've heard of the New World, we should explore and establish some of these new lands as ours.

The prestige was in the original idea and I never really cared for removing it because it was a decent bonus. The reason I didn't want to give Morocco a colonist is because it would be highly ahistorical. Then again, this is an ahistorical game, so I may make an exception. I'd probably move the idea later on if they were given a colonist though.

Reactions:
The prestige was in the original idea and I never really cared for removing it because it was a decent bonus. The reason I didn't want to give Morocco a colonist is because it would be highly ahistorical. Then again, this is an ahistorical game, so I may make an exception. I'd probably move the idea later on if they were given a colonist though.
No I like the Prestige. But isn't there a book that Ahmed al Mansur wrote that he wanted the New World to have Moroccans? Or am I mistaken (Shattered Europe Mod uses it, but it makes sense.)

no no no colonists please, Morocco would be an almost uncleanable stain on the new world with their sunni religion and hostile coring costs 50%.

Reactions:
no no no colonists please, Morocco would be an almost uncleanable stain on the new world with their sunni religion and hostile coring costs 50%.

Their CNs wouldn't have that core cost modifier, and colonial nations all get +3% missionary strength. Only animist and crap like Sikh CNs would struggle to convert that back. Certainly, you can make a sound case a colonist isn't merited, but not the one you're making :p.

Reactions:
Their CNs wouldn't have that core cost modifier, and colonial nations all get +3% missionary strength. Only animist and crap like Sikh CNs would struggle to convert that back. Certainly, you can make a sound case a colonist isn't merited, but not the one you're making :p.
What about when they colonise africa and india? Not only that, I bet they'll be an even bigger colonial pest than portugal because they get an extra colonist meaning it'd be harder to stop them from spreading off of already finished colonies

What about when they colonise africa and india? Not only that, I bet they'll be an even bigger colonial pest than portugal because they get an extra colonist meaning it'd be harder to stop them from spreading off of already finished colonies

They'd have to either speed westernize (I'm talking pre-1550) or pick exploration first or they'd never get much in Africa past Tuat. Without exploration I think they'd need well past DIP tech 9 just to reach South Africa, and without exploration they can't see it (even after, they'll still not see it for 25 years after 1st explorer). Colonial typically has land in South Africa by 1550 already, how is Morocco going to reach there? But if they get DIP 7 they can probably reach South America, where it's quite likely they'll get ruined by AI Noobtugal or Spain regardless.

Welp, as long as the free colonist doesn't show up until later in the game, I suppose... But that's an issue if you're playing as someone else other than spain or portugal, Sometimes morocco can and will beat them back off of north africa... Then they will be a colonial pest

Welp, as long as the free colonist doesn't show up until later in the game, I suppose... But that's an issue if you're playing as someone else other than spain or portugal, Sometimes morocco can and will beat them back off of north africa... Then they will be a colonial pest

They'll still virtually never make colonies in Africa. Ivory coast is colonized pretty heavily by 1520-1530. Muslim tech still can't even see that in those years. They'll never get the range to hop down Africa in time, even if it was their TRADITION lol.

They'll still virtually never make colonies in Africa. Ivory coast is colonized pretty heavily by 1520-1530. Muslim tech still can't even see that in those years. They'll never get the range to hop down Africa in time, even if it was their TRADITION lol.
So, if they are not going to be able to colonize, why they should get a colonist?

I didn't claim they should, just that the reasoning presented against them having it was silly.

Because Morocco getting benefits for colonizing will add more flavor to Morocco because Morocco doesn't do much. They either die to Portugal or do nothing. Getting them a opportunity to do something will give them something new (Like colonizing the West African Inland Provinces. Plus a new colonizer in South America makes things more Interesting and adds more competition to an otherwise one or two nation colonization (I'm looking at you Spain and Portugal).