• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ajsieg

First Lieutenant
40 Badges
Sep 8, 2015
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Hi guys/gals. This is my second Idea change (I put the first one in the wrong thread :p). The first is in my signature. But I used the criticism that I got and added more flavor and less historical accuracy. Therefore, I present you with Hainaut!

Hainaut Ideas

Traditions:

• Production Efficiency +10%
  • Trade Efficiency +10%
Ideas:

• German Influences: We are situated between the our French neighbors and the German Dutch people. Naturally, this has led to us accepting their traditions so that there is no difference between us. Accepted Culture Threshold -15%

• Freed from Burgundian Influence: Now that we are freed from our overlords, it’s time to rise again and become a nation that will never be acquired by anyone else. Let’s call our men to join the ranks so we will show the world that we won’t be subjects again. National Manpower Modifier +10%

• Appease our Enemies: In this world, we aren't ruled by the Spanish, or anybody else. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't be ruled by someone else. So when the issue of religion comes to our courts, we should follow the ways of our enemies so there is no excuse for them to invade. Tolerance of the True Faith +2

• Center of Outside Encroachment: Our Country is situated on the Crossroads of Western Europe. To the north of us is the Dutch, east of us is the Germans, and south of us is the French. This provides us easy and efficient ways for our Diplomats to arrive at their destinations and arrive back home quickly to their families. Envoy Time Travel -25%

• Learn From Our Neighbors: Our neighbors have always had a better time. To the north our friends control Antwerp. Our enemies are pushing the limit for new innovations. We must learn from our neighbors in order to keep up in the world. Technology Cost -5%

• Increase our Nationalism: We must rise up in our glory. Tell every man, woman, and child in our land who we are. Tell them who they are fighting for. Now that we are on our own, let’s keep it that way and tell our men to fight for their country! Morale of Armies +10%

• Protect against the French: Now that we are established our rule, we must face against our biggest threat, the French. Bordering us, this is our greatest threat to our existence. We must use our Diplomatic Skills and form alliances to push back the Big Blue Blob. Better Relation Over Time +20%
Ambitions:

• Leader Fire +1
Come back next week for my new custom idea group: Free City Ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't BROT+30% and accepted culture -15 a bit OP?
Not really. I mean BROT probably shouldn't be 30% (More like 20%) but Accepted Culture isn't that bad. Multiple Nations have it in their ideas. But it make sense for Hainaut because the country is centered between different ethic groups. So it would make sense for them to have it.

These ideas are a bit op, maybe toning down the BROT, tax, and either choosing TOTF or papal influence

BROT: I moved it to 20%
Tax: I think you mean trade (I'll lower it down to 10%).
Papal: I'll go Papal Influence.

If something is wrong, give me a replacement for it. I don't know what you want me to do when you say something is (Accepted Culture is OP. Do you want me to lower it? Do you want me to replace it? Please tell me. Otherwise I can't fix it. @Clausewitz_ Thank you for telling me how to fix it. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
-10% should be fine for a nation of Hainaut's tier.
You can argue both ways (Athens has -15% but I'm digressing). But yes, that would be better. Thank you for answering.

20% tax is only matched by the papal state, and that is their unique idea. 10% tax should be fine. The culture acceptance is fine honestly
Agreed with the culture.. But I don't have tax modifier in there. You mean Manpower +20%? That makes sense to change it to 10%.

You can argue both ways (Athens has -15% but I'm digressing). But yes, that would be better. Thank you for answering.
But athens position is very diffrent from hainuts. While they both border powerful foes Hainut is still part of the HRE and thus will be less likely to get squished by france than athens is to be squished by the ottomans. And that's ignoring that the ottomans get mission claims on everyone and their grandma.

Why would the people of Hainaut be devout Catholics? The reformation in the Netherlands started in these areas, and it was the Castilian devoutness that persecuted the reformed till they fled to the north

But athens position is very diffrent from hainuts. While they both border powerful foes Hainut is still part of the HRE and thus will be less likely to get squished by france than athens is to be squished by the ottomans. And that's ignoring that the ottomans get mission claims on everyone and their grandma.
True. But if France blobs, then Austria can't do much. Plus if Austria gets the Burgundian Inheritance (Sorry, I mean Bohemia ;)), then Austria will might attack Hainaut. Plus it makes sense because any way of expansion that isn't Burgundy, France, or Aachen (Free City) is German cultures.

Why would the people of Hainaut be devout Catholics? The reformation in the Netherlands started in these areas, and it was the Castilian devoutness that persecuted the reformed till they fled to the north

Devout is probably not the best word. My point is show how they were always Catholic (Even if the Reformation was started there.) Even though they were forced to be, they willingly stayed Catholics and accepted Spanish rule (Even though the Spanish Leader influenced them.) when the Netherlands revolted. It makes sense to add something about being Catholicism. What would be you idea to replace it?

True. But if France blobs, then Austria can't do much. Plus if Austria gets the Burgundian Inheritance (Sorry, I mean Bohemia ;)), then Austria will might attack Hainaut. Plus it makes sense because any way of expansion that isn't Burgundy, France, or Aachen (Free City) is German cultures.
Yeah I don't mind the -15% all that much since it's cumulative by multiplication anyway so decreased culture threshhold isn't all that great anyway (your new treshhold becomes 8.5% rather than 10% if i'm not mistaken). I always figured the regular accepted cultures threshhold should be 10% of the primary culture not 10% of total.
I'm just saying there are many things to take into account when comparing two tags.

Yeah I don't mind the -15% all that much since it's cumulative by multiplication anyway so decreased culture threshhold isn't all that great anyway (your new treshhold becomes 8.5% rather than 10% if i'm not mistaken). I always figured the regular accepted cultures threshhold should be 10% of the primary culture not 10% of total.
I'm just saying there are many things to take into account when comparing two tags.
That is very true and I see what you mean now. Generally, people are 50-50 with it. Some people think it's fine while some think it's OP. But I agree that it isn't the most powerful thing (Except -50% in Humanist. That's actually great.).

Devout is probably not the best word. My point is show how they were always Catholic (Even if the Reformation was started there.) Even though they were forced to be, they willingly stayed Catholics and accepted Spanish rule (Even though the Spanish Leader influenced them.) when the Netherlands revolted. It makes sense to add something about being Catholicism. What would be you idea to replace it?
Traitors to the north: In our fight for tolerance and autonomy, we betrayed our brothers and joined Spain in the war. This has pissed them off severely and we should fortify our nation before their rage will crush our province.
-10% fort maintenence
+10% fort defence

Traitors to the north: In our fight for tolerance and autonomy, we betrayed our brothers and joined Spain in the war. This has pissed them off severely and we should fortify our nation before their rage will crush our province.
-10% fort maintenence
+10% fort defence
I think you mean supported the rightful owners of the low countries and stayed loyal to the true king;)

I think you mean supported the rightful owners of the low countries and stayed loyal to the true king;)
Do I need to beat like we beat Spain last world cup?