• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WeeBigTerd101

Captain
2 Badges
Nov 16, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Battle for Bosporus
Existential connection
Increased resource output and reduced deviancy on all planets
This "hive" mind is closer in resemblance to a single individual existing in many bodies than your ordinary hivemind.

Animalistic tenancies
This civic would be similar to inward perfectionist.
This hive has perplexingly made it to space with an underdeveloped mind, making diplomacy, and its drones, quite animalistic and brutish.

Organic structures
Replaces a large amount of mineral costs for buildings and armies, and a large amount of the alloy cost and upkeep, with food.

Food is ships! (idk a good description)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Probably best to leave it vague rather than put in hard numbers. In my games and on my galaxy size, I usually don't go above several hundred pops.
true but I like to be certain with what I think up

true but I like to be certain with what I think up
With 3.0.3 1000 is a lot of pops, getting more than that, as a hive mind no less, is not a simple task, if you were to try really hard assimilating empires 2k would be doable, forget the 100k pops you would need to reach the cap, and that bonus for that amount of pops is very weak. Set it to between 50-100 pops rather than 1,000 and it would be worthwhile

Reduced deviancy isn't that good of a bonus, that civic will need to do more to be worthwhile.

Similarly Animalistic Tendancies increased menial drone output is not enough to balance the negatives, the fact that you can't engage in Diplomacy is a pretty hefty nerf on its own, I suppose your idea was to have maybe an Inward perfectionist hive mind?

It's always nice to add numbers but if the exact balance point is in question you need to be more flexible and vague amounts may be better in your suggestion.

Reactions:
With 3.0.3 1000 is a lot of pops, getting more than that, as a hive mind no less, is not a simple task, if you were to try really hard assimilating empires 2k would be doable, forget the 100k pops you would need to reach the cap, and that bonus for that amount of pops is very weak. Set it to between 50-100 pops rather than 1,000 and it would be worthwhile

Reduced deviancy isn't that good of a bonus, that civic will need to do more to be worthwhile.

Similarly Animalistic Tendancies increased menial drone output is not enough to balance the negatives, the fact that you can't engage in Diplomacy is a pretty hefty nerf on its own, I suppose your idea was to have maybe an Inward perfectionist hive mind?

It's always nice to add numbers but if the exact balance point is in question you need to be more flexible and vague amounts may be better in your suggestion.
I agree with everything you are saying but the 1000 pops thing. in the beginning empires start with around 30 pops. 30/1000=.03 which is 3% and with it being hard to reach 1000 pops in 3.0.3 then that means it'll be harder to reach 100%. But I do agree that the second and third civics I suggested are kind of weak so I'll edit it and make it vague.

I dunno about giving an additional reward for bulking up and assimilating neighbors.

Expanded production capacity is already its own reward, isn't it?

Reactions:
I agree with everything you are saying but the 1000 pops thing. in the beginning empires start with around 30 pops. 30/1000=.03 which is 3% and with it being hard to reach 1000 pops in 3.0.3 then that means it'll be harder to reach 100%. But I do agree that the second and third civics I suggested are kind of weak so I'll edit it and make it vague.
3% of the way to a 1% bonus, and in your average game your not going to stack that modifier, devourers can't even expand beyond their cap either, once they hit their pop cap their done, no more expanding, that 1% first level bonus is their hard cap, and it is just nowhere near strong enough. The civic is also a dead civic for about the first century. You'd be crazy to pick it up at the beginning, if the cap needed to trigger the modifier is lower then stacking the modifier is much easier, and the civic is much more interesting, it's usable by devourers which is a plus, and you can pick it up early game and it doesn't take a century to trigger it.

I get that your on console, but you will be playing 3.0.3 soon enough, and that is the game the developers are working on, if I was you it would be preferable to shy away from any mechanic that scales with population. In fact due to the slider that controls your logarithmic pop growth curve its a good idea in general to not have any mechanic that scales with population ad inevitably you have to balance it on 2 very different pop numbers, 1 without a curve, and 1 with a strict curve, and you just aren't going to find a happy balance there

I also want to caution you about developing mechanics on admin cap, the latest dev diary suggests that admin cap will be going the way of the dodo, leaving sprawl as mechanic that you can't counter but can mitigate the effects with Unity

Reactions:
Existential connection
Increased resource output and reduced deviancy on all planets at the cost of admincap production and higher admin penalty
This "hive" mind is closer in resemblance to a single individual existing in many bodies than your ordinary hivemind.

Animalistic tenancies
This civic would be similar to inward perfectionist.
This hive has perplexingly made it to space with an underdeveloped mind, making diplomacy, and its drones, quite animalistic and brutish.

Organic structures
Replaces a large amount of mineral costs for buildings and armies, and a large amount of the alloy cost and upkeep, with food.

Food is ships! (idk a good description)
Just edited this post with my updated ideas instead of making a new one.

Last edited: