• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just idle speculation, but the upcoming PDS game is probably Martin Anward's project. He's been working on it since 2018 and I imagine his radio silence in recent times has to do with keeping stuff under wraps. That's interesting because:
  • He was partially responsible for the last Victoria 2 patch, which would make him a good candidate to lead a sequel.
  • On the other hand, he was also a lead on Stellaris, PDS' only non-historical game thus far, which could set him up to direct a fantasy GSG.
So this doesn't really settle it between these two possibilities, but it does make both more likely. The other likely alternative I considered is a Late Antiquity GSG, but that is largely because I dimly recall a dev expressing interest in the idea. I think that was Chris King, who is no longer with Paradox and whose project I suspect is the one that was cancelled semi-recently. Of course, that project could also have been Victoria 3...

But like I said, this is all speculation.

Reactions:
Just idle speculation, but the upcoming PDS game is probably Martin Anward's project. He's been working on it since 2018 and I imagine his radio silence in recent times has to do with keeping stuff under wraps. That's interesting because:
  • He was partially responsible for the last Victoria 2 patch, which would make him a good candidate to lead a sequel.
  • On the other hand, he was also a lead on Stellaris, PDS' only non-historical game thus far, which could set him up to direct a fantasy GSG.
So this doesn't really settle it between these two possibilities, but it does make both more likely. The other likely alternative I considered is a Late Antiquity GSG, but that is largely because I dimly recall a dev expressing interest in the idea. I think that was Chris King, who is no longer with Paradox and whose project I suspect is the one that was cancelled semi-recently. Of course, that project could also have been Victoria 3...

But like I said, this is all speculation.
Paradox has grown a lot in the past few years, and imo, the changes to paradoxes other games, make it less likely the new userbase will enjoy victoria 3; which is sad really. Hence why I think it's not victoria 3, but still hope so badly it is.

Reactions:
Considering people noticed that CK3 has the foundations for the whole of China in its map already I find it doubtful we'll get an East Asian CK equivalent a la Sengoku, it seems foolish to say Vicky 3 considering we all always do but honestly unless we're gonna get something really leftfield I'm not sure what else it could be.

Reactions:
if it was done like Stellaris they could bypass the whole lore and worldbuilding requirement.
They couldn't do it like Stellaris. Their random new world generation is passable for a side thing, but it's not remotely adequate for creating wholly interesting worlds to play in. That doesn't get into the issue of creating a lore, lore being very important to the fantasy setting in a way it doesn't need to be as much when all the characters are from different planets. If PDS is releasing a fantasy game it will more likely resemble one of their historical game's than Stellaris I'd wager.
I wont be surprised to see Paradox say it wont be a new Victoria title over the next few weeks, then announce a new game covering the same period with much of V2 scope but starting a lot earlier than before (Revolutionary France or even earlier. around 1750 would be good) with a different name.
Hmm, I've been suspecting if a Victoria 3 dropped it would be a "Bismarck" myself, but I don't think that is the most likely option since "Victoria 3" already has name recognition in a way "EU: Rome" didnt. Though I feel stretching it to so early would only further compound the need for some way for the game to represent the traditional line warfare -> front line warfare transition we see as entrenchment increases though. Would also make the development of industrial forces in a lot of the map like 3 times as long, which I'm not sure players in Russia or Japan will be a fan of.

• 5Like
Reactions:
"Victoria 3" already has name recognition in a way "EU: Rome" didnt.
I'd go even further, EU:Rome had brand recognition of another franchise as a spin-off, so people would tend to consider it a product of lesser importance, a side project.
With that in mind, the rebranding made all the more sense.
That is not the case for Victoria.

Reactions:
I would go totaly crazy for a Vic 3 announcement, but honestly, looking at the state od EU4, i'm betting its EU5. I don't want it, i want Vic 3, but Paradox is greedy af and will only make a safe bet at this point.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would go totaly crazy for a Vic 3 announcement, but honestly, looking at the state od EU4, i'm betting its EU5. I don't want it, i want Vic 3, but Paradox is greedy af and will only make a safe bet at this point.
They aren't going to do that at the same time a DLC for it is dropping. It would kill sales for Leviathan to announce the next game at the same time. Making the purchase for EU followers pointless. Also for other reasons I doubt Leviathan is the last DLC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Huh, look at what I found in the PDXCON discord channel.
Screenshot_20210316-003937.png

Thought it was too good not to share.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
They'll call it "Napoleon III" just to troll us.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
A fantasy GSG with random world map would be great. Sending out fellowships to retrieve magical artifacts or defeat ancient evils, choose to develop a magical realm using wizardry or dragons on the battlefield or go all steampunk and seems out your airships to dominate the lands. A big plus would be asymmetric startpositions with large and small nations with varying backgrounds. Upcoming Kingdom, recently migrated tribes, crumbling elf empire, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
EUV will be Paradox Tinto, not Paradox Development Studio.

Not to mention, Tinto only just started working. So, EUIV only just started , if it started at all. So it won't be a year at least before they announce anything.

I'd say Stellaris 2 or Vicky 3.

Huh... so Johan has decided to culture convert to Spanish... Neat.

Stellaris 2 makes no more sense than HoI 5. They're barely five years old, that's well within the established development cycle of a Paradox game. Plus there's really no sign of development for Stellaris slowing down. Why release a sequel when there's plenty to be milked from the first one? I say that with all due love and affection.

I'd say what the game will be is split between three possibilities:

1) New IP GSG, possibly a fantasy title, though I'm hoping on a Dark Ages one. 40%

2) Simply an outside game that's merely published by Paradox. 50%

3) Victoria 3. 10%

Reactions:
1) New IP GSG, possibly a fantasy title, though I'm hoping on a Dark Ages one. 40%
A dark ages game could be cool, but if people already say a 19th century would be a huge gamble these days, this one would go much beyond that, it the mother of all niches in strategy gaming.
Even if we're talking about just the Roman Empire, an extension for Imperator would be much more natural, there's already a demand for that even, it's a prevalent complain in the community that the campaign is too short right now, as anyone but the GPs, the game ends just when you're getting off the ground.

2) Simply an outside game that's merely published by Paradox. 50%
It'll be from PDS.

Reactions:
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Reactions:
but if people already say a 19th century would be a huge gamble these days
It's not the setting that's the gamble, it's the mechanics. They want a Vicky 3 that does Vicky 2 justice.

Frankly Vicky 3 is right up there with Rome 2 for Paradox Forum Cults.

Stellaris 2 makes no more sense than HoI 5.
HOI4 was built upon the experience they had from HOI1-3.
Stellaris is something new and they obviously know they have made some bad choices in its development as a lot of major systems have been completely changed. Out of the current GSG games Stellaris is probably the one that needs a fresh start the most.

• 1Like
Reactions: