• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Resinex112

Corporal
1 Badges
Feb 16, 2015
  • A Game of Dwarves
New_England_pine_flag.svg

"I first drew in New England's air, and from her hardy breast
Sucked in the tyrant-hating milk that will not let me rest."
Prologue:
The war of 1812 ravaged the North American continent. Thousands of men, women, and children lost their lives to both British and American atrocities. Likely the worse effected place was New England, its country side ravaged by first the British conquerors, then the American 'liberators'. Its factories closed, its workers slain, its hope shattered. The war left it in chains and shackles, but not by the British, but by the Americans. The British planted the seed of identity and uniqueness into the people of New England, and the southern Yanks thought of this as too dangerous to the Union, and tried putting an end to it.

Mass censorship, brutality, and intervention into the everyday lives of the New Englanders made them resent the Yanks. Gone were the days of unity and national identity, for the days of New England being separate from the Union were here. The states of New England met together in what is now known as the 'Boston Conference' and signed the 'Declaration of Secession from the Union'. The war was brief and victory was won, with help from the British, relatively quickly; taking just over a year. With this victory a second Boston Conference was held, and the New England Constitution was drafted and ratified with 107 signers. Now the New Englanders were truly free from the tyranny of the Southern Yanks.

Introduction:
Hi and welcome to my AAR! This will be mostly a political narrative, and will focus on the governments and presidents of New England. I am using a custom mod that I have made (if there is enough interest I'll go and post it in the Victoria 2 Modding section) which does the following:
  • New England is now independent from the start, and owns all of Massachusetts and New England (including Caribou).
  • A new culture - New Englander - is added to the game, but is a minority in the country at the start.
  • A decision titled the Maritime Purchase has been added.
  • A new government type has been added. It is exactly the same as Democracy but with elections every 5 years (I decided it'd be better for the AAR if each update was of the 5 year term of the government).
Hopefully you find this AAR enjoyable. If you enjoyed my previous (albeit brief) AAR titled Love of Liberty and also AARs such as Empire of the Pacific then this AAR may be for you! (Hopefully, I don't think I'd be able to achieve the amazing narrative created by Frymonmon :p)

Goals:
My goals for this AAR are pretty dynamic, and truth be told I haven't thought much about it. What I do know I want though is:
  • Become a Great Power.
  • Become the global industry super power (Rank 1 preferable, definitely top 3).
  • Dominate the North-West Atlantic.
  • Global Police.
Contents:
Lore Pages:

Last edited:
subbed!

Chapter 1: Morton

New England in 1836 was wildly different to the New England in 1815. Already in its short twenty year history it had experienced five elections; all of which were won by the conservative Democratic Party. President Morton believed that he and his party were in an age of political dominance, and as a result became much more controversial in his second and final term*. He ordered a report on the nations industry, and after seeing it decided to intervene more into the economics of the nation. This angered the liberal Federalist Party, who saw it as an abuse of power by the President. Morton however dismissed these claims, stating that “in order to build a stronger economy to compete with the likes of the British Empire, the Prussians, and the Yanks, we must allow the government to control more aspects of the economy and create higher regulations in order to truly create an economy and industry worth competing!”

KLe9oxF.png

The Industry of New England

In the international stage, things were heating up down south. The region of Texas, which has long been colonised by Yanks even though it is legally Mexican, has taken up arms against its mother-country, declaring a Texan Republic. President Morton, seeing a chance to become closer with the United States largest competitor in the region, declared to his cabinet that New England should send war subsidies to Mexico to aid it in its war. Not long after this however the United States intervened in the war on the side of the traitorous Texans. This was seen as an act of unnecessary aggression, and was declared by the international community as a “way of America conquering land without declaring it to be conquered in war”.
qvrw5iq.png
Mexican Occupation of Texas​

President Morton once again set his eyes on his home country. He noticed a large lack of railways, and so founded the New England Eastern Rail Co., Ltd. This company was not however state owned, and instead owned by Marcus Morton himself. He constructed the first North-South railway, connecting the capital Boston with the far northern Caribou. This however was seen as a way of dominating the early railroad industry of New England, and was heavily criticised by the Federalists. The company soon began works on the North-South Line, which was estimated to be completed in only two years.

mFXF0Y2.png

The Planed North-South Line​

On June 1st 1838, news came in from Mexico of their victory against the Yanks and the Texans! President Morton decided to make a speech to the people, who were unsure about supporting the Mexicans up to that point. “Fellow New Englanders, news has reached my office today of victory against the Imperialist Yanks, and Mexican reclamation of her sovereign lands. I hope and wish that the aid we provided to them has cemented our relations as good ones, and that we can continue working together! Three Cheers for Mexico! Three Cheers for New England! Three Cheers for Unity!"
4ZV2Uck.png

The Map of North America, as of 1838.

Progress swept the nation in the year 1839 with the nation’s philosophers all working towards Romanticism. With the philosophy researched, President Morton set his eyes on the up-and-coming elections. As in accordance with the New England constitution, he could not legally run for a third term. However, he could select who he wishes to be his successor. After reviewing several dozens of files on prominent politicians within the Democratic Party, Morton chose who he was going to nominate.
afT7WXN.png

The news of Progress and Elections.

The elections were on, with the Federalist Party’s nominee being the young Joseph Peterson. The Democratic Party chose Mortons candidate as their presidential nominee, a man named Andrew Ashton. Ashton was in his twilight years, being born just before the start of the American War of Independence. He had served his whole life in politics, and was a governor of Massachusetts, and a New England Founding Father. Peterson however was a young liberal from the New England south. He was born when New England was only a few months old, and was considered to be one of the brightest young minds in New England at the time. The election was extremely close, but Ashton just managed to clench the victory and inaugurated as President on his 65th birthday in June of 1840.
daQf763.png

The Electoral Map of New England**
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authors Notes:
Thank you very much for the interest in this AAR! Writing the first post was a blast, though it is unfortunately small. I hope that you all enjoy reading this, and lets hope that it is more successful than Love of Liberty!
* - The New England Constitution states that Presidents are limited to two five year terms.
** - I have based the constituent borders on the counties in-game due to a lack of knowledge and prior research on my half - sorry! Also, I determined which party one which area based on the party map mode in-game, which is almost exactly like this.

interesting! areyou planning some kind of expansion/colonialism?

Droom - Thanks for the support! I'm planning on doing short but hopefully frequent updates to this.

guillec87 - I might do colonialism if I can time everything right, but I'm not that great of a player so that likely wont happen! :p
Though I must say, Haiti does look quite nice...

Droom - Thanks for the support! I'm planning on doing short but hopefully frequent updates to this.

guillec87 - I might do colonialism if I can time everything right, but I'm not that great of a player so that likely wont happen! :p
Though I must say, Haiti does look quite nice...
If you can get to Hawaii (I have no idea how) that would be a great way to expand.

President Ashton, with his slim popular mandate, set to work on shaping the nation into his own image. He passed several policies, which collectively are now known as the “Blood and Iron Acts”. These acts angered thousands of miners within the nation, causing hundreds of deaths. This was one of the first nails in Ashtons coffin. Not only were the acts unpopular, but the people were growing tired of the Democratic Parties dominance of the New England political landscape. As well as this, Marcus Morton leaked to the press how he regretted choosing such an ‘old guard backwards reactionary’ as his successor. The Democratic Party was starting to fail, with several prominent members – including Morton himself – leaving the party and joining the Federalists.

PgOTIrv.png

The policy, Marcus Morton, and a Miner.

President Ashton, with him being an interventionist at heart, was delighted when he heard that the profits of the New England Eastern Rail Co., Ltd were falling. The company, whose founder and chairman is previous President Marcus Morton, reported that the companies’ profits were down 120% since the last quarter. This sudden spiral into losses had forced Morton to declare the company bankrupt. Ashton, seeing a chance to boost his popularity, declared that the government would bail out the company with a large grant, then offer it a loan with low interest rates.

KFZ5wV1.png

New England Eastern Rail Co, Ltd. was 'saved' by Ashton.

Moments after signing off the grant, news came in of an international crisis. The conflict was over the colonial region of Columbia, and who should be the imperial masters of it. France, seeing this as a chance to topple the United Kingdom’s colonial dominance, joined the United States side in the crisis. No other great power saw this, and Emperor Ferdinand of Austria is quoted as saying “this petty disagreement between old Imperials and new is not worth the international stages time.” After a few weeks of negotiations, the United Kingdom was declared the victor, and was given full rights over the region.

vrIQynU.png

The report that President Ashton received, along with the telegram announcing the end of the crisis.

Ashton was set on creating a plan that would boost his ratings before the up-coming election. He decided to create a foundation of doctors that would be paid to go around and heal the sick; no matter their wealth or class. He announced the plan in a speech in a cold morning in November of 1843. “It is with joy that I announce today the founding of the Ashton Health Foundation. This foundation will pay and supply doctors to go around and heal the sick of New England, no matter who they are!” The speech was met by roaring applause from the crowd. This, however, took its toll on Ashton. The speech gave him a cold, the cold developed into a chest infection, the chest infection was later diagnosed as pneumonia. Three weeks later, the president was announce dead. His VP, Cornelius Vanderbilt, was sworn in as President for the final year before the elections. He was a hated man, reactionary and a, as he once described himself, ‘poor hater’.

mDvepB2.jpg

Portrait of President Cornelius Vanderbilt

The international stage was being to take note of New England’s technological prowess, with several great powers sending praises to New England. This, as well as the opening and expanding of new factories, spurred the nations industry on. The people of New England were now determined to become the global power house in industry. In just under 10 years, New England went from a country with three failing factories and just one rail line in Boston, to having several incredibly successful factories and the North-South Line connecting the countries north and south. The people were proud, and on the 30th anniversary of independence, the whole nation celebrated.

MR14nuX.png

New England truly shows Technological Prowess!

In the final weeks of Vanderbilt’s unpopular presidency, he removed undid several popular acts, and made the Ashton Health Foundation defunct, claiming they were a “waste of government money”. This marked the end of the Democratic Parties dominance. The election was called, and Vanderbilt stood uncontested within his own party. The Federalists too experienced a similar situation, as Peterson – who was now no longer a young man and was in his 30s – was given another chance as the nominee. Vanderbilt focused mostly on attack campaigns, saying that the liberal Federalists were “unholy doom bringers”. The people however took no heed to him, instead focussing on the charismatic and brilliant Joseph Peterson. He took the nation by storm, and focused his campaign on policy and past-experiences. He told the nation how he and the Federalists campaigned for many of the, as he called it, ‘nicer’ policies – including the Ashton Health Foundation. Marcus Morton even came out and said the nation would be foolish to choose Vanderbilt, saying that even his presidency was closer to that of a liberal one. After weeks of campaigning, the nation took to the polls and the results were announced.

bXSjMx3.png

Joseph Peterson had won, ending the 30 year dominance held by the Democratic Party.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Authors Notes:
Nothing much happened whilst getting this update, so I had to improvise with the whole Ashton thing. Also, my friend wanted it to be a stupid death and that's the one we settled on.
Also, how often should I update? Once a day? Every two days? It doesn't take too long to get a new post ready - 30-60 minutes - so I could do it daily and be done quickly, especially since I have a week off from school. Also, I reckon there'd be about 19 or so more updates (ever five years plus a "world after 1936" sort of post, if I get there :p), does that seem too much? I reckon the updates would become less and less frequent as the game became slower.
Anyway, thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!

Droom - Unfortunately I think Hawaii is just a bit out of reach, though perhaps there are some other islands I could take.
HIMDogson - It could do, though Mexico owns Texas so the south wont get that. New England could intervene on one of the sides however, and easily beat the other side, since 32% of the population are soldiers for some reason - I can build 60 brigades, but I'm unsure how to change it with out editing the save file (I think I could do that?).

60 brigades?? that's a lot of factories without manpower...

guillec87 - Yeah, I have no idea why that's happening.. I over embellished the amount of factories though, there were three at the time of writing that post. Each factory had under 10,000 workers. It's a bit annoying since I want industry over military

New England Eastern Rail Co., Ltd.
Hy3G6hI.png

Founded in 1837 by then president Marcus Morton, the New England Eastern Rail Co. is the most successful rail company in New England during the 19th Century. First focussing on the coast of New England, it built the famous North-South Line connecting Boston to the north of the nation, to the far off reaches of Caribou. During the 1840s, with Morton devoting all of his time to the company, it expanded to include the rest of New England – the only region without a railway owned by the company was Rhode Island, which soon changed with the opening of the Anniversary Line in 1845. At the companies height it controlled over 55% of the rail lines in New England, with most lines being used solely for shipping freight up and down the country. This control of the nation’s rails made the company the most successful company in New England during the 1830s and 1840s, and many new railroad innovations were developed by engineers hired by the company.

The company became an incredible success, mostly thanks to the entrepreneurial skills of Marcus Morton. He famously said during the opening of the Anniversary Line “ten years ago I was President of the country. Now I am President of the company. I must admit, being President of the country was a terrible time for me; stress, anxiety, a distinct lack of money. But now I am the President of the company, and I am the happiest and most successful I have ever been. The President may control the country, but this President controls the rails.”

Authors Notes:
Hey! I know I've already posted an update today, but I got bored, made that logo, and decided to write about the company in more detail. If people are interested, I may write more of these lore-based updates on things that wouldn't really fit into a regular post, but would still be interesting to read - or at least in my opinion :p

I am interested... V2 is a game that allows such storylines

The first agenda Peterson had was the budget. As an active politician and an avid economist, he had watched the interventionist Democratic Party have high taxes, high tariffs, and high spending. He lowered taxes and spending throughout the country. Taxes were set for the poor, middle, and rich classes at 50%, 40%, and 0% respectively. The 0% tax rate angered many lower-class citizens, but they were all but ignored by Peterson as he claimed that the richer the rich are, the richer the nation is.

xfdfT6Q.png

The nations budget.

For some time the United States and the United Kingdom were battling for dominance over New England. Tensions rose however, so President Peterson expelled both the diplomats from both nations and told them that they must once again begin the process of asserting dominance over the nation. The United Kingdom failed to renew the process, and as a result lost standing with the New England government. Because of this, the United States were ahead, though public opinions of the nation were still very sour.

YgALiSE.png

The Struggle between the Lion and the Eagle.
A major issue President Peterson faced was the idea of Debtor Prisons. A local aristocrat was recently released from one after being wrongfully charged, and was campaigning for their abolishment. President Peterson met with the aristocrat, and after hours of discussion he came to his conclusion. The government would launch a full investigation into these institutions and decide whether or not they should be banned.

XUz52rg.png

The report Peterson received.
To the south meanwhile, the USA and Mexico were at war. This was not a war to conquer land, however, and was instead a war to force Mexico into the USA’s sphere of influence. This news greatly startled Peterson’s government, and they wondered if the USA would attack New England to force their imperial might over the nation. These fears eventually leaked, and a small diplomatic crisis occurred between the United States and New England, whose opinions of each other have not yet improved. However, after America won the war, these fears eventually subsided and were forgotten as the American Giant seemingly went into a slumber.

NlqpwRM.png

The wars going on in the world at the time.

It was now the final year of Peterson's term, and he passed what could be one of the most important bills in recent history. The bill, titled the ‘New England Census Bill’ made it mandatory for the government at the time to hold a census in every year ending with 0. The first census was scheduled for 1850, and was to include every man in the nation. When the census results came in, Peterson was shocked by the sheer amount of soldiers, which made up 35% of the population.

yF8aok4.png

The New England Census of 1850.

The election was called in 1850, and surprised many people. For the first time in the nation’s history, a third party candidate vied for the presidency. The candidates were:
· Joseph Peterson, Federalist – Vying for re-election, Peterson largely campaigned on the basis of continued industrial flourish, which he attributed to the governments lack of intervention in the industry. He also promised to finally close the Debtors Prison, which he said was his “biggest regret of the first term”.

· John Wagstaff, Democratic – Wagstaff was, as most people called him, a boring old guard politician who was only there to show that the Democratic Party was still around. The only region he campaigned in was Bangor, a Democratic safe seat for decades. His manifesto was lack luster to say the least.

· Eric Lamon, Nationalist – For the first time ever, the reactionary Nationalist Party had a candidate. Eric Lamon, a new comer in the field of New England politics, was previously a lawyer and worked for one of the most prolific law firms, the New England Law Association. His parties manifesto focussed mostly on the increase of jingoism with in the nation, and promised to expand the nation.

When the results came in, many people were very surprised. The Nationalist Party won many seats that were thought to go to the Federalists, and very nearly took Bangor and Caribou from the Democratic Party and the Federalist Party respectively.
RpXmEK4.png