New DLC Suggestion: Law and Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thats the thing... it's your choice how you want to run your city... a police state or the opposite of the spectrum, it would be great to have that choice...
I disagree 100%
The time, effort, resources that would have to be poured into this by CS could be used for much much much better things than this. Much better.

Reactions:
Care to divulge?
Just what the world needs.....Yet another version of CSI.

CS csi
Can there be any lower hanging fruit?

Lemme guess.......the solution to this DLC will be....... Add! Add! Add! More police stations!
Yippie!
Cims protesting a nuclear power plant? Aren't they about 50 years too late? Protesting what? Are they protesting burning oil? So the cops will come and break some skulls? I don't get the end game of the whole protesting thing. A group of cims. Yeah and so? To me this is just like cable cars. Less than 1% use them but for whatever reason we had to have them. Cims tell me their displeasure with happiness. I need to see a group of them too? I'm putting this entire concept in my minds eye and isn't just another method of showing me happiness? Do I really need two? And do I have to go out and search these protesters to find out the issue? And if I know CS, there won't be a way to pacify the protesters, or educate them etc. It will just be arrest them? Or better yet do they just fade away? LOL, I throw down a park and they shut up?

And what's my frame rate going to be after this debacle is added? Oh this will improve my rigs performance I'm so sure. It is after all the CS way....keep adding and adding and adding and adding regardless of what works or works as designed etc.

So I'll get to add routes for the police to travel? Then when the crime is solved, I then get the joy of disengaging all those travel routes? That is a BIG yippie! So when I forget, as we all will, we will all get to spend countless hours adding and removing police routes?
OMG you guys, this sounds like so much fun. Drawing and removing lines. Drawing and removing lines over and over and over again. Just typing it makes me smile!

Bus routes, busses with poles on the roofs routes, ferry routes, train routes etc. and now multiple police cars per station routes to program? Oh, yes! Sign me up! This DLC will be adding fun by the lines!!!

Why does the future just not exist in this game on any level? Busses attached to wires. A 100+ year old (clears throat) technology. This is what we get. And now, I'm going to have to micromanage crimes and police routes and sentencing and courts and probation and the solution the only solution will be to once again as it has always been.... just add add add. In this case just add more police stations. B-O-R-I-N-G

I'll give CS $6 (half price) not to produce this dead end.

Reminds me of SH...... ok...... so there is a crime added, fishing without a license. I as mayor just get the crime. I get nothing from CS csi, to curb this behavior other than to add another police station and arrest every cim. No education. No harbor police. No "um, I'm the mayor, I'll just sell more licenses. Duh." No "Only you can prevent forest fires." We get nothing as mayors from CS but the one and only solution to this game forever and ever which is to ADD ADD ADD.

Want an upgrade? Add more population!
Want to curb crime? Add more police stations!

Want to enhance your mayoral experience? Add more mods!

My frame rate will drop along with my mayoral fun factor however my bank account will not as I would never pay for this. Pay for the privilege of adding more police stations? Naw, I can do that now. Why would I pay $12 or $15 to do so when I can do it for free now? It makes no mayoral cents

I am also very aware that opinions are like buttholes in that everybody has one.
And that one line was written as a valley girl so yes you read it correctly :)

Reactions:
Eh, I don't particularly like the idea of drawing patrol routes, but I do think protests and different forms of crime could add some actual life to your cities.

The protests can be cleared by setting down police markers, like how they had in Sim City, there you can decide to just do basic policing or more aggressive measures.

Arming police could be a policy rather than another building.

If anything, I think a crime overhaul would be best for the game at this point. SH was a bit mishmash and unnecessary when it comes down to it, so I'd like any potential future DLCs to at least add to the gameplay in a coherent way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Eh, I don't particularly like the idea of drawing patrol routes, but I do think protests and different forms of crime could add some actual life to your cities.

How exactly will it add life to my city?
In my minds eye, this DLC has already been released. There are more crimes. Ok, yippie! I did not get a rush from that fact. So what now? How does it add some actual life to my city?
I have crimes now. I see the police cars driving around. I have 2% crime rate. Knowing that a bike was stolen is going to give me a rush or bring my city to some living state that it is not in now?

So if I look at a panel somewhere that shows me:
3 bicycles were stolen
2 senior cims were called boomer
1 purse was snatched
Again, I'm not getting any rush off of that. I simply don't care what crimes were committed. They are committed now and I don't know what they are nor do I care. I've played for more than 1k hours and I still don't care what crimes were committed.
Why or how would cims standing in a group make any difference to me? I see groups of cims every game I play. Every concert. Every match. Nearly every bus stop. How just how is this adding life to my city? Tell me where my rush is. Tell me how my $15 is going towards something remotely good here.

Also, protesting what? And then take it a step further, so what. They protested. I see a group of cims standing at a bus station. So another group of cims is going to add life to my city? How? Why don't I just add another bus stop?
Seriously, you have a city you are playing now. Add a bus stop. See all the cims standing at the bus stop? Was more life added to your city? Same difference between a bus stop and a protest.

And you just have to know the solution to all this is the same tired 5 year old solution CS has always had..... add more...just add more.... in this case add more police stations.....come on man after 5 years since release this is the best they can come up with? Just add more. Want a larger road? Add more pop! Want a larger service building? Add more pop! Want anything ever in this game? Just add more! Wow, that strategy is really difficult to figure out! Good thing I have multiple universities to help me!

This is without a doubt some very very low hanging fruit. I'm not paying for it. Just like I'm not paying for busses with poles on them or water farming.

Reactions:
Flavour. Making the city feel more real by having an underbelly. Crime is a serious problem that cities have to deal with and it's just too easy to solve at the minute. Plop down a police station.

I propose a more strategic method of crime fighting, as well as a less utopian outlook from the devs. Gentrification and urban decay could also play into this.

And you wouldn't pay for something like this? Yay you. I would.

Reactions:
Flavour. Making the city feel more real by having an underbelly. Crime is a serious problem that cities have to deal with and it's just too easy to solve at the minute. Plop down a police station.

I propose a more strategic method of crime fighting, as well as a less utopian outlook from the devs. Gentrification and urban decay could also play into this.

And you wouldn't pay for something like this? Yay you. I would.
Yeah, no. This is something that not only no one should pay for but that CS csi should never produce

Reason #1
Because they (CS csi) can't pull it off and have it work 100%, 100% of the time. What you are describing is far too complicated for the team to develop and implement that won't wonk out the rest of the game. This is far too complicated for the end result to be anything more than a drain on my rig and a "plop" solution.
Gentrification? You want the devs to somehow someway put gentrification into the game? No, it will never happen that would make any sense. There are professionals in today's cities that have yet to figure out the cure's for gentrification and you think some game makers can? This is what they went to school for, gentrification?
And besides what is the cure for this gentrification going to be? Um lemme guess.... Um.....Low density housing? So instead of plopping down a police station I need to put in some low density housing? Wow, there's a challenge! Plopping down some light green zoning. Stop CS, your making my mayoral head spin!
Reason #2
The exact reason you listed above...the solution will be to "just plop down a police station" and move on. It is just that simple.
Reason #3
Urban decay? So just raise the cost of the road work crews? Add a new line item in the budget, building maintenance? What in the world do you think this would like like in game? How much frame rate do you have? My God man, you must have some sort of super computer. How, just how would 'urban decay' be portrayed in this game? And so a building looks dirty or loses some color (which is about all CS can do) the solution will be what? Add another service? OMG, that is so revolutionary! So I will have another service truck running around the city? Another garage? Another line item? No, no, no to this fantasy of urban decay.

Every realism you want to add to the game the devs only solution will be.....add....add this building or that building....add this service or that service....add this level of pop or that.... it has not changed for five years and it won't with this DLC. So think about it, for every issue you raise, in your minds eye figure out what CS csi's solution will be. The only solution there can be. I can already tell you what it is going to be...add a building....drop frame rate...add a service drop more frame rate... arrest more cims....add a prison, lose more FPS. It is their solution to every city issue ever raised or that will ever be raised...add more. They know no other way. They are locked in to this solution to every issue that ever was or ever will be. It is B-O-R-I-N-G

I'm bored with this DLC already! All I need is $15, plop down additional police stations, add a maintenance shop and some low density housing and walla DLC conquered!
NEXT!

Reactions:
Gentrification could be represented by more upmarket businesses moving in and a drop in the crime rate, and urban decay would be the opposite, more crime and less desirable businesses. This could be influenced by factors in the area, such as school funding and healthcare facilities and the like. There is already a limited kind of social manipulation in the game with the School's Out policy, and it pays to have a portion of your population marginally uneducated for industry now. So it could be done. This would be adding the need for a fine balance and some thought in city layout and maybe district management.

And I'm sorry you have a low-end PC, but no-one's forcing you to buy this theoretical DLC, it's something I'd like to see.

• 1Like
Reactions:
An extrapolation of the existing data could be presented as a gentrification. That would not be the problem, I mean. But why do we need something like this in the city building game?

School's Out policy should serve the balanced educational level of the job. Or do you see political motives there?

An extrapolation of the existing data could be presented as a gentrification. That would not be the problem, I mean. But why do we need something like this in the city building game?

School's Out policy should serve the balanced educational level of the job. Or do you see political motives there?

I just think it's a bit basic. All School's Out does is less kids continue their education. I'd like to see more run down areas in the game rather than everything being shiny and clean, it adds character to certain districts rather than row upon row of sparkly buildings.

Reactions:
I'd like to see more run down areas in the game
Don't you have enough of it in reality. Or are you trying to compose that in this game? Don't get me wrong, it's really an exciting task - wanting to eradicate social injustice. But this game is not designed for that. The game cannot offer such social complexity. It can't even mimic traffic behavior 1 to 1 without grilling your CPU.

Reactions:
Don't you have enough of it in reality. Or are you trying to compose that in this game? Don't get me wrong, it's really an exciting task - wanting to eradicate social injustice. But this game is not designed for that. The game cannot offer such social complexity. It can't even mimic traffic behavior 1 to 1 without grilling your CPU.

I would like to compose that in game. A bit of simulated grot just makes the cities a bit more interesting, especially if it's a grotty area with coffee shops and stuff popping up. It's why I favour the steel tracks in MOM.

I'm more interested in simulating social injustice rather than solving it.

• 1Like
Reactions:

First of all, I seriously doubt that simulating the social injustice can be equated on level with that of simulating the traffic behavior resulting in grilling your CPU. Traffic behavior involves path-finding and lots of real-time calculations, with lots of constant adjustment, especially as the city grows. Far more than simulating social injustice, I suspect. It may simply be abstracted or a simplified representation.

Second, we don't need to deeply simulate social injustice down to the point of realism. Social injustice can present an interesting challenge in itself that requires you to be creative in how to deal with it and how to mitigate them. And maybe if you are lucky unlike the mayors of all real-life cities, somehow solve the problem of social injustice but that is extremely unlikely as it would generally require a broader partnership that not only includes the cities but also other local governments, the regional/provincial/state government, and the national government.

Realism does not equal gameplay. In other words, if the social injustice are to be implemented as a major DLC mechanic, it would need to at least offer an interesting challenge without severely impacting the enjoyability of this game. A DLC is worthless if it takes away too much of that. Thus, this implementation requires much thinking and strategy before it can actually happen. As I mentioned in first point above, it would be better to have it abstracted or as a simplified representation. To be sure, police and crime are already there as a simplified representation but I think they do have some room to take it further up.

Third, and finally, don't assume right away that the social injustice won't be fun or not interesting as a major DLC mechanic in a city simulation even if you make point by point against that. Especially if it were to be somehow implemented in a way as I outlined in second point above; the world has a way of surprising us. If Colossal Order can pull this off successfully, it would be a remarkable achievement or feat in itself.

Reactions:
of simulating the traffic behavior resulting in grilling your CPU.
Well, then you didn't notice that every CIM has a behavior table, so you could have them extrapolated, just like you described it in traffic.
Second, we don't need to deeply simulate social injustice down to the point of realism.
For the fact that we should not go so deeply, they describe it deeply complex.
To be sure, police and crime are already there as a simplified representation but I think they do have some room to take it further up.
Sure ... but, ...
don't assume right away that the social injustice won't be fun or not interesting as a major DLC mechanic
you're right, you're right, nevertheless, this has nothing to do with this City Building simulation.
The ability to manage such features in a city would be exciting. But will have no place in a brand like Cities Skylines. - It's like asking for a pandemic expansion for the Disaster DLC. If you understand the example like this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
According to the last page in this thread, people don't seem to think that any actual aspect of managing a city belong in their city simulations.

There is so much you can do with crime as a DLC concept.

A new heatmap for neighborhood safety. People don't want to live near jails or high crime neighborhoods. I guess you could update the crime map, but some places have a bad stigma.

A policy to have nightly patrols around certain places to mitigate this.

A policy to have police on bikes.

Handling the budgets and staffing. (I think CS really drops the ball with the budget window. You set everything once and never look at it again).

As far as staffing goes, you need competent and trustworthy people in those positions. A corrupt police force full of scandals leads to lack of public confidence in the system. (Riots, bar PR effecting tourism etc).

Having major crime random events that impact the perceived safety of an area for a long time. This can cause all kinds of issues with businesses wanting to move out, and lower quality of residents and businesses moving in.

You can send police to help with traffic problems, like speeding, or to undo traffic jams. Maybe even have spots along the big roads to catch speeders. Kind of like a taxi stand.

Reactions:
According to the last page in this thread, people don't seem to think that any actual aspect of managing a city belong in their city simulations.

A new heatmap for neighborhood safety. People don't want to live near jails or high crime neighborhoods. I guess you could update the crime map, but some places have a bad stigma.

Handling the budgets and staffing. (I think CS really drops the ball with the budget window. You set everything once and never look at it again).

As far as staffing goes, you need competent and trustworthy people in those positions. A corrupt police force full of scandals leads to lack of public confidence in the system. (Riots, bar PR effecting tourism etc).

Having major crime random events that impact the perceived safety of an area for a long time. This can cause all kinds of issues with businesses wanting to move out, and lower quality of residents and businesses moving in.

You can send police to help with traffic problems, like speeding, or to undo traffic jams. Maybe even have spots along the big roads to catch speeders. Kind of like a taxi stand.

This does sound pretty interesting.

I have to stop coming to this thread. It is getting odder and odder by the minute.
I hope this mess does not come to fruition.

A heat map? No, no no, I have to draw more lines? And then remove them and then add them? Over and over and over again? Yeah, no thanks. I'm not paying for that.
Nightly patrols? We have them now
Police on bikes will do what exactly that does not happen now? It is solving a problem that does not exist
Budgeting? It is just a game, a city building game. This is going to open up a entirely new game. This is a deep dark rabbit hole
You want the game makers to add "corrupt" cims? Seriously? Born with or do they acquire these traits as they grow?
Where did the crime event come from? It has to originate from somewhere. My crime rate is 2%. It can't just be spawned out of thin air
Police can't undo traffic problems. If they could, would we have the billion complaints we do now about traffic? And if the devs could have fixed traffic with police don't you think they would have long ago? There is no speeding. Again, solving a crime that does not exist.

I really don't see how any of this gets incorporated into the game. How would they even code this.
Games and real life are two very different things

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.