New Concentrate Dev is now Mostly Useless

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lead the way. Since you were inspired enough to start a thread about this, you should have no problems posting up a detailed suggestion. If it's good, I'll vote for it.

Maybe the reason why you seem so confused is because you're making things up out of thin air?

I've hardly said anything in this thread, and I certainly never expressed any opposition to making changes to concentrate dev. So yeah. Weird.
I'm not OP, but did make a suggestion about this here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/suggestion-for-concentrate-development.1497383/

Yeah... I said this the moment it was announced. Terrible decision, honestly would've been better to remove the feature entirely instead of making it something that after a couple decades in game literally only exists as a negative.

The ridiculously over developed capitals were an issue... one that could have been easily solved by making concentrate development be spread between all states, not just in a single city. Could have also increased the amount of dev lost for a further nerf, if needed. But nope, it was just nuked into oblivion.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's not just the concentrate developpement that became unusable quickly. The same is true for the Pillage Capital.

Wien is 17 dev and my capital is 44.

2021-11-12 08_39_59-Europa Universalis IV.png

I mean most people hated concentrated dev, me included, it was just a horde mode and 80 dev for ai capitals wasnt that rare, now it feels more like a relatable level of dev. The plundering of cities in a malicious way should be enough, the Leviathan DlC and Golden Century both had broken DLC features, witch broke the game and the game with them was less fun than without the,, so I am quite happy with the changes implemented by Paradox.

• 5Like
Reactions:
There should be some middle ground in conc dev betwen totally broken and OP us F like it was in 1.31 and completly usless and litteraly unusable after 20-30 years the way it is now in 1.32.

• 3Like
Reactions:
That is really annoying, a paid DLC feature already being made useless after one patch. :(

Expel minorities says hi...

This isn't the first time, and is unlikely to be the last, that something that sounds good on paper as a DLC mechanic turns out to be ridiculously powerful and ends up nerfed to useless because it is too unbalanced.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Worst rebalance of feature ever. Instead of making it functional but balanced, we've got 40 years window of use and then basically grey-out feature. Who thought this a good idea? Resign immediately from your post. Making it not usable for most of the game is balancing? Someone just went completely lazy here.... Like 5 minutes of testing show this is completely not usuable feature now.

• 7Like
Reactions:
we've got 40 years window of use and then basically grey-out feature.

Like 5 minutes of testing show this is completely not usuable feature now.

So which is it? 40 year window of use or unusable?

Frankly it's still usable just way less powerful than it was, unlike expel minorities which is now just a function that makes colonizing take an extra click (on send colonist because expelling is utterly stupid).

Reactions:
Frankly it's still usable just way less powerful than it was

Theoretically yes. But in practice this rebalance is just a laughable answer to the problem. Basically they said:::

"hhahahaha now this button does nothing. So screw you, dumb poeple who bought this................."

Rebalance is not making it completely useless in most situations. And some people thought that way it seems.

They did a button. So don't know why they redid it in a way that made it totally unusable. Why?

Logical way to improve would be to made it so you have some option to choose. Where you would have some decision to make and it would be still valid over course of the game. And with soft rather than hard cap. For example making it so you could concentrate but at some increasing cost to unrest or other stuff. In this way you still have some mechanics that is usable and mind you, you paid for it.
Greying out buttons after basically couple of use is just a lame answer. Somebody who thought this was an answer should be fired. Really this is your idea of rebalance? I'm really worried about next ideas here...........

Last edited:
Reactions:
Wasn't the whole point of concentrate development--in fact the sole marketing reason for it--to give tall players more development without having to expand a bunch?

Once again, a feature that was advertised as a selling point for a DLC is just basically erased from the game.

Can you please stop doing this already. It's like you think up features without properly testing them. It took me one game to figure out that concentrate development created an insane mega-capital the way you originally designed it, and what we got now really is not a suitable replacement for the feature.

Make concentrated development go into the capital state until the provinces hit somewhere around 30-40 development (increase this cap with tech/ideas), then spill into neighbouring states, and then states neighbouring them, et cetera. If you hit your 'concentrate cap' (i.e you only own one state), instead award ducats, government reform progress, manpower, or whatever other resource is deemed appropriate. It took me two minutes to figure out this alternative mechanic that is better than 500 dev capitals.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
So which is it? 40 year window of use or unusable?

Frankly it's still usable just way less powerful than it was, unlike expel minorities which is now just a function that makes colonizing take an extra click (on send colonist because expelling is utterly stupid).
The difference is, that you can use expel minorities right up to 1821, no matter how stupid it is, while concentrating goes away after 1/8 of the game's maximum span.

• 2Like
Reactions:
ConDev in current form makes even less sense than before rebalance.

First, you have modifiers to dev your capital. And ConDev encourage you to not use that for if you dev your capital state even once or twice you make ConDev even more useless.

Second, It's terrible idea to put mechanics behind some arbitrary dev number that's that low to begin with. What role does ConDev suppose to play here? It looks like this was not well thought-out at first and the rebalance was even less thought out because it destroyed potential of this mechanics. Before it was terrible in balance but at least it had potential. Now it has nothing after two attempts. Really? 3 DLCs to make sth working properly?

Are the ideas discuss beforehand even? Why the change make any sense? It seems somebody throw this without any consideration for purpose.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The difference is, that you can use expel minorities right up to 1821, no matter how stupid it is, while concentrating goes away after 1/8 of the game's maximum span.

Uhm no, it doesn't. You can use it effectively if you move your capital and end up with multiple provinces where it's basically tapped out if you want so at least it could still be functional for it's intended use. Expelling minorities literally does nothing about actually expelling the minority, it just increases the cost to colonize, gives the colony the wrong culture, and moves development away from your stated lands; in short absolutely nothing remotely useful.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Wasn't the whole point of concentrate development--in fact the sole marketing reason for it--to give tall players more development without having to expand a bunch?

Once again, a feature that was advertised as a selling point for a DLC is just basically erased from the game.

Can you please stop doing this already. It's like you think up features without properly testing them. It took me one game to figure out that concentrate development created an insane mega-capital the way you originally designed it, and what we got now really is not a suitable replacement for the feature.

Make concentrated development go into the capitol state until the provinces hit somewhere around 30-40 development (increase this cap with tech/ideas), then spill into neighbouring states, and then states neighbouring them, et cetera. If you hit your 'concentrate cap' (i.e you only own one state), instead award ducats, government reform progress, manpower, or whatever other resource is deemed appropriate. It took me two minutes to figure out this alternative mechanic that is better than 500 dev capitals.
I have bought last DLC for literally two reasons - monuments and dev concentration/pillaging. While monuments are more or less ok right now and overall a great addition, the other selling point has been pretty much removed, should i get my money back?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Uhm no, it doesn't. You can use it effectively if you move your capital and end up with multiple provinces where it's basically tapped out if you want so at least it could still be functional for it's intended use.

Saying that moving capital makes ConDev useful mechanics is dumb. Moving capital isn't intended here to circumvent restrictions. Next patch they will block that.

ConDev had design flaws and nobody adressed them properly. Instead we got some moving capital gimmick as an answer to balance problems?

And imagine in real life a country moving their capital over and over to make advantage of concentrating development. This doesn't work and doesn't even make sense. At least they could do sth that doesn't work but makes sense. But no. We can't have even that.

• 2Like
Reactions: