• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pengoyo

Penguin
71 Badges
Dec 9, 2015
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
I am very happy to see the Caucasian culture family is being added to the game. But I noticed that there is still a lack of cultural diversity in the Caucasus despite the region being very culturally diverse. So I decided to do a dive into the history of the region to find out more about what it looked like in the ancient era. These are my suggested new culture given my research while keeping game balance in mind (aka merging smaller cultures together and splitting larger one).

Note while I definitely think all the Caucasian cultures should be in a single culture family in I:R. For the purpose of adding some structure, I’ll present my proposal broken into the 3 Language families that the Caucasian culture group contains.

Khartvelian:
So I’d keep the Colchian and Ibero cultures that are already in the game, represented by green and white on my map respectively.

I’d add to these a new culture, Khaldian (Taochian is another possible name), shown in red on my map. This culture represent a combination of the southern Kartvelian people that were once independent but by the start of I:R have now been conquered. Note that this culture is also used to expand the Khartvelians further southwest into Anatolia as seems to be their historic range. Note it could have been stretched even further south, but I was working under an assumption that some of the Khartvelians had already been assimilated by the Armenians.
the Khaldians (combining the Tzannoi, Khalybes, Tibarenians, and others) along the coast and in the mountains to the south, til about Polemonion.
The Greeks occupied small parts of the coastal strip, while the tribes lived on the slopes. If we look at later sources, they still stretch all the way to about south of Kotyora on both the northern and southern side of the Pontic Mountains. I'd end their range around 1786. Most of these fell under the overlordship of Lesser Armenia, probably as tributaries. I don't think its worth presenting them as a separate tag though. Rather the southern slopes should be Khaldian majority, with the northern slopes having some of them in all current Graeco-Pontic provinces, and replacing the Pontic tribesmen there.

Another Khartvelian culture is the Suans (ancestors of the modern day Svans). These are the most linguistically distinct Khartvelian people and diverged from the rest of the Khartvelians around a 1,000 years before the start of I:R. They could be added if their area in the mountains was added to the I:R map. If added they should also be given a tag, Suania, that's a tributary of Colchis. The new Suania tag would control all the territory of the Suans culture except for the 2 west most teritories which aren't connected to the main Suans area. If this culture is not large enough for the devs to add (especially if the new territories are not added), then it can be left as Colchis as that's the closest related culture. Below you can see @Samitte's proposal for add new territories to the Caucus region.

Here's the next map update proposal, this time for Colchis and Suanetia. I've also included my interpretation of what Phasis based on the sources we have, with its port in the lake, and its rather large wetland. The terrain needs some more work, though, it is really hard to follow specific valleys without the heightmap.

Next up will probably be Inner Kartli, which has seen some large changes, or the Armenian heartland, which has mainly been made more sensible.

Legend:
Red Numerals - New Provinces.
Yellow Numerals - Reused provinces.

colchis.png

Disclaimer, W.I.P. image, mainly for the purpose of territories, any C&C welcome!

New Provinces:
I - Kukhlor Pass, an uninhabitable Mountain pass. This province is partial guesswork due to the highmap having been leveled here, but this is the approximate area of the Klukhor pass.
II - Anaklia (Anak'lia), covering the Swamplands around the mouth of the Enguri river. (Unlike what the same copy-pasted sentence on the internet claims, this is not Heraclea which historians place near the Adler peninsula)
III - Seti, covering the upper Enguri Mountain valley, a large province settled by hardy Suanians, the town of Seti lies at the very end of the valley.
IV - Ushguli, covering the uppermost Enguri Mountain valley, and the connection to Tsageri. An important area connecting the Suanian lands.
V - Tsageri, settled on another Mountain valley. This was one of the more densely settled valleys of Suania, together with Orbeli.
VI - Orbeli, covering the Mountain valley of the upper Rioni, connecting to Tsageri via a small pass. This was the most densely settled of the mountain valleys.
VII - Gebi, the uppermost part of the Rioni valley, which also connects to the Mamison Pass. It is a Mountain province.
Note: I was mistaken in an earlier post describing a pass on the other side of this province, its been a while since I read Braund's book.
VIII - Mamison Pass, another north-south route across the mountains goes via this Mountain pass.
IX - Kaspiskari, an exonym for a fort on this side of the Mamison pass, probably built by a group of Caucasian peoples belonging to the Circassians or Chechens. A Mountain province.

Remove and Reuse Provinces:
I - Modinakhe > Dimni, covering the Forested hills behind Vardistsikhe.

All of these would probably be under Colchian control, except for IX - Kaspiskari, which would be under control of a tag to the north (though, it would suit to add in more Caucasian cultures in this area.)

So in the map above, Suans would be added to territories 3-8 and the pass including territory 1. 9 would be the Nakhamatean (see below)

Northeast Caucasian
This group is currently represent by the Albanians in game (orange on my map). As per @Samitte advise I'd expand them north a bit. I’d also split the Caspians from them (more on the Caspians below).

A new Northeast Caucasian culture is Nakhamatean (alternatively Durjuk/Dzurdzuk), marked with blue on my map. These are the historical ancestors of the Nakh people. While adding this culture would add some cultural diversity to the Legia, I think a new tag, Durjurkia, could be added. Durjurkia would control the 5 (or 6) territories of Nakhamatean culture in Legia and would be a tributary of Legia.

Also I'd recommend Dido (alternatively Didoian), marked with purple on my map. These are the historical ancestors of the Tsez people. Adding Dido would require carving into the impassible terrain (indicated by the purple dots) to nestle this culture in the Caucasus Mountains. Additionally I think new Tag, Didoya, should be added as the controller of these new territories. This tag could be left independent or as a tributary of Legia. The one purple territory already on the map is were I believe the ancestors of the Avars are during this period (this is definitely a bit tenuous) and since they are closely related to the Dido, I thought they could be represented with Dido culture in that area. Lastly, because the Dido culture is really small, especially if the new Mountain territories are not included, the Dido and Nakhmatean cultures could be combined. Either name could work, but I'd personally recommend Dido, as the term was in use during the I:R period and it is already a name that can be used to refer to a whole sub-branch of Northeast Caucasian.

I think both of these new tags would be good additions to the game as they add some more possibilities for game play in the region.

The new Northeast Caucasian culture I’d recommend is the Dido (or Didoian), marked with blue on my map. These are the historical ancestors of the Tsez. While adding this culture would add some cultural diversity to the Legia, I think a new tag, Didoya, could be added. This tag would be on the north side of the Caucasus Mountains and would control the dido culture area currently in Legia. Could even carve a bit into the impassible terrain (indicated by the blue dots) to more acurately nestle this tag in the Caucasus mountains.

Northwest Caucasian
This entire language family currently has no representative culture on the map despite being present and in power in the region during this era. To rectify this, I’d add the Cercetae and Heniochi cultures.

The Cercetaeans (or alternatively Zikian), coloured magenta on my map, are thought to be the ancestors of the Circassian people. I propose that the dominant culture of the Zygia tag become Cercetaean. Zygia is thought to have spoken a Northwest Caucasian language, most likely the precursor to Circassian, thus making Cercetaean, instead of Sindi, the dominant culture would better reflect this (I think Sindi and Bosporean should still be present in the tag to show the influence of Scythian and Hellenic culture). Additionally, this culture would help represent how Northwest Caucasian was thought to have extend much further north than its present distribution (there is some debate about whether the Maeotians and Sindi are Northwest Caucasian themselves, I decide to be conservative and leave those two cultures as Scythian in I:R). I think Cercetaean could be extended even further northward (the magenta dots), but that might create problems for Sindi as there would not be much of that culture left on the map. But that can be resolved by moving the Sindi. See below a proposal by @Samitte for how to redristribute the Sindi and Maeotian (or possibly combine them).

Doing some reading into it, and the the only valid arguement to keep the Sindi in as a culture is to represent the Hellenised Maeotians on the coast. They seem to have settled more and even had some significant agricultural regions. And even have some 'poleis' as one author calls them, towards the 1st century BCE. However 'Sindica' was only a tiny region, not the massive one it is in game.
[...]
The 'island group of Taman' are Hermonassa and Phanagoreia provinces, the area west of the Orange line on the below map. I cant find the article that describes the delta east of that line, but it starts around Labrys. The area west of the Dark Blue line is the approximate size of Sindica. They were conquered by the Bosporan Kingdom at this point. Thus, ingame Sindi culture is completely wrong in the first place, as it inhabits the area of the Caucasian Zygians, Cercetaians, and Toretaians. As I mentioned before, it could maybe represent the Hellenised coastal Maeotians at best, but should just be removed in my opinon.
[...]
Also made a quick map to record the results of my research, since I want to have this around for future use, as I said the bits on Crimea are mainly for context and my own work. I've added in minorities (the dots with similar colours to nearby cultures) as usual. Especially in areas that cross multiple geographict boundaries.

View attachment 600995
Legend:

In the east:
Red = Sindi (Represents the Hellenised Maeotians, of which the Sindi seem the most settled, even having significant agricultural regions. However, in my honest opinion they should just be Maeotian.)
Green = Maeotians (Represents the inland peoples of the Maeotian tribal federation, who might be related to the Cimmerians, or even the Caucasians according to some! The most likely answer the Maeotians were a tribal federation of Caucasians, Iranians and/or Cimmerians. One tribe living on the four red provinces south of Tanais for example seems to have a Caucasian name (the Psessi).
Purple = Sarmatians (Includes the Siracians!
Pink = Cercetaians (Representing the Zygians, Cercetaians, Toretaians)
Yellow = Heniochians (Representing the Heniochians, Apsilians, Apkhazians, Achaians etc in your proposal. Basically all non Colchian, non Suanian peoples down there if I read it correctly. I also put them around Gyenos since thats actually not where Gyenos is, but instead the area inhabited by the Apsilians.)
Teal = Suanians

In the west:
Beige = Scythians
Light Blue = Hellenes
Light Brown = Taurians (A Cimmerian remnant, driven south by the Scythians, were the majority in the mountain ridge and kept fairy isolated there, seemingly not even trading with the Hellenes. though other populations were settled around Hellenic poleis as well, Especially in the west.)
(I havent included the Hebrew pops since I cannot find any indication for them being there, most reasoning I can find for them being there seems quite teleological as opposed to evidence based.)

Lines&Dots:
Orange = As mentioned above, the actual aproximate size of Hermonassa and Phanagoreia, which were situated on approximately 2 larger islands and 1 smaller one, though I cannot find the exact source atm.
Dark Blue = The approximate size of mainland Sindica, the region inhabited by the Sindi tribe, part of the Maeotian federation. Entirely in Bosporan control.
White = The accurate size of the Bosporan Kingom ar game start.
Dark Brown = Area inhabited by the Taurians, which remained isolated for at least the first century of the game. Only in the 1st Century BCE did the Bosporan Kingdom conquer them. And as a people they were around still by the time of Justinian.
Bright Pink dots = Main ports in the area.

The Heniochians (alternative name could be Abasgian, but might be more contentious) are thought to be the ancestors of the Abkhazian people (note they might actually be a Khartvelian people, but as both linguistic groups are in the Caucasian family in I:R, that debate can luckily be side stepped). This culture would be found in the Heniochia tag (same area as the yellow on my map) and as such the Heniochia tag’s dominate culture and characters should be changed over to this culture. Note at only 4 or 5 teritories with Heniochian culture it is definitely the smallest of my proposed cultures. So if that is too small for I:R, the culture could be folded into the Cercetaean culture.

Iranian
I’d also add one new culture to the Iranian culture family, the Caspians. The Caspians might not actually be Iranian, but, either are Iranian or are heavily influenced by Iranian culture. And most sources I could find put them in southern Azerbaijan along the coast of the Caspian sea. They might also be the ancestors of the Talysh, Gilaks, and Mazandaranis. Note this might currently be represented in game by Albanians with the Zoroastrian religion. This would just make it more definitive. Note a new Caspian territory should be added to the map (the cyan dot) to allow access along the coast of the Caspian Sea.

Alternatively the new Caspian culture could be made part of the Caucasian culture group, but still with Zoroastrian as the religion of the pops and with an Iranian names list. This would be to represent the alternative threory that the Caspians were a heavily Iranianized Caucasian people. While I think this theory is less likely, it might be more interesting from a gameplay perspective as it would make the pops/area a unique combination.

I think these additional cultures would make the Caucasus Mountains feel like the ethnically diverse region it is. And with the new cultural integration system to be added in the next update, this cultural diversity can have a meaningful impact of the game through multi-ethnic states.

TL;DR (cultures separated by slashes are ones that the Devs can combine if they want to add larger cultures)
New Caucasian Cultures
Khaldian (red)
Dido/Nakhamatean (purple/blue)
Cercetaean/Heniochian (magenta/yellow)
Suans (turquoise) [if not big enough, combine into Colchian]

New Iranian Culture or Caucasian Culture with Zoroastrianism religion
Caspian (cyan)

I also have attached a map showing where I’d add these new cultures (note green, white and orange are Colchian, Ibero and Albanian respectively).
Caucasian Culture Map6.jpg

edit: formatting

edited: based on feedback from @Samitte, for more details see their reply down below (including a new Durjukia tag)
Caucasian Culture Map.jpg

Also you can check out a proposal by @Samitte to improve Armenia (plus the surrounding areas).

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
The Cercetaeans (or alternatively Zikian), coloured magenta on my map, are thought to be the ancestors of the Circassian people. I propose that the dominant culture of the Zygia tag become Cercetaean. Zygia is thought to have spoken a Northwest Caucasian language, most likely the precursor to Circassian, thus making Cercetaean, instead of Sindi, the dominant culture would better reflect this (I think Sindi and Bosporean should still be present in the tag to show the influence of Scythian and Hellenic culture). Additionally, this culture would help represent how Northwest Caucasian was thought to have extend much further north than its present distribution (there is some debate about whether the Maeotians and Sindi are Northwest Caucasian themselves, I decide to be conservative and leave those two cultures as Scythian in I:R). I think Cercetaean could be extended even further northward (the magenta dots), but that might create problems for Sindi as there would not be much of that culture left on the map. This might be fine as it could just represent Sindi having recently become the overlords of this area.

The Sindi and Sindica seems to originally have lain primarily north of te Hypanis and moved south later on (not uncommon with tribal or nomadic peoples at all). So I think your current setup proposal is fine for the border between them and the Cercetaeans. The Sindi instead should spread further north themselves, with the dotted area being a mix between the two.

They were likely also present around the islands at the mouth of the Hypanis (Phanagoreia and Hermonasa were originally founded on islands, with Labrys being a the mouth of the river).

If the Sindi were moved further north that would definitely give the Cercetaeans more room. The question then come where exactly to move the Sindi (how far north should they expand). I'll admit to not knowing much about the layout of the Scythians during this period, so I don't think I could make an educated guess on that. So if you have any suggestion it'd be much appreciated (though I understand the sources are pretty sparse for this area during this period).

They were likely also present around the islands at the mouth of the Hypanis (Phanagoreia and Hermonasa were originally founded on islands, with Labrys being a the mouth of the river).

Aren't those Greek colonies? Or are you saying to expand Cercetaeans into the Greek territory in place of the Sindi and Maeotian, which I think could make sense.

If the Sindi were moved further north that would definitely give the Cercetaeans more room. The question then come where exactly to move the Sindi (how far north should they expand).

Doing some reading into it, and the the only valid arguement to keep the Sindi in as a culture is to represent the Hellenised Maeotians on the coast. They seem to have settled more and even had some significant agricultural regions. And even have some 'poleis' as one author calls them, towards the 1st century BCE. However 'Sindica' was only a tiny region, not the massive one it is in game.

So regardless, the Sindi should move. Aside from that, I need to do more research into the ethnography of the Maeotai to get a clear picture, since the term seems to both apply to the people living in that region, and specifically to a group of peoples.

So if you have any suggestion it'd be much appreciated (though I understand the sources are pretty sparse for this area during this period).

Aye, the sources hard to come by, and sometimes very dodgey (looking at you Ptolemy!!). But archaeology on the other hand has helped us fill in the gaps a lot, though large blank spots still remain.

Soooo... Initially I was just making a small suggestion but this became a bit of a deeper dive, which might not all pertain to your thread, however I felt some of it was relevent (mainly the extend of the Bosporan Kingdom with regards to where certain groups where) So feel free to ignore everything happening on the Crimea.:

First, a quick two definitions from Brill's New Pauly:
Sindica:
Probably originally the combined territory of the peninsula and island group of Taman to the north of the Hypanis [1]/Bug (Ps.-Scyl. 72), named after the Sindi; later it was probably only the southern part of the peninsula that bore this name (Str. 11,2,10). S. was also settled by other tribes, e.g. by the Aspurgiani (Str. 11,2,11; 12,3,29). S. was an agriculturally significant region with a dense network of settlements.

The 'island group of Taman' are Hermonassa and Phanagoreia provinces, the area west of the Orange line on the below map. I cant find the article that describes the delta east of that line, but it starts around Labrys. The area west of the Dark Blue line is the approximate size of Sindica. They were conquered by the Bosporan Kingdom at this point. Thus, ingame Sindi culture is completely wrong in the first place, as it inhabits the area of the Caucasian Zygians, Cercetaians, and Toretaians. As I mentioned before, it could maybe represent the Hellenised coastal Maeotians at best, but should just be removed in my opinon.

EDIT: Found the article:
The below image shows the approximate outline of the modern Taman peninsula in ancient times (the white dotted line), based on over half a century of careful archaeology. I've marked Labrys, which sits at the entrance to the Hypanis/Kuban delta, with a black dot. As you can see in some parts now lie underwater, which has been confirmed by underwater archaeology. This can explain our difficulties in finding many of the mentioned sites in this area which has been intensely surveyed.

The Maeotians, especially the Sindi and Dardari, would have been able to travel across the Kuban strait via the winter ice, as is confirmed by Herodotus.

kuban1.png

From: Zhuravlev, D. V., Schlotzhauer, U., Kelterbaum, D. and Porotov, A. V. 2009. Novye dannye o grecheskoi kolonizatsii Tamanskogo poluostrova. In Pyataya Kubanskaya arkheologicheskaya konferentsiya: 122-128.

For more information in English:
Tsetskhladze, G. R., 'Greeks in the Asiatic Bosporus: New Evidence and Some Thoughts' in Manoledakis, M., The Black Sea in Light of New Archaeological Data and Theoretical Approaches, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on the Black Sea in Antiquity held in Thessaloniki, 18-20 September 2015 (2016, Oxforxd), pp. 45-60.

Siraces:
Sarmatian tribe, which inhabited the steppe regions to the west of the Caspian Sea between the Maeotae and the Thatei (Mela 1,114). Under their king Ariphanes they supported Eumelus [4] against his brothers (Diod. 20,22: here Θρᾷκες is better read as Σ.). From the 1st cent. AD onwards the S. expanded southwards, where they are recorded on the Hypanis

This extends mostly beyond the below map, but I figured it was useful to you.

Tbh, the Siracian culture is unneeded, and in its post-game location right now. If they were only recorded on the Hypanis post-game, they should certainly not be the majority culture south of it. Should just be made Sarmatian around the river, with areas near the Caucasus given over to Caucasian cultures, with some Sarmatian pops below the Hypanis.

Also made a quick map to record the results of my research, since I want to have this around for future use, as I said the bits on Crimea are mainly for context and my own work. I've added in minorities (the dots with similar colours to nearby cultures) as usual. Especially in areas that cross multiple geographict boundaries.

Taurica.png

Legend:

In the east:
Red = Sindi (Represents the Hellenised Maeotians, of which the Sindi seem the most settled, even having significant agricultural regions. However, in my honest opinion they should just be Maeotian.)
Green = Maeotians (Represents the inland peoples of the Maeotian tribal federation, who might be related to the Cimmerians, or even the Caucasians according to some! The most likely answer the Maeotians were a tribal federation of Caucasians, Iranians and/or Cimmerians. One tribe living on the four red provinces south of Tanais for example seems to have a Caucasian name (the Psessi).
Yellow = Heniochians (Representing the Heniochians, Apsilians, Apkhazians, Achaians etc in your proposal. Basically all non Colchian, non Suanian peoples down there if I read it correctly. I also put them around Gyenos since thats actually not where Gyenos is, but instead the area inhabited by the Apsilians.)
Teal = Suanians

In the west:
Beige = Scythians
Light Blue = Hellenes
Light Brown = Taurians (A Cimmerian remnant, driven south by the Scythians, were the majority in the mountain ridge and kept fairy isolated there, seemingly not even trading with the Hellenes. though other populations were settled around Hellenic poleis as well, Especially in the west.)
(I havent included the Hebrew pops since I cannot find any indication for them being there, most reasoning I can find for them being there seems quite teleological as opposed to evidence based.)

Lines&Dots:
Orange = As mentioned above, the actual aproximate size of Hermonassa and Phanagoreia, which were situated on approximately 2 larger islands and 1 smaller one, though I cannot find the exact source atm.
Dark Blue = The approximate size of mainland Sindica, the region inhabited by the Sindi tribe, part of the Maeotian federation. Entirely in Bosporan control.
Dark Brown = Area inhabited by the Taurians, which remained isolated for at least the first century of the game. Only in the 1st Century BCE did the Bosporan Kingdom conquer them. And as a people they were around still by the time of Justinian.

Last edited:
Reactions:

So regardless, the Sindi should move. Aside from that, I need to do more research into the ethnography of the Maeotai to get a clear picture, since the term seems to both apply to the people living in that region, and specifically to a group of peoples.

Aye, the sources hard to come by, and sometimes very dodgey (looking at you Ptolemy!!). But archaeology on the other hand has helped us fill in the gaps a lot, though large blank spots still remain.

Soooo... Initially I was just making a small suggestion but this became a bit of a deeper dive, which might not all pertain to your thread, however I felt some of it was relevent (mainly the extend of the Bosporan Kingdom with regards to where certain groups where) So feel free to ignore everything happening on the Crimea.:

First, a quick two definitions from Brill's New Pauly:
Sindica:

EDIT: Found the article:
The below image shows the approximate outline of the modern Taman peninsula in ancient times (the white dotted line), based on over half a century of careful archaeology. I've marked Labrys, which sits at the entrance to the Hypanis/Kuban delta, with a black dot. As you can see in some parts now lie underwater, which has been confirmed by underwater archaeology. This can explain our difficulties in finding many of the mentioned sites in this area which has been intensely surveyed.

The Maeotians, especially the Sindi and Dardari, would have been able to travel across the Kuban strait via the winter ice, as is confirmed by Herodotus.

View attachment 600994
From: Zhuravlev, D. V., Schlotzhauer, U., Kelterbaum, D. and Porotov, A. V. 2009. Novye dannye o grecheskoi kolonizatsii Tamanskogo poluostrova. In Pyataya Kubanskaya arkheologicheskaya konferentsiya: 122-128.

For more information in English:
Tsetskhladze, G. R., 'Greeks in the Asiatic Bosporus: New Evidence and Some Thoughts' in Manoledakis, M., The Black Sea in Light of New Archaeological Data and Theoretical Approaches, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on the Black Sea in Antiquity held in Thessaloniki, 18-20 September 2015 (2016, Oxforxd), pp. 45-60.

Siraces:

This extends mostly beyond the below map, but I figured it was useful to you.

Tbh, the Siracian culture is unneeded, and in its post-game location right now. If they were only recorded on the Hypanis post-game, they should certainly not be the majority culture south of it. Should just be made Sarmatian around the river, with areas near the Caucasus given over to Caucasian cultures, with some Sarmatian pops below the Hypanis.

View attachment 600995
Legend:

In the east:
Teal = Suanians

In the west:
Beige = Scythians
Light Blue = Hellenes

Lines&Dots:

Thanks this is really helpful. It makes a lot more sense now.

edit: added it to the first post

Last edited:
Some thought on your proposal.

in general:
  • would the country borders align with cultures?
Siraces
Sarmatian tribe, which inhabited the steppe regions to the west of the Caspian Sea between the Maeotae and the Thatei
What about moving Siracians and Siracia to some currently uncolonized area east of Maeotia?

Sindi
  • If they were hellenized, should their religion be hellenic or heptadic?
  • Could Sindica (dark blue borders) be a tribal vassal or client state of the Bosporan kingdom?

Could these additional tribes (Cercetaians, Toretaians, Apsilians, Apkhazians, Achaians) get their own tags? And if yes, where would they be?

• 1Like
Reactions:
would the country borders align with cultures?

Which country do you refer to exactly?

What about moving Siracians and Siracia to some currently uncolonized area east of Maeotia?

Sounds good to me.

• If they were hellenized, should their religion be hellenic or heptadic?
  • Could Sindica (dark blue borders) be a tribal vassal or client state of the Bosporan kingdom?

I: From what I've read they should stay Heptadic majority, but a few Hellenic religion pops makes sense especially in the Gorgippia.

II: And no, the material is pretty clear that the Bosporan Kingdom is now in control there for a while now, they were acquired during the reign of Leucon I (389 BCE–349 BCE). It is suggested that his son in turn subjected (vassalised) the Thataens, Maiotians and Dosci. But I am not clear on whether this was still the case by the game's start since they had just gone through some recent internal conflict.

Could these additional tribes (Cercetaians, Toretaians, Apsilians, Apkhazians, Achaians) get their own tags? And if yes, where would they be?

Cercetaians: Yes, probably.
Toretaians: No, they are part of Leucons conquest together with the Sindi, Psessi and Dardari (the pink culture areas inside the white border are the Toretae).
The Apsilians, Apkhazians, Achaians: No, though the Apsilians could perhaps be a 2 province minor tribal vassal of Colchis in Tqvarcheli and Gyenos, if Gyenos is moved to its proper location.

Reactions:
Maeotia, Sarmatia, Zygia, Scythia, Siracia and Chersonesus. And since you think Cercetaians can be added, their country too.
which borders would they have?

Roughly, yes. But:

I'd give the area of 7613, 7608, 7614, 7615m 7610 to a new Aspurgiania tag. (Maiotian culture, and tribal vassal of Maiotia, Migratory Tribe)
7616 to Zygia
The remaining parts of the current Siracia tag to Cercetaia, except for 7620 (to Sarmatia).
And the Siracia tag somewhere in the Sattara area.

Reactions: