• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
bharris said:
Hello everyone. I have been lurking in this forum for a while and would like to install the C.O.R.E. mod. Is there an easy list of steps I must do in order for it to work properly?

Here are the steps that I follow when I install a new version of CORE...

Download the new version Here.
Download the patch here.
Back up your saved games.
Erase HoI
Install HoI
Install the patch
Install CORE
Verify that you have a shortcut on your desktop. This is the easiest way to see that CORE installed correctly.
Enjoy

These are the steps that I follow and I haven't had any problems.

Plus, will installing the mod affect vanilla HOI if (for some reason) I still wanted to play the original version? Thanks!

CORE won't effect your ability to play Vanilla HoI, although I can't imagine that you would ever want to go back :D. MDow

Read the description for the TV Broadcasting tech. It says that it's a trigger for some events. If you look through the events, you could have found that JAP, FRA, ITA, SOV, USA, ENG get a one-off event shortly after they first research it, generally giving -1 dissent and -80 supplies. As for why no other country (not even GER?) gets an event like those, I have no idea. I've said something about this in the CORE forum.

As for why lots of new techs do nothing and go nowhere (like Direction Finding Stations in Electronics, and loads of techs in Nuclear) that's probably because they're still working on them.

Errr ... could it be that those techs are prerequisites for other techs (almost certainly true for cathode ray tube -> early computers) ?
Alternatively are they really tcehnological dead-ends ? Could they be included for future use ? You know, techs that will only make it into v0.91 ?

Everytime I start a new game, next day there's a new CORE out ... and seeing as I always want to play with the newest stuff I have to restart :wacko:
I'll have to check it out ...

btw: this should really be in the CORE sub-forum ...

cathode ray tube is a preresearch to tel broadcasting, which can trigger events
(sorry overlooked that ) :wacko:

iconoscope ...do nothing=> at least its not mentioned in the description
do you really think they include something they are still working on???
cant imagine...

Okay, I'm an idiot.

I have tried 3 times to install 0.9 over my Platinum edition (I bought tPE just to support Paradox, even though I've had HOI since the beginning) and every time it fails to install. I end up with 0.84 only.

I've followed the sticky instructions to get around the 0.85 problems, but still no luck. I've verified the directory, etc.

Is there something special about 0.9 on Platinum? Could someone post "An Idiot's Guide To Installing 0.9 on Platinum"?

I would be much obliged ... :wacko:

Chaplain said:
Okay, I'm an idiot.

I have tried 3 times to install 0.9 over my Platinum edition (I bought tPE just to support Paradox, even though I've had HOI since the beginning) and every time it fails to install. I end up with 0.84 only.

I've followed the sticky instructions to get around the 0.85 problems, but still no luck. I've verified the directory, etc.

Is there something special about 0.9 on Platinum? Could someone post "An Idiot's Guide To Installing 0.9 on Platinum"?

If you say you're an idiot I won't argue with you on that. ;)

But why don't you try to rename the core directory to mod-core and install V0.9 again. :D

Permanganate said:
As for why no other country (not even GER?) gets an event like those, I have no idea. I've said something about this in the CORE forum.

Some countries had specific events written up for them, the rest can get the 'random' versions as 1202020 or 1202021 can fire for any nation. Thanks for all the feedback in the other thread btw, something to keep us busy for v0.91 ;)

Chaplain said:
Okay, I'm an idiot.

Did you reinstall the whole game, not just tried to update your CORE? Sounds kinda fishy to me.

I have been redeemed from idiocy.

Turns out I had bits and pieces of an old HOI install from Strategy First (shudder), and it was fouling up the 0.9 install. Once I cleared that out, everything went fine. My bad.

Thanks.

Paul Roberts said:
Where are these subs?
I'm playing a 1939 game as the Germans. All my subs, both the ones on the map, and the ones I can build, have visibilities listed as 40, 45, or 50. The last HOI game I played was (I think) 0.84 and I don't recall subs being 4 (or more) times more visible than super-battleships. Is there a special game mechanic regarding subs & visibility so that subs all have 10x the visibility of comparably-sized surface vessels?

Annoying Atomics and Jets in Core

Why, oh why it has to be so ridiculously timeconsuming to get Nuclear Research?

And what about Jets? I mean, come on, rocket and jet was already researched in 1939 and earlier, it just wasn´t put in active use.
I think that CORE game should have jets earlier in some form (range 1 square, very weak in combat).

ShadoWarrior said:
I'm playing a 1939 game as the Germans. All my subs, both the ones on the map, and the ones I can build, have visibilities listed as 40, 45, or 50. The last HOI game I played was (I think) 0.84 and I don't recall subs being 4 (or more) times more visible than super-battleships. Is there a special game mechanic regarding subs & visibility so that subs all have 10x the visibility of comparably-sized surface vessels?

I have the numbers from 0.83 right here in front of me...

The visibility of submarines ranges from 60 (aviation submarine) to 25 (basic nuclear submarine). I doubt that submarines have 4 times the visibility of super battleships which are 40 ;). The visibility was raised a few versions ago to make submarine warfare run more effectively. Most of the German submarines in 1939 should be in the area of 40 for visibility so this is WAD (Working As Designed). MDow

Permanganate said:
As for why lots of new techs do nothing and go nowhere (like Direction Finding Stations in Electronics, and loads of techs in Nuclear) that's probably because they're still working on them.

I thought it might be something like that. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out by the next release. I do like what I see, though. The improvements to the tech trees are very educational.

Using this platform as a means of learning history and technical informaiton is, in my opinion, quite the innovation.

So i spend all that precious time and ic on tv as germany and there are no events associated events with it? I was promised events! :rofl: I also noticed Germany excluded from some of the other events, ie physics conference, but not from the nuclear disaster one. :confused:
EDIT: Why do the last 2 gold techs in the nuclear tree take 6,500 days? Is there some event that triggers them?

Last edited:
I noticed that the speed of units has been increased. Finally, now the German AI actually can perform Blitzkrieg.

MateDow said:
I doubt that submarines have 4 times the visibility of super battleships which are 40 ;). The visibility was raised a few versions ago to make submarine warfare run more effectively. Most of the German submarines in 1939 should be in the area of 40 for visibility so this is WAD (Working As Designed). MDow
The visibility of the H-class superbattleships is 10, not 40. The Bismark class is 9, and heavy cruisers like the Graf Spee are 7. Care to tell me that it's WAD that my U-boats have 40+ and much larger ships like CAs and BBs have 7-10? Even if you were correct that the BBs are at 40 (and they aren't), subs are by far smaller and harder to spot. This WAD system probably explains why my visibility-40+ wolfpacks take so much damage from (and do so little damage to) Allied fleets of stealthy visibility 3-10 surface combatants.

ShadoWarrior said:
The visibility of the H-class superbattleships is 10, not 40. The Bismark class is 9, and heavy cruisers like the Graf Spee are 7. Care to tell me that it's WAD that my U-boats have 40+ and much larger ships like CAs and BBs have 7-10? Even if you were correct that the BBs are at 40 (and they aren't), subs are by far smaller and harder to spot. This WAD system probably explains why my visibility-40+ wolfpacks take so much damage from (and do so little damage to) Allied fleets of stealthy visibility 3-10 surface combatants.

It's true. Just loaded up a game (as the USA), and here are some quick visibility numbers...of course, techs are going to modify this and all, but I doubt the shift is huge.

Barracuda-class subs (basic long-range submarines): 45
Lexington-class CVs (converted large cruiser): 7
Omaha-class CLs (light cruiser): 5
Auxiliary Cruisers (ie, a transport): 5
Colorado-class BBs (super-dreadnaught battleship): 8
Porter-class DDs (large destroyer): 4

...So, yeah, a submarine flotilla is nearly seven times as visible as an aircraft carrier, and nine times as visible as a light cruiser (or a treaty heavy cruiser, for that matter). :confused: