• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steel said:
Hi Steven, which game difficulty level did you play on and which option did you pick in the additional difficulty level setup event?

About the impact of the events on the game, some are flavour only while others are very significant. Some events are 'worth' tens of thousands of IC in gained units, tech etc while others might just tweak your influence or provide some immersion factor.

Mega-stacks of ground attack aircraft is a recognised issue, as I'm sure you know the air stacking penalties in HoI are asymmetrical (applied to air-to-air but not air-to-ground) which allows large stacks to achieve ahistorical results. While we could tweak units stats to prevent this it would render smaller (historical size) air units ineffective which is not desirable.

I am playing with CORE on the hardest CORE setting, and HOI on Normal/Aggressive. I don't like playing a Mod the first time with HOI set for anything other than Normal; the "Hard" setting in HOI is only a combat penalty, it wouldn't have had much effect.

Mega-Air to ground stacks are only broken if they aren't fighting Mega-ground stacks. But to fight a Mega-ground stack you need to have lots of planes. SRP/HSR make air units really expensive, and take a long time to make; combined with giving the AI units for free. This makes the balance of air-ground more even.

I use "groups" of bombers, a stack of 3 plus a stack of 9; this lets me adjust the number of planes in a combat, which is very important if enemy planes show up. It is a way to mitigate the air-to-air penalties.

Should I be building something other than air units early? The CORE tech tree makes it a LONG time to get anything better than Basic air units; the techs just take a long time to research. So there is nothing else to do besides build lots of planes?

It also takes a long time to research "good" tanks, say Imp Mdm 70mm, so you can't start building them until early 1940 or so. And Mech takes even longer to research? Building more than a few Inf-E, or other infantry type units is a waste of manpower (expect for Paras).

I conquered Lebanon, Syria and Egypt with one Paratroop, 12 Dive Bombers and 4 Tac Bombers. I could easily conquer all of England with the same force? There are only 4-5 divisions in all of England, none in London, etc. I could probably conquer England without the Dive Bombers (and use 4 Fighters instead, in case there are any air units around).

Just seems the AI changes, and the events to help the AI from Stony Road could be added to all of CORE's nice tech and historical changes?

StevenGoodman said:
Just seems the AI changes, and the events to help the AI from Stony Road could be added to all of CORE's nice tech and historical changes?

Disclaimer: I haven't played Stony Road for awhile.

The purpose of CORE is to make the best historical model of WW2 that we can build given the limitations of the HoI engine and limits to our knowledge. One of the primary goals of CORE is to make every country playable in addition to providing that high degree of historical accuracy.

Stony Road is designed to give a player playing Germany the most difficult war possible. By focusing on Germany he has made that country very difficult to run wild over the entire world. IRC, it doesn't translate well into other major countries, much less a minor nation.

From the sounds of it, you might be able to take England quickly, but don't forget the Royal Navy. The other difficulty you might encounter would be starting a war with the Allies. You will have to defend yourself against attacks from Poland and France as well. Play the entire game and let us know what your thoughts about the historical accuracy are.

MateDow said:
Disclaimer: I haven't played Stony Road for awhile.

The purpose of CORE is to make the best historical model of WW2 that we can build given the limitations of the HoI engine and limits to our knowledge. One of the primary goals of CORE is to make every country playable in addition to providing that high degree of historical accuracy.

Stony Road is designed to give a player playing Germany the most difficult war possible. By focusing on Germany he has made that country very difficult to run wild over the entire world. IRC, it doesn't translate well into other major countries, much less a minor nation.

From the sounds of it, you might be able to take England quickly, but don't forget the Royal Navy. The other difficulty you might encounter would be starting a war with the Allies. You will have to defend yourself against attacks from Poland and France as well. Play the entire game and let us know what your thoughts about the historical accuracy are.

It is July 1940, and while all the events are nicely historical the gameplay isn't. I have already captured most of Europe, and I never really had to think much, just micro-manage. (I own, in order of conquest, Denmark, Poland, Norway, France, Belgium, Holland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Lebanon, Syria and Egypt.)

The Royal Navy doesn't matter if I capture England by dropping 3 Paras and marching uncontested to Scotland? England hasn't been well defended since shortly after the fall of France; after the fall of France England started throwing all their units against the defended beaches of France, now most of the English ground units are dead.

But all the historical events are very nice.

strange research issue

just encountered a rather strange behavior in the research area. I tried to research the main Naval Tech Lvl 7 and Submarine Tech Lvl 4 (im not quite sure about the names i wanted to get the improved medium sumbarine) both need between ~500 and ~650 days. the ´bug´ is, at some time, the research time is changed and shows up as ~800 days ?!? i changed my ministers during the research (but only exchanged one with artillery/rocket +10%), additional i got the Raeder event as Germany and went for focus on submarines.

Got any ideas ??
THX

Andrew EAGLE said:
just encountered a rather strange behavior in the research area. I tried to research the main Naval Tech Lvl 7 and Submarine Tech Lvl 4 (im not quite sure about the names i wanted to get the improved medium sumbarine) both need between ~500 and ~650 days. the ´bug´ is, at some time, the research time is changed and shows up as ~800 days ?!? ...

Did you get a random "research project sabotaged" event? (I forget the exact name.) Every time that happens, one of your projects will be set back to a much higher time to completion, usually longer than it would take to just cancel the project and start it over.

Paul Roberts said:
Did you get a random "research project sabotaged" event? (I forget the exact name.) Every time that happens, one of your projects will be set back to a much higher time to completion, usually longer than it would take to just cancel the project and start it over.

i´m not quite sure about this event. i´ll have a look

THX for the info

C.O.R.E. puppet liberation question?

I asked this question in the regular HOI board, but wanted to know if it was the same for C.O.R.E.

I want to play as Mongolia, but dont want to be a soviet puppet. If I work the nessicary cheats/events/whatever, to have mongolia annexed by the SU, and then have the SU liberate Mongolia, will the newely liberated Mongolia have all the same tech as the SU?

biffthewhite said:
I asked this question in the regular HOI board, but wanted to know if it was the same for C.O.R.E.

I want to play as Mongolia, but dont want to be a soviet puppet. If I work the nessicary cheats/events/whatever, to have mongolia annexed by the SU, and then have the SU liberate Mongolia, will the newely liberated Mongolia have all the same tech as the SU?

AFAIK, yes. If you manipulate it so that the USSR annexes Mongolia, then releases it, it will have the same techs the Soviets do at the time of release.

Patriotes1837 said:
Does CORE v0.85 work over the 1.06 patch? I know 0.82 did but I havnt seen it mentionned anywhere for 0.85. I want to avoid the airstacking penalty. Thanks in advance.

Yes it does. 0.85 is for the 1.06/HoI Platinum edition.

Suggested Improvements

I must say that since I have start playing core my HOI experience has increased and would like to thank you guys.

I thought I might make a few suggestions for you to consider.

1) After Germany captures Stalingrad I would like to see an event that eliminates all IC in that province. To reflect historically that the city was pretty much laid to waste during the war.

Can you make an event change city names? E.g I don't think Hitler would have kept Stalingrad as a name if he had conquered it.

2) Making more country options that you can liberate. i.e If I was playing any nation that had African provinces I can liberate modern African nations. E.g Libya for the Italians, Morocco for the French.

3) Have an option that keeps Japan out of a war with the SU if part of the axis. I am not sure if you already do this or not.

4) An event on the death of Rommel.

Last edited:
Pudman said:
I must say that since I have start playing core my HOI experience has increased and would like to thank you guys.

I thought I might make a few suggestions for you to consider.

1) After Germany captures Stalingrad I would like to see an event that eliminates all IC in that province. To reflect historically that the city was pretty much laid to waste during the war.

Can you make an event change city names? E.g I don't think Hitler would have kept Stalingrad as a name if he had conquered it.

2) Making more country options that you can liberate. i.e If I was playing any nation that had African provinces I can liberate modern African nations. E.g Libya for the Italians, Morocco for the French.

3) Have an option that keeps Japan out of a war with the SU if part of the axis. I am not sure if you already do this or not.

4) An event on the death of Rommel.

1. Not possible AFAIK. Province names are only in the csv files, and cannot be modified through events.

As for eliminating all IC in the province, that won't happen. What if the Germans take Stalingrad with out a fight? Would seem strange that all the IC would be destroyed in a battle that never happened. Also, it is CORE policy not to try and script specific battles or their effects. Thus you won't see an event for Pearl Harbor, or Kursk, or Stalingrad.

2. There are a lot of nations you can liberate as is. I'm not sure what all has been included, and I'd need to check the number of free "TAGs" that can be used. But IIRC, there are several African, particularly N.African nations that can be liberated.

3. This is difficult to do, with the way the game engine works. We have done what we can to limit the possibilities of a new Russo-Japanese war.

4. Rommel goes away if there's an attempt on Hitler's life which fails. Otherwise, he carries on..

JRaup said:
4. Rommel goes away if there's an attempt on Hitler's life which fails. Otherwise, he carries on..

I was talking more about an event that signified it a bit more as he did have a state funeral. You can make it even cost 100 supplies and a dissent hit or something like that as he was the peoples general in Germany because Goebbels used him regulary in his propaganda.

BTW thanks for the replies on the other questions.

Pudman said:

We could make an event which does this, but what if the Germans take the city without a fight? I have seen this in several of my games as I went crashing through the Russian frontier and grabbed Stalingrad before the Russians could regroup. As a player, I would be most frustrated if I captured the city wothout a fight and an event triggered where the industry was destroyed "in the fierce fighting."

The names of the provences are unchangable on the map. The best that we could is change the name of the city on the information screen, but I don't even know if there is an event command to do that. MDow

Moderator,
Could we have this merged into the main thread? Thank you in advance. MDow

Where did my ships go ??

Hi

When i choose the option send convoy on duty my ships disappear for good .. :confused: .I have Core 0.85 installed

Why's that ?..Is it a bug or what ?.. :confused:

Thanks for your kind answers and i must say that i am new to HOI.. ;)

Beauregard said:
Hi

When i choose the option send convoy on duty my ships disappear for good .. :confused:
They went on convoy duty.

That means that the transports were converted into convoy transports and can now be found among the rest of your unused convoys.

They are no longer separate units as before.

This thread should be moved btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.