• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to make a Brazillian AAR - 1.06c + CORE.85... problems...

Hello everyone,

First off, I must say, CORE really looks cool - but so far I've been playing around with my idea of a Brazillian AAR... it just seems too unbalanced.

The basic issue is that my superior units (I've optimized research pretty well) just do not win battles which they should. I have good leaders, with plenty of experience, not controlling too many units, and yet they loose to lower numbers + lower quality troops...

I have the both game settings to 'normal'

what's going on?

btw, I hope the core .90 comes out quickly and resolves some of these issues, I know you've been doing some work on south america ;P

Cirvol

Can't really comment without more information, typically the tooltips tell the story. When you are fighting check if you are getting large penalties for weather or terrain for example. Also if you are fighting in South America check your organisation - if the move is so slow that your org drops to zero before you arrive then the battle will be lost at once.

Help - Can't get CORE to load

OK, I am running HOI 1.06C. I downloaded Core .85 and installed, and then downloaded CORE .85 and installed.

When I click on the CORE .85 icon nothin apparently happens. However, when I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, I can see HOI.exe listed under processes running, yet nothing listed under applications. Any suggestions?

Juan Peron said:
OK, I am running HOI 1.06C. I downloaded Core .85 and installed, and then downloaded CORE .85 and installed.

When I click on the CORE .85 icon nothin apparently happens. However, when I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, I can see HOI.exe listed under processes running, yet nothing listed under applications. Any suggestions?

You should probably have posted this in the CORE forum:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145 so don't be surprised to see this thread get moved :)

Did i not tell you only yesterday about the CORE forum?...Please keep all CORE related issues in that forum...

And Husayn, what exactly was the point of your post?...

*moved

Juan Peron said:

Did you first install C.O.R.E. v0.84? You must first install v0.84, then install v0.85.

Core v. o.85 Problem- Division of Germany

It's late 1943, and I've brought the UK into Germany and crushed the Reich, wearing it down to it's balkan territories and a few hold-outs in the Sudeten. Suddenly, the event screen for the division of Germany springs up, and then wham! I get an error and the game crashes. What the deuce is going on?

Thirdfain said:
It's late 1943, and I've brought the UK into Germany and crushed the Reich, wearing it down to it's balkan territories and a few hold-outs in the Sudeten. Suddenly, the event screen for the division of Germany springs up, and then wham! I get an error and the game crashes. What the deuce is going on?

It sounds like an insurmountable bug for a very complicated event. I've actually never gotten that event, since I tend to annex Germany outright before that happens. Oh, well.

My advice is to declare victory and move on.

A few questions about CORE

Everyone has been raving about CORE, so I decided to take a look.

It is a great improvement over base HOI. All the new historical events are very nice, at least for one play. But do the events actually have any effect on the game, or are they just flavor? CORE is what I think Paradox should release when they release a game.

But even with all the new events, the game is still trivial to win? I am only to mid 1940 and I haven't had to "think" at all. (In Order) Denmark, Poland, Norway, France, Belgium, Holland, Hungary, and Rumania all rolled over in 1939; Bulgaria, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt all rolled over by July 1940. Iraq will roll over soon.

The only reason I haven't attacked the USSR yet is, I don't want to beat them with the 5 "free" MG tanks and a zillion dive bombers. But I have no expectation they will be able to stand up to lots of Imp Med Tanks, Dive Bombers and Interceptors.

I have played Stony Road (SRP and HSR) and the USSR is TOUGH. Seems Sr and CORE need to get together?

I like a lot of the stuff in CORE, but it is just to easy? I could capture England anytime I want; it isn't defended. A couple of Paratroops and 24 Dive Bombers and it would be all mine.

Thirdfain said:

Compress the save game with RAR or ZIP and email it to steel@melachea.demon.co.uk please

Hi Steven, which game difficulty level did you play on and which option did you pick in the additional difficulty level setup event?

About the impact of the events on the game, some are flavour only while others are very significant. Some events are 'worth' tens of thousands of IC in gained units, tech etc while others might just tweak your influence or provide some immersion factor.

Mega-stacks of ground attack aircraft is a recognised issue, as I'm sure you know the air stacking penalties in HoI are asymmetrical (applied to air-to-air but not air-to-ground) which allows large stacks to achieve ahistorical results. While we could tweak units stats to prevent this it would render smaller (historical size) air units ineffective which is not desirable.

Juan Peron said:
Well, I installed .85 first. It did what I have described, then I un-installed .85, installed .84, and then installed .85. Do you think I need to completely un-install HOI altogether and start fresh? thanks.

No you shouldn't need to reinstall completely if it works ok now :) Happy gaming :D

Steel said:
Mega-stacks of ground attack aircraft is a recognised issue, as I'm sure you know the air stacking penalties in HoI are asymmetrical (applied to air-to-air but not air-to-ground) which allows large stacks to achieve ahistorical results. While we could tweak units stats to prevent this it would render smaller (historical size) air units ineffective which is not desirable.

Steel,

I did not know this. Are you referring to the increased penalties applied in 1.06c, or the vanilla penalties that existed all along?

Thanks,

Terhune

Juan Peron said:
Sorry, to be clear, it is not working.

Then I would recommend that you follow these steps:

- Un-install Hearts of Iron and manually delete the game directory if needed.
- Install Hearts of Iron from your original CD.
- Download and install the 1.06c patch.
- Run the game to ensure you have a good working installation.
- Download and install C.O.R.E. v0.84 (corev084pe.exe). Make sure you install the mod to the directory where HoI.exe is located
- Start the game using the v0.84 icon to verify it's a good install
- Download and install C.O.R.E. v0.85. Again make sure you install to the directory where HoI.exe is located.
- Start the game using the C.O.R.E. v0.85 icon.

Terhune said:
Steel,

I did not know this. Are you referring to the increased penalties applied in 1.06c, or the vanilla penalties that existed all along?

Thanks,

Terhune

*fires up C.O.R.E. 1939 scenario*

Right, I've got a stack of 10 air units under Kesselring bombing the 5th and 24th Polish Infantry divisions in Bygdgoszcz. The modifiers currently shown as active are: none whatsoever. Attack and defence efficiency is an even 104 percent for each unit in the stack.

One hour later the brave but doomed Polish airforce sorties and engages the same stack. Checking the tooltips every single unit in the German stack has got a -60 Stacking Penalty modifier and overall efficiency is now down to 65 percent (base proximity +15, leadership +10, stacking -60).

After smashing the Polish interceptors I quickly redirect the bombers to study the harbor at Danzig, particularly the four squadrons of Polish ships. Attack efficiency: 94 percent. No stacking penalty in sight.

Finally, just to check one more thing, I sortie only three of the bombers (still under Kesselring) to attack Polish troops again. Attack efficiency 118 percent (no huge +60 increase from a stack penalty no longer applying).

I would say that demonstrates that the stacking penalty does not apply to air-to-ground engagements :) IMHO that's not a good implementation since it may limit large air fleets for air superiority work but it leaves players free to completely wipe out ground formations by massing let's say 24 dive bombers in one stack.

EDIT: I'll clarify a few points. This discussion is specifically on the 1.06x air Stacking Penalty. It does not relate to the Over Command Max penalty.

It is also worth not noting that the night modifiers for air combat are also asymmetrical:

Attacking human player: -80
Defending human player: 0
AI (attack/defend): 0

Quite painful, that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.