• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bad idea

renwor said:
Maybe then solution to add some doctrine or technology, prequisited by infantry tank, which would result in new type of unit "modern light infantry" which would lack the benefits of all heavy techologies, like SP arty, inf. tanks etc.

As self-correcting mechanism is working OK, I can answer myself: Bad idea
Request for new brigades I replaced by request for new unit type, like para, marine or militia, because all techs I have seen so far influence whole inf. class, not just lets say SS infantry.
So this thing wouldnt work. Still I dont like idea of dragging obsolete technologies with me to post war years. Or building marines for colonial service :(
I dont build militia on principle, waste of manpower.

renwor said:
As self-correcting mechanism is working OK, I can answer myself: Bad idea
Request for new brigades I replaced by request for new unit type, like para, marine or militia, because all techs I have seen so far influence whole inf. class, not just lets say SS infantry.
So this thing wouldn’t work. Still I don’t like idea of dragging obsolete technologies with me to post war years. Or building marines for colonial service :(
I don’t build militia on principle, waste of manpower.
i believe the best option is like the German elite or 44' just create an new model of infantry that has infantry support tanks brigades attached, that way you can mix and match watch infantry will have tank battalions attach and so for, as far as heavy tank battalions with all of the models or tank that would be more difficult but also doable, i don't know how well the AI will build things and combine new models, you would probably have to make it a human only tech and then make a AI only tech to match

Dissent/tech events for the inexperienced player.

Does anyone know the dissent/tech changes for each country? I have played a few countries and I know that some events always happen on or around certain dates. I feel it would be very helpful if there was a list of the events for each country that affects your dissent or tech gains. I am constantly wasting ICs on reducing my dissent or researching a tech only to have it reduced(dissent) or given 'for free' (tech).

Ratrick said:
Does anyone know the dissent/tech changes for each country? I have played a few countries and I know that some events always happen on or around certain dates. I feel it would be very helpful if there was a list of the events for each country that affects your dissent or tech gains. I am constantly wasting ICs on reducing my dissent or researching a tech only to have it reduced(dissent) or given 'for free' (tech).

If we tell you what is going to happen, what is the point of playing? This recreates some of the reality of the times. In real life, the leaders didn't know that an event was coming to plan accordingly. Part of that will come during your second or third game as you get a feel for the events that are included and their effects. If you really need to know what is coming, go into the events folder and read the events that are there. That will tell you exactly what is going to happen and when. MDow

Yup, we are aiming for an SP release on Sunday and ideally an MP release on the same day. Just now we're testing, doing balancing changes, fixing text errors and making some AI updates... basically the release candidate runs without errors, seems stable both in hand-on and hands-off games but there's lots of little issues like war entry, victory points and resources balance to do.

Ratrick,

This sounds like a decent idea. I personally do not have time to pursue it, and also I mostly already know which techs and dissent hits to expect as my player country (I play faaaar too much...).

However, this is a kind of project that really doesn't CORE people to run. You can simply start a document, a thread, or a website, and document the techs and dissent hits gained from events. Other people can contribute.

To get you started, I offer a short list of tech gains and dissent hits, for Germany, from my memory:

1. Some land doctrines for helping in initial SCW event.
2. Some more land doctrines, air doctrine new level, for helping our Franco in SCW in second event, gained after SCW ends. I usually don't bother with land doctrines, EXCEPT the special one Germans get, until this event hits.
3. Bulldozer technology, gained from highway extension, in early 1939.
4. Big dissent reduction for gaining Austria in anschluss in spring of 1938.
5. Big dissent reduction for gaining Sudetenland on October 1st, 1938. This is why you can ignore the dissent hit in August of 1938...
6. Promising volkswagen cars in 1938 (I think) - you can gain some industrial tech, mass assembly of vehicles, plus moderate dissent reduction, for some coal, steel, oil, and rubber.
7. Mid 1940 usually, the followup delivery of volkswagen cars event: you can deliver them for a BIG dissent reduction, very useful, or get 2 motorized divs - silly IMHO.
8. Berlin Olympic Games, summer of 1936, good dissent reduction, major warentry reduction for all democratic nations.
9. End of Czechoslovakia, spring of 1939, also gives a minor dissent reduction. Followup event, a month later, gives a choice of all the armor tech you need for a basic medium tank, 40mm I think, or 2 armored divisions.

These are the big events, from my memory, up until the fall of France. Obviously, there is the Vichy choice, and also pressing Yugoslavia, which can lead to dissent reduction, and a free DoW on Greece in most circumstances.

I hope this was of use to you.

Zerli

You.
Guys.
Rock.

Thank you. To summarize: HoI was never a finished product, CORE makes it worth playing for countless hours (esp. since MP was introduced at 0.51 or so).

To clarify, I do love Paradox and I don't mind buying a prequel to sponsor development, and it's genious to allow so much modding so the community can build on so-so products and create something like EEP or CORE.

I feel all mushy and sentimental. Thanks.

Oh well guess the girlfriend will be going shopping on her own on sunday, what a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Poland,France,USSR: Way to fast to conquer !

my first game with 0.71

okay, first the stats: 0.71sp,hard/agressiv,normal core; playing germany and have 120 InfEngies, 12 mech engies, 12 Stuka in August 39, all StartDivisions and AustrianDivisions were disbanded by myself.

1st September: let the mechs roll
4th September: mechs arrived in Lublin via Krakow & Warzaw.....wtf im able to annex now ????....well, okay annexed :rolleyes:
5th September: WTF, France has just 40+ Divisons ?? let the infE roll
16th September: my mechs arrive in Paris(after roaring down the autobahn back from Lublin), Maginot is kesseled with 20+ Divions
some weeks later vichy triggerd.
Overall losses (France AND Poland): LOL WOT ??! just about 34 MP ?!

well, okay, maybe i should have waited until May 40 to have a nice battle against france, but i couldnt resist to take this oppertunitie :p .

1941: 144 InfEngies, 24 mechengies, 12 PzIII engies, 12 Stuka, 12 TactialBasic,18 bf109d at channelcoast
USSR: 200+Inf, 10+mot,25+Tanks, air overall40+ units

01st May 41: let the panzers roll
01st August: Leningrad, Stalingrad german, Moskwa kesseled with 60+ Divs
22nd August: Stalin offers peace for the first time, moskwa still kesseled
24th November: Magnitogorsk is in german hands, USSR has 70+ Divs left, my losses about 500 MP ( most of em by whiping out MoskwaKessel...should have wasted the luftwaffe on that and not just running into Moskau with 48 Divs, took me about 200 MP losses :wacko: ).
Sometime in spring 42 Bitterpeace triggerd and i took the uraloption, since then peace in Russia, its 1948 and im going to invade USA, since the only navy left ist the Kriegsmarine...even the Japanese Navy consists of german ships, because they were smashed by the USNavy in the early stages of war.

Okay, as u can see, this went way to fast, after 3 weeks westwar was over, and Barbarossa was over after kesseling Moskwa with 60+ Divs.
What did i wrong ? i even made a 3 Spear run through russia to lenin/stalingrad and moskwa, but nowhere the russians gave me adequat battles expect for Moskwa.
technologies were nearly even to the russians, i was a bit in advance in landdoccies, but just the ones for tanks and the russians had the better tanks.the rest were equal, i even think russian inf were a bit better than mine (+2SA/HA; org same as mine).
maybe i shouldnt have used the Luftwaffe so often (nearly every Battle was supported by at least 6 Stukas or Bombers)

I think the mechEngies are way to fast (basic Halftracks with engies results in a speed of 13 !! 3times faster then the normal enemy infDivision !!!).

if u need savegames, pm me, ill sent them to u.

TankSchreck said:
my first game with 0.71

okay, first the stats: 0.71sp,hard/agressiv,normal core; playing germany and have 120 InfEngies, 12 mech engies, 12 Stuka in August 39, all StartDivisions and AustrianDivisions were disbanded by myself.

1st September: let the mechs roll
4th September: mechs arrived in Lublin via Krakow & Warzaw.....wtf im able to annex now ????....well, okay annexed :rolleyes:
5th September: WTF, France has just 40+ Divisons ?? let the infE roll
16th September: my mechs arrive in Paris(after roaring down the autobahn back from Lublin), Maginot is kesseled with 20+ Divions
some weeks later vichy triggerd.
Overall losses (France AND Poland): LOL WOT ??! just about 34 MP ?!

well, okay, maybe i should have waited until May 40 to have a nice battle against france, but i couldnt resist to take this oppertunitie :p .

1941: 144 InfEngies, 24 mechengies, 12 PzIII engies, 12 Stuka, 12 TactialBasic,18 bf109d at channelcoast
USSR: 200+Inf, 10+mot,25+Tanks, air overall40+ units

01st May 41: let the panzers roll
01st August: Leningrad, Stalingrad german, Moskwa kesseled with 60+ Divs
22nd August: Stalin offers peace for the first time, moskwa still kesseled
24th November: Magnitogorsk is in german hands, USSR has 70+ Divs left, my losses about 500 MP ( most of em by whiping out MoskwaKessel...should have wasted the luftwaffe on that and not just running into Moskau with 48 Divs, took me about 200 MP losses :wacko: ).
Sometime in spring 42 Bitterpeace triggerd and i took the uraloption, since then peace in Russia, its 1948 and im going to invade USA, since the only navy left ist the Kriegsmarine...even the Japanese Navy consists of german ships, because they were smashed by the USNavy in the early stages of war.

Okay, as u can see, this went way to fast, after 3 weeks westwar was over, and Barbarossa was over after kesseling Moskwa with 60+ Divs.
What did i wrong ? i even made a 3 Spear run through russia to lenin/stalingrad and moskwa, but nowhere the russians gave me adequat battles expect for Moskwa.
technologies were nearly even to the russians, i was a bit in advance in landdoccies, but just the ones for tanks and the russians had the better tanks.the rest were equal, i even think russian inf were a bit better than mine (+2SA/HA; org same as mine).
maybe i shouldnt have used the Luftwaffe so often (nearly every Battle was supported by at least 6 Stukas or Bombers)

I think the mechEngies are way to fast (basic Halftracks with engies results in a speed of 13 !! 3times faster then the normal enemy infDivision !!!).

if u need savegames, pm me, ill sent them to u.

If you are looking for a more difficult game, set HOI to VH, but set AI to normal and select option 3 in CORE (Most challenging). This gives the main combattants extra impulses and extra techs and gives you a flag for flavoured but annoying events :p (edit), But on the other wait because 0.8 will be out soon, compatable with 1.06

Air power does make a considerable difference if used in a focused way to support breakthroughs, there's been some discussion about increased air defence etc to prevent the issue of entire armies being wiped out in a 48 hour bombing campaign.

Did the Russian capital move when Moscow was encircled? If not, that would have a considerable effect on the supply situation for the Soviet armies. BTW I think you'll also find that the next version has a rather different tempo of operations as some problems were fixed by Paradox.

How will you(CORE) handle diplomacy points now that they have increased the cost of tech sharing? I mean that it's difficult enough 1st try to get allies because you need high di points to have better chances and then you should throw di points away with tech sharing. I'd like to share tech as much as possible. If I recall you had tech sharing event's or some such?

Just let us know have you planned any changes for the next CORE version.

IMHO the increase in DI cost for tech share is a good thing, previously it was possible to do this at zero cost which was not good design. There's no plans to include free tech sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.