• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
...is there any Winged Hussar sprite that you could convert? Now that would overjoy my little Polish soul, I could finally conquer Moscow with style...any chance? ;)

I'm providing two versions of this one (Poland Level 2) - one attacking with a lance and the other firing a pistol. Choose which one you prefer:

Download Polish Winged Hussar Fighting with Lance
Download Polish Winged Hussar Fighting with Pistol

Again, drop it into your For the Glory folder and overwrite.

The STAND and WALK files are the same for the two versions, only the FIRE files are different.

Unfortunately, the sprite is so large (especially with those wings) that it was difficult to position in the screens.

BTW, have you had the chance to look at the A4K country file yet?

Last edited:
BTW, have you had the chance to look at the A4K country file yet?
I used it for my updated countries.txt. I had some doubts, first, using other sprites than those provided by the game but seeing them while playing removed the doubt completly. Outstanding work!

I noticed some sprites are missing the siege cannon, e.g. HEL and ETH.

I noticed some sprites are missing the siege cannon, e.g. HEL and ETH.

That's strange. I thought that the siege cannon is a completely separate thing. Are you sure that it wasn't just because the number of attacking troops was fairly low? I haven't noticed anything like that in vanilla.

By the way, have you seen post #40 at the end of page 2 of this thread?

And it seems the spr-files for those sieges are missing so the cannon is not displayed.

Yes, you're right. I really hadn't noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'll have to make some new spr files for the new army codes.

As mentioned above, the cannons weren't appearing for the armies with the new army codes when seiging.

So I've created some new .spr files to correct this.

All you need to do is to drop the download into your For the Glory folder.

Download seige .spr files here

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, Spadge, but could you release a single modern sprite of infantry, without the cannon if possible (unless the ones you have for DH work fine here)?

Are you planning to have this single sprite represent all the countries in FtG?

The FtG and DH sprites are fully interchangeable, so you can take any sprite used in one of the DH/AoD mods or included in a sprite pack and simply re-label it for this game.

Is there a particular sprite from DH/AoD that you would like to use?

For now, yes, a single sprite. And no, I don't really have anything chosen.

Thanks!

When you say modern, do you mean WWII, Cold War or present day?

Present day, but right now I'll make do with the WW2 Italian sprite you've made which looks fine enough for the moment.

However, I'm having some problems,
The files are named like this:
T-ARMY C-MIN A-FIRE D-E.spr

And the palette:
CS-MIN-ARMY-L.bmp

EDIT: tried removing the "-L", but nothing happened.

Can you find what's wrong?

The countries.txt does say MIN.

Last edited:
Present day, but right now I'll make do with the WW2 Italian sprite you've made which looks fine enough for the moment.

However, I'm having some problems,
The files are named like this:
T-ARMY C-MIN A-FIRE D-E.spr

And the palette:
CS-MIN-ARMY-L.bmp

EDIT: tried removing the "-L", but nothing happened.

Can you find what's wrong?

The countries.txt does say MIN.

Do you want to use the sprite for all four levels?

At least for now.

EDIT: Might get banned for something I did, so maybe it's done.

Well, I'm not sure what you're referring to there, but I'll convert the Italian sprite myself and adjust it so that it fits into the FtG combat and re-organisation screens. I'll probably be able to post it up this evening.

What I meant was that I might not get the update posted if I'm banned, but thanks, as I should still be able to check this board.

But it doesn't need to fit the screen does it? In fact, making them smaller will be good, as the provinces in MyMap are smaller and keeping the units small should show them further away from each other in the combat window, which is more appropiate for the period.

Last edited:
OK, here it is:

Here's the download link

Drop it into the main FtG folder.

Note that I had to label the sprites as French. I'd forgotten that for some reason the game doesn't like you replacing the MIN files, and you end up with a sparkling image if you do this.

So, I'm afraid that you'll have to go through the country file and change all the armies to 'FRA', as I did with some of the ones you can see in the screenshots.

If you drop the files into the orginal sprites you will need to delete the old Level 4 spr files in the Unit folder, because they are labelled differently.

To get rid of the cannons, go to the Unit folder and delete these spr files:

Scotland:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=314504

A full set for all four levels would be nice. And please replace that silly clansman with that gun-wielding guy. Maybe add a British Highlander infantry man as lvl 4.

Hello Basileios,

I need you to be a bit more specific about the Scottish units. Please name them as they are called on the civfanatics page.

The Highland Pikeman mid 16th is probably the nearest we've got to a Level 1 unit. Note though that because of the way he holds that long pike he won't fit properly into the re-organisation screen.

As for the replacement for the ''silly clansman'' :glare: in Level 2, did you mean the Highland Arquebusier or the Highland Musketeer?

For Level 3, did you want the Fusilier or the Mercenary?

These appear to be Imperator's first units, and there is a very slight fault with the STAND file. The sprite moves one pixel sideways at one point in the sequence. You can only really see it if you look closely, however, so it isn't a disaster.

Don't worry about Level 4, I've got just what's needed for that.

Hello Chicken Spadge!

Yes, I meant the Highland Pikeman as LVL 1 unit, the Highland Arquebusier for LVL 2 and the mercenary for LVL 3.

I called the Clansman "silly" because he's not really an upgrade in the technological sense. All other nations get someone wielding some kind of gun while Scotland gets the clichee Highlander from those cheap romantic novels.:happy:

Btw: Are there any nice units which could be used for Ukraine ( foot Cossacks) or advanced Byzantine units? I know I'm pestering you with quite a lot but then those sprites are absolutely gorgeous.

Cheers.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

As for the other units you mentioned, I'm afraid that the Byzantines only go up to Late Medieval (see here). You might find what you're looking for with the Cossacks on this page, where I got some of the Russian units from.